From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:58:27 +0100

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > gswork wrote:
> > >
> > > Out of interest, having spent time time hacking Linux would coders
> > > love to see the behemoth code that lies underneath Windows?
> > >
> > > It would be fascinating would it not?  Some of it is probably pretty
> >               ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You misspelled "laughable"
> >
> > [Ever see Microsoft source code??? Most of it, even college sophomores
> > would be ashamed to sign their name to.  No wonder Gates doesn't want
> > anybody to see it.]
>
> And how exactly would you know?  You've never seen it.

Nope, but I DO have the source of MS-DOS (older version)
Those guys who've written that stuff are probably now in the upper ranks of
MS. And it shows. I would be VERY ashamed of my work if I had written that
shitty stuff. If MS continued that way (and all is indicating in that
direction), then Windows-source is just as bad.. And who ever traced into
windows-routines during debugging knows same as well. Little wonder
those machines crawl along.

--
"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then
hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 12:17:24 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [crap snipped]
> Don't believe me?
>
> I suggest you try Linux for yourself and make your own mind up.
>
> Flatfish
> Why do they call it a flatfish?
> Remove the ++++ to reply.

Why are you _so_ scared of Linux? Are you worried
that one day it will be better than anything you could buy
from microsoft?

btw, if you are talking about "joe public", I don't
think that care about OS at all - they just want something
that works and does what they want it too. By this measure,
no OS (should relly say "system") fits "joe public's" need yet - they
all suck.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-windows sucks..sucks...sucks!!!!
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 12:26:54 +0000

mlw wrote:

> bigbinc wrote:
[snip]
> (2)I can run an X program on any machine and display its windows on any other
> machine. (MS can't even come close.)

if you can remember:
xauth +ip   (and remember the security problems)
export DISPLAY=ip:0
then - after you telnet in (we would really be using ssh right), you
need to start the app on the command line.
Of course you'll need to perhaps set up a x-proxy for compression
or tunnel it though ssh for security - and let's hope you are the only
one using
it on your LAN.
EEK.

I think you could argue that this is one area where
the words "user friendly" have not come into it. Are
there any apps that set this kind of thing up easily?

... and remember x is slow! That is why ddr was needed.

> (4) X is a well proven technology, it works well, why change it?

proven = everyone uses it.
windows = proven.
Still does not mean that I would not like to eliminate the source code
and get something sensible that would be better than a research project
gone too far.

> Aside from your ranting, name one thing that is wrong with X that can't be
> addressed ?

Where can one start? This is a very open-ended question!

Xfree86 is good - but that does not mean that is has some
type of technical merit above another system that would be
better and more efficient - it just is everywhere.

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old Flame(war)s [ was Bill Gates and Michael Dell ]
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:30:24 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Most of the serious CP/M systems were Zenith, Heathkit, etc, at the
> >> time. I bought a Z80 board with CP/M for my Apple II but I wasn't
> >> terribly impressed. I didn't like the Apple II much, either. I thought
> >> the TRaSh80 was much better. Or did the Model II run CP/M? About all I
> >> can remember is it used 8" floppies.
>
> Heath/zenith's (really the same thing) computers were toys compared to
> quality S-100 systems.

Hey guys, how about all us BOFs forget about this newfangled Windows vs
Linux stuff and get back to the *real* flame wars - TRS80 vs Apple vs
CP/M ;-)

We can all get out our home-made RS-232 adapters and acoustic couplers
and flame away at 120 bps (who could afford 300 bps?)

How can 20 years have gone so fast? Hell, this makes me feel old
well, middle-aged anyway :-(

and the funny thing about all this is that Unix systems were something
most of us could only *dream* of using back then unless we were University
students. Now they're running the world and we get *paid* for using them.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 12:37:46 +0000

pip wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > bigbinc wrote:
> [snip]
> > (2)I can run an X program on any machine and display its windows on any other
> > machine. (MS can't even come close.)
>
> if you can remember:
> xauth +ip   (and remember the security problems)
> export DISPLAY=ip:0

oops:
set DISPLAY=DISPLAY+ip:0
export DISPLAY

is it? let me check the documentation again........

