From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Solaris (was Re: Windows 2000 etc.)
Date: 17 Apr 2000 21:10:21 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bart Oldeman wrote:

>> > I dont hate linux, I use it at home and at work in great capacity...:)
>> >
>> > I like solaris ALOT more, and well...macs have always been close to my heart.
>>
>> I assume you're talking about its technical merits. I merely dislike
>> solaris because of its default setup (of course a friendly sysadmin can
>> change that, but you have to depend on this).
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> I log in on a solaris box for the first time and get dumped in csh:
>>
>> host% ls --color

Color LS is not a Unix thing by default.

>> ls: illegal option -- -
>> usage: ls -1RaAdCxmnlogrtucpFbqisfL [files]
>> host% tar xzvf foo.tar.gz

Solaris does not come with GNU tar, not being a GNU operating system. :)

>> tar: z: unknown option
>> Usage: tar {txruc}[vfbFXhiBEelmopwnq[0-7]] [-k size] [tapefile]
>> [blocksize] [exclude-file] [-I include-file] files ...
>> host% locate file

Solaris does not come with GNU find utilities, not being a GNU
operating system.

>> locate: Command not found
>>
>> i press the up arrow to get my last command back:
>>
>> host% ^[[A

Thats because your default shell is probably Korn, not bash.  It
is worth everyones while to learn the ins and outs of a few shells
so that one does not find one's self limited by unix flavor.

>> Tab doesn't work either.

Tab-completion does not work in csh or korn naturally.

>> Now why does Sun give you such an awful system by default?

Because its UNIX, not linux.  Welcome to a small part of the
difference.

>> Or have they
>> finally changed that in the newest version?

No, they havent made GNU (Gnu is Not Unix, ironically) an intrinsic
part of the latest version.  They have no reason to, seeing as
how they arent shipping linux.

> Couldnt it be that youre just "Linux centric" ?  :-)

There ya go...:)

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: jansens_at_ibm_dot_net (Karel Jansens)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Become a Windows Registry Expert!
Date: 17 Apr 2000 22:19:35 GMT

"Tim Mayer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Waddayamean? There's nothing more natural than hitting [F7 - N - Y] to
> > end an application, or [SHIFT+F7 - 7] to print a document. Toddlers
> > learn this in kintergarten, chimpansees instinctively push their
> > fingers in similar patterns, bacteria have been found with those key
> > combinations hard-coded into their DNA.
> >
> > WordPerfect's user interface is modeled after the universe itself.
> >

> Sorry! I forgot to update my research regarding the correlation between
> human and fruit fly genetic information published by Celera and the
> key-combinations developed by WordPerfect. I always wondered why I
> instinctively felt the need to hit [F7 - N - Y] every time I ran
> WordPerfect. ;-)

Apostate! Begone with thee!

(Seriously: you don't like WordPerfect? I see it as one of the most
capable wp's in the field today. The old interface was indeed somewhat
- clunky, but once learned, it stays with you forever. And these days
you can choose your own interface with WordPerfect or, indeed, make a
new one)

Karel Jansens
jansens_at_attglobal_dot_net
CIA-bait:

Saddam Hussein Iraq Iran hijack assasinate CIA plutonium
President of the United States thermonuclear device
Windows weapons FBI biohazard Microsoft uranium
submarine kill timer explosives

Have a nice day, guys!

From: jansens_at_ibm_dot_net (Karel Jansens)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 17 Apr 2000 22:19:46 GMT

George Graves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >George Graves wrote:
> >>
> >> Don't worry, I won't. I have learned that the only thing that Apple
> >> could ever do to please Wintrolls who post on CSMA is to roll over,
> >> belly-up and die. With Apple gone, they wouldn't have that little
> >> nagging voice in their head that keeps saying "did I choose the wrong
> >> platform?" Because with no Apple, there would be only ONE platform and
> >> the Wintrolls could sleep secure in their beds with no nasty Apple
> >> confusing them with that pesky Macintosh.
> >
> >A common misconception.  PC owners are becoming increasingly aware that
> >there
> >are alternatives to MS based products, thus there are far for than "one"
> >platform available.
>
> With what, pray tell, to run on them?
> --
To paraphrase Terry Pratchett: If you ever meet a person who will
actually, genuinely use expressions like "pray tell" in a
conversation, don't bother to look over your shoulder, just run
away as fast as you can.

From: Robert Morelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:Netscape engineers are weenies
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 03:36:15 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> From: http://www.securityfocus.com/commentary/19
> Wide Open Source
> Is Open Source really more secure than closed? Elias Levy says there's a
> little security in obscurity.
> By Elias Levy April 16, 2000 11:59 PM PST
>
> One of the great rallying cries from the Open Source community is the
> assertion that Open Source Software (OSS) is, by its very nature, less
> likely to contain security vulnerabilities, including back doors, than
> closed source software. The reality is far more complex and nuanced.
<snip>

What a pathetic attempt to divert attention from one of the most disgraceful
episodes in Microsoft's long history of neglect of security.

