why insist on intel junk being the one to clone off of, Z80's were the one's
that were cloned by the 8088 in terms of capability, intel badly needed a
competitor to the z80 and at the time they also needed a 16 bit processor so
they came out with crippled thing with a weird indexing way of memory access.
IBM bought it for their "pc's" and talked the government(ie thru IBM clout)
into using these along with Microsoft's junk. the colleges followed suit,
thru deals that only IBM pc's got from government, and soon IBM and its
clones were left as everybody got on the bandwagon for the new way of
computing.
Intel was't and still isn't the only thing. Check out the source code for CPM
as mentioned earlier on this list, and if you really want to see z80 code
check out a cdrom that was offered thru cdrom.com that had code for cpm
computers and alot of it will only run on the z80 as that code was much more
efficient.