Linux-Advocacy Digest #378, Volume #34           Thu, 10 May 01 01:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: bank switches from using NT 4 ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product) ("Jan
Johanson")
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product) ("Jan
Johanson")
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product) ("Jan
Johanson")
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy  product) ("Jan
Johanson")
  Re: MS Must be getting really desperate (p@r)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters ("JS PL")
  Re: Double whammy cross-platform worm ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: Double whammy cross-platform worm ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: Linux disgusts me ("Mad.Scientist")
  Re: Linux disgusts me ("Mad.Scientist")
  Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the closed  source
model doesn't work! ("Mad.Scientist")
  Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the  closed  source
model doesn't work! ("Mad.Scientist")
  Re: The Microsoft PATH. ("Mad.Scientist")
  Re: the Boom, Boom department ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: the Boom, Boom department ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: 9 May 2001 23:10:19 -0500

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:DB5K6.12401$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3af8d97b$0$41639$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > No - a monopoly is NOT illegal. Period. YOU look it up and find out that
> I'm
> > right. I state that as a fact - prove me wrong.
>
> Right - it is what Microsoft did with the power of their monopoly that
> was proven illegal.

At this point in time, yes, it was ruled that MS abused their legal monopoly
status and did something illegal.
But it's in appeal ... the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 9 May 2001 23:11:08 -0500

> Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 09 May 2001 06:38:27
> >"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:3af8d97b$0$41639$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>

> >> No - a monopoly is NOT illegal. Period. YOU look it up and find out
that
> >I'm
> >> right. I state that as a fact - prove me wrong.
> >
> >Right - it is what Microsoft did with the power of their monopoly that
> >was proven illegal.
>
> That's word-games, pure and simple.  There's only one thing you can "do"
> with the "power of monopoly".  'Monopolize'.  Doh!  Made illegal by
> section 2 of the Sherman Act.  Go figure!  ;-/

no - you go figure.
A monopoly in and of itself is not illegal. Period.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product)
Date: 9 May 2001 23:15:13 -0500

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 9 May 2001 00:54:05 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Perhaps this is because you would open NOTEPAD and not run edit.com -
DOH!

> Not in a telnet session I can't.
>

> > WHY on earth would you penalize yourself with some crappy text based
> > interface when a beautiful set of antialiased fonts of any size you can
> > imagine are right there on your desktop?
>
> Maybe because I'm using the new telnet server that MS provided with
> their new OS.  Or does it not understand window resizing either?

Perhaps when you graduate from the hell that telnet is - I mean, how
limiting! - into the year 2000 and beyond you'll realize how silly your
hanging on to the past is. I mean, all this worship of telnet and the
command line. You sound like an Amish person swearing off technology! I
can't remember the last time I needed the command line or even felt the urge
to time travel into days of old...

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 9 May 2001 23:16:13 -0500

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9db4js$q6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > What you need to understand is that no one gives a shit about "console"
> > apps
>
> What you don't understand is that not only are yo extremely wrong, you
> are also extremely stupid.

Wow - again your amazingly detailed replies filled with intelligent rebuttle
impress us so much.

And you actually defend your devotion to the command line ??
in public?

does your mother know you've left the basemet?

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 9 May 2001 23:18:10 -0500

"Neil Cerutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson posted:
> >Perhaps this is because you would open NOTEPAD and not run
> >edit.com - DOH!
>
> Actually, Notepad sucks, even compared to edit.com.

I don't agree, what does edit.com (which just fires up the QB IDE in text
editor mode) do that notepad doesn't do so well?

> >WHY on earth would you penalize yourself with some crappy text
> >based interface when a beautiful set of antialiased fonts of any
> >size you can imagine are right there on your desktop?
>
> A computer *is* fundamentally a text-based interface. Sometimes
> you just don't want the extra abstraction layers getting in your
> way. Using a lower level of abstraction can be more efficient.

A car *is* fundamentally a fancy horse and wagon, sometimes it's good to
smell the, um, lower level of abstraction.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 9 May 2001 23:19:04 -0500

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:3af8daf2$0$41631$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > applications
that

> > > Perhaps this is because you would open NOTEPAD and not run edit.com -
DOH!

> > > WHY on earth would you penalize yourself with some crappy text based
> > > interface when a beautiful set of antialiased fonts of any size you
can
> > > imagine are right there on your desktop?
> >
> > Perhaps he's so used to Unix where the GUI is so ugly and worthless
> > that the only way to get something done is from the CLI.
> >
> > As for anti-aliased fonts in *nix? Perhaps in 20 more years =)
> >
> > -c
>
> Already have anti-aliased fonts.  Go buy a copy of Solaris 8 x86 and
> you'll see what I mean.

now THOSE are some butt-ugly fonts ! damn!

