From: Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the MS
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 02:04:11 -0400

======_=_NextPart_000_01BFA093.56D8B986

This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet
Service.  To view the original message content,  open the attached
message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to
disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original
character set. <<message.txt>>

======_=_NextPart_000_01BFA093.56D8B986

From: Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: =
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.micros=
oft
Subject: Re: The Failure of Microsoft Propaganda -was- So where are the =
MS supporters.
Date: 07 Apr 2000 14:04:11 +0800
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<8ccr85$mej$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<uroG4.36898$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<4vKG4.38415$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<9CLG4.38438$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<bQSG4.38750$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<UaVG4.39183$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<C24H4.39369$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<y37H4.39551$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<L5cH4.39888$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
<hJdH4.39925$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy:177264 alt.destroy.microsoft:141602

    >> But you do limit my right to do with my property as I see fit.
    >> You make it illegal to put a certain sequence of ones and zeros
    >> on hard disks and CD's that are my property.

    fmc> That's right, it's illegal for you to lay down a string of
    fmc> copyrighted bits. =20

That's an absurd idea.

So, I'll today write a small program --- a bit-string generator.  I'll
deploy this  program on all machines  which I own,  to increase yield.
In 1  year, my program  should be able  to exhaust all bit  strings of
length <=3D 1Mbytes.   So, at that time, I'll  start sending out =
letters
to all computer (or any digital device) users, telling them to send me
loyalty  fee  for every  file  of size  <=3D  1Mbytes  on their  =
storage
devices.  Why?   I've produced all  bit strings of length  <=3D =
1Mbytes,
for which I own the copyright.  So, anyone who has any file <=3D =
1Mbytes
on their  harddisk are "pirates"  of some of  the bit strings  that my
program has generated.  Hahahahahahahahaha.........................

For better protection,  I'll try to have this  idea patented.  So, you
can't enjoy the "independent creation" defense.  Haha...

    fmc> MicroSoft holds the copyright on "0", and
    fmc> I believe that Intel and AMD are fighting over who owns the
    fmc> "1".

I'll go to  another dimension: try to get the  ownership of letter "a"
in English  alphabet.  Whoever  uses this letter  will have to  pay me
loyalty.  Haha!

    fmc> I'm reading the side of a box that contains a copy of OS/2.
    fmc> It states that the box contains copyrighted material, and
    fmc> that "purchase is conditioned on acceptance of the license
    fmc> contained inside". =20

That's hardly any license or contract.  Without the possibility that I
*negotiate* with the  other side about the terms  in the "license", it
doesn't  constitute an  agreement or  contract.  The  terms in  it are
simply void.

    fmc> If you don't agree to the license it says
    fmc> you can return the software and get your money back.
.............^^^

I "can" or I "must"?

    fmc> If you don't like bowling on their alley, just turn in your
    fmc> shoes and get a refund.  You won't lose a dime,=20

I wouldn't  lose a dime, but  dollars!  How much is  the postage?  How
valuable is my  time and energy!?  You mean those cost  < a dime?  I'm
not cheap labour!

    fmc> you aren't
    fmc> damaged in any way, and life goes on.  You can run it, read
    fmc> it, watch it, or listen to it, but you can't copy it.

Can I keep  a **backup** copy of it, then, even  if the license *says*
that I do not have the right to do so?

--=20
Lee Sau Dan                     =A7=F5=A6u=B4=B0(Big5)                  =
  ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)=20
.----------------------------------------------------------------------=
======.
| e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     =
http://www.csis.hku.hk/~sdlee |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
====='
======_=_NextPart_000_01BFA093.56D8B986==

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft

From: Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: =
Date: 07 Apr 2000 14:04:11 +0800

http://www.csis.hku.hk/~sdlee |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
====='

From: Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: =
Date: 07 Apr 2000 14:04:11 +0800

http://www.csis.hku.hk/~sdlee |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
====='

From: Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: =
Date: 07 Apr 2000 14:04:11 +0800

http://www.csis.hku.hk/~sdlee |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
====='

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rumors ...
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:58:02 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8ck9fn$3pp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <ZO8H4.741$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Apple?
> > >
> > > It doesn't matter because Apple does not have a monopoly position on
> > > the desktop.
> >
> > Ahh.. but Judge Jackson has ruled that Apple does not exist in the
> same
> > market as Windows.  Windows is in the "x86 Desktop" market, Apple is
> in the
> > "68000 and PPC Desktop Market".
> >
> > As such, Apple is clearly a monopoly in it's own market.

> monopoly.
> > >
> > > What makes MS a monopoly is a ruling by a Judge. Unless his ruling
> is
> > > overturned, MS is has been found to abuse its monopoly position.
> >
> > The same ruling which makes Apple a monopoly in it's market.
> .
> So what? it is not illegal to be a monopoly.

Which has nothing to do with the statement that I was responding to which
was:

> > > It doesn't matter because Apple does not have a monopoly position on
> > > the desktop.

Yes, they are a monopoly in their market.

> In short, It is NOT illegal for Apple to be a monopoly as long as it has
> not achieved its monopoly by anticompetitive acts. MS was convicted of
> maintaining its monopoly by using anticompetitive acts. No such verdict
> has been made against Apple.

Apple hasn't been tried yet, but assuming the same exact yardstick were to
be applied to Apple, then Apple would also be convicted for things such as
killing the Mac clone market and forcing Be out of the PPC market.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:59:43 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8ckab9$4nq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> ?????
> Show me ONE place where Apple has strong armed a hardware vendor
> (independant of Apple its self) into pre-loading to the exclution of
> every one else the Mac OS. In deed, show me any vendor that Apple strong
> armed  into suppleing ONLY Apple products (you must PROVE that Apple
> strong armed or threatened the company) Without doing so, you can NOT
> claim Mac is being just as aggressive and draconian as MS.

Apples Authorized Dealer program prevents an apple dealer from loading
anything other than MacOS on machines for sale.

Also, Apple denied Be critical information it needed to continue to operate
under Apples hardware, forcing them out of the market.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 10:53:08 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Programming Languages

I've been reading this thread for a while and have resisted saying anything
until now.  But this has got to be the most ridiculous definition of a
programming language that I have ever heard.

Glitch wrote:

> scripts are words (scripts) that only need executable permissions and
> are not 'interpreted' but read by the shell

What do you think the shell does after reading the script?   It interprets what
it has read.

> programming languages need to be compiled and translated into machine
> code before they can be used

So C is a programming language since it needs to be compiled into machine code
before it can be used.   But what if I run a C interpreter (they do exist).
Suddenly simply by my using a C interpreter, the C language is no longer a
programming language.    That brings new meaning to the old action at a distance
theory.  By my using a C interpreter I change the meaning of C for everyone
everywhere.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:01:27 -0500

Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ckah0$fd2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <ZO8H4.741$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > George Marengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [ attribution lost ]
Apple?
> >> It doesn't matter because Apple does not have a monopoly position on
> >> the desktop.
> >
> > Ahh.. but Judge Jackson has ruled that Apple does not exist in the same
> > market as Windows.  Windows is in the "x86 Desktop" market, Apple is in
the
> > "68000 and PPC Desktop Market".
> >
> > As such, Apple is clearly a monopoly in it's own market.
>
> Idiot.  That's like arguing that Ford is a monopoly in the Ford Motor
> Manufacturing market.  Fatuous and a downright daft thing to say in a
> serious argument.

That's exactly what Judge Jackson ruled.  Microsoft is a monopoly in the
Intel Desktop PC market, not the Desktop PC market.