>>> On 5/22/2016 at 10:45 AM, WF Konynenberg <w...@konynenberg.org> wrote:
> In Linux/Unix, a file is simply a byte stream.  Any format information
> about a structured file should be accessible to the application by some
> means, so it can know how to parse the file. Since the CMS file system
> stores structured files of different types/modes, this meta information
> in the file system should somehow be made available to applications in
> Linux/Unix when accessing the file system through cms-fuse.  There are

Sounds like you're starting to argue Alan's case here.  Have the file system
driver do the heavy lifting for you.  I don't think that's likely to happen.

> various ways to achieve that, e.g. represent each CMS file by 2 files in
> Linux/Unix (similar, I think, to how "resource forks" are handled in
> Apple systems), one containing the data, one containing the meta data,
> or, alternatively, add a header to each file that represents the meta
> data from the file system (though this might break some existing
> applications that currently expect to find only the actual data in the
> file and somehow "magically" know the meta data...), etc, etc. Finding
> the most suitable model will likely require some creative thought on the
> part of the developers.  Perhaps the representation model can be made to
> depend on a mount option, with the default being backward compatible
> lack of metadata.
>
> Just simply saying "sorry, this critical meta data from the CMS file
> system is not available in Linux" basically means unnecessarily
> crippling Linux access to the CMS file system.

Again, Alan's original suggestion was to teach cmsfs-fuse about such things.

I suppose one could use a combination of cmsfs-fuse and Rick Troth's wonderful
CMSFS package.

s390vsl204:~ # cmsfs-fuse /dev/dasdg /mnt
s390vsl204:~ # l /mnt
total 34024
drwxrwx--- 2 root root      512 May  4 18:56 ./
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root      172 May 18 19:00 ../
-rw-rw---- 1 root root      160 May  4 17:07 FTPBOOT.PARM
-rw-rw---- 1 root root 34812720 May  4 18:56 INITRAMF.IMG
-rw-rw---- 1 root root     2000 Oct  1  2012 KAKKA2.EXEC
-rw-rw---- 1 root root     2000 Oct  1  2012 KAKKA3.EXEC
-rw-rw---- 1 root root     2000 Oct  1  2012 LINUX.EXEC
-rw-rw---- 1 root root     2000 Oct  1  2012 S11S2GM.EXEC

s390vsl204:~ # cmsfslst -f /dev/dasdg
FILENAME FILETYPE FM FORMAT LRECL       RECS     BLOCKS     DATE     TIME
         DIRECTOR P0 F         64          8          1  5/04/2016 19:56:38
         ALLOCMAP P0 F       4096          2          2  5/04/2016 19:56:38
FTPBOOT  PARM     B1 F         80          2          1  5/04/2016 18:07:40
S11S2GM  EXEC     Z1 F         80         25          1 10/01/2012  6:23:36
KAKKA2   EXEC     Z1 F         80         25          1 10/01/2012  6:27:42
KAKKA3   EXEC     Z1 F         80         25          1 10/01/2012  6:28:18
LINUX    EXEC     Z1 F         80         25          1 10/01/2012  6:27:00
INITRAMF IMG      B1 F         80     435159       8500  5/04/2016 19:56:38

I don't think the file command is going to be extended to handle this, however.