On Wednesday, 12/11/2019 at 04:18 GMT, "Hamilton, Robert"
<rhamil...@cas.org> wrote:
> I'm interested in this too. I am following the read-only root
documentation,
> which is starting to show its age a little (RedPaper redp4322 is good,
but
> copyright 2008), but still has good stuff about gold instances,
maintenance and
> cloning.
> The other documents I have are the workbooks from some VM and Linux
> installation classes I've taken, but a lot of the preparation stuff is
skipped
> over.
>
> like, where and how to put an ISO. Nothing I've found in any cookbook
says how
> it was done, or what tools I can use to manage or unpack an ISO. BFS?
OMVS? RPI?

> I'm just interested in the latest doc. I'm trying to install ClefOS and
manage
> it as cleanly as possible.

Mike and I are in agreement about read-only root:  Don't do it.
Intellectually appealing, but impractical.  It's good for a ysprog to play
around with such things to see what's *possible* with the available tech,
but just because a thing CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

When we start to aggressively push process-changing Z tech into the Linux
admin world, it creates a rift.  The x86 Linux admins wash their hands of
Z, leaving it to a sysprog who isn't part of the Linux admin team to do
Linux administration.  And the sysprog is now left with another job and no
pay increase for doing it.  You don't get invited to the Linux admin
parties and you're not part of strategy discussions.  You get left behind
and sand gets kicked in your face.  You get exasperated eyerolls and the
occasional "OK, Boomer."

The real learning moment is when you simply ask your Linux admins, "How do
you install new Linux servers in your virtualized environments?"  Based on
that answer, you figure out how Z can fit into that model.  Just keep in
mind that better tech isn't always "best".  By all means, ask them if
<some cool Z thing> would be of value to them, but be prepared to accept
"No" as an answer, no matter how much inherent mainframe coolness is
there.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323