From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:38:36 -0500

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Not even....plus it STILL has all of that baggage from DOS.
>
> 'Ya talking about Win9X/ME?
>
> NT/2k has no DOS "baggage"...and that is the OS that Linux should be
> compared with...

According to many of the winbags, in this group, Windows 9x and ME are "real"
operating systems that don't "need" DOS, thus it is fair to compare them to
Linux. Hell even Andrew Shillman (Intentional misspelling) says so.

lol

--
The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time.
The terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:48:43 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Amphetamine Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Windows
> >
> > Absolutely wrong.  Crimosoft has been engaging in monopolization since
> > the early 80's.  Did I get u wrong or did you just admit that MS is a
> > monopoly, Erik?
>
> I said when talking about it it, people usually refer to post consent-decree
> activity.
>
> Since the early 80's?  You're trying to say a company with 75 employees was
> a monopoly?

They had a monopoly on IBM compatible operating systems and worked to maintain
that against Digital Research's CP/M 86. CP/M 86 was better, where DOS was a
port of CP/M 80 to the 8088, CP/M 86 was redesigned for the 8088/8086.

The difference is that personal computers were not the mainstay that they are
today. How many personal computers were there in 1982? Not counting mine, of
course. Also CP/M and Z-80/8080 systems were still around and, while huge,
IBM's PC was an upstart in an existing market.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: why open source software is better
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:41:05 +0000

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:09:02 GMT, Gary Reichlinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:21:41 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil
>hunt) wrote:
>

>>Consider:
>>

>>1. proprietary software must capture a market and get revenue from it; the
>>more revenue it gets, the more successful it will be, from a proprietary
>>software company's point of view
>>
>>2. it can make more profits if it has no competition, because if there
>>is competition, the per-item sales price can reduce to near zero
>>
>>3. one effective way of preventing competition is to stop competitors
>>from making competing software, by commodifying protocols, e.g. by
>>obfuscating or patent-encumbering them
>>
>>4. therefore, commercially successful proprietary software will always
>>tend to harm users' interests in ways that open source won't
>
>       Something that is free always seems better than something you
>have to pay for.

That's true, but beside the point. The good thing about open source
software isn't reduced purchase cost, it's that *you* are in control
and not some greedy rapacious corporation who sees you only as something
to extract money out of, by fair means or foul.

>  What do you do when the provider goes broke

Irrelevant

>or
>decides he is tired of working for nothing and leaves the industry?

If the maintainer of a valuable open source program stops maintaining
it, someone else will pick up the task.

--
*****[ Phil Hunt ***** [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]*****
"Mommy, make the nasty penguin go away." -- Jim Allchin, MS head

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:13:29 -0500

Mike wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> faster
> switch

> > > And Bipolar. You have junction capacitance in the CMOS transistor and
> > > charge stored in the base to drive it in to saturation in the bipolar
> > > case.
> >
> > No.  Bipolar consumes significant amounts of current even when not
> switching.
>
> So far, so good, as long as we're talking about ECL...
>
> > The fastest technology which uses Bipolar transistors is ECL
> > (Emitter Coupled Logic).  By STEERING a constant current between
> > a PNP or an NPN transistor, stray inductance effects are minimized,
> > which maximizes speed.
>
> Ugh. No. Not even close.
>
> There are various reasons that ECL is fast, none of which is that stray
> inductance effects are minimized. PNP transistors are never used in ECL. The
> mobility of holes in PNP transistors is significantly slower than in NPN
> devices, and in most processes, the available PNP transistors are large and
> slow.

Whoops...my mistake (it's been 10 years....)

> Make no mistake: ECL is fast. In bipolar/BiCMOS/SiGe technology, it's the
> fastest stuff there is. The four primary contributors to its speed are the
> use of only NPN transistors, reduced voltage swing (typically 250mV in the
> internal gates), high quiescent current, and the transistors are never
> saturated. The quiescent current is high so that it can charge the wire
> capacitance and the base capacitance of the loads.
>
> Not only is inductance not minimized, but capacitance isn't either. Wire
> capacitance isn't decreased by anything that you do in ECL, and base
> capacitance is increased as the quiescent current is increased. This leads
> to a point of diminishing returns, and a classic power-speed trade-off.
>
> > When I was at Purdue, we beta-tested a Powernode 9000 by Gould.
> > At the time, this was the fastest technology available.
> >
> > "Switching costs" are almost zero.  The downside is that EVERY
> > gate is "on"...either the 'true' output or the 'negated' output
> > is on for every gate.
> >
> > (example, there are not NAND gates vs AND gates...all gates
> > are AND/NAND, OR/NOR, or XOR/XNOR (or conversely XAND/XNAND).
>
> Not necessarily. I've designed ECL in which AND was not NAND, etc. The
> current sources that drive the gate are on regardless of the output level.
>
> In addition:
>
> The problem at high speeds is not that an ECL gate takes more power than a
> CMOS gate. In fact, the opposite may well be the case, when comparing
> advanced CMOS and bipolar processes at high frequencies. The difference is
> that a CMOS flip-flop is much smaller than a bipolar flip-flop, by a
> significant margin. The last time I compared was quite a while ago, but I
> seem to recall that the difference was around 4X in area, or 2X per side.

