> There was a Z80 add-on chip that could be purchased for a C64 or a C128.

> I think few people used it, tho... :-)

The Z80 wasn't an add-on for the C128, it was there all the time.  The C128
shipped with CP/M-Plus.  I think using CP/M depended upon having a 1571
drive rather than the 1541.

The 128 was fairly useable as a CP/M machine as it had an 80 column screen.
The C64 w/ Z80 cartridge was still 40 columns, IIRC.  Getting software to
the C128 disk format was a pain, though.  I think the C128 still had
non-standard serial ports, so even a NULL modem cable was more complicated
than it needed to be.

Most of the time, C128s got used as a C64 for gaming, and as a C128 in
80 column 6502 mode for word processing and spreadsheets.  I don't know
of many that used them as CP/M machines.

Eric