This article is load of garbage.  While the title and opening paragraph
promise that it will favorably compare closed source to open source,
it actually never does so.  The only evidence it presents is an anecdote
based on a *closed source* system whose code was made available to the
closed universe of its customers.  Beyond that,  the author meanders with
bland assertions and points out the obvious and irrelevant fact that,  while
open source becomes increasingly secure over time,  it is not guaranteed at
any given time to be completely secure.  All such assertions are pointless
unless they are compared to comparable closed source situations.  With as
much logical validity,  I could argue that "eating a balanced diet,  wearing
a seat belt,  and quitting smoking don't improve life expectancy."  Without
controlled studies and scientific reasoning,  I could just meander around
like this author,  stating anecdotes and irrelevancies,  and conclude by
declaring success in proving my point.

I do think the author deserves high marks for the following:

Stating a provocative thesis:  A
Disguising the absense of supporting evidence:  A
Stating the obvious:  A
Distracting the reader with irrelevancy:  A
Grabbing free publicity:  A

On the most important issue of the day,  though,  I must give a lower assessment:

Addressing "Netscape engineers are weenies." issue:  F (never mentioned)

------------------------------

From: The Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Steve At The Crossroads -was- Mandrake is listening! It's "Da Bomb"!
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:41:36 GMT

All right I fess up you caught me :) but my motives were sincere. If I
had posted under Heather/Steve nobody would have taken the review
seriously and that was something I wanted to avoid. Mandrake has done
a great job with this distribution and evidently it appears they are
looking at this group because I just stumbled upon a page on their
site that reads my complaints with other distributions like a book.
Simply put they have addressed issues that are important to Windows
users and can lead to a lot of frustration and yes even the typical
"Linux Sucks" post.

Take a look at:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/generalfeat.php3

and tell me that this isn't the typical anti-Linux rant.
True-type fonts, SbLive,themes,automounted drives etc.

Mandrake figured out how to provide a distribution that addresses some
of the newbie frustrations and henceforth avoids some of the Linux
sucks comments.

Sure jedi knows how to find his Win partitions or CDrom from Linux,
but putting a nice icon on the desktop makes it even easier for the
newbie.

My previous reviews of distributions were serious also and in fact
they have been quoted many times on the net and were done in a
sincere, logical manner. You will also note that they as a group were
quite positive and pretty much on the money. Unlike others who bash
Linux I actually tried each one and again they were just from an
install configuration, not usage, point of view.

Each one of them started to crumble, at least for me, when trying to
actually use them. Everything from aborted paths in the source tree
(Corel) to missing libs (Redhat/TurboLinux) that would not allow
applications I wanted to use to run (ie:pan/Sblive). There always
seemed to be a "gotcha" no matter what distribution I tried and while
others may be willing to jump through hoops to make things work I
could not see why some bright Linux company couldn't set things up to
work from day one.

After using Redhat I had to wonder if they ever even tested their own
distribution. They always seem to have things screwed up, especially
paths.

Despite what others have said I have NEVER gotten Agent to run
reliably under Wine till now. And I still see others having problems
despite it running perfectly for me now so I know how they feel.

See below for point by point comments:

On 17 Apr 2000 20:53:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk) wrote:

>Well, Steve/Heather, this is a nice intelligent review of
>Mandrake 7.0 you've written.  But you posted it under a new
>throwaway identity (hepcat_1960) that you started using
>3 days ago (in violation of ATT Worldnet's TOS), and you
>included a header that prevents it from being saved in
>DejaNews (where it has already disappeared).  You used the
>same no-save header for some, but not all, of the other
>articles you've posted under the new ID -- the ones that
>are particularly pro-Linux.  (The entire Mandrake 7.0
>review article, with all headers, is included below; the
>no-save header is altered to make sure that *this* article
>will remain available in DN.)

I'm not sure how I did that? i had to install Agent from scratch to
use under wine because it didn't recognize my data directory. I wish I
new about that feature, what ever it may be long ago.

As far as ATT TOS, if you have any pull, maybe you can get an answer
as to why i get SPAM, mostly from .worldnet accounts within minutes of
creating an address. Others are screaming about this, as well as major
spamming of porn in newsgroups. I spoke to them about multiple id's
and they said while they "suggest" real names it is not required and
only in the case of high level spamming and obvious malicious (like a
direct threats) they really don't care one way or the other.

