Thanks!

Shutdown -r did take them from a z13 to a z14 (no vm logoff).  Are you saying
it wouldn't downgrade them as well?

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan
Altmark
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 11:03 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Box confusion

On Thursday, 01/25/2018 at 05:02 GMT, Marcy Cortes
<marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> When we take 2 of those LPARs back over to a z13, I'm guessing the
cluster will
> downgrade itself to a 2827 and the guests that remained on the z14
wouldn't be
> live relocatable anymore.  Correct?

Almost.  The SSI domain will indeed be downgraded to a z13.  However, virtual
machines that are already logged on (i.e. on the z14 LPARs that stayed up
during the switchover) will remain at the z14 level.  If you QUERY RELODOMAIN
you will see that those guests will not be able to relocate to a z13.  If they
logoff/logon or re-IPL, then they will convert to z13 and again be eligible to
relocate to any member.  (shutdown -r doesn't cause a system reset, so that
wouldn't count.)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant IBM Systems Lab Services IBM Z
Delivery Practice ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com
IBM Endicott

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/