From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Richard Russell)
Subject: Re: Disproving the lies.
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:11:43 GMT

On 17 Mar 2000 , Darren Winsper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 06:57:39 GMT, Terry Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> How do I configure slrn to print my real e-mail address?
>
>In ~/.slrnrc:
>
>hostname "<What comes after the @"
>set username                    "what comes before the @"

set REPLYTO="xxxx@yyyy" in ~/.bash_profile perhaps?

George Russell
--
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
                                 Lord of the Rings,     J.R.R.Tolkien

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:18:34 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My Windows 2000 experience

[EMAIL PROTECTED], net wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:13:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:59:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED],net
><[EMAIL PROTECTED],net> wrote:

> >>Or people who would rather be running the latest video drivers for
> >>their cards under Windows, instead of down loading anywhere from 12 to
> >>25 files just to get Xfree 4.0.
> >
> >       How is downloading 20 files more difficult than downloading 1?
>
> Time....Especially on a dialup.

The size of the files affects the download time, not the number of files.   It's
really quite easy:

 gftp ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.0/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc21/

Select the files you want or just select all files.  Click on the  '<-' and go have a
cup of
coffee.  Of course, you could just wait for the rpm files.  I'm sure someone will be
creating them
quite soon.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hot news: Corel Linux and Intel, Linux the next desktop OS!!
Date: 17 Mar 2000 00:13:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:>
:> Of course Windows 2000 was conspicuously absent...

: Because Windows2000 is not targeted at the consumer. Wal-Mart is targeted
: at the most uninformed and ready-to-spend-lots-of-money-without-knowing-
: anything consumer (suprisingly, they're selling Linux!).

: Go to CompUSA, CircuitCity or BestBuy (where the more informed consumer
: shops) and you'll see Win2K there with a big display, and the RH box
: is sitting next to Caldera and FreeBSD way back on the third aisle with
: all the other "X for Dummies" or "Home Recipe Maker!" type software.

Liar.  I was just there (BestBuy and CompUSA).  The various Linuxen
were in the first aisle, one section over from the Windows OS boxes.
They were placed next to the programming tools.

Product placement in stores like this is not universally the same for
every store.  You can't generalize from your local BestBuy or CompUSA
what the rest of the chain does in other cities.

Oh, and the home recipie maker software was in the next aisle back,
and the "for dummies" books were down at the other end of the aisle.
(This was at BestBuy, where I spent a little more time because I was
also looking for non-computer stuff (portable radio).)

(Not like product placement means anything anyway.  That same BestBuy
also put the whole aisle of pink barbie-type games up front and the
arcade style games hidden away in back - but I doubt that this means
they sold more pink barbie software.)

--
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------
 Steven L. Mading  at  BioMagResBank   (BMRB). UW-Madison

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Mar 2000 00:16:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:50:44 GMT, Multi_OS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: wrote:
: <snip>
:>You can't expect too much from desperate windoze lusers they'll likely
:>grab at the first straw. They can upgrade their software over the net
:>for _free_ whenever they wish.  Hopefully next time they buy a *NIX box
:>they'll know enough to buy some better hardware too.

: Hopefully we can expect you, when posting your Windows bashing
: using a Windows machine, to learn how to send a single reply instead
: of multiples. Heck, even most of us "windoze lusers" can figure out
: how to do that...

Learn how usenet works.  While it is possible that the triple-post
was his doing, it isn't guaranteed.  Sometimes I've seen buggy news
servers screw up and post things double.

--
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A pox on the penguin? (Linux Virus Epidemic)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:23:56 -0500

So, Tim Kelley states that NO ONE has/uses root access in Linux - because
that is a security risk. So, no one needs or get root. But they use SU all
the time....

laughs last that laughs best...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:26:38 GMT

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:46:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED],net
<[EMAIL PROTECTED],net> wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:32:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>

>>      The time factor is no different than for any other
>>      large package in this Windows dominated era of bloat.
>
>People don't typically have to download drivers for hardware when they
>use Windows. They come in with the hardware. Updates are generally

        Assuming they're lucky.

        If you're lucky you won't have to download them for Linux either,
        or Solaris, or NeXTstep. Otherwise, you might have to download
        quite a bit of stuff.

>very small in size. The latest Logitech drivers are 3 meg and that
>includes everything. The driver itself is much smaller.
>
>>      Just set it up and go to sleep like people have done
>>      since the days of 300 baud modems and BBS's. This isn't
>>      exactly a new problem. It's not like we're talking Xmodem
>>      here.
>
>You have never been to Europe have you?

        What you are implying would not be sufficiently realized if
        one had only 'been' to Europe. Besides, Europe was made up
        of (relatively) sovereign states last I heard...

