Linux-Advocacy Digest #7, Volume #31             Thu, 21 Dec 00 17:13:03 EST

Contents:
  This group should rename itself (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: My pet peeve:  Developers who don't furnish a complete application package.
(David Dorward)
  Re: Linux is free. (David Dorward)
  Re: An Entire Day With Linux (Yukkkkk!!!) (WesTralia)
  Re: Name one thing Microsoft INVENTED.... (JoeX1029)
  Re: This group should rename itself (mlw)
  Re: An Entire Day With Linux (Yukkkkk!!!) (Mig)
  Re: Hotmail again {Re: Another UNIX sight is doun!} ("Richard Wright")
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (Russ Lyttle)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Who LOVES Linux again? ("MH")
  Re: Conclusion (Shane Phelps)
  Re: My pet peeve:  Developers who don't furnish a complete application  (Donn Miller)
  Re: My pet peeve:  Developers who don't furnish a complete application  (Karen Rosin)
  Re: Reds, Yellows, and Other Bitter Pills (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: My pet peeve:  Developers who don't furnish a complete application package.
(Yatima)

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: This group should rename itself
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:29:58 +0000

I think this group ought to rename itself:

comp.os.linux.bigots

After all, there is very little advocacy here, only "Windows sux" and "Hey
Wintroll" spewing forth ad naseaum.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My pet peeve:  Developers who don't furnish a complete application
package.
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:29:09 +0000

Spicerun wrote:

> <Rant Mode>
> It really gets frustrating to download an application...mostly in source
> form....and try to install and compile, then find
> that the package requires 2 or 3 other packages.....some of which can

Have you tried Debian? Stable isn't bleeding edge, but alt-get will
automatically sort out dependances for you.

------------------------------

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is free.
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:33:59 +0000

Pete Goodwin wrote:
> David Dorward wrote:

> What _were_ you doing? I've installed both Linux and Windows on the same
> hardware and they both take about an hour.

(not exactly in this order)

Installing base system
Installing graphics drivers
Rebooting to safe mode to fix the strangeness caused by my monitor not
liking 800x600 (higher or lower is fine, just not 800x600)
Installing sound drivers
Installing DVD / dxr3 drivers
Installing anti-virus software
Installing Star Office
Installing CDRW drivers
Installing logitech mouse drivers
Installing network drivers
Setting up Networking

then I had to boot from a floppy to restore lilo to the MBR

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: An Entire Day With Linux (Yukkkkk!!!)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:37:53 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[snip Linux desktop review]

> So tell me again, why should I switch from Windows 2000 to Linux?

Since you use Windows 2000 you must be interested in servers and if
you want the better server of the two (WIN2000/Linux) then you will
need to switch to Linux.

A rather simple answer to a rather simple question...

-wt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Date: 21 Dec 2000 20:56:21 GMT
Subject: Re: Name one thing Microsoft INVENTED....

>Other than SALES, they have contributed nothing.

I like the Mice MS makes, like the optical one (they mave not have invented it
but its a damn good mouse.)  The joysticks are good too.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This group should rename itself
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:21:16 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> I think this group ought to rename itself:
>
> After all, there is very little advocacy here, only "Windows sux" and "Hey
> Wintroll" spewing forth ad naseaum.

Well, with this description, it should be: comp.os.linux.obvious, truth
is truth.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:17:42 +0100

David Dorward wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I have Mandrake 7.2 already set up and running, as best as it can for
> > Linux that is.
>
> Well thats the distro I use for my workstation.

Mine too

> > First off, this version of Linux is anything but stable and that is a
> > fact. Here are a few bugs:
>
> There are a few flaky bits, Mandrake tries to stay ahead of the game. If
> you want an ultra stable distro try debian 2.2

Agree.. i wish they were a bit more conservative

> > Open a terminal window under kde and that's the end of it. You can
> > never open another one because it is hung. You can open other programs
> > and run them but when you try to logout of kde it is hung and it's
> > kill the xserver time.
>
> Never had any problems, but then I don't use KDE. Which version were you
> using? Drak72 was rushed out with a beta version of KDE2 (1.9x), if thats
> the one you have you should get the update.

