On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, David Murn wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Joseph Dunn wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if it would be possible to port Linux's TCP/IP software
> > to ELKS.
>
> Not really.  The linux driver is WAY to big to fit in ELKS.  Even the
> minix driver (which is made for small memory machines), takes around 50k,
> iirc.  It would need to be a very small driver, such as the one used in
> etherboot.  This was what I based some of my code on.
there is some VERY small TCP/IP code (6502 assembler) as part of AS/OS65
which as an entire OS fits in something like 20K.  The assember code
wouldn't be overly useful in and of itself, but it would be interesting as
an example of how to implement a very small tcp/ip stack.  I don't have
the URL off hand for the OS web site, but if anybody is interested I could
find it.

Tracy Camp                                                       503.380.3218
Hurrah Internet Services                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Consultants to the Networked World                     http://www.hurrah.com/