Actually I'm a subscriber of both lists so I might lend a little
insight.  FD's current and primary mission is to get a working
DOS 3.3x compatible work-alike going.  Next would be to add the
fancy gizmos and such to the OS.  Multitasking and 386 versions
are very much coveted but those in charge feel that it is less
important than getting a working version.  Since the original
maintainer left the project, developement has sped up greatly
and more people are involved.  Though the project owes Pat for
releasing his original kernel thru GPL, the project also owes
Pat for leaving the project.  Many had resentment towards him
for "code hoarding" though cannot say that I feel the same
because I never attempted (I'm pretty much a lurker on both
lists ;).  I believe now that all help is greatly welcomed
and additions that ELKS/GNU/anyone can bring will be of great
help.

Louis