On Thursday, 01/25/2018 at 12:23 GMT, "Wheeler, Mark L"
<mark_whee...@optum.com> wrote:
> I have a mix of z13 and zEC12 LPARs in an SSI cluster. For MAINT (an
IDENTITY),
> all report Q CPUID "correctly". From MAINT640 (a USER), all report 2827.
If you
> issue Q CPUID on MAINT640 on every LPAR, do they all report 3906? If
not, how
> does the result match up with the order of the IPLs during your cutover
from
> z13 to z14? Just a guess, but it could be that any IPLed while a z13 was
still
> in the cluster would report 2964, while the last one to be IPLed during
the
> cutover would report 3906.

Any Linux server that was booted anywhere in the cluster BEFORE the 4th
LPAR joined the cluster will report 2827.  Any Linux server booted AFTER
the 4th LPAR joined will report 3906.

When an SSI member is shut down, it saves the virtual machine type of the
SSI domain.  When it boots and it is the first member of the cluster, the
SSI domain will be set to that saved value (z13 in this case).  All others
who join will accept that value.  This is necessary in case one of the
other members is still on a z13.

After the last member of the cluster joins, they will discover that they
can upgrade the SSI domain to a z14.  CP does so and notifies the guests
in the domain that there has been a configuration change and they should
interrogate the machine again for changes.  This is the same signal the
machine sends to an LPAR when you have done a concurrent upgrade.  The
issue is that Linux ignores the signal.  Once he reboots, he should report
3906.

I believe QUERY CPUID would have shown 2827 until the 4th LPAR joined.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323