  Re: DCOM vs CORBA Re: Weak points (CAguy)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Kew)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Introduction to Linux article for commentary
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:56:11 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner) writes:

> Also keep in mind that a *HUGE* percentage of the software writen today
> is custom software for internal use in big businesses, not the classic
> shrinkwrapped software market seen by consumers and referenced so often
> by magazines.

Indeed.  Most of my own work has been in that field.

However, this kind of work generates open-source software as spinoff.
The custom software I write for a Client may be of no use to anyone else,
but individual components of it can be well worth packaging up for public
release - paymasters willing.  Just as existing open-source software is
often suitable for re-use within a customised system.

(Been there, done that).

--
Nick Kew

We're so advanced here ... our nearest main road is A 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:32:58 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:20:40 GMT, George Richard Russell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Depends where in reality you are. European phone costs are extortionate, and
>>>ISP's (decent ones, anyway) tend not to be free (www.uklinux.net is!).
>>>
>>>And for Students, Educators and the untroubled warez doodz, NT is cheap.
>>>You can get Win9* && NT && Office && Visual* (C++ and J++ i think) for about
>>>£40 UK. (£10 for warez doodz). Educational use only, though.
>>>
>>>Equivalent functionality, under Linux, is just as expensive (SuSE's Linux
>>>Office 99, Corel Linux Deluxe, Redhat + Applixware)
>>
>>      As I said. You're out of touch with reality. You can get Suse
>>      and StarOffice and personal WP8 or free from anyone that has a
>>      $100 CDROM burner.
>
>And the cost of 6 CDR discs, and note, the free versions of both SuSE and
>WP8 are not equivalent to the payware versions - 1 CD vs 6 CD's for SuSE,

        The differences aren't as stark as you make them out to be.
        Furthermore, if a user is concerned about the COST of thier
        OS then they likely don't have the disk space to squander on
        6 CD's worth of stuff.

        Besides, everything on those other 5 Suse CD's is freely obtainable
        either through download or other CD collections.

>and WP8 Personal edition is crippled wrt to fonts, and is not feature
>complete compared to WP8 licensed for commericial use.

        So, then use StarOffice instead.

>The popup dialogs - "this feature is not enabled in the personal edition of WP"
>are a bit of a giveaway.
>
>Its not like everyone has geek friends with a) fast net access and b) CD burners
>
>>      If you were really bright, you would have brought up the fact
>>      that the Win32 version of StarOffice 5.1 is also free and is
>>      on the 5.1 CD.
>
>I have both the Linux and Win32 version's - the Win32 version is marginally
>faster, and has a different set of bugs. Doesn't do full screen, huge dialogs,

        These seem like rather superficial complaints primarily meant
        to be some last desperate attempt to find fault with something
        not M$.

>etc
>
>>      (I have a $100 CDROM burner too)
>
>Aren't you quite the geek. Not everyone can find cheap CD burners and bandwidth.
>HW prices in the UK are 1$==£1 + VAT at 17.5% + more vendor markup.

        I just used a web browser. The masses can use web browsers can't they?

>Cheap IDE CDR's are £140, SCSI more.
>
>>      Mind you, none of this Linux/StarOffice stuff requires whatever
>>      it might take to get yourself access to the student rate.
>
>Q. Where can a UK Linux user get fast cheap net access to download SOffice etc?
>
>A. As a student at a Uni sitting on the JANET backbone.

        A student sitting on the backbone, sitting in front of the uni's
        CD burner, who just happens to be a member of the local LUG.

[deletia]

        WinDOS users share their 'warez'. Why do you make assumptions
        against Linux that are contrary to that rather well known PC
        user behaivor?

