From: SamIam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Distribution comparison-Final thoughts (long)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:08:45 -0600

Too bad you left out one of the best distros for ease of installation
and use, Mandrake 7.0.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: IE on UNIX
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:10:17 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 01:47:16 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >But we find that even this is split up.  Lots of people still like using
>> >fvwm or whatever.  It wasn't until RedHat and others started
>automatically
>> >installing Gnome that it's useage started really going up.
[deletia]
>So, they're volunteers?  Is it trying to be a business class professional OS
>or a hobbyist Toy OS?  If the answer is the former, then volunteer status
>has little to do with anything.
>
>My argument is that Microsoft has not been "holding back" the development of
>the computer industry, as some people have suggested, it's this duplication
>of effort that has.

        How are you going to progress? Obviously you're going to have
        to build on what has already been done. Allowing for a diverse
        collection of different ways to approach a particular problem
        is far more likely to yield progress than a 'one true way'.

        Microsoft has had effective control over consumer computing
        technology for over 10 years. They could have chosen to do
        great things with that power but chose not to. Instead they
        would rather wait for others to come up with good ideas and
        then swipe those ideas and then run the inventor out of
        business.

        This certainly encourages technology to stagnate.

        HELL, they haven't even completely gotten rid of XT DOS yet
        and it's been 15 years since the introduction of the 386.
        They've even go so far as to actively discourage users from
        switching to their own relatively clean alternative.

        That's truely sad.

[deletia]

        Resistance is not futile.                          / | \

                                Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wolfgang Weisselberg)
Subject: Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K
Date: 24 Feb 2000 18:13:52 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:24:56 -0500,
        Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When MS does migrate hotmail to W2K - will you suddenly decide that that was
> the only critieria you needed satisified to prove how powerful and wonderful
> W2K is?

I can *hear* your sarcasm through the ASCII-encoding.  Especially
on the "powerful and wonderful" part.

> Suddenly you will drop your false pretenses and rush to embrace it?
> If not, what other than trolling is the point of your post?

Rubbing salt in the festering wounds.  M$ has tried to make
Hotmail run on NT, but their enterprise class operating system
failed to scale.  Hmmm.

Now, if *they* do *not* manage to get it to run under w2k (i.e.
having so little thrust in their *own* products ability) and
still tout it as the best thing since sliced bread, what should
I think about the rest of their claims?

No, Hotmail on w2k does not make w2k a winner.  But failing to be
able to makes it a sure loser when it comes to Hotmail-style
computing needs.  And wasn't NT already hyped to be able to do
that kind of stuff?

-Wolfgang

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: LINUX = COMUNISM
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:13:30 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 05:09:31 -0500, Stephen Voss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> If capitalism is invariably so much more efficient than communism, tell
>> us why, after ten years of capitalism, and after ten years of economic
>> support from the West, Russia now is very much poorer than it was ten
>> years ago?  And why has the life expectancy in Russia gone down at least
>> five years since the advent of a "free-market" economy there?  Just
>> wondering.
>
>Russia by no means is an honest capitalist society. The term repeatedly
>used to describe them is "Kleptocracy" , the government gave sweetheart

        Rusia was the same way before. That's the real problem:
        pervasive institutionalized graft and corruption.

        This is even reflected on the individual level in education:
        students were expected to cheat and to assist others in cheating
        for the sake of the class such that the class average wouldn't suffer.

>deals to excommunists  and mafia, who bought the businesses for a song and
>sold them for a high prices and then sent the money overseas.

        Even with all that, the Russian standard of living is still better
        these days. Decentralized graft is much more likely to ensure that
        there is kielbasa in the stores.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: How does the free-OS business model work?
Date: 24 Feb 2000 18:19:30 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:42:38 GMT, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>On 24 Feb 2000 08:50:17 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Assuming that *everyone* can make these copies of the product, it is the
>>case. The reason why MS Word and MS Dos did OK is that fortune 500 companies
>>and the government have a hard time getting away with using pirated software.
>
>       That sort of falls flat for the games and the music artists.

No it doesn't. Reputable record dealers cannot afford to sell illegitimate
copies.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Linux Demo Day a letdown
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:16:58 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 05:00:03 -0500, Stephen Voss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Why did I have **no** trouble getting RH4.2 installed in 4 hrs in 1997 ?
>> Why did Linux find my net card then, when Windows couldnt ?
>> Why did my second machine network almost straight away after I also
>> installed Linux on it in 1997, via NFS, from the first machine ?
>
>Because your a linux geek thats why!