Can fonfirm the "no problem here" theory. Not even the KDE2 last beta had
those problems with konsole

> > Wheel mouse worked fine until I tried Gnome instead of kde and it (the
> > wheel) never worked again after that. Re-installing via DrakConf
> > didn't help.
>
> Logitech wheel mouse (always a pain) was autodetected and has worked
> perfectly from day one (and still works)

Same here... works perfectly.... actually so good that i miss one in my W2K
box (thats a slow buggy machine - the software i mean)

> > Use the Fontmanager to find my Windows TT Fonts, which it does, but
> > they never show up in any of the menues to be selected. SO where are
> > they and how do I use them?
>
> Once you found them did you install them? I only want to use them in GIMP
> and they show up there (I haven't looked for them elsewhere so I can't
> comment)

Did also.... works perfectly and with no problems what so ever. Very goog
font installer.. even the dumbest user can use it.

> > Setting up an account in Gnome Dialer doesn't work. When you hit OK
> > button after inputting all the data it just goes back to a blank, like
> > when you started. Real nice applet that one is.
>
> I use a network connection for Internet access so I don't have any
> experience with that.

I use a ppp dialer.. but since i use KDE2 i use kppp. NEver used the gnome
one but its certainly just an interface to pppd.

> > Selecting "Help" in just about any program brings up that totally
> > useless generic KDE help (How to move a mouse etc), or a message that
> > help hasn't been written yet. Doesn't surprise me seeing as half of
> > kde hasn't been written yet. It looks and acts like a toy and is very
> > unstable.
>
> So use gnome? Or icewm? Or Enlightenment? OR OR OR OR

Strange.. i reallly think hes using a beta since when i click on F1 i get
the "Knode manual" page right now.

> > Menues between the various window managers don't have the same
> > selections in them. For example:DrakConf is missing from
> > Enlightenment. So where did they go?
>
> I run gnome on enlightentment. Middle clicking to bring up the
> enlightenment menu puts DrakConf in EXACTLY the same place as in Gnome.

Hmmm.. Enlightenment is a totally different thing.... Mandrake defaults to
KDE so use KDE kid since youre a beginner

> > Speaking of Enlightenment (pretty nice BTW), once you run it all of
> > your menues in kde and Gnome get screwed up. Totally out to lunch
> > unless you wish to rebuild all of your menus.
>
> Really? Well I run it on underneath Gnome with no problems.

I run it sometimes as standalone and there are no problems... Sometimes i
also use WM and still have no problems with that.

> > Printing doesn't work with StarOffice and CUPS.
>
> I think StarOffice may use its own funny print format and require its own
> drivers - nothing to do with CUPS. Not sure about that though -  I don't
> use it.

I use CUPS and not StartOffice and printing works just about perfect.

> > Trying to change the fonts under Gnome Terminal is an exercise in
> > confusion. Couldn't they just have a selection "big, larger,huge like
> > kde does instead of telling me every fsking detail about the font
> > except what type it is (tty etc).
>
> Seems alright to me. If you don't want the amount of customisation
> available in gnome terminal use xterm or rxvt

Hehe.. i think our friend has problems selecting "Settings"->"Preferences"
->"general" ->"browse" and then select the proper font. First time i use
Gnome Terminal and got it right right away. Some people you just cannot help

> > XFree 4.x kills the WheelMouse. Never works even with imwheel.
>
> I still use the 3 series so I can't comment.

I use 4.0 and wheelmouse still works perfectly

> > Not to mention none of my USB devices work.
>
> USB is still very new in Linux. As a result few developers have USE
> devices so there is little incentive to write drivers for them.

I dont have any

> > Add to this that Netscape looks like crap no matter what font is
> > chosen.
>
> So use something else. Mozilla is nice, although you have to download it
> seperatly. Or there is konqurer.

Netscape looks fine.. he just does not know how to select fonts.

> > I did like knode though and that application has promise.
>
> I use it myself, very nice. I can't wait for it to support a killfill.

Well.. you could make a custom filer ? :-)

> > And on and on and on....
> >
> > Free or not, one has to wonder if anyone test's these things before
> > they ship this garbage.
> >
> > So tell me again, why should I switch from Windows 2000 to Linux? Why
> > should anyone switch? Is there a compelling reason? Surely just
> > looking at the painful boxy fonts of Linux is enough to make one run
> > back to Windows. The way I see it I would be taking a huge step
> > backwards all for the joy of running Linux.
>
> Its cheeper. It is easier to maintain. It doesn't crash very often (unlike
> windows which crashes within a day of being installed on this boxen). What
> on earth have the fonts the linux uses got to do with it?