:-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:13:35 GMT

In article <YCRf6.3858$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Don't believe me?
>>
>> I suggest you try Linux for yourself and make your own mind up.
>
>While I only partially agree with some of what you've written, I think this
>is something everyone (including Linux advocates) can agree on.
>
>Sadly, my own experience is that 2 out of every 3 people I have talked to
>that tried Linux, gave up on it without getting it to work successfully.

OUR hero.  What would we do without your expert opinion Mr. Fukenbush.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:16:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
pip wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> [crap snipped]
>> Don't believe me?
>>
>> I suggest you try Linux for yourself and make your own mind up.
>>
>> Flatfish
>> Why do they call it a flatfish?
>> Remove the ++++ to reply.
>
>Why are you _so_ scared of Linux? Are you worried
>that one day it will be better than anything you could buy
>from microsoft?
>
>btw, if you are talking about "joe public", I don't
>think that care about OS at all - they just want something
>that works and does what they want it too. By this measure,
>no OS (should relly say "system") fits "joe public's" need yet - they
>all suck.

I think what your trying to say/get out here is that
Flatfish and Eric Fukenbush are totally full of shit.

And if that is truely your intent.  Then you are just
dead on.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations
Date: 6 Feb 2001 07:32:19 -0600

> Start writing letters to manufacturers AND vendors and retailers that
> you will *NOT* buy any product for which an open source driver is
> not in existance.
>
> You might also mention that you make, or advise upon, hardware
> purchasing within your company.

So, you were thinking of running an actual computer eh? hahaa

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:33:26 +0000

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> pip wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> [crap snipped]
> >> Don't believe me?
> >>
> >> I suggest you try Linux for yourself and make your own mind up.
> >>
> >> Flatfish
> >> Why do they call it a flatfish?
> >> Remove the ++++ to reply.
> >
> >Why are you _so_ scared of Linux? Are you worried
> >that one day it will be better than anything you could buy
> >from microsoft?
> >
> >btw, if you are talking about "joe public", I don't
> >think that care about OS at all - they just want something
> >that works and does what they want it too. By this measure,
> >no OS (should relly say "system") fits "joe public's" need yet - they
> >all suck.
>
> I think what your trying to say/get out here is that
> Flatfish and Eric Fukenbush are totally full of shit.
>
> And if that is truely your intent.  Then you are just
> dead on.

Well if you want to get right down to the point...erm... YES! :-)

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: 6 Feb 2001 07:34:59 -0600

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:63Pf6.560$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:95lj67$5ck$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > take
> my

> > > Yep.  I'm not talking about the control you need in a work
environment,
> > > control over security - I knew MS was pretty short on that when I
first
> > > installed Win98.
> > >
> > > I'm talking about freedom and control over my own personal machine.  I
> > > can do almost anything I damn well please under 98, including useful
> > > tasks like creating a bootdisk (fuck you, WinME).  Win98 almost never
> > > pops up and says "You cannot do this", and if it does, I can bloody
> well
> > > get to DOS and do it anyway.
> >
> > Well, I suggest that you would wait and get Whistler when it's out.
> > Really cool OS, and none of the you-are-too-stupid-to-use-this nonesense
> > from ME.
> > And, anyway, rumor says that Whistler personal will be only 50$ - 90$
> > (For comparison, ME (and 2K upgrade) is  $169.99 )
>
> Thanks but no thanks...Windows 2000 Professional is the end of the line
for
> me. Whistler is totally unnecessary and .NET will NEVER pollute one of my
> machines. It's about as transparent a money vacuum as DIVX was. We will
> neither utilize it nor develop for it - period. It is something to be
> viewed with disdain, not anticipation. Only the severely short-sighted
> would actually welcome such a system.

Tom:
"I used to drive one of them model-T auto-mo-biles and then drove me a horse
and that darned horse never had a flat tire or broke down on some old dirt
road - now they say there is some new fangled newer auto-mo-bile coming
out - ahhhhh - phewie. I already rode one of thme and anyone buying one of
those auto-mo-bile things is short-sighted, it'll never last. I'll keep my
trusty horse, you don't need to go no faster than 30 mph or ride more than
double up or nothing! damn whipper snappers, i prefer old horse pockey
rather than those new advanced gadget things"

Short-sighted? ahahaha, you are really funny. You talk like you actually
think linux will be anything more than what oS/2 is today or the amiga os or
dr-dos or macOS or...