------------------------------

From: p@r <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Must be getting really desperate
Date: 9 May 2001 20:15:56 -0700

says...

>Simple.
>
>AIX is expensive.
>RS/6k and SP@ as well as CMOS (Freeway) and AS/400 hardware/software
>is extremely expensive.
>
>Offset the software costs by offering Linux and sell a lot of
>hardware.
>
>THat is what IBM is going to do.....
>
>Flatfish

that is stupid thinking. They can give the OS for free if they want.
Sun now gives out the OS for free.

They are switching for GNU/Linux, becuase they see it as where the market
will be. Applications are beting written for GNU/Linux, so they want
these applications to run on their hardware also.

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 00:22:11 -0400

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dc4ri$1ev$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JS PL" <hi everybody!> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > I thought they relied on some mythical "monopoly" status that has been
> > granted to them by the King of Fantasy Land.
> > You mean to say they have to actually market the products to customers?
> And
> > they use tried and true marketing glitz and catchy monikers to do it?
>
> No, that is T. Max opinion, not GreyCloud.
> GreyCloud is more reasonable.

my mistake

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Double whammy cross-platform worm
Date: 9 May 2001 23:25:07 -0500

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > To the uneducated blindly hating, lets all read along together eh?
> >
> > "CERT said the worm enters a Solaris system by using a 2-year-old buffer
> > overflow vulnerability and then targets IIS-based Web servers via a
security
> > hole that was uncovered seven months ago. Software patches that are
supposed
> > to fix the problems have long been available from both Sun and
Microsoft. "

> > Hmm... so this "new" worm uses a 2 year old Solaris vulnerability
combined
> > with a 7 month old IIS vulnerability both of which have LONG had a
complete
> > fix available for.
<snip>
> Jan, I'm on your side.  If someone is so bloody stupid not to update
> their IIS server for two years, I have absolutely no sympathy for them
> what so ever.  They have been warned for two years! if someone is that
> thick not to apply the patch, they how/why on earth are they being an
> admin?

Thank you.

This is similar to that Homepage virus that was out today. HELLO! Is anyone
still stupid enough to open unknow attachments especially those that are VBX
files? HELLO?! Hasn't everyone updated their outlook to the current version
which prevents you from executing these VBX files from the e-mail with a
double click? HELLO... all current versions of Outlook will completely block
access to a VBX or EXE file, period. Anyone that got hit by that virus today
is a complete moron and Outlook/MS is certainly not to blame.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 9 May 2001 23:28:18 -0500

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > A Solaris worm that defaces IIS Web server pages:
> > >
> > > http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO60354,00.html
> >
> > To the uneducated blindly hating, lets all read along together eh?
> >
> > "CERT said the worm enters a Solaris system by using a 2-year-old buffer
> > overflow vulnerability and then targets IIS-based Web servers via a
security
> > hole that was uncovered seven months ago. Software patches that are
supposed
> > to fix the problems have long been available from both Sun and
Microsoft. "

> > Hmm... so this "new" worm uses a 2 year old Solaris vulnerability
combined
> > with a 7 month old IIS vulnerability both of which have LONG had a
complete
> > fix available for.
> >
> > So, it's not ANY suprise at all that we also read:
> > "Denis Zenkin, a spokesman at Moscow-based antivirus software vendor
> > Kaspersky Lab International Ltd., today said he wasn't aware of any
> > incidents involving the sadmind/IIS worm. The worm could turn out to be
> > "merely another entry in CERT's virus encyclopedia," he added. "
> >
> > And equally it's no surprise that the blindly anti-MS haters simply see
MS
> > mentioned in some shady light and immediate dispatch what little brains
they
> > have left to out mongolia and announce this worm as if it were some sign
of
> > a MS weakness...
>
> Why do you assume that anyone (even me, who cares not for Microsoft
> tactics) announced this as purely MS disrespect?  I myself posted it
> to illustrate that UNIX is not immune to hacking.

I did not make this assumption of you. But given your past posts, the fact
that you included "alt.destroy.microsoft" as one of the groups you
crossposted to which included the utterly unrelated COLA group - these
things together allow me to conclude you have your agenda and are
fullfilling it.

> And equally it's no surprise that the blindly anti-Linux haters simply see
MS
> mentioned in some shady light and immediate dispatch what little brains
they
> have left to out mongolia and announce this posting as if it were some
sign of
> a MS hatred...
>
> > weird...
>
> Rather, I say!
>
> > how this is even news suprises me... I would expect The Register to run
this
> > sort of crap...
>
> You perhaps are unable to deal with facts that contradict your
> Weltanschung, meine Freund?  It is now totally (100%, as opposed to
> the 99.9% feeling I had before) apparent to me that you have
> a deep-seated agenda.

