From: Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 18:25:53 -0500

Mike Timbol wrote:

> In case anyone actually cares, the reason for this (on Windows) is that
> the 256 colors are not a fixed set of colors -- programs are allowed to
> change the color palette to something more suitable to their needs.
>
> In general, there are 16 "fixed" colors, which are supposed to be the
> same in any color palette.  These are the colors that are usually used
> for the icons.
>
> I'm not sure how the Mac works, because there's no guarantee that the
> 256 colors in one icon are going to be the same 256 colors used in the
> other icons.  On the other hand, maybe the 256 colors on the Mac are
> fixed, and can't be changed, which means all the icons *would* use
> the same palette.

Icons can use any 256 colors, and they are displayed using their closest
approximation with the colors available on the current palette.

-Peter

--
The Shame Eliminator: http://shameeliminator.cjb.net

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Hendry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Darwin or Linux (Re: The decline of VA Linux)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:32:24 -0600

John Jensen wrote in message <89ognh$ndq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I'm sure that enough people will like the Mac as a product that Apple
>factories will humm for some time, but I find it hard to get excited about
>that.  I find it much more interesting when the Chinese, the American NSA,
>and Swedish phone companies are choosing the same open soruce OS.

Or it could be that BSD-based OSes aren't as hyped, so you don't
*hear* about who's using them.

------------------------------

From: Michael Gu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: I can't stand this X anymore!
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:39:25 GMT

Well, I think I sort of understand the relationship between X and window
managers. My biggest complain is that the font display on ANY X windows
system just doesn't look right, and it break things. I don't know the details
of how X works, but it appears to me that X does not have any font defined,
that is, X application will not be able to anticipate a certain result on
different X systems.

Consider such a senario, a application like to create a area of a size just
to fit in certain text. And the application does not want a dynamic sized
area, because the area is part of a pixel based layout. Now, if the
application does not know the exact size of the font, how can it achieve such
a goal. I have seen countless applications that either have a botton that
does not have all characters displayed, or the botton is truncated because it
exceeds the frame border and all sorts of bad displays.

Besides, the font on X windows are so bad, it wastes display resource. Why,
because it need more pixels to achieve the same result.

And I don't think any widgets or window manager can do anything to help that!

So, I believe X need to include a basic set of font as part of its standard,
if my speculation of the way it works is correct, otherwise, you will always
see broken bottons, truncated texts, and ... frustrating users.

------------------------------

From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: prepare Income Tax under Linux?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 15:28:54 -0800

Jon Claerbout wrote:

> Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Jon Claerbout wrote:

> :> I tried Intuit,
> :> but they tell me to make pdf work as as a Netscape plug-in.
> :> I did not succeed with that.

> : If all you need to do is view a pdf after clicking the link, netscape works
> : fine.
> : Go to Edit->Preferences->Navigator->applications
> : New...
> : desc: PDF file
> : MIMEType: application/pdf
> : Suffixes: pdf
> : Application: <pathtoacroread> %s
>
> : You should then be able to click a pdf link,
> : and it'll fire off acroread to read it.

> : Note: an example application line would be:
> : /usr/local/bin/acrocread %s

>         The tax software says it needs a plug in,
>         not simply a file download and fire off an acroread job.
>
>         Probable problem is the dynamic linking of netscape and pdf
>         use different libraries.
>
>         Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to rent a Windoze
>         machine for a couple days.

acroread 4 comes with a plugin so you can read PDF's inline
in Netscape. The instructions are in INSTGUID.TXT that
comes with acroread 4. If it doesn't automatically
set up the plugin in NS, the only thing that's different
from Mike's instructions above is that the Application
should be nppdf.so. Read the instructions though - the
plugin is in a weird subdirectory.

You can probably get it off of Adobe's site, or it comes
with SuSE 6.3 (and is automatically installed if you
install acroread and netscape).

Arthur

.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:52:12 GMT

On Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:39:25 GMT, Michael Gu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, I think I sort of understand the relationship between X and window
>managers. My biggest complain is that the font display on ANY X windows
>system just doesn't look right, and it break things. I don't know the details
>of how X works, but it appears to me that X does not have any font defined,
>that is, X application will not be able to anticipate a certain result on
>different X systems.

X looks like crap no matter what you do to it. Installing pirated True-type
fonts from Windows helps, but it still lacks the smoothness that Windows
has and even more so that Mac has.

When I have to look at a screen all day, especially a 19inch state of the
art monitor/video card combination it better look good. X hurts my eyes and
while the themes are nice the meat and potatoes (the applications) look
horrible in my opinion.

>Consider such a senario, a application like to create a area of a size just
>to fit in certain text. And the application does not want a dynamic sized
>area, because the area is part of a pixel based layout. Now, if the
>application does not know the exact size of the font, how can it achieve such
>a goal. I have seen countless applications that either have a botton that
>does not have all characters displayed, or the botton is truncated because it
>exceeds the frame border and all sorts of bad displays.

Take a look at the wonderful help system in Corel. It is a state of the art
help system that blows Windows away in that it actually offers help that
helps. Unfortunately, it looks like shit and there is no way of re-sizing
the left side of the screen.