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:51:46 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

[countless knee jerk replies snipped]

And they call windows users 'lemmings'
HAH!!!

All flatfish has to do is warm up the typing fingers, hit send, and the same
collection of Linus fan-boys come out to blow the same old wind back in his
direction. (which, of course, the original poster just chuckles at)

Now THAT is a
emming!  --Not-Mom-&-Pop-purchase-an-Emachines-with-windows-X-installed.

Linlemmings!

I like it.

------------------------------

From: Het Studentje <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:57:19 +0100

> 1. People are just not interested in Linux, and I'm not talking about
> IBM I am talking about Joe user who makes up the lions share of the
> market.
My Mother uses Windows, I use Linux. If you're good with computers and start
irritating more and more on windows, Linux is a relief!!! That's my story. I
can even use some of my small favoriete Windows programs on Linux with Wine!!!

> 2. It's all about ease of use, compatibility with the neighbors and
> applications and Linux fails on all counts.
That's the reason I still use MS-Word for documents. But everything else like
web browsing, mp3's downloading, news groups, e-mail, is all Linux now.

> 3. Linux is FREE for God sakes and it STILL cannot get any sizeable
> market share. Do you Penguinista's have any idea what would happen if
> Gates took out a full page ad in the Sunday NY Times and gave Whistler
> away for free? There would be riots in the streets.
I'm convinced that if Windows would be free, there would be NO LESS Linux
users. People using Linux use it because they like it more than windows, not
because it's free. Did you know everybody using Windows has an illigal copy?

 > 4. Windows makes things so damm easy that screwing with Linux is just
> not worth the time even if one manages to get it working properly.
So damn easy that there's nothing to configure!

Then I hate windows. Why? I liked dos, I always enjoyed configuring files and
making .bat files to make things easyer. Always trying to make things better. I
liked dos because I knew what was going on and how I could alter that.

Then Windows came. You don't know what's going on. There's the dark registry.
Starting up you get "fatal error in registry", whell what now? If Linux fails,
it tells you what's wrong. You read a book, ask around and you can repair the
system.

A few weeks ago I made the transfer from Windows to Linux. Because of this:
I was just working in Outlook Express. Then I clicked a newsgroup. Suddenly my
whole computer was frozen, the screen looked like crap. Then reboot. Now
Outlook couldn't start anymore "error in msoe.dll". Then I replaced that file
with one from another computer >>> same problem. I finally discovered this file
wasn't the problem. It was something in the identity directory. I had to delete
it all and replace file by file by making the directory in Outlook and then
overwrite the new made directory .bxs file by the old one. This was an
extensive job. Then I couln't see Outlook nor Windows anymore. Now it's KNode!!!

I really like exploring other Linux programs. It never fails. Almost never
reboot. Do everything you can in Windows.

If you need MS-Word2000, just start your VMWare memory copy and in 10 seconds,
Word's there, in Linux.

> I can walk into ANY computer store and you can put a blindfold on me
> and I can pick out hardware and software that will work with Windows
> without even looking.

If I just go in a computer store and blindfold seek some hardware, I come home
with a ISA-radio card, while I wanted an Adaptec SCSI controller with a
boot-BIOS. So this isn't what you do.

> 5. Answer is StarOffice is garbage.
All office programs have been tested lately: StarOffice won. It was much better
than MS-Word2000. It just takes to many system resources. I'm going to install
OpenOffice. StarOffice is commercial. OpenOffice=StarOffice, but then the
source code is edited by everyone, just like the whole Linux is made. This is
becoming THE office suite. Much lighter than StarOffice is recourses, very much
more powerfull than MS-Word.

> 6.Hardware support under Linux is a highly mixed bag.
My computer: everything just worked, except for my scanner, but I can live with
that.

> 7.  Do deb packages work with RPM? Well sort of. Do SuSE rpm packages work
> with RedHat? Well sort of.
> How about Mandrake? Some Redhat stuff works and others do not.

