David Murn writes:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Alistair Riddoch wrote:
>
> > > Agreed, but for initial coding, it may be best to run in user space
> > > till code fairly near to completion.
> >
> > There is alot to be said for this as an idea. Its much easier to debug
> > user space code, and it doesn't bring the system down when it crashes.
>
> Sure about that? :)  I think the stability at the moment is that if any
> programs do the wrong thing, the system is gonna crash either way :)
> Anyone tried crashme on ELKS yet? :)

If it is running in user space you can put asserts in so that it crashes if
something goes wrong internally, and then just re-run it again when it
crashes. Easier to re-produce errors as you don't have to reboot each time
you run it, and you run less risk of introducing random behavoir into the
kernel. For instance if you start dereferencing NULL pointers in user
space, the system itself won't crash. If you dereference NULL or corrupt
pointers in kernel space, it starts behaving really oddly.

What, appart from the obvious, does crashme do?

Al