Subject: Re: What GUI development tools are there for Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:58:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote in
<8d7i7v$30r1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> Yes, I could type plan-9 into a search engine, but I kinda expected
>> the person who mentioned it would say a little about it rather than
>> expect me to go off elsewhere to find out what he was talking about.
>> It's what I would do.
>
>Its not what I do.  If you want to know all about something, go find
>out. Do not expect me or anyone else to hold your hand.

Ah, so in a conversation with someone, you mention something they've never
heard of, you simply reply "go look it up yourself"?. Woudln't you at least
give a brief precis of what it was you were talking about, no?

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:08:42 GMT

<8d7idq$30r1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>And youve just demonstrated my original point, which was all about you
>looking for a replacement for windows.

And what kind of logic do you figure that out? What I'm looking for is a
development environment, or IDE, for Linux, so I can write X style
applications.

>> If I mention something that someone's never heard of I don't mind
>> giving a brief description and possibly a link to a web site or
>> whatever for further research. Seems only polite on my part, since I
>> mentioned it.
>
>It seems like you dont know how to use a search engine.

Again what kind of logic causes you to arrive at that conclusion? Of course
I know how to use a search engine. It appears to me you do not know how to
engage in a polite and friendly conversation.

>> I won't bother to ask about Inferno...
>
>Good.  Its so entirely unlike windows that youd probably not have a very
>good time trying to understand it anyway.

Really? On what do you base that piece of logic?

Are you thinking "here is another Windows user trying to understand Linux
who hasn't got a chance because he's so deeply brainwashed by it"?

Or maybe you think I'm here to try to convince you all that Windows is
best, and Linux is inferior (or vice versa)?

Actually I'm here to find out about development environments for Linux, my
original question. Ask yourself how much your later replies have answered
that question.

Pete.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:13:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (2:1) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I have to agree with you, RISC-OS has a nice windowed interface, sadly,
>though, Acorns don't seem very popular at the mo... :-(

Mine is rotting away slowly in the garage. Sad really, was way ahead of
Windows in its time.

>The problem with RISC-OS, however, is that compared to X[1] it is not
>very customisable, so if you don't like iot then tough.

I dunno, I got the stone style scroll bars with springs in. Agreed you
could go further with X but still...

Still waiting for stone scroll bars in Windows.

>[1] I know X is not a GUI, but it gives you the ultimate in
>customization by allowing you to slap any old GUI on top of it.

KDE seems to me to be the most usable.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:15:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Troy Bourdon) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>KDE is built on the Qt library I believe. Development Tools? Vi and
>Make, do you need anything else. Oh and I think there's a version of the
>Qt library for Windows so you should just have to recompile your source
>if you want a Windows version of your software.

Vi is a bit prehistoric - I prefer SEDT or something like I can get in
Windows style IDE's. Having an built in make is useful too.

I didn't know about Qt for Windows. That might be an easier route for me.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lund)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Become a Windows Registry Expert!
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:21:43 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eric
Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

(...)

> Mangaging, Supporting, and Troubleshooting the Windows Registry
> A 2 day hands-on workshop
> Use this workshop as a steppingstone to Microsoft(R) Ceritification

(...)

> What You'll Learn
>
> * The important differences between the Windows 95, Windows 98, and
> Windows NT(R) Registry.
>
> * The proper way to use RegEdit and RegEdit32 regardless of the
> operating system [great; always wanted to use RegEdit32 on my Mac]
>
> * How .DAT files assist in restoring a corrupted Registry

(whole lotta technical stuff deleted)

And now compare all that crap to learning how to zap the PRAM, rebuild the
desktop, ditch bad prefs, and find the control panel (I'm talking about
the Mac, of course). Windows might look like an ugly mac on the surface,
but it's even worse inside.

And still it's on 90%(?) of all computers...