What about compiling programs yourself? It works with every distro.

> Hope you have lot's of reading time on your hands because Linux
> involves lot's of reading. Generally the process starts with How-To's
> and then when you find that the How-To's are either outdated or too
> generic you will start searching the internet where you will find many
> people sitting in the same quagmire as you. Lost souls looking to run
> Linux and the net is chock full of them.
But I just like that! Spending time learning how a computer really works. Go
buy a Mac! Did you know with the modern distro's mostly everything is just as
easy as Windows? Setup: grafically, as easy as windows. Installing programs,
reading two lines of the Help and it's easy. It's as graphically as windows.

> As far as I can see only a real idiot would put up with 1980's style
> applications on their desktop. That's in a nutshell what Linux is
> about.
My type-rate is 500 ticks/minute. What do you think: can I work faster with the
mouse (graphic programs) or with the keyboard (shell).

I think installing RPM's in the Linux-shell is as easy as running Setup in
Windows. Then again, in Windows the registry is ALWAYS broken.

> Don't believe me?
> I suggest you try Linux for yourself and make your own mind up.
I did :-)

HS

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:00:40 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > ability

> > than
> > had

> > > "I feel happy!  I feel happy!"
> >
> > *KERTHUNK*
>
> "Okay, nine pence."
>
> Oh, well, I haven't heard that scene through in about
> six years.  Sigh.  What a great movie.  What cinematography!
>
> My favorite scene is when the historian gets his throat
> slashed.  And his wife rushes to his slain body.

"Red! no, Blue!  AAAAaaaaaaaaagggh!"

> Chris
>
> --
> This Windows OS is ghak!  I need dual Pentium
> processors to do battle with this code!!!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UltraEdit in Linux?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:03:24 -0500

Robert Morelli wrote:

> In article <95lb17$vhf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > hi all:
> >
> > i am a loyal user of UltraEdit for years under Windows. recently i am
> > using more and more Linux for software development, but i haven't really
> > found an editor that is quite as good and compact as UltraEdit. so far,
> > i've just been using the regular/standard editors that come with Linux,
> > such as vi, emacs, and pico.
> >
> > i would like to have something that would run under X and somewhat
> > resembles UltraEdit (keyword high-lighting, space-tab option, auto
> > format, and most importantly, the vertical selection!) anyone have any
> > idea of such editor in Linux?
>
> I don't know Ultra-Edit,  but the features you mention seem to be fairly
> basic.  You can certainly get them all in emacs and XEmacs for instance.
> (I assume that the most important one for you,  vertical selection,  is
> what would be called a rectangular selection in emacs.  You get it by
> using M-Button1,  i.e. by dragging the mouse with the meta key.)
> There are emacs modes for all the commonly used programming
> languages.  They do the basic things that you mention,  and in some
> cases quite a lot more.
>
> On the other hand,  I think you may end up frustrated by the user
> interface of Emacs and the other common Linux programming editors.
> Part of the problem is that Linux has no standards for user interface
> design,  and many Linux programmers don't even seem to be aware
> of the need for such standards.  Even things as simple as drag and
> drop are rarely implemented by X applications,  a problem
> compounded by the existence of four or five incompatible dnd
> protocols under Linux.
>
> Since Linux is so totally backwards in this respect,  the best that
> we can hope is that over time Linux apps will converge on the CUA
> standards that guide Windows development,  and which more or less
> agree with ui standards for the other major non-Unix platforms.  I
> suggest that if you care about the future of Linux,  you should encourage
> all Linux developers to try to respect Windows ui standards.

It's called competitions and user-choice vs.
the "You *WILL* do it this way, or else" mentality of non *nix OS'es.

> The interface of vi is among the most bizarre I have ever encountered.

Mnemonics?  Not very bizarre.
Modal editors?  also rather common before GUI's.

> FSF Emacs is quite weird but not as bad.  XEmacs is somewhat weird,
> but there is a ray of hope for XEmacs since its next release will be based
> on gtk.  This is a small step in the right direction.
>
> My understanding is that NEdit was built from the start to adhere to the
> Windows ui standard,  but I've never used NEdit so I can't say.
>
>  > thanks in advance.
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.