David Murn wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> We dont really have a networking layer. I don't that is in itself a problem
> since you can prove you send/receive frames correctly and the rest is someone
> elses problem.

Agreed.  My ne[12]000 code (which should be in the CVS tree by now),
should in theory let you send/receive frames.  The fact that it doesn't
properly work is a minor problem, however I'm suspecting only a tiny bug.

OK, call me stupid, but how can I get to the CVS tree ???

> There are some ideas for the stack kicking around. One thing for sure.
> The stack will be a userspace app.

I dunno about this.  I think that a stack is fittable into kernel space,
and this is how I intend to write the bits of it when I get ethernet stuff
working.

Agreed, but for initial coding, it may be best to run in user space till code fairly near to completion.

Who is Beau Kuiper, and is he still working on the networking stuff ???
Or is David working on it ????

These may seem like simple questions, but I am getting the feeling the docs are little out of date :)

DOSemu is great, but it has the problem that I can't talk to physical
hardware.  For developing other code, such as tty code, or userspace apps,
I gotta agree dosemu is great.  I tried vmware too, but it seemed a bit
excessive.

Have I mentioned BOCHs already ;)