--

C Lund
http://www.notam.uio.no/~clund/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lund)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:26:52 +0100

(Steve) wrote:

> I've been _heavily_ using Win95/98 since the day Win95 was released
> and have _yet_ to have to play with the registry. I'll tell you what's
> _pathetic_ and that's the back-water Mac only being able to run one
> instance of a program at a time.

Well, you see...

1. The Mac doesn't have to run more than one instance of an app at a time,
since most Mac apps can handle multiple documents at a time. You may have
a multitasking OS (so does the Mac, btw), but it seems you (Wintrolls,
that is) don't have a single multitasking/threaded app.

2. You *can* run multiple instances of an app on the Mac, as long as you
make multiple copies of the app on your HD. Of course, this isn't
necessary since most apps can handle multiple apps.

Guess we just have more advanced software than you guys do.

--

C Lund
http://www.notam.uio.no/~clund/

------------------------------

From: Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Now well OT Communism v Marxism (was: Introduction to Linux article for
commentary)
Date: 14 Apr 2000 23:12:50 +0100

"Viktor Shamov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In Russia never was communism , was totalitorism, dictatorship ...

Or, as Alex Viro put it a while back, it was `the biggest VBC in the
world, and the only way to get fired was literally'.

--
`ndbm on Linux is an emulation, not the original. It comes in several
 flavours; `slightly broken', `moderately broken', and `totally and

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Corel Linux Office 2000 and Win32 Emulator Making Progress
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:18:28 +0100

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 06:46:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
Ghost In The Machine) wrote:

>  Much as I dislike Windows,
> Netscape is worse, at least on Linux (I don't precisely know why,
> either).  Maybe when Mozilla gets good enough to build (it's not
> all that bad now, but it's slow as a pig in molasses), or Netscape
> 6 gets ported

Netscape 6 for Linux is available for download right now. About 10Mb.
Installs fine under RedHat 6.1. Not had time to evaluate properly.

Peter,
--

The past is almost as mysterious as the future.

------------------------------

From: Tesla Coil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dvwssr.dll
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 02:57:19 -0500

On 15 Apr 2000, Francis Van Aeken replied:
>>>    "The file, called ''dvwssr.dll'' is installed on
>>> Microsoft's Internet-server software with Frontpage 98
>>> extensions.  A hacker [sic] may be able to gain access
>>> to key Web site management files, which could in turn
>>> provide a road map to such things as customer credit
>>> card numbers, The Journal reported."
>>
>> Stop the FUD. The Wall Street Journal was wrong.

Microsoft FUDing Microsoft?  Their latest security bulletin:

"On April 14, 2000, Microsoft issued the original version
of this bulletin, to discuss a security vulnerability affecting
several web server products. Shortly after publishing the
bulletin, we learned of a new, separate vulnerability that
significantly increases the threat to users of these products.
The remediation is the same as originally described, so any
customers who followed the original recommendations would
not need to take additional steps. However, some customers
who did not need to take action based on the original
assessment may need to do so now."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms00-025.asp

"The scope of the buffer overrun vulnerability far exceeds that
of the file access vulnerability that originally was reported.
The original vulnerability allowed certain users to view files
on the server; the buffer overrun vulnerability potentially could
allow a malicious user to perform any desired action on the
server, including viewing the same files."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq00-025.asp

abraxas replied to Francis Van Aeken:
>>" In addition, Internet Security Systems (ISSX: Research,
>> Estimates) just discovered a flaw in a Web server component
>> of the Linux operating system that could allow hackers [sic ;-]
>> to gain "back door" access to Web site files, Rouland said. "
>
> Typical.  Which web server component?  Whats the flaw?

And which that's exclusive to Linux?  A vulnerability of a web
server component of Linux is potentially a vulnerabiltity of a
variety of operating systems.  For example, could be FrontPage
Server Extensions for UN*X... ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Why Linux on the desktop? [OT]
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:58:32 +0200

It was the Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:28:00 -0600...
...and John W. Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim Dabell wrote:
> >
> > "John W. Stevens" wrote:
> > >
> > > Are monitors computing systems?
> >
> > YES FFS!  That, along with hard drives, memory, and other nice things.
> > All in one package, as opposed to the average desktop system, with
> > monitor separate.
>
> IOW, a monitor is *PART* of a computing system, yes?