I dont think he should switch.. he should stay with Windows.. .he's fine
there

> > Nothing much has changed in 2 years from a UI point of view.
>
> We are talking about Windows now aren't we?

Good point.. W2K  (that i use at work) looks pretty much like win95.. so
its nearly 6 years :-)
--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: "Richard Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Hotmail again {Re: Another UNIX sight is doun!}
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:31:27 -0000

Hotmail WAS recently transferred to a win 2000 server. And now a netcraft
graph clearly shows it has more downtime than when it was on Unix. Plus
Hotmail must be on the most stressed out servers on the web. All my friends
use hotmail - I don't know why people don't just use the pop3 service that
comes with their ISP. Anyone who can't set it up from a help file on their
ISP's web server is DIM and the tiny amount of work will bring huge
benifits - like being able to get to your email.
news:91ggoj$eoc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:37:05 GMT

jtnews wrote:

> Russ Lyttle wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, the correct answer is YEP. You might win, Intel might
> > loose, but in the meantime, who has money to pay for lawyers? I would
> > suggest contacting Intel and clearing it with them first. Otherwise post
> > the code as "anonymous coward" somewhere from a cybercafe.
>
> What I don't understand is why a company as big as Intel won't support
> Linux, even if it was just a driver with an object file and no source,
> that would do.  I'd like to use the Easy PC camera as a home security
> intrusion detection camera.  If they made the driver available for
> Linux, then I'd buy
> at least 3 more cameras.

At one time we refered to MS and Microsoft as the "Wintel Monopoly". MS
& Intel worked closely together. Intel would not release a new chip
until MS had time to make sure DOS/Windows would run on it. This assured
quick adoption of the new chips in PCs. Now they are on the outs because
MS got carried away with its power and killed, IIRC, Intel 3d video
technology. But Intel is a big outfit and many people inside still katow
to MS. They fear that if Intel gets too friendly with Linux, MS will
change their OS enough to hamper adoption of Intel add ons.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:40:53 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:05:08 -0700, John W. Stevens wrote:

I DIDN'T WRITE THE STUFF BELOW.  --Chris

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,us.military.army
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:42:27 -0500

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> him.
> > >
> > > And which of our nation's problems are you fixing, wannabe-war-hero?
> >
> > Tell us again you how believet that German, Japanes, North Korean,
> > Japanese, Viet Cong, and North Vietnamese soldiers never fired at
> > American medics.
>
> You again demonstrate that you truly are obsessed.

So quoth the Captain Obsessed...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:47:06 -0500

> "Steve/Heather/Keys88/Claire_lynn/Amy/Swango/Swangoremovemee/flatfish++++"
>  Forte Agent 1.8/32.548, AT&T Worldnet

> Your back!
> And as a male persona this time, gee it reminds me of you in 1997, except
> you're not pretending to be a Linux newbie these days.

Look here, once and for all.

Y O U ' R E == you are.

Y O U R == possessive.

I yi yi...

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conclusion
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:46:55 +1100

Adam Warner wrote:

> Hi Ayende,

> > > Now would be a good time to ask: what's wrong with deleting files in the
> > > /tmp directory?
> >
> > The wrong thing is when you delete the directory itself.
>
> OK, thanks. That would obviously cause problems for all programs trying to
> access/create temporary files.
>
> Adam

Pedant point:

rm /tmp isn't going to do anything at all unless /tmp is a symbolic link.

The rm command won't remove directories unless it's given the -r
(recursive) option

The DEL command in MS-DOS used to remove directories as well as files,
but I don't think that was recursive. Wan't there a DELTREE command
for recursive removal?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:45:15 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Spicerun wrote:

> <Rant Mode>
> It really gets frustrating to download an application...mostly in source
> form....and try to install and compile, then find
> that the package requires 2 or 3 other packages.....some of which can
> only be compiled so that the application you compile
> can find the bits of source code/include files necessary from those
> packages.

The FreeBSD ports mechanism takes care of this sort of thing.  If you
build a port that depends on other packages, libs, or binaries that
aren't installed, it automatically fetches those ports, compiles, and
installs them before building the port.  Not that it's applicable to
Linux, but I thought I mention it.

