Greetings Mark,  I finally am able to successfully reboot the system.
I will try to test to see what actually worked.

From:   Mark Post <mp...@suse.com>
To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date:   01/26/2017 06:19 PM
Subject:        Re: Unable to IPL the system after resizing "/" btrfs
            filesystem
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

>>> On 1/26/2017 at 04:14 PM, Michael J Nash <miken...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
> I have a z/linux SLES12 system built with the btrfs file system.
> I successfully add and resize the "/" file system.
> When I reboot the system I hit an endless loop on the system with a
"start
> job".
>
> btrfs device add /dev/dasda /

Never use the base device for anything.  Always use a partition.

> btrfs filesystem resize max /
> A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duuid-b2732... 5s
>
> Same results when I add !0.0.0604 and dasd=0604 using YAST.
>  hvc_iucv=8 TERM=dumb resume=/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.3120-part2
> crashkernel=204M-:102M cio_ignore=all,!0.0.0604,!ipldev,!condev dasd=0604

If this is a z/VM system, you should disable cio_ignore entirely.  Either
way, for a SLES12 (not SP1 and not SP2) system, when you add another device
to the root file system, you will need to manually re-run grub2-install.
Also, make sure that you used dasd_configure or YaST to bring the DASD
volume online.  Those are the two ways to make it come online across
reboots.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or