My point was that what you see in Linux and CMS are not two different
things..   a Linux 'cat' and CMS 'TYPE' are pretty equivalent -- and a
packed file looks garbled using either one.

I think Neale had a good idea in making the Linux 'file' command recognize
this particular signature so at least Linux knows it is packed and not text
format - just as it knows about tar, gzip, etc even without a particular
filetype in the name.

Scott Rohling