My only agenda is to live my life happily. All else is just getting there...
I have no need to advance MS nor retard Linux; I just like to talk about my
preferences and correct fud and lies when I hear/read them.

Why DID you post this message to alt.destroy.microsoft if you didn't have
your own anti-MS agenda?\

------------------------------

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux disgusts me
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 00:05:14 -0500

Thanks!  ;-)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 00:07:50 -0500

Yeah, that's true.  In many ways, it is like Windows.  But in the computer
industry, true originality only comes in bits and packages.

news:fm2K6.48466$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the closed
source model doesn't work!
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 00:16:54 -0500

Maybe Microsoft realizes that if they released products with perpetual
licenses and subcription based services, that the remaining pro-Microsoft
people would become disillusioned, and would "March to the Pacific Sea"
(Like General William Sherman did during the American Civil War, when he
marched across Georgia and South Carolina, causing unprecedented
destruction, up until World War II.  His army left a swath of total
destruction 300 miles long and 60 miles wide from Atlanta to Savannah in
Georgia.  Then he turned north, and caused wanton destruction in South
Carolina), turning the land that the M$ HQ rested upon in Redmond Washington
into a desert.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
source model doesn't work!
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 00:18:47 -0500

Up until today, my father has been a Microsoft supporter, and anti-Mac.
Today, I told him about the various things M$ has done, and what they plan
to do.  He remarked, "I will use a Mac before I upgrade to WinXP".

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Microsoft PATH.
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 01:07:24 -0500

Me too.  About 4 months ago, I was a Microsoft supporter, and supported
Microsoft during their trial.  However, I began to learn the truth, and
learn about their activities.  At first, I was under the impression that
they wanted M$ only because they were "too successful".  Then I learned the
reason they were "too successful".  When I received some bad news about M$ a
few months ago, I was shocked.  But then, the news just kept piling on, and
I have made a 180 degree turn.  I now view M$ as the Evil Empire.

Microsoft calls Linux "un-American".  Many people with FUD call Linux a
communist OS.  How wrong these people are!

Microsoft seems to think that capitalism and Americanism means feeding your
fat and greedy ass with dollar bills.  However, M$ fails to take into
account that in repressive systems, the person on top is usually rich.
Dictators stay in power by making themselves very rich, and keeping everyone
else in poverty.  History shows that when a middle class gets large enough,
a political revolution happens that overthrows the government.  Such was the
case with the American, French, and Russian Revolutions, as well as many
others.  Recall that the rise of democracy in Europe in the 1800s and 1900s
was synonymous with the rise in a middle class.  This suggests that if the
middle class in China gets large enough, then a revolution will overthrow
their communist government.  I'm going on a tangent here, so let me get back
on the right path.  Microsoft's system is reminiscent of a fascist system.
Microsoft has become the big brother of "1984".

Linux, however, is the system that embraces the true American ideal.  While
the GPL, with the word "public" in the title, will make people think of
socialism or communism, the GPL is not this at all.  In Open Source,
everyone owns the software, and not even in a socialist way.  In the Open
Source world, there is no centralization of rule or ownership.  So even if
it was owned by everyone, it would be more free than the communists
governments of the Soviet Union.  This, however, underscores a major fact
that is ignored.  In the Open Source system, you have total ownership of
your computer.  In the Microsoft regime, however, only Microsoft owns the
software.  They own the software on your computer.  You are only using it
under their license.  You have no right to alter their software.  If there
is something wrong with it, you have to send a bug report to them, and pray
that they fix it.  Under Open Source, you have the power.  If there is
something wrong, then YOU can fix the software.  If you have a gcc compiler,
and you know C and C++, then YOU can fix the problem yourself, or ask
someone else to help you.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the Boom, Boom department
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 01:04:34 -0400

Darren Wyn Rees wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy :

> >>I've got the nads to acknowledge that Linux is not *yet* a gaming OS.
> >>
> >Must be pretty small nads.  Using your logic, you could say the same
> >about Solaris and SGI systems, but you'd be way wrong.  Just because
> >lame game writers can't or won't produce games for an OS, doesn't
> >mean it can't actually do it better.
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Is this comp.os.linux.theoretical.advocacy ?
>
> Can we please stick to the facts at hand : Linux is not a gaming OS.

That's pretty funny, in light of the fact that Unix was originally
written for the purpose of playing Space Travel.

> --
> "S+M is outta the question, have you got a better suggestion
> I'm fed up of waving my right hand" - rat salad www.ratsalad.co.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 01:05:12 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> > Can we please stick to the facts at hand : Linux is not a gaming OS.
>
> Using your own logic: neither is windows.

Actually, Unix was originally written SPECIFICALLY so that Ritchie
could play Space Travel.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.