Wordperfect also looks like shit under Corel, boxy crappy looking fonts and
this was pointed out in the otherwise favorable reviews of Corel Linux.

>Besides, the font on X windows are so bad, it wastes display resource. Why,
>because it need more pixels to achieve the same result.

It also seem sluggish to me, even running a Matrox G400. Dragging Windows
around produces "shadows" and remanent's of destroyed Windows. Sucks if you
ask me. It lacks crispness. I am talking about
kde/Windowmaker/Enlightenment and worst of all Gnome/Enlightenment.

>And I don't think any widgets or window manager can do anything to help that!
>
>So, I believe X need to include a basic set of font as part of its standard,
>if my speculation of the way it works is correct, otherwise, you will always
>see broken bottons, truncated texts, and ... frustrating users.
See the above. Putting Linux side by side with other OS's is a real joke as
far as display is concerned. Sure the themes look nice but what happens
when you launch the applications?
Boxy, fuzzy and generally cheap looking.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 09:53:20 +1000

"Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Todd wrote:
> > By the way, there is an option for this in Properties-FX.
> >
> > Also, most people are using True Color or 16-bit color these days as
video
> > cards can support these modes easily with full acceleration.
> >
> > So, NT can display more than 16 colors in icons.
> >
> > > As for speed. Basically there is very little. NT is slower the 95.
> >
> > Not according to the benchmarks that measure graphics and business
> > performance.
> >
> > Just recently, benchmarks that measured 98/NT and 2000 came out, do you
want
> > to know what scored highest?  2000.
> >
> 2000 is hardly a fast system though. My Linux system boots in less time
> thanks to the modifications I made to my kernel build.

There's not many kernel modifications you can make the would signficantly
reduce boot time.  Unless you originally had some funcky driver with a very
long timeout.

[chomp]

> > Again, how much memory are you using?  Did you check the performance
monitor
> > in NT?  Is your system even configured correctly?  I doubt it, given
your
> > "expert's" false information.
> NT shouldn't need 64mb of ram to run "properly". No OS can justify such
> needs. Linux and BeOS can run in 16mb of ram and comfortably in 32mb.

Linux+KDe or GNOME needs 64MB to run comfortably.

[chomp]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:55:40 GMT

I've run both TurboTax and Tax-Cut under Windows with no problems and I
don't have Netscape on my machine. Why does he have to jump through all
kinds of hoops to run a program?

I slapped the CD in and away it went.

Typical Linux. It takes 10 operations to do what is sooooooo very simple
under Windows.

Running programs for instance.

What a shame...

------------------------------

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 4 Mar 2000 00:03:53 GMT

Jonathan Hendry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: John Jensen wrote in message <89ognh$ndq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
: >I'm sure that enough people will like the Mac as a product that Apple
: >factories will humm for some time, but I find it hard to get excited about
: >that.  I find it much more interesting when the Chinese, the American NSA,
: >and Swedish phone companies are choosing the same open soruce OS.

: Or it could be that BSD-based OSes aren't as hyped, so you don't
: *hear* about who's using them.

Is sharing at the character-based OS level sufficient for excitement?

Besides, I think BSD OSes running X11 have more in common with Linux than
they do MacOS X.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 4 Mar 2000 00:19:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Gu  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Consider such a senario, a application like to create a area of a size just
>to fit in certain text. And the application does not want a dynamic sized
>area, because the area is part of a pixel based layout. Now, if the
>application does not know the exact size of the font, how can it achieve such
>a goal. I have seen countless applications that either have a botton that
>does not have all characters displayed, or the botton is truncated because it
>exceeds the frame border and all sorts of bad displays.

X applications are free to specify their fonts (family, size, etc.)
if they don't want to use the default font.  GUI toolkits usually include
resource mechanism for specifying different fonts for different parts of
the GUI.
--
Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Subject: Re: Linux is it's own worst enemy.
Date: 4 Mar 2000 00:27:59 GMT

This is just Steve/keymaster the homophobic fundamentalist
again, in another of his 1000 disguises.  One of his two
also confirm it.

Steve (or whatever your name is), doesn't "Thou shalt not
bear false witness" apply to you?

Why don't you buy a couple of gay porno magazines and have
a nice time with yourself.  You know you want to.  It's
natural, and fantasies are completely safe.

You need to start merging all your different personalities
together, and the first step is to admit that they exist,
and let them get to know each other.  You have to stop
spending all your time fighting with other people -- post-
ing this crap under so many different names to get attention.
Even if you're getting paid to do it, you'd better quit,
because it isn't good for you.  Your propaganda has no
effect anyhow, now that your cover is blown and we know
it's coming from one person.

If you feel like talking, e-mail me your phone number, and
I'll give you a call.  I don't have any negative feelings
toward you.  I'd really like to help.

  Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (5X3)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: 64-Bit Linux On Intel Itanium (was: Microsoft's New Motto
Date: 4 Mar 2000 00:41:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Eric Remy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <89nr09$aqi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (5X3)
> wrote:

>>> Ah, amazing! A driver takes down an OS. And remind me
>>> which (non-mainframe) OS won't go down by installing
>>> a buggy driver?

