> ne2000 uses the same ethernet controller as wd8003 and 3c503, being the
> 8390.  There is already a driver for the 3c503 sitting in the ELKS tree,
> so modifying it to ne2000 should be fairly simple (just change the check
> for the mac address, and make sure it works).

One thing I feel compelled to mention about ne2ks:

In the Linux ne2k driver, it checks the card's ROM for a couple of magic
bytes to positively ID the card.  If you're using an el cheapo generic ne2k,
be aware that sometimes those magic bytes aren't what they should be.  On
occasion I've had to mildly mung the Linux driver to get it to work with a
card that was only 99.44% pure ne2000.

This may have completely no relevance to writing an ELKS driver for these
cards, but if it saves anyone the hours of headache that these cards have
given me, then it was worth the bits spent on this message.  :)

-starling