and my two cents:

1) don't forget that energy efficiency and hence cost is yet another
factor for comparison.
Scaled up, Z does rather well in this respect.

2) CICS vs RISC: the distiction is so blurred that to even talk in these
terms is difficult. Most Z instructions are implemented in H/W. We moved
away from horizontally microcoded instuctions with the advent of s/390.
Only very complex   instructions are now implemented in firmware called
millicode - see the IBM Reseach Journal article by Heller and Farrell when
s/390 was announced. There may be many cycles consumed to take an
instruction though the entire pipeline but  the perceived cycle time will
be very much smaller because of out-of-order exection, and the superscaler
pipeline. Instructions are gouped dispatched by the h/w according to
dependencies. Performance will depend on how optimally the instruction
steam is presented to the processor - as with all modern CPUs - and that
depends on how well the compiler undertsands the pipeline characteristics
and the design intent of the program.  When comparisons are made are we
comparing simply comparing the CPU or are we confounding this with
compaler comparisions? Many architectures have "non-functional"
instructions that drop hints to the h/w as to where the dependencies will
arise and where the instruction  stream is likely to go. Correct use of
these can bring benefit and the converse is true.  Predictions from
benchmarks can only have a limited use. Actual comparisions of the real
workload have to be made. Selecting  corretly the level of  optimization
or even the correct compailer is just as important.  If you are not using
a compiler (ie writing in BAL) then these days it's very difficult to
write efficient and maintainable BAL.  That's not a z observation - it's
becuase of OOO   superscaler design of modern processors.

Richard J Moore -- Z  millicode & zVM development
Ext: (M) 37264807/ (L) 37247072;  Cell: (+44) (0)7739-875237  Office:
(+44) (0)1962-817072
IBM Academy Member -  http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/academy/index.html
Linkedin Profile
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/richard-j-moore-fiet-fbcs-ceng-citp/4/4b1/748

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 08/11/2017 02:11:23:

> From: John Campbell <soup...@gmail.com>
> To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 08/11/2017 02:16
> Subject: Re: How many Intel cores does an IFL emulate
> Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> GHz is GHz primarily when comparing CISC vs CISC.  While you can try to
use
> this, a lot depends upon how well the microcode can make a CPU process
the
> "usual" machine code.
>
> CISC vs RISC-- zSeries vs pSeries, for instance, the GHz (I remember
when
> it was 2MHz for mainstream microcomputer CPUs) more closely maps to
> instruction issue rates rather then microcode steps.
>
> All right, I'm going to age myself.
>
> A long long time ago I wrote microcode for the Sperry UNIVAC Array
> Processor supporting geophysical processing;  At the time it was
> implemented in TTL logic and had an instruction fetch rate of 100ns.
> Maximum theoretical compute capability was approximately 120 MFloPS (you
> can laugh, now, but this was in 1981) though, in "sustained" rate, could
> almost get up to 80MFloPS which, frankly, was pretty cool.  We were
doing
> 3D FFT processes... and, so, I had to doink with I/O subroutines (on the
> 1100 CPU end) to allow the I/O system to handle the trace shuffling.
Yeah,
> there were multiple steps in the instruction processing--  IF, OD, CD,
etc,
> etc, etc-- and use of graph paper to get them to all be coded in the
> "right" order was pretty much de rigeur.
>
> CISCs are hard to compare.  zSeries "SS" instructions don't exist in the
> Intel CPUs (all right, so I've written BAL for 360s and 370s as well as
> Intel CPUs) so the instruction mix, as executed makes comparisons
difficult.