--

        So long as Apple uses Quicktime to the effect              |||
        that web based video on x86 is 'Windows only',            / | \

                                Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:35:25 GMT

On 24 Mar 2000 12:55:05 GMT, Sacha Kaercher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:36:56 -0500, Allin Cottrell
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Eric Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> Which would you prefer?  Personally, if everything I wanted to run had a
>>> Linux version, I doubt that I would EVER boot Windows again.
>>
>>What the heck you want to run that doesn't have a Linux version?
>>

>A fast and good video player

        Xanim is good enough. So is RealPlayer. You can use Quicktime Pro
        under vmware to 'un-vendor-lock' the newer restricted codecs.

>QuarkXpress
>Opera

        That's in alpha/beta now.

>Netmeeting
>PowerPoint

        PowerPoint is better tossed in the trash.
        (Yes I've seen 1 too many 'canned' powerpoint presentations.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:39:48 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:40:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:34:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:09:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Jedi likes to talk free until it comes to spending major bucks
>>>upgrading, or really downgrading, one's system for the joy of running
>>>Linux.
>>
>>      I've probably spent more on software this year than you have.
>
>I'll be you have. I get mine comp due to my day job.
>

>>>I have a stack of printouts, web pages and books that is approaching 5
>>>ft high all devoted to running and configuring Linux and I am not
>>>talking about CLI stuff, I am talking about getting a
>>
>>      I've always just used manpages myself. If I'm really stumped
>>      I would buy a book. I have some of those for the programming
>>      languages (like TCL).
>
>Man pages would be ok if they had examples. I use them myself but I
>find them cryptic at times.

        This sort of 'I refuse to explore the UI' attitude is no less
        crippling under a GUI than it is in a C shell.

>>>soundcard/network card/wheelmouse/modem and so forth working.
>>>Making font's look reasonable so my eyes don't tear.
>>
>>      Oh, get off this assinine red herring already.
[deletia]
>>      Xfree 4.0 is an initial release.
>
>That seems to be the case with many applications for Linux.
>Always in development but never really ready for GA.

        That's true of most software in general. It's just that the
        Linux community is a little more honest about the situation.

>>      Xfree in general without RPMS is a PITA (you even botched
>>      the acronym). What Xfree 4.0 proves is that integrated TT
>>      support isn't just vaporware.
>
>Assuming you can get it working.
>Acronym's are not my thingie.

        For the previous release of the xfree beta, all I had to do
        was download and install the RPMS from 3dfx.org, actually.

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:40:47 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:12:40 GMT, NNTP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Nope.  You got it backwards.
>> Windows sets up fine (usually) but then crashes a lot when you try to run
>> it.
>
>   What version ? Windows 2000 does not, and NT very little and in
>a few cases.

        NT5 crashes LESS. It still crashes.

>> Linux is (still) tough to set up properly, but once it is,  it NEVER
>> crashes.
>
>   False, start playing with /dev entries or play some SVGALIB game
>as root (I has to be so). It crashes as little as 2000 or less, but no
>never.

        That's active sabotage rather than merely running bad apps.

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:45:45 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:48:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:41:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:29:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[deletia]
> [...]

[font red herring deleted]
>>>Especially a student who wants to submit papers that are in a format
>>>that is guaranteed to be readable by the professor evaluating it.
>>
>>      You are such a lying ass. Some of us deal with msword running
>>      professionals on a daily basis without resorting to MSWord
>>      itself. There's no good reason a student can't.
>
>SO is NOT a perfect clone of MS Word. It never has been and never will
>be. Tables, graphics and other items may or may not import correctly.
>If I were a student I would go with the flow.

        No product will be. You're essentially advocating that we
        must all but one particular product. That's hardly very
        capitalistic. For such a condition, one might as well be
        living in a communist regime of some sort.

        Mind you, you've got it ass backwards. It's not the Linux
        app that needs to import in your example. You can't even
        keep your own lies straight.

[deletia]
>>>Why take a chance? What is the reward?
>>
>>      This is the lie. There really isn't a 'chance'.
>
>And there certainly is no reward. Just hours of screwing around trying
>to make things work while the Windows/Mac users are out partying.

        Why do you pathetic MS Shills have to come up with such
        transparent lies. If you're going to LIE for your cause
        at least bother to do it a little better.