Depends on your definitions. Certainly, a monitor is not involved with
programs in any way. Algorithms execute whether you can see their
output or not. Yes, even interactive ones do. For the purpose of this
discussion, it's completely irrelevant whether the input to a program
is a meaningful user reaction to the output or just something random.

After all, we are not talking about the inner workings of the user's
brain, but about those of the computer's innards.

> > > (a) Is using the slider on the GUI to the volume control program
> > > programming?
> >
> > No.
>
> Why not?

It does not involve implementing an algorithm in a programming
language.

> > > (b) Is using the monitor control panel to brighten the display:
> > > programming?
> >
> > No.
>
> Why not?

Is turning up the volume on your stereo programming?

> > > If the program you wrote in step (d) instead of using (b), uses a
> > > robotic arm to reach up and adjust your monitor hardware brightness
> > > control, are you not programming?
> >
> > Perhaps.  Again, since you wrote a program, most people would probably
> > call it programming.
>
> And, so, once again . . . why is the exact same operation (that of
> adjusting the monitor) not-programming in one place, but in another, it
> "may be" programmin?

Programming means creating an implementation of an algorithm that can
be executed by the computing machinery.

Spoon-feeding events into the machinery is not programming. In fact,
if you use a GUI, you usually execute an algorithm in your own head,
and the output goes to the GUI in form of mouse and keyboard events.
You hold the place of an interpreter, not a programmer, when using a
GUI.

> > > If the monitor is part of the computer, and you adjust the brightness,
> > > isn't that the same as "change the way the computer is running?"
> >
> > No.  It doesn't change the way the computer runs.
>
> Really?  How so?  The computer is spitting out less light than it did
> before . . . so therefore it is running differently, yes?

Irrelevant. It does not change the state of the machine in any way.
The state of a computer can be reconstructed from a number of values;
they do not include the brightness setting of the monitor.

> > > Excuse, but that describes why people write programs: to complete a
> > > specific task.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't mean specific as in "one class of problems", I mean
> > specific as in "I need to rename a to b".
>
> But my point is: how do the processes differ?  A program uses variables,
> into which you put specific values during different runs, but isn't that
> precisely how you "use" a computer: you learn the pattern, then stick
> different values into the pattern every time you "run" the pattern?

Letting a computer interpret an algorithm is different from
interpreting it yourself. If it weren't, there would be no point in
using computers for any purpose at all.

> > The key phrase is "most people", the term is subjective,
> > and IMHO, so is programming, as proven by this thread.
>
> Pornography is not at all subjective, once you have created a definition
> for it.  What you've really proven is that people are *UNWILLING* to
> create these definitions, *NOT* that these definitions cannot be
> created.

I've got a definition. You've got one, too. Yours is childish and
ridiculous, however. "Anything you do to a computer is programming."

Bother. "Anything you do to a woman is sex."

Absurd.

mawa
--
LASS MAL STECKEN

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bastian)
Subject: Re: uptime -> /dev/null
Date: 15 Apr 2000 11:08:15 GMT

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:53:41 -0400, Rich C wrote:
>Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Bastian wrote:
>>
>> > A light bulb hardly ever screws up when it's running. The dangerous
>point
>> > (as with every electrical device) is the time when you switch it on. It
>has
>> > something to do with Ohm... (don't ask me about the details please :-)
>>
>> Well, the problem is with incandescent light bulbs.  By switching the
>> thing on and off a bunch of times, the tungsten filament warms and
>> cools, causing thermal stresses, which in turn shortens the life of
>> the filament.  If you leave it on constantly, though, there is no
>> warming up and cooling down; it's just warm all the time.
>>
>> - Donn
>
>Ah, but it's not really on all the time is it? (Unless you have DC
>current.) You can actually turn a light bulb on and off hundreds
>of thousands of times and have it last longer than a light bulb that is
>"on" all the time if you do it fast enough. (The temperature of
>the filament remains constant, but lower.)

