>>> On 1/30/2017 at 09:19 AM, Michael J Nash <miken...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Greetings Mark, thank you for your reply.
> Please explain the reasoning for disabling cio_ignore.
> The reason I would not want to do this is because these guest systems may
> be used for IPL of different distributions and/or releases.
> I may IPL a SUSE 12, Red Hat 6.7, or a Red Hat 7.2 system.  Having disks
> visible used by other systems may cause problems.
> Also, LVM volumes may conflict with naming conventions, For example: both
> systems using the same volume group name.

The cio_ignore feature was introduced primarily for LPAR installations.  It
helps speed up booting because the kernel doesn't try to enumerate every single
device it can find.  For z/VM environments that have relatively very few
devices available, it's not needed.  I can't speak for RHEL systems, but I
think it's pretty much the same as for SLES.  That is, unless you make a device
persistently online, it's not going to come online by itself, so you shouldn't
run into problems with LVM, extraneous DASD volumes being online, etc.
Disabling cio_ignore in a guest means that people won't be constantly tripping
over it when it's something they've not had to do for over 15 years.  There are
a number of things that you have to remember to do yourself when cio_ignore is
active if you're not using YaST to do things.  In general, it's a PITA for
guests.