>Try calling the college support line for help. If you're lucky you
>will get a LinoNut, but officially? Ask them if Linux is supported.

[deletia]

        You M$ Shills are the genuine communists around here.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:58:19 GMT

Henrik Becker writes:
> For Money and Quicken (why both?) use VMWare,...

Use gnucash.

--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Paul Jakma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000: nothing worse
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:57:30 +0000

Nik Simpson wrote:

> Agreed, Solaris move to 64bit has been evolutionary , but to a large degree
> it was there by 2.6 at the latest. Aspects like memory addressing,
> filesystem etc had been taken care of. The basic hardware architecture for
> things like SBUS and the PCI implementation are also 64 bit. When ti comes
> to shifting around large amounts of data, the kernel and the hardware
> architecture are what really counts.

true the hardware/kernel side of I/O can copy stuff 64 bits at a time.

But you'd have to agree that a lot of the processing cost in a site such
as hotmail is done in userspace. And afaik not even sol7 supports a
userspace > 32bit.

Does sol2.6/sol7 support a 32bit VLM? eg a la older versions of VMS on
alpha, or the way Intel supports more than 4GB of RAM with a 32bit
address space?

does sol2.6/sol7 have things like mmap64, llseek64, malloc64?

> What bits are not 64bit today?

no idea, but from Sun's marketing of how Sol8 is fully 64bit, we may
reasonably assume that sol7 and sol2.6 are not. eg possibly sol2.6
processes are unable to access more than a 32bit address space. (even if
the kernel/cpu mmu can transparently map 'virtual' virtual 32bit AS's
into a 64 bit physical AS).

i honestly don't know.. i'm not a solaris fan.

> > You want real 64bit? go look at Digital Unix on Alpha. (64bit all the
> > way from the beginning).
> >

> No arguement there, but DEC had the advantage of starting with a64 bit
> architecture on Alpha, didn't have to worry about pesky things like backward
> compatability :-)

well, look at my email address, (and consider that you can replace
compaq.com with digital.com and mail will still get to me). Did you
think i'd be able to resist pointing that one out? :)

------------------------------

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:05:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>PowerPoint
>
>       PowerPoint is better tossed in the trash.
>       (Yes I've seen 1 too many 'canned' powerpoint presentations.)

What's worse is the thousands of man-hours wasted by the
creators of those presentation whiel they futz with
backgrounds, fonts, animation and other non-value-added crap.
I've heard of companies that have outlawed the use of
powerpoint.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I joined scientology
                                  at               at a garage sale!!

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:12:22 -0600

FREEDOM  we all have a choice on what we want for an OS.

I choose stability!!!

Penguin Powered!!

--
Due to extreme SPAM abuse! Remove z's and x's from above to reply.
Thank the spammer's A..holes that they are. Still can't reach me?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
Subject: Re: A pox on the penguin? (Linux Virus Epidemic)
Date: 24 Mar 2000 18:24:15 +0100

SG wrote:
>Bjørnar Bolsøy <Na> wrote:
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson) wrote in
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> >Did you know, BTW, that the Swedish military fighter Gripen (JAS)
>> >is run on PowerPC processors? There's an example of a real
>> >realtime system! :)
>>
>>  Cool! Steve, any idea what the Block52 Viper runs for its different
>>  systems? :)
>
>I honestly don't know.  I doubt it uses anything consumer grade, you know,
>9+Gs, lightning strikes, relatively unrefined generator based electrical
>system, the even less refined backup system(s), massive temp swings, etc,
>though I'm only speculating.

I doubt that any military application uses anything consumer grade.

>Whatever it uses for processing, the
>52's a Pratt, I'll take an even ten block anyday, GE power--31,000lbs of
>thrust in a clean 22,000lb jet, what else matters?  :^)

Stability, controllability, perhaps? :)

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] · http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/ · [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

Ripley: These people are here to protect you. They are soldiers.
Newt: It won't make any difference.
/Aliens

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Absolute failure of Linux dead ahead?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:26:15 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:13:10 +0100, Josef Moellers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone give a substantial reason why we would need all these
>"features" to write an operating system in, other than "C has them, so
>any language used to write an operating system in should have them too?"
>E.g. how many kernel functions rely on variable arguments? Hold this

I can think of one, that has a huge fan-in, namely printk.