>>Ahh..so now its non-mainframe.
>>
>>Inferno (Purgatory) springs immediately to mind.

> I'm confused here.  Let's take a pathological case.  I write a disk
> device driver for Inferno, or any other OS.  I put in a major bug: every
> time a command is received from the OS, there's a 1/10 chance that the
> driver will tell the disk to do a low-level format of the entire drive.

> How does any OS survive this?  I can't think it would be too happy to
> find its swapped bits are all now zeros.

Purgatory (sort of a client for inferno, think of it as a cross between
an Xterminal and NeXTStep) can be utterly diskless.  Once its booted,
a drive failing on its host machine will have no effect...

Inferno may fail (depending on the setup of the hardware its running on)
if it loses a drive, but theres an enormous difference between a buggy
device driver making the kernel panic and a buggy device driver
legitimately and independantly bringing down a piece of hardware...

p0ok

alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moun Chau)
Subject: Annual Linux Showcase - Call for Papers
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 00:29:34 GMT

4th Annual Linux Showcase and Conference, Atlanta
October 10 - 14, 2000
Cobb Galleria
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
http://www.linuxshowcase.org

Sponsored by USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association, and the
Atlanta Linux Showcase, in cooperation with Linux International

LINUX ENTHUSIASTS AND PROFESSIONALS: The highlight of this year's Linux
community calendar is undoubtably the Annual Linux Showcase and
Conference.  Now in its fourth year, ALS is specifically designed for
the Linux enthusiast, with an emphasis on high-caliber technical
knowledge. This conference is developed by a volunteer community of
computing professionals and by USENIX, a not-for-profit technical
association respected for its tradition of in-depth technical
conferences.

ALS 2000 promises to be the biggest event in ALS history, expanding its
technical program to include more tutorials, refereed papers, invited
talks, Birds-of-a-Feather sessions, hothouses, and opportunities for
informal discussions with Linux experts, professionals, and vendors. The
conference includes a three-day vendor exhibition in which more than 80
companies will showcase their latest products and services.

We are currently seeking submissions for Technical White Papers,
Works-In-Progress Reports, Talks/Panel Session proposals, and Tutorial
presentation proposals for this event. Suggested topics include
discussions on the development of Linux and Open Source platforms,
applications and tools as well as the implementation, maintenance and
growth of Linux systems in small and large environments. Detailed topic
suggestions and submission guidelines can be found on our website:
http://www.linuxshowcase.org.

IMPORTANT DATES

Submissions due:
        Extreme Linux Workshop: April 17, 2000
        Hack Linux/Use Linux Tracks: May 1, 2000
Notification to authors:
        Extreme Linux Workshop: June 16, 2000
        Hack Linux/Use Linux Tracks: June 30, 2000
Registration material available: July 2000
Editorial revisions due (Extreme Linux Workshop): July 23, 2000
Final papers due (for all tracks/workshops): August 24, 2000

From: "Chris Hubick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blatant Plug: Sexiest Geek Alive - Go Linux - Go Me!
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:00:44 GMT

I thought this was a Linux advocacy group???

Contestant 5???  I mean, sure, she's cute, but come on!

To quote her bio:

>I know anything there is to know about Windows 9x.

> Favorite OS:  Windows 95B, Dos is fun in it's own way  :o)

> Certifications:  MCP, working towards my MCSE

>We need to be accepted and not looked at strangely
> because our homes are filled with PC Magazine issues,
> computer hardware, and Microsoft Certified Press books.

Is that the geek you want to represent you???

I don't thinks so!
Pick me! http://www.sexiestgeekalive.com/bios.html?12

---
Chris Hubick
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.hubick.com/

news:WoGv4.2009$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Boris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Plague of "Chads" (was: Clarification of the word "communism"
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:08:20 GMT

> I called him a liar several times -- and proved it.
You are a liar yourself. If paranoid idiot can be called a liar.

Boris

------------------------------

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:08:45 GMT

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Todd wrote:
> > > By the way, there is an option for this in Properties-FX.
> > >
> > > Also, most people are using True Color or 16-bit color these days as
> video
> > > cards can support these modes easily with full acceleration.
> > >
> > > So, NT can display more than 16 colors in icons.

> > > Not according to the benchmarks that measure graphics and business
> > > performance.
> > >
> > > Just recently, benchmarks that measured 98/NT and 2000 came out, do you
> want
> > > to know what scored highest?  2000.
> > >
> > 2000 is hardly a fast system though. My Linux system boots in less time
> > thanks to the modifications I made to my kernel build.
>
> There's not many kernel modifications you can make the would signficantly
> reduce boot time.  Unless you originally had some funcky driver with a very
> long timeout.
You can start by reducing the module count from the default around
450-500 to around 60-70 which is what I did, set it to compile with
optimizations for your processor (not much of a big deal here though)
and nixing any hardware/software support that you don't need. I took out
things like scsi and ethernet support since I don't use either of them.
My system now boots about 5-10 seconds faster just because of that.
However I also took some things out of the startup as well.

--
You say it's cool to be yourself,
but you want me to be like you