Just a lurker with a question and idea...
How big is the minix code (x86 not source)?  If it is big (relative to a
_plain_ FAT) maybe the minix fs is not necessary? and memory could be
freed by simplifying the filesystem?  I understand the many limitations of
FAT but it appears that elks is going to be able to make an x86 a
relatively powerful workstation (kinda)... but a true multiuser box? are
ownership and permissions going to be as useful as the additional
workstation like functionality that can be added with the saved memory?

If the mem taken up by the minix code is relatively small forgive my
ignorance.  Just wondering.