Also, sprintf is handy in kernel programming. Look at all the functions that
generate the /proc stuff.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Glatt)
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT (Bob shows his lack of knowledge yet again)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:26:05 GMT

>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> Doesn't change the fact that it was a common perception. It's even
>>> been mentioned in this newsgroup on several occasions.

>> It has also been mentioned several times in this newsgroup that you
>> abused your employer's computer facilities and were reprimanded for
>> doing so

>There is a difference between a common perception and a fact. I was
>talking about a common perception. You are claiming fact, but you
>have yet to present a shred of evidence to support your claim.

It is a fact that it has also been mentioned several times in this
newsgroup that you abused your employer's computer facilities and were
reprimanded for doing so. I suggest that you learn how to use dejanews

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:30:21 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:12:41 GMT, NNTP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Really?  Who has w2k and "several software packages" for free?
>> Why would anyone want it, even for free, anyway unless they simply didn't
>> know any better?
>
>   When you loose the testing capability, you loose the learning capability.

What are you babbling about?  I was responding to a post saying that for
the cost of downloading linux, you could buy w2k and some applications.
I pointed out that it made a false asumption that it cost something to
download linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:17:02 -0600

Here in alt.os.linux, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Kew) spake unto us, saying:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner) writes:
>>
>> Also keep in mind that a *HUGE* percentage of the software writen today
>> is custom software for internal use in big businesses, not the classic
>> shrinkwrapped software market seen by consumers and referenced so often
>> by magazines.
>
>Indeed.  Most of my own work has been in that field.
>
>However, this kind of work generates open-source software as spinoff.

Yes, it certainly can (depending on the contract under which it was
written, of course).

My point was that it represents a relatively large part of the software
industry which is (usually) not adversely impacted by open source, and
which will probably probably continue in that vein for some time.

I should have been more clear.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Bsd and Linux
Date: 24 Mar 2000 17:53:01 GMT

In article <8bakec$vou$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In comp.os.linux.development.apps Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner) writes:
>
>:> : Don't be too sure about claiming this. Remember RedHat will be
including
>:> : tripwire with it's dist pretty soon and the other dists will follow,
and
>:> : the RedHat 6.2 beta defaults with a lot of things turned off that used
to be
>:> : turned on in the older RedHat 5.0-6.0 dists.
>:>
>:> RedHat will be doing something good for production system?
>:> Disbelieve!  They even don't include sudo by default. And tripwire
>:> is in Debian for ages.  If you are trying to compare Linux as
>:> production system with real Unices like BSD and Solaris, you should
>:> use Debian or Suse as comparation point. RedHat or Corel wouldn't
>:> withstand even NT.
>
>: Actually, I have been getting tripwire with RedHat since 4.2 and I
>: don't use sudo.
>
>In that case you should. Goodness knows why redhat seem to think that
>you should work as root. It's incomprehensible.

I don't use sudo either. Why should I when I can just use su to do things as
root from my user account on my personal machine? sudo is basically a silly
pain-in-the-ass.

------------------------------

From: "Francis Van Aeken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:28:15 -0300

David Damerell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:JVF*[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Francis Van Aeken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >I'll be polite and blame it on my rusty English. Let's try again.
> >Premise: we want economics (you might not agree, but that's another thing) (1)
> >Consequence: we want limited offer (with unlimited offer, there's no economics) (2)
> >Premise: unregulated copying leads to unlimited offer (fairly reasonable) (3)

> First bogosity. Someone has to _write_ the software.

We're getting nowhere here... *Of course*, somebody has to write the software.
In almost all cases, the software is written by programmers working for a
company. Then, the software is released and the illegal copying can begin.
What is your point? Maybe it isn't clear to you that I'm talking about
unlimited offer of the *same* product?