        I was a Windows user the first time I installed Slackware.
        I never had done any Unix admin, although I had done a fair
        amount of PC level futzing courtesy of Uncle Bill.

>> Hang on, why did Yggdrassil install *no* problems for me in 1993 ?
>> Found the soundblaster pro etc,
>
>I still have problems with my AWE 64

        Redhat picked up the pnp AWE64 on this machine that I'm typing
        on just fine actually.

>> No I think it may be you ?
>
>Perfect Microsoft style...its never our fault its always the users fault.

        Some users are rather lazy and unwilling to put forth any
        effort, not a herculean effort, but any effort. Such a
        user would likely complain about an iMac not being enough
        like Windows.

        You may be just that sort of user... or not.

>> Coyotebert, Linux IS NOT Windows, we dont care what Microsoft does, Microsoft
>> has NO impact on us. Maybe it does on Redhat or Suse, who are both commercial
>> companies, however Linux enthuisasts such as myself, will continue to use it
>> continue to learn about it, and continue to write software, tech manuals
>> design equipment, and work the net with it, regardless of Microsoft.
>
>You dont think commercial distrubitions have an effect on the quality and
>quantity
>of software available???

        Nope. Linux is still driven by the developers. The distros just
        package up what others have done and put a nice bow on it. Infact,
        it is better this way. Redhat's old admin tools are a really good
        demonstration of this.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:21:25 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:59:34 GMT, Peter Seebach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Craig Brozefsky  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[deletia]
>>My theory, which is mine, that I made, is that Piracy is bad because
>>it aggravates the whining, possesive and spoiled brat, Bobby, the
>>ur-child of The Enlightenment.
>
>Quite possibly.  On the other hand, as long as we're talking about all
>crime only in terms of observable physical harm, most of the things we
>generally agree to be "wrong" are not really wrong, and therefore shouldn't
>be criminal.
>
>Do you think it should be illegal to point spy cameras in people's bedrooms?
>If so, you have just invented yet another kind of IP law.  :)

That would just be the extension of common law regarding one's residence.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 24 Feb 2000 18:26:45 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:52:29 GMT, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>On 24 Feb 2000 08:38:26 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 24 Feb 2000 06:54:57 GMT, Mitch Blevins wrote:

>       An entire OS was started by a 'home user'.

Nonsense. It was started by a graduate student in a University. Linus
was not and is not "Joe user" by any stretch of the imagination.

>       Some VERY useful shareware and the orginal PC 'killer app' were
>       created by small groups of people or individuals with an 'itch
>       to scratch'.

And more yet were not. Oh, and what, they're shareware, and not
"Open Source" ?

>>>  Individuals
>>>will still write programs to "scratch their itch".  Groups will come
>>>together to create programs that are useful to them, or even just
>>>for the sake of a good hack.
>>
>>This isn't much help for people who don't know how to program.
>
>       Even if FreeBSD and Linux didn't exist, this would still
>       be flatly contradicted by what was available in the
>       previous computing culture.

No it wouldn't. Not everyone is happy using Latex and emacs. Not everyone
has the time and inclination to become a Linux systems administrator. Yet again,
you prove to the group that you have little or no idea what the average
home user wants or needs.

>>The problem is that there is a very real audience of people who do not
>>know how to program, but are willing to pay for the right to use a piece
>>of software. These people are well served by the IP licensing model,
>
>       No they aren't. They're going to get ripped off and stuck in
>       a trap of vendor lock and planned obsolescence. It's specifically

No, they're not. One only needs to see how cheap several of these home user
applications are to see that they are not ripped off. "Forsaken" was in
my local computer shop for $5-. Quake 2 for $20-. Some resum'e makers
for $20-. For the amount of development effort that goes into this software,
these prices are very reasonable.

>>which makes available software that OpenSource developers are unable to
>>provide answers to ( eg games, multimedia, Office suites ) These people
>>don't want to wait until some Dow 30 company needs the same piece of
>>software that they want, or until Joe Hacker decides to throw something
>>together.
>
>       They don't care really. All they wan't is something that's
>       "good enough" and doesn't cost much.

