z/OS supports ZIIPs with SMT-2 as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Altmark [mailto:alan_altm...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:52 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: How many Intel cores does an IFL emulate

Thanks for advertising, Soup!  :-)

 In fact, IFLs are the only engines on Z that have SMT-2, where each core in
the LPAR splits in two, appearing to the host as twice the number of CPUs.
 Alan

 Sent from my iPhone using IBM Verse

 From: soup...@gmail.com
 To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
 Date: Nov 8, 2017, 8:36:39 PM
 Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] How many Intel cores does an IFL emulate

   Come to think of it, I think an IFL is a single zSeries core.  z/VM can
  fake it, though that's "overcommitting" the CPU resource.
  Despite my NOT looking at the zSeries Principles of Operation I somehow
  doubt the zSeries has hyperthreading...  as the z/VM OS would be dispatch
  threads.  On the Intel CPUs, Linux is pretty smart in making a
  hyperthreaded CPU "double" the number of dispatchable resources...  for
  each "core" built into the die.
  So I'm going to boast about my ignorance;  I don't think an IFL CP implies
  multiple "cores" handling the zSeries instruction set.
  -soup

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=XX3LPhXj6Fv4hkzdpbonTd1gcy88ea-vqLQGEWWoD4M&m=eYU776321iiJg2XjRTylqK4_Sz9wjs0WKrKDOmwzhb8&s=VcV1mJ2gCYKMenPFgZ5fOGyenJ87wpav1R-3MTMwkRA&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wiki.linuxvm.org_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=XX3LPhXj6Fv4hkzdpbonTd1gcy88ea-vqLQGEWWoD4M&m=eYU776321iiJg2XjRTylqK4_Sz9wjs0WKrKDOmwzhb8&s=l6b7c2i0QG7nmc3lYnkNPEDNmbRK5ZGaZAhI7gGU5OY&e=

  --
  John R. Campbell         Speaker to Machines          souperb at gmail dot
  com

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=XX3LPhXj6Fv4hkzdpbonTd1gcy88ea-vqLQGEWWoD4M&m=eYU776321iiJg2XjRTylqK4_Sz9wjs0WKrKDOmwzhb8&s=VcV1mJ2gCYKMenPFgZ5fOGyenJ87wpav1R-3MTMwkRA&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wiki.linuxvm.org_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=XX3LPhXj6Fv4hkzdpbonTd1gcy88ea-vqLQGEWWoD4M&m=eYU776321iiJg2XjRTylqK4_Sz9wjs0WKrKDOmwzhb8&s=l6b7c2i0QG7nmc3lYnkNPEDNmbRK5ZGaZAhI7gGU5OY&e=

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=MQsKeOxcIGeiq-qoJzO2oVgUmKB65Wchl7khwwU0Ijk&m=5m_HW5HHsJo8keiXUnumfx_YUfZORFV-JdasIbf5_GM&s=X8qOnpZWgREJThx0jDDDZGzTZLB1gjvNVXX4EpQno-k&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wiki.linuxvm.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=MQsKeOxcIGeiq-qoJzO2oVgUmKB65Wchl7khwwU0Ijk&m=5m_HW5HHsJo8keiXUnumfx_YUfZORFV-JdasIbf5_GM&s=hllBz-_lnaW_LTBx5hYh_fh78xhVSYhBA5FtUXZD-2c&e=