I know about the Ohm thing now:
   U=R*I
U is constant, and R varies. If the temperature is low, R is small, thus
I needs to be high in order to make the U constant. The high current makes
the device heat up enormously in a short time (this is the dangerous point!).
However, the warmer the device gets, the higher is R and the lower is I.
So, if you swtich on an alreday "warm" device, it's not that bad. If you do
it too often in a short time, however, the contraction/expansion of the
material seems to be more fatal than if you leave it turned off for a while.

Bastian

------------------------------

From: "Keith T. Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: How does WINE work?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:21:27 -0400

Roger <roger@.> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:50:29 -0700, someone claiming to be Bob Lyday
> wrote:
>
> >There is a long story about the split.
>
> Most of which you have wrong.
>
> >IBM and M$ clashed on what they wanted.
>
> This much is so.
>
> >M$ wanted pretty junk that would sell big,
> >while IBM held out for quality at all costs.
>
> MS wanted to go all 32-bit, IBM wanted an OS to run on it's PS/2 line,
> which was based on the 80286.

And it ran quite well on there too

------------------------------

From: "newsgroups jp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Subject: Re: Backdoors in Windows 2000?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:42:44 -0400

Im tester and developer and windows 2000 have a backdoor. A lot of magasine
talk about that. im test presently the program and the backdoor have a
security. is secure to use windows 2000.
Anyway a backdoor or private investigation is not rare.

------------------------------

From: "newsgroups jp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:45:42 -0400

use the patch. the public copy dont have backdoor. is just for the server
and commercial license.
Spy technologie for u-s-a or microsoft????? Is a erea 51 area here :-) is
real for backdoor
Is not dangerous to une windows 2000 fot the public. The nsa is not
interested by your private email whith your parent... :+)

------------------------------

From: "newsgroups jp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:46:59 -0400

The copy windows 2000 whith the backdoor for server alpha is not in sale. is
a test version

------------------------------

From: "newsgroups jp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:47:58 -0400

Windows 98 se have the same backdoor. and windows millenium have the
backdoor presently on the beta copy.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 07:57:29 -0400

Francis Van Aeken wrote:

> Tesla Coil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >    "The file, called ''dvwssr.dll'' is installed on
> > Microsoft's Internet-server software with Frontpage 98
> > extensions.  A hacker [sic] may be able to gain access
> > to key Web site management files, which could in turn
> > provide a road map to such things as customer credit
> > card numbers, The Journal reported."
>
> Stop the FUD. The Wall Street Journal was wrong.
>
> Moreover, (from : http://cnnfn.com/2000/04/14/technology/microsoft/ ) :
>
> " In addition, Internet Security Systems (ISSX: Research, Estimates) just
> discovered a flaw in a Web server component of the Linux operating
> system that could allow hackers [sic ;-] to gain "back door" access to
> Web site files, Rouland said. "
>
> Francis.

I know of no "web server component" of the Linux operating system except
for an experimental kernel module that should not be used on a
production machine, because it is .. experimental.

However, the context of the article suggests it is the Linux version of
the Frontpage extensions for Linux, which are also produced by either
MS, or an affiliate. Either way, as a closed source distribution, of
course these things will happen. There is a great article about the
nature of trust in computers. It was written by either Kernagan or
Ritche (I think, the details escape me at the moment.)

For a server, something that is fundamentally more important than an
arbitrary desktop machine, why would you bet your company on an OS that
which no one can double check and make sure it is doing what is said
that it should be doing?

I used to be a real NT zealot, kernel developer, beta tester, the whole
deal. The more I work with Linux and FreeBSD, the more I hope I never
have to work on god-damned windows ever again.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.