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:45:31 +0200
From: Karen Rosin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Spicerun wrote:

> <Rant Mode>
> It really gets frustrating to download an application...mostly in source
> form....and try to install and compile, then find
> that the package requires 2 or 3 other packages.....some of which can
> only be compiled so that the application you compile
> can find the bits of source code/include files necessary from those
> packages.  In most cases, the Developer tells you up front
> everything that you need, but a lot of them don't.
>
> Nothing is more infuriating than having your compile come to a dead stop
> because it couldn't find some cryptically named file
> or library with no clue as to where or what the missing piece is.  In my
> case, I abandon the application if it has to link with 4 or
> more libraries not supplied in normal Linux distributions.  I think a
> lot of people will abandon a propective application even
> earlier than I do.
>
> I really think the Linux cause would be helped greatly if 1.  developers
> would stop every once-in-a-while and catch up the documentation
> or requirements so others can know the full requirements   2. developers
> would just stop and test their application package on a newly
> setup Linux System that has no libraries other than the standard
> libraries......and correct their packages to where everything is
> included, and
> 3.  Reconsider how they are writing their code if they are linking to an
> excessive number of libraries that are not standardly found
> in any standard Linux System.  I know this is not fun for the
> developers, but the developers need to understand that if they don't
> do their work fully, the general public isn't going to bother with their
> work.  The developer ends up losing.
>
> </End Rant Mode>

Another option is to find an automatic method, which will bring you the
application with the dependencies e.g.
something to fill up the gap. Try to download the Aduva Manager from
www.aduva.com
you will not have these kind of problems with that tool.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Reds, Yellows, and Other Bitter Pills
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:45:57 GMT

redc1c4 wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> (snipage occurs)
> >
> > By the way, did you know that the election of George Bush was predicted
> > by Nostradamus?  Here's the prediction:
> >
> >         "In the twelfth month of the millennial year, in the land of
> >         greatest power, the village idiot will be brought forth and
> >         declared the leader"
> >          - Nostradamus
> >
> > Nyuk nyuk!
> >
> > Chris
>
> hi "Leader"!
>
> redc1c4,
> laughing last

It would be funny if I were declared the leader.  It was George Dubya,
however, not I.  Yet, were I the leader, I wouldst careth naught
were I also an idiot, for an idiot can enjoy power as much as can
any man.

Chris "Dubya" Ahlstrom

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,us.military.army
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:45:20 -0500

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > > The only thing you screwed, KuKu, was any respect you might receive from
> > > true soldiers due to your constant "wannabe-war-hero" lies and your lack
> of
> > > general military knowledge.  True soldiers have seen your kind before.
> >
> > Tell us again about your belief that German, Japanese, North Korean,
> > Chinese, Viet Cong, and North Vietnamese combatants never fired at
> > American medics....
>
> There are doctors that treat for obsession as well as pathological lying.
> Seek one, wannabe.

You mean like where you claim that German, Japanese, North Korean,
Chinese, Viet Cong, and North Vietnamese never fired on American medics...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,us.military.army
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:49:10 -0500

redc1c4 wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > billh wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > > The only thing you screwed, KuKu, was any respect you might receive from
> > > true soldiers due to your constant "wannabe-war-hero" lies and your lack of
> > > general military knowledge.  True soldiers have seen your kind before.
> >
> > Tell us again about your belief that German, Japanese, North Korean,
> > Chinese, Viet Cong, and North Vietnamese combatants never fired at
> > American medics....
>
> better yet, explain again how they could be singled out, when the casualty
> figures don't support your claims?

You idiot. THE VERY SAME STATS which YOU (Redloser) obtained from the
Army war historian demonstrated conclusively that it medics become
casualties at a rate 50% higher than infantry men.

> put up, or shut up, "war hero".

You write like a jealous little boy who didn't get to go...

> redc1c4,
> infantryman, medic
>
> > --
> > Erron R. Kulkis
> > Eunuch Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey (REVOKED)
> the DNRC won't have you, oh pointy haired one.
> --
> "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
> better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We
> ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed
> you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that
> ye were our countrymen."
> Samuel Adams

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yatima)
package.
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:50:46 GMT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:29:09 +0000, David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Have you tried Debian? Stable isn't bleeding edge, but alt-get will
>automatically sort out dependances for you.

Acutally it's apt-get and if you want the latest and greatest try
unstable (Sid) or testing (Woody). I'm running Sid which is quite stable
but testing should be even better although it will lag behind Sid by a
couple of weeks or so.

--
yatima