Sounds about right.

> The impact of this is that the same chip built with ECL gates will have, on
> average, around 2X the interconnect length between each gate that the CMOS
> chip has. So, even though the CMOS gate may take more power by itself, the
> bipolar chip has to drive twice the wire length. If differential ECL logic
> is being used, the number of signal lines is 2X, adding to the area of the
> chip used for routing, and increasing the total area, and the wire length
> along with it. The result is that the bipolar chip will be significantly
> larger, and will need more current, even after the advantage due to smaller
> voltage swing is considered.
>
> -- Mike --

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:21:07 -0500

nuxx wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > nuxx wrote:
> <snip>
> > > >
> > > It's probably best you leave it to people that know what they are doing.
> >
> > So, what you're saying is that, in fact, Windows *IS* difficult
> > to administrate.
> >
> A well designed NT setup is a piece of cake to administer.  The problem is
> that it's way to easy for any hack to install and set up a botched together

It's best not to contradict yourself in adjacent sentances.

Hope that helps....MORON!

> network with NT "cos it looks just like Windows".  As many have found, it
> will come back and bite you if you don't have a decent understanding of it's
> architecture and more importantly TCP/IP.  Is there any OS that doesn't?
>
> > So much for "Windows is so intuitive, anybody can set it up and run it"
> >
> Who believes everything MS says anyway?
>
> nuxx.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:15:43 -0500

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Allin Cottrell wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron Kulkis quoted Richard Heathfield:

> > > Richard, you have to understand that Mr Kulkis is a Free American
> > > Citizen, and as such has a God-given Right to do whatever the
> > > hell he likes (e.g. appending 1708 bytes of yahoo rant to all
> > > his Usenet postings), however annoying and inconvenient it may
> > > be for the rest of us.
> >
> > And not only that, but I serve in the military to defend
> > that right.
>
> Words almost fail me. You seem to be proud of your right to be ignorant,
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes...I take my Constitutional rights VERY seriously.

> stupid, boorish, insensitive, rude, annoying, and the bearer of
> inconvenience and financial burden to anyone who chances to read the
> same newsgroup as you. Not only that, but you seem to be /so/ proud of
> your ignorance, stupidity, etc etc that you are prepared to fight to
> defend that right.
>
> Well, I can't stop you being an idiot, I guess. So let's turn this back
> into a topical thread. Here's a little filter suitable for use in
> operating systems which allow easy connection of stdouts to stdins, and
> should therefore be just about acceptable in both newsgroups to which
> this nonsense is crossposted:
>
> /* This program is dedicated to all incompetents,
>  * idiots, lamers, morons, and complete bozos,
>  * all over the world, but *especially* those
>  * who live in the Land Of The Free To Be As Dumb
>  * As They Damn Well Please.
>  *
>  * I have no immediate plans to document what this
>  * program does.
>  */
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <string.h>
>
> int main(void)
> {
>   char buffer[128];
>   int Sig = 0;
>   int InSig = 0;
>
>   while(fgets(buffer, sizeof buffer, stdin) && Sig < 4)
>   {
>     if(strcmp("-- \n", buffer) == 0)
>     {
>       InSig = 1;
>     }
>     else
>     {
>       if(InSig)
>       {
>         if(strchr(buffer, '\n') != NULL)
>         {
>           ++Sig;
>         }
>       }
>     }
>     printf("%s", buffer);
>   }
>
>   printf("\n");
>   fflush(stdout);
>
>   return 0;
> }

That trick never works.