> >From (2) and (3): we don't want unregulated copying
> >Consequence: we want laws and morals (regulation)
> >Still, we might not want laws and morals if something is really wrong with
> >them, hence the question "Now, tell me, are you against laws and morals,
> >mr_organic?"

> It is not reasonable to phrase that question that way; a straight reading
> of that question can only interpret it as 'against all laws and morals'.
> If you mean 'Do you have some particular drawbacks of copyright law in
> mind?', you should say it.

I logically deduced (if one agrees with the premises) that we need
regulation. So, the question remained whether something is wrong
with regulation or not, independently of the context (copyrights).
That's exactly the point, by the way. You don't agree with my point,
so you interpret my reasoning as a logical fallacy. But, there is no
fallacy, I hope you see that by now.

To make things clearer, imagine that I deduced that we
need to kill person Q. Then I can say "Unless, of course, you
have something against killing." I don't have to say "Unless, of
course, you have something against killing *Q*". I might even
say "Unless, of course, you have something against violence."

Francis.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CAguy)
Subject: Re: DCOM vs CORBA Re: Weak points
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:01:58 GMT

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:36:50 GMT, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> DCOM was never ment to be used between components 'in process'.
>
>Correct.  DCOM provided the ability to combine smaller modules
>that could be executed either on the same machine or distributed
>across multimple machines.  Unfortunately, the performance
>consequences of using DCOM instead of COM was so expensive that
>most programmers simply stuck with COM.

I think we're mixing apples and oranges here,  If you're talking about
cross network/process communications between components..you're
talking about DCOM.  COM is a spec for in process components only.
So to say people stick with COM instead of DCOM implies that they
were using DCOM for inprocess stuff...yeah, THAT would be slow
and nobody in there right mind would do that.

>> It's just an extention to COM for distributed components. COM and
>> it variants were designed to enable modular software development
>> with no compile/link time dependencies between components.
>
>> In
>> fact, it works so well that Mozilla, Gnome, KDE are all using a very
>> similar component model. And in the case of Mozilla's XPCOM, it's
>> virtually the same as COM.
>
>Gnome and KDE use CORBA and Mozilla's XPCOM provides an API that
>works with either COM or CORBA depending on the platform.

Again, we're mixing applies and oranges. CORBA is cross network
while XPCOM is an in process component model, just like COM.
But you're right, KDE and GNOME are using CORBA for their
cross network communications. However, they are using a
component model similar to COM/XPCOM for in process stuff.
I'm not sure if Mozilla has a cross-network model yet, they
could use CORBA, or something similar to DCOM...but I think
their going with XML.

>It's worth pointing out that CORBA, an international standard,
>implemented in open source (MICO, ORBIT, JORBA,...) and sold
>as commercial products (Iona Orbix, Inprise Visigenics, IBM Component
>Broker) was already being deployed over a year before DCOM was
>announced.  DCOM was Microsoft's attempt to prevent the adoption
>of an API that would threaten the Monopoly.  In fact, the OMG had
>already released the CORBA 2 specification and there were nearly
>20 implementations of CORBA, most could interoperate with each other.
>I had working versions of MICOM on my Linux machine nearly a year
>before DCOM was announced.
>
>In the CORBA 2 specification, an appendix was added that enabled
>conversion between CORBA and DCOM.  Unfortunately, the specification
>is only sufficient to provide servers, not clients.  Thus you can
>call a CORBA server from a Windows DCOM client, but you didn't have
>enough information to call a DCOM server from a UNIX CORBA client.
>
>Ironically, the performance of several CORBA implementations was
>much faster than DCOM, but somewhat slower than COM.  The two are
>similar, but strategically very different.

Well, CORBA and DCOM are always going to be slower then COM,
obviously. Calling a COM methode is equivalent to a virtual function
call in C++...which is slightly slower then a standard C function
call.