> RISC processors are more comparable w/r/t clock rates;  DEC Alpha,
PowerPC,
> MC88K, etc, etc, etc, because, with the low impact instructions, the
> fetch/execute is pretty predictable.
>
> With CISC CPUs there have been all kinds of efforts to optimize them.
Some
> CPUs "internally" re-order instruction processing in order to get the
best
> performance.  I've also seen indications that compilers can be a lot
more
> clever in terms of optimizing the generated code.
>
> -soup
>
> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Barton <bar...@velocitysoftware.com>
wrote:

> > Yes.  Gigahertz is gigahertz.  If you can measure ghz consumed on x,
you
> > can guestimate requirements on z.   The only way to understand
requirements
> > is to know current use.
> >
> > Barton
> >

> > > On Nov 7, 2017, at 8:28 PM, Victor Echavarry Diaz <
> > vechava...@evertecinc.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > We receive a request from a new customer for a z/Linux guest on a
BC12.
> > The specification that the vendor supplied is for an intel platform.
Does
> > anyone know is there a formula to convert intel cpu cores to IFL?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Victor Echavarry
> > >
> > > System Programmer
> > >
> > > Operating Systems
> > >
> > > EVERTEC, LLC
> > >

> > > WARNING: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential
> > and
> > > intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are
> > > addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it
> > immediately.
> > > Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are
> > solely those
> > > of the author and do not necessarily represent those of EVERTEC,
Inc. or
> > its
> > > affiliates. Finally, the integrity and security of this message
cannot be
> > > guaranteed on the Internet, and as such EVERTEC, Inc. and its
affiliates
> > accept
> > > no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this
> > email.

> > > For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> > > send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO
LINUX-390

u=http-3A__www.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=hsO4Lk6XlJWxPC1OayT7oG3wyw3H8GpACVStAsDQDSM&m=6h8X9oU4b-

Q0m0028lSv9hggZyvd2MAVahBRDGcRqZc&s=hdIWV4mNyDc8rwmzK3GO1ZpEaCDWnOcEDXAgOIu7c1g&e=

> > > For more information on Linux on System z, visit
> > > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=http-3A__wiki.linuxvm.org_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=hsO4Lk6XlJWxPC1OayT7oG3wyw3H8GpACVStAsDQDSM&m=6h8X9oU4b-

Q0m0028lSv9hggZyvd2MAVahBRDGcRqZc&s=vv6NRI9Kt91DGHfx4ZveOT66D2odS4gCVkq603hOuxc&e=

> > For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> > send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or
> > visit
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?

u=http-3A__www.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=hsO4Lk6XlJWxPC1OayT7oG3wyw3H8GpACVStAsDQDSM&m=6h8X9oU4b-

Q0m0028lSv9hggZyvd2MAVahBRDGcRqZc&s=hdIWV4mNyDc8rwmzK3GO1ZpEaCDWnOcEDXAgOIu7c1g&e=
> > For more information on Linux on System z, visit
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=http-3A__wiki.linuxvm.org_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=hsO4Lk6XlJWxPC1OayT7oG3wyw3H8GpACVStAsDQDSM&m=6h8X9oU4b-

Q0m0028lSv9hggZyvd2MAVahBRDGcRqZc&s=vv6NRI9Kt91DGHfx4ZveOT66D2odS4gCVkq603hOuxc&e=

> --
> John R. Campbell         Speaker to Machines          souperb at gmail
dot
> com
> MacOS X proved it was easier to make Unix user-friendly than to fix
Windows
> "It doesn't matter how well-crafted a system is to eliminate errors;
> Regardless
>  of any and all checks and balances in place, all systems will fail
because,
>  somewhere, there is meat in the loop." - me

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?

u=http-3A__www.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=hsO4Lk6XlJWxPC1OayT7oG3wyw3H8GpACVStAsDQDSM&m=6h8X9oU4b-

Q0m0028lSv9hggZyvd2MAVahBRDGcRqZc&s=hdIWV4mNyDc8rwmzK3GO1ZpEaCDWnOcEDXAgOIu7c1g&e=
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=http-3A__wiki.linuxvm.org_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=hsO4Lk6XlJWxPC1OayT7oG3wyw3H8GpACVStAsDQDSM&m=6h8X9oU4b-

Q0m0028lSv9hggZyvd2MAVahBRDGcRqZc&s=vv6NRI9Kt91DGHfx4ZveOT66D2odS4gCVkq603hOuxc&e=

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.