> --
> Richard Heathfield
> "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
> C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:19:56 -0500

Mike wrote:

> "Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:22:43 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > The fastest technology which uses Bipolar transistors is ECL
> > > (Emitter Coupled Logic).  By STEERING a constant current between
> > > a PNP or an NPN transistor, stray inductance effects are minimized,
> > > which maximizes speed.
> > > "Switching costs" are almost zero.  The downside is that EVERY
> > > gate is "on"...either the 'true' output or the 'negated' output
> > > is on for every gate.
> >
> > And ECL consumes VAST quantities of power, as well as requiring a -5v
> power
> > rail. This made interfacing to standard TTL logic tricky.
>
> While that's strictly true (the -5V rail part) for standard ECL, the ECL
> that would be in a large ASIC or uP today would most likely run from a
> positive supply. Internally, it would have lower voltage swings than
> standard ECL, and the external outputs would most likely be called PECL (for
> Pseudo-ECL), and would be referenced to the positive supply rather than
> ground. The outputs would probably have the same voltage swing as ECL, but
> they would be centered around different DC levels. It's still tricky to
> interface to standard TTL - especially from single-ended ECL outputs.

The Gould we had was +/- 2.5 V.

But of course, voltage, like height, is relative.

Ground is whatever you define it to be.

Thus...you can use a standard power supply, and using a voltage divider,
designate "virtual, logical ground" to be 2.5V above the whatever is
the "O Volts" wire on the power supply.

Just change the ground accordingly.

> -- Mike --

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: 26 Feb 2001 07:32:04 -0600

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
>
> > given that hotmail isn't a decade old we find our very first problem
with
> > this lie.
> > given that the hotmail appliation itself runs on solaris identifies
another
> > problem
> > given the fact that there isn't a single BSD box serving web content for
> > hotmail - that they've all been replaced by window 2000 boxes puts the
nail
> > in the coffin.
>
> I understand they are phasing in the pee cees gradually
> this time, having learned from their initial disastrous
> attempt to run hotmail on windows nt a few years ago.

I hardly consider 8 way server units "pee cees". They NEVER tried to convert
to NT.

> AFAIK they are replacing the bsd Unix servers with a
> greater number of more powerful boxes, which they have
> converted to win 2k.

yes, they replaced the older hardware with newer hardware. This is in some
way weird?

> They will have to throw a lot more hardware at the problem
> and watch windows constantly, but it is a marketing victory
> that they have been frantically pursuing for years.

That's your spin on it - I see it as a normal upgrade path

> Of course, it is not recommended for any normal company to
> move from Unix to windows, only those with a peculiar agenda
> e.g microsoft, who can now say "hey, we got hotmail  running
> on windows pcs", regardless of whether it's a good idea.

Perhaps not by you but given that our company does this all the time for
others, usually for a combination of reasons like price, performance,
software availability and administration costs/ease - I find your FUD quite
lame and uninspired.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 26 Feb 2001 07:32:05 -0600

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, J Sloan wrote:
> >Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> >> given that hotmail isn't a decade old we find our very first problem
with
> >> this lie.
> >> given that the hotmail appliation itself runs on solaris identifies
another
> >> problem
> >> given the fact that there isn't a single BSD box serving web content
for
> >> hotmail - that they've all been replaced by window 2000 boxes puts the
nail
> >> in the coffin.
> >
> >I understand they are phasing in the pee cees gradually
> >this time, having learned from their initial disastrous
> >attempt to run hotmail on windows nt a few years ago.
> >
> >AFAIK they are replacing the bsd Unix servers with a
> >greater number of more powerful boxes, which they have
> >converted to win 2k.
> >
> >They will have to throw a lot more hardware at the problem
> >and watch windows constantly, but it is a marketing victory
> >that they have been frantically pursuing for years.
> >
> >Of course, it is not recommended for any normal company to
> >move from Unix to windows, only those with a peculiar agenda
> >e.g microsoft, who can now say "hey, we got hotmail  running
> >on windows pcs", regardless of whether it's a good idea.
> >
> >jjs
> >

> The SAD part about this story is this is mainly just an
> E-mail service.
>
> If you attempted to do B2B on a massive scale with *ANY*
> windows product, it would be a disaster for your company
> and a disaster for your career.
>
> E-mail is nothing compared to B2B.
>
> *NOTHING*

True - except you miss the fact that most B2B occurs on a Windows
platform...

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:32:20 -0500

Peter Pichler wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Allin Cottrell wrote:
> >> Aaron Kulkis quoted Richard Heathfield:

> >> Richard, you have to understand that Mr Kulkis is a Free American
> >> Citizen,
>
> Abreviation: FAC. Pronounce at your will.
>
> >> and as such has a God-given Right to do whatever the
> >> hell he likes (e.g. appending 1708 bytes of yahoo rant to all
> >> his Usenet postings), however annoying and inconvenient it may
> >> be for the rest of us.
> >
> >And not only that, but I serve in the military to defend
> >that right.
>
> You must be /realy/ proud.

Are you trying to imply that defending your country is somehow
an ignoble thing to do?

> --
> Peter Pichler (Increment my "From:" address if your email bounces.)

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.