>>>Assuming you have all of the correct libraries and other programs
>>>installed that will allow it to compile.
>>
>>      Quit talking out your ass.
>
>The questions should be hitting the setup groups any minute now.

        Nope. You're still talking out your ass. The Xfree 4 source
        comes with everything except glide. The last beta release
        that's sitting at 3dfx.com now in rpms is complete even
        including glide.

        People are having problems with the DRI modules however.

        But that's something other than what you were cluelessly
        rambling on about. That and those complaints hit the
        newsgroups minutes after the announcement on slashdot.

        So, your timing is off as well.

>>      X is a pretty fundemental bit of code. It's not like gqmpeg
>>      that might require all the fiddly little bits of gnome plus
>>      mpg123 as well.
>
>See above.

        The 2D part of Xfree doesn't have much in the way of
        library dependencies. You're just a rambling idiot if
        you claim so. OTOH, quite a few other libraries are
        quite dependent on the X libs.

        But, you are too ignorant to come up with this potential
        problem issue on your own.

>>[deletia]

>>>No it's a need brought about by the thousands of comments in the Linux
>>>groups from people who use other operating systems that are so much
>>>more pleasing to the eyes as to why the fonts look so crappy.
>>
>>      IOW they're conditioned to the way Windows looks in particular.
>
>Possibly. But Windows is so much easier on the eyes.
>

>>>It's about time too.
>>
>>      For those of us for whom Windows was our 4th or 5th GUI,
>>      it's not quite as obvious...
>
>So your used to looking at crappy looking fonts.

        Not at all. You just can't manage to express this issue
        in anything except purely subjective terms.

--

        So long as Apple users Quicktime to effectively          |||
        make web based videoa 'Windows only' Club for x86,      / | \

                                Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ??
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:30:54 -0500

cause Linux is broken more than NT perhaps...

"Robert MacGregor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9tPz4.633$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
> > > With NT?  ha!
> >
> >    What has NT to be with you ? Have you ever thought that there's NT
> > information on the net too ? I use both OS's and like/dislike things
from
> > two. Do not need to have the best OS for every thing in every world for
> > every person ... use all of it and enjoy.
> >
> >                                                                Net
Walker

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Virus Info Enclosed
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:36:17 -0500

Here you go:

http://www.big.net.au/~silvio/

Feel free to spread this everywhere - especially the Linux viruses there -
cause the linvocates (never wrong) have assured us that it's impossible to
have a linux virus so I'm sure they won't mind running these binaries.

Enjoy!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:38:50 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Drestin Black wrote:

> So, Tim Kelley states that NO ONE has/uses root access in Linux - because
> that is a security risk. So, no one needs or get root. But they use SU all
> the time....
>
> laughs last that laughs best...

I thought you finally understood su but I guess you are just too dense.
Where I  work. no end users have root access to AIX on their RS/6000 boxes.
We do have access to maint,  which has authority for such things as defining
printers and mounting disks.    How do I define a new printer queue?   Guess
what - I use su - maint.     So yes I do use su,  but never to root.

