On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> We dont really have a networking layer. I don't that is in itself a problem
> since you can prove you send/receive frames correctly and the rest is someone
> elses problem.

Agreed.  My ne[12]000 code (which should be in the CVS tree by now),
should in theory let you send/receive frames.  The fact that it doesn't
properly work is a minor problem, however I'm suspecting only a tiny bug.

> There are some ideas for the stack kicking around. One thing for sure.
> The stack will be a userspace app.

I dunno about this.  I think that a stack is fittable into kernel space,
and this is how I intend to write the bits of it when I get ethernet stuff
working.

> Develop using DOSemu on Linux. It saves that annoying reboot cycle, and
> you can use the DOSemu ioport logging to debug it ;)

DOSemu is great, but it has the problem that I can't talk to physical
hardware.  For developing other code, such as tty code, or userspace apps,
I gotta agree dosemu is great.  I tried vmware too, but it seemed a bit
excessive.

Davey