And licensed software seems to be meeting the requirements, as the sales
of Win 9x indicate. Linux on the other hand does not meet the needs of
this type of user.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Propagandist Chad Myers Lies About Linux 150 Times
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:26:07 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:55:02 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > I believe you are mixing the hapless Win9x registry with the WindowsNT
>> > registry.
>> >
>> > I started working with NT right around NT 4.0's release (I was playing
>> > with a beta copy, so it was 95 or so) and, even in an beta copy of NT,
>> > I have NEVER seen a corrupt registry (well, once I saw one on a drive
>> > that had 80% bad clusters and was heading south fast).
>> >
>> > I have seen them frequently in Win9x, so you must be talking about
>> > Win9x. In WinNT, there's no need for repair.
>>
>> Of course, by that reasoning I could say that ext2 doesn't need
>> journalling, as I have never lost data because of it.
>
>Let me restate the above...
>
>The registry is a transactional, locked, and logged database.
>
>Should catsasstrophy <grin> strike, NT can reply the log file and
>roll-forward, and roll-back changes in the event of failure.

        So then, what's the command to do a registry recover
        to a specific 'known good' date?

        What happens if your transaction log is toasted? Can
        you mount the transaction log somewhere else? Is the
        transaction log visible and available for filesystem
        level backup and recovery.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 24 Feb 2000 18:28:16 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:58:12 GMT, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>On 24 Feb 2000 08:24:12 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       Furthermore, with proper abstraction you need not give away
>       'the whole thing'. You can keep your core advantage and simply
>       release that which has become mundane or a commodity.

Hey, am I misunderstanding, or are you conceding that free software and
commercially licensed software can coexist ?

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:30:14 GMT

On 24 Feb 2000 18:19:30 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:42:38 GMT, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>>On 24 Feb 2000 08:50:17 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>Assuming that *everyone* can make these copies of the product, it is the
>>>case. The reason why MS Word and MS Dos did OK is that fortune 500 companies
>>>and the government have a hard time getting away with using pirated software.
>>
>>      That sort of falls flat for the games and the music artists.
>
>No it doesn't. Reputable record dealers cannot afford to sell illegitimate
>copies.

        Since when have you ever been limited merely to reputable dealers?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:37:07 GMT

On 24 Feb 2000 18:26:45 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:52:29 GMT, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>>On 24 Feb 2000 08:38:26 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>On 24 Feb 2000 06:54:57 GMT, Mitch Blevins wrote:
>
>>      An entire OS was started by a 'home user'.
>
>Nonsense. It was started by a graduate student in a University. Linus
>was not and is not "Joe user" by any stretch of the imagination.

        Actually, I don't believe he was a graduate student at that
        time. Either way, it's more important that he believed he
        was capable of the task rather than have particular formal
        qualifications.

        'home user' doesn't necessarily mean novice, even when the
        user in question is 12 and has no letters after his hame.

>>      Some VERY useful shareware and the orginal PC 'killer app' were
>>      created by small groups of people or individuals with an 'itch
>>      to scratch'.
>
>And more yet were not. Oh, and what, they're shareware, and not
>"Open Source" ?

        Different culture.

        However, the fact remains that the two major PC killer apps
        were both produced by people scratching itches in Universities,
        not by some salivating profiteer.

        Even quite a bit of the commercial stuff was striclty 'itch scratchers'
        and commercial exploitation was just an afterthought.

        That's an important aspect of this issue. There are far more consumers
        than producers. The greater ultimate interest is going to be in
        lowering prices. Add in some world wide collaboration and this becomes
        quite feasable. This is especially true in the case of more expensive
        products like Oracle or BMC Patrol.

        The market sees that the distributed production cost of reverse
        engineering a solution from scratch is ultimately cheaper than
        buyware and then goes for the cheaper option.

>>>This isn't much help for people who don't know how to program.
>>
>>      Even if FreeBSD and Linux didn't exist, this would still
>>      be flatly contradicted by what was available in the
>>      previous computing culture.
>
>No it wouldn't. Not everyone is happy using Latex and emacs. Not everyone
>has the time and inclination to become a Linux systems administrator. Yet again,

        If you think free editors are restricted to Latex and emacs
        then you have no business indulging in this argument.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: SCSI vs. IDE (Re: My Windows 2000 experience)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:39:09 GMT

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:13:02 -0000, Eddie Dubourg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message >
>> What? You Win32 power users don't have network access
>> to scanner hardware yet... <snicker>
>>
>Our HP Scanjet has been networked for years (WinNT)
>
>It's just the users that aren't, and putting pages on a scanner 2 floors
>down and 3 buildings along, running back to a desk, pressing the scan
>button, running back, changing pages, running back, pressing scan, running
>back, changing pages...........
>
>It's a bugger.

        In which case I would expect there to be a nice conveniently
        placed hub there for end users to plug their laptops into
        instead of trying to plug the scanner in directly.