Gary

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:28:13 GMT

In article <fE5A4.6$iB5.220@client>,
"Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8apmtu$qpt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <Q%Nx4.4$py.58@client>,
> > "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
> > > news:8a6phv$dpt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > I don't know percentages, but I do
> > > know that one of the largest implementers
> > > of 911 systems is Intergraph Public Safety
> > > and they only sell NT based systems.
> >
> > One of the largest implementors? Do you mean to tell me that
> > Intergraph Public Safety sells over 50% of the LIFE 911 market
> > (integration of switch, ANI information, search engine, and dispatch
> > systems). How many communities does it serve? How many million
> > in the catchment (service) area?
>
> I no longer work for Intergraph, so I
> don't have all the figures anymore, I
> do know they are major player in the 911
> business and that the systems are NT based.
I went to their site and tried a few different searches.
The closest thing I could come up with was their GIS services
which are used to provide maps for various government agencies.
Is it possible that the when the 911 system brings up the locality
information (zip code) that GIS provides a map to help dispatchers
locate the correct house?
http://www.intergraph.com/isc/p_911.htm
Describes an activity like this.
This is very different from creating databases of every name, address,
telephone number, zip code, geographic coordinates, and appropriate
EMS, Fire, and Police department to dispatch and providing real-time
access to all of the operators in a city like New York, Philedelphia,
Denver, Chicago, or Los Angeles, getting the correct incoming caller
identified and then getting both the call and the caller information
to the same 911 operator, then routing the correct message or alarm
to the appropriate agencies based on the operator selection. Usually
in less than 30 seconds.
You'd think that if Integraph (www.intergraph.com) was such a leader
in this industry, that they would be touting it as a measure of their
success.
They do list the following Clients:
Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
Mobile County, AL
City of Troy, MI
San Diego County, CA
Johnson Space Center, TX
Lincoln, Jerome, Gooding, and Twin Falls County, ID
New Hanover County, NC
> > When you get into complex back-end business integration,
> > clustering isn't as trivial. You can do clustering with
> > DCOM, CORBA, RPC, or MQ, and you can add Tuxedo, CICS, CORBA
> > Transaction Services, or MQ Transaction services to integrate
> > with XA compliant databases and servers to provide transactional
> > integrity.
>
> And your point is?
The methods Microsoft touts (DCOM, MTS, and MSMQ) are microsoft-only
solutions. You can only use them on NT or Win2K. This means that
when you are getting into large-scale solutions, you are still stuck
to Microsoft platforms.
Third party vendors attempt to offer industry standard products that
support open and published standards, and Microsoft thanks them by
trying to shut them out with bundlware that not only performs inferior
services, but also does in an insecure and unverifiable way. If
someone wants to shove an explore-zip style ActiveX control in with
a pretty graph, you won't have any way of tracing the activity back
to the origin because you don't know which message had the component
from hell.
> > At a lower level, you can use PVM and MPI to create distributed
> > calls that can anonymously be routed to other procesessors while
> > still supporting the context of the calling process/processor.
>
> Irrelevant to websites.
Actually, many e-business and e-commerce sites that do a great deal
of sophisticated customer relations management do rely on
data-warehousing techniques and very large engines such as SP/2 and
E-10k machines. Both make very effective use of these technologies.
> Are you saying that an Oracle licence
> LINUX for use on a largescale website
> is $120, I somehow doubt that figure.
Progres comes with unlimited users. SQL database, 2 phase commit,
and ODBC compatible. When you need to switch to Sybase or DB2,
you can get site licenses at reasonable prices.
> NT boxes can also do their own DNS, so the same rather crude DNS load
> balancing is possible.
> However CISCO local director and similar solutions
> are much more popular at web sites because they
> give finer granularity.
And CISCO runs BSD UNIX as it's core operating system.
> > Microsoft has tried to lock Linux out of USB, DVD, PCI-PnP, and
> > several of it's other key technologies. Eventually, the proprietary
> > content was either disclosed or hacked.
Microsoft required each member of each organization to sign
comprehensive nondiscosure agreements before participating in their
standards bodies.
Normally, if you are trying to establish industry standards, you
want the standards open and published.
Microsoft eventually saw that it was loosing the market to CORBA
and offered to publish a brain-dead specification of DCOM that allowed
CORBA implementors to map DCOM IDL to CORBA IDL. You still can't
implement DCOM Clients with that specification.
> What evidence do you have the Microsoft
> was repsonsible for any of these, If
> I recall correctly, the DVD issue was
> caused by the AAMP, something that MS
> is not even a member of.
Microsoft was a key member of DVD-CSS, and was the sole
provider of software to decode DVD-CSS. Interesting that
you can download the decoder software from Microsoft,
but you can't even show the link to Norway.
> PCI-PnP requires a licence, and that is controlled
> by the PCI folks whoa re primarily run by the chipset
> and hardware vendors, same goes for USB.
Both of which were implemented and pushed by Microsoft, often
at the cost of open and published standards like Fire-Wire.
> What you mean is that the LINUX folks didn't want to pay
> to join these clubs
Actually, Bob Young stated at the Raleigh Linux Expo that he
would be happy to join the clubs and publish binaries where
necessary. There are several drivers that are published in
binary formats that are not GPL. When possible, these are
included as RPMs on the main distribution, when royalties
must be paid, these binaries are placed on the secondary
service.
Red Hat DID pay and did receive key PCI-PNP information from
Adaptec who was a member of the PCI standard. Microsoft had
promised to give SCSI a much bigger role in future computers
and renigged when it was discovered that Linux ran faster on
SCSI than NT did.
> and in your deluded mind that equates
> to some vast Illuminati conspiracy from
> the evil Microsoft empire.
The last time someone made a comment like that was about 6 months
before the DOJ case. His name was Roger. Judge Jackson's findings
of fact confirmed all but two of my accusations.
It looks like Microsoft's strategy is to back George Bush, and hope
that they can pretend to be willing to settle long enough for George
to fire Janet Reno and have a two-bit flunky from DOJ sign any
toothless settlement Microsoft wants.
Microsoft knows that if Judge Jackson rules, the next level of
appeal is the Supreme Court and that if the ONLY portion of the
Ruling that the Supreme Court accepts is that Microsoft is a Monopoly,
that the 50 states will individually enforce their antimonopoly laws.
--
Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet
I/T Architect, MIS Director

