Come to think of it, I think an IFL is a single zSeries core.  z/VM can
fake it, though that's "overcommitting" the CPU resource.

Despite my NOT looking at the zSeries Principles of Operation I somehow
doubt the zSeries has hyperthreading...  as the z/VM OS would be dispatch
threads.  On the Intel CPUs, Linux is pretty smart in making a
hyperthreaded CPU "double" the number of dispatchable resources...  for
each "core" built into the die.

So I'm going to boast about my ignorance;  I don't think an IFL CP implies
multiple "cores" handling the zSeries instruction set.

-soup

--
John R. Campbell         Speaker to Machines          souperb at gmail dot
com