From: "W. Kiernan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 is pretty reliable
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:42:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 00:51:48 GMT, W. Kiernan > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Donn Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > Bad news for us unix types -- I've been asking around in various
> > > NG's, and people have been telling me that Windowss 2000 is
> > > extremely reliable.  From what I've heard so far, W2K has been up
> > > on people's servers, and running for 1-3 months now without a
> > > crash.  Sounds pretty stable to me.
> >
> > Well, I certainly hope so.  If Win2000 weren't able to stay up for
> > that long, I'd be selling MS stock short right now and shopping for
> > a yacht.
> >
> > My NT 4.0 servers are usually up for several months between reboots.
>
> BFD.  Is anyone suposed to be impressed with such crappy
> reliability?

"Several months" is crappy?  I don't believe I mentioned ANY crashes at
all.

> Using MS-software is like being a bad fuck.  You just don't know any
> better.

Well, now, in my office these days I've got servers running NT 4.0,
Linux (2.0.36 and 2.2.12) and Novell 5.  I have also used Novell 3.12.
So I have some experience with other OSes besides NT 4.0.  But I have to
say that I am reasonably well satisfied, though not perfectly satisfied,
with the reliability of the NT servers in my company's offices.

NT Servers are pretty scary when you add new hardware or new software,
though; the other day I tried installing a new protocol (PPTP, right off
the NT Server CD) and even though I did re-run the latest Service Pack
before rebooting, after the obligatory reboot that server kept crashing
wiith a blue screen before I could get in and fix it.  I was forced to
rename one of the .SYS files in \WINNT\SYSTEM32 just to get the damned
thing to boot without bombing off.  If I had converted my system
partition to NTFS I guess I'd have been screwed and I'd have had to
reinstall and recover my user accounts, etc., from the latest backup.
It seems there was some kind of conflict between the PPTP driver and an
older version of RRAS.

It was far from pretty, and my server was down for a couple hours (in
the evening when there were no users - I'm not crazy enough to try
installing new network components during the working day!) while I
practised all the profanity in my vocabulary.

Yours WDK - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT (Bob shows his lack of knowledge yet again)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:49:42 GMT

 Bryant Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>In article <38d091fc$2$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>@David H. McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>@
>@>In article <38cf141b$1$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>@>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>@>> David H. McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>@>>
>@>>
>@>>
>@>> HEY EVERYONE ---   Standby for McCoy to tell us how the sex was with  @>>
>someones
>@>> mother.  Its his standard MO.
>@
>@>Weenie.
>@
>@
>@McCoy you asshole, crawl back into the hole you came out of and this time
>@stay
>@there.
>@

>   Maybe you should change your name to Hackfield?
>   Followups set.

And your point is? -- McCoy is loony who jumps in and out of different news
groups with nothing of value to state, and who, when he begins to lose the
argument starts into a tirade about having sex the other fellows mother.

_____________
Ed Letourneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Matt Gaia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Virus Info Enclosed
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:54:17 -0500

No, it's possible to get a virus on any system, so no true Linvocate will
say that Linux is completely virus-proof. It just happens that there are a
lot less Linux/Unix viruses because (as everyone knows) it's easy as hell
for any script-kiddie to put together a macro-virus in Windows than to
actually look in a Unix system for a security hole to exploit.  Speaking
of security holes, I wonder if anyone exploited that one Microsoft had in
it's Clipart viewer a few weeks ago?  Just a thought.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux on Sony playstation 2. Ideas?
Date: 17 Mar 2000 02:04:51 +0100

 This will launch another "holy war" around probably, but well
it is advocacy group anyway.
 So be it. <BANG>

 Anybody has any ideas about Linux and Sony Playstation 2 (SPl2 further)?
 Basically questions I d like to hear opinions on:

1. How difficult would it be to port linux to SPl2?
2. Would it be interesting for consumers? (Here I mean not only brain dead
gamerz "I wonnnaaaaa PLAY!!!!!!!" but all other possible users of SPl2?
3. Could financial support be found for such a project?
4. Does anybody know is it possible due to legal factors like non-disclosure
agreements, copyrights, etc.
5. From what is now known SPl2 processor is pretty efficient, so could
linux community gain a cheap but effective platform in SPl2?

 Ok any opinion are welcome, but please no slur and unmotivated "IT SUCKS"
kind of posts.

 Thank you in advance.

--
Andrey Nikolaev                                 Ulm university,
Department of Biophysics.                       Germany.