>So, "Steve", it seems you want to be able to deny that you
>wrote this very pro-Linux article, and you want to prevent
>people from accessing it in the future, but you are not
>trying to prevent people (including your ISP) from accessing
>*all* hepcat_1960 posts.

See above.

>This appears to indicate that you want to keep the option
>open to continue your flood of lying, sneering, anti-Linux
>propaganda articles under the "Steve/Heather" identity (and
>perhaps others).

You won't see any lying articles from me one way or the other. I
always post facts. When someone says for example SBLive works under
Linux, I insert the missing parts, included software, or ability to
use all synths, soundfonts etc for example.

It works for the most part under ManDrake.

>I would like to suggest an alternative -- that you admit you
>posted this review, repost it under your normal ID, without
>preventing it from being archived in DejaNews, and start
>being the honest, creative, and contributing person that you
>have the capability to be.  I think most people will forgive
>your previous dishonesty if you really put it behind you and
>totally stop doing it.

I already did, and in fact really didn't hide anything. The email
address is real and in fact if you substitute @worldnet.att.net you
will also get a real email account.

If I wanted to spam the group with crap it would be real easy with
multiple free ISP accounts dialing up all over the country. Very easy
to do. I don't have the time, nor the money to do that and what's the
point.

>If you decide to do this -- to be *real* -- you'll find that
>it's a lot more enjoyable, at a much deeper and more conscious
>level, than being an obnoxious lying clown in public.  You'll
>feel much better about yourself, and you'll be able to be in
>touch with other people without being ashamed of your actions.

You've hit a nerve here :(

>Apply your intelligence and spirit in positive and helpful
>ways, so that you'll be welcome among the creative and
>mutually supportive people of the world.  Of course, *this*,
>hepcat_1960, is what the alternative, consciousness-raising,
>partnership culture movement of the 1960's is all about.

Agreed.

>Come on, Steve: let yourself be a real human being!
>
>  Mark

Ok it's a deal.

Sincerely,

Steve

aka TheCat

From: "Keith T. Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: We need a new subject was (Re: You anti-Microsoft types just don't get
it, do you?)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:44:51 -0400

Actually Max, the debate was on copyright limitations in general, not
whether or not Microsoft steals.

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Quoting Keith T. Williams from alt.destroy.microsoft; Sun, 16 Apr 2000
> 10:24:12 -0400
> >All that you have said is very true, and you are correct, that there is
no
> >"right" to earn a profit, however, all I was suggesting was that if you
> >labour, you deserve to receive something in exchange for that, (whether
cash
> >or kudos) and that to take the product of another persons labour with
> >recompense is wrong. (Exodus 20 "Thou shalt not steal" and "Thou shalt
not
> >covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife,
nor
> >his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any
thing
> >that is thy neighbour's." )
> >
> >And since this is an anti-Microsoft NG, and since the feelings which are
> >expressed in here are rarely "good" Christian feelings <S>, perhaps we
> >should stop the biblical discussions.  Have a good one.
>
> As so often happens with discussions concerning morality, the "religious"
side
> is engaging in the wrong argument.  Nobody here that I have ever heard of
> believes it is OK to "take the product of another persons labour with[out]
> recompense".  EVERYBODY believes that's wrong.
>
> The debate is on whether it is Microsoft that is taking the product of
> another's labor, by controlling the PC market, and potentially whether
> software as we know it is validly considered intellectual property.  Bear
in
> mind that the common persons' understanding about what precisely software
is,
> how it works, and what they're buying is not necessarily adequate for
> discussing that issue.  In fact, that very sentiment is a profound
indictment
> of Microsoft's own "unChristian actions" in defrauding their customers.
Is

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Linux User Question
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:54:27 GMT

Tobias Adrianse wrote:

> Thank you all for your input.  Hearing more good then bad has given me more
> confidence in this decision.  I appreciate Charlie and Donovan's input.  I
> think the best thing for me to do would be to run 98 and Linux parrallel
> until I wean myself off altogether.
>
> Whats the best version Charlie?  There seems to be so many.  I heard red hat
> was good but these other posts suggest some I have never heard of.

Okay Tobias.  Sorry for calling your Adrianse earlier.

Well let me see.  Let me give you my perspective here.

I started off with SLACKWARE.  They still make slackware.  It's the
MOST DIFFICULT TO USE,
but I was ready for it, been a Programmer Analyst for 12 years then,,, so
I went that route.

I do not recommend Slackware to you.

Then I took a spin on RedHat.  RedHat was our CHEVY.  It works.  I'd say 85% of
it was
trouble free.  It's the most popular brand out there.

Mandrake 7.0 is like stepping into the Pontiac Firebird of RedHat
distributions.
Better put-to-gether than RedHat.  Extremely EASY to install!  The boxed
version
will run you $90....  Not cheap!

Suse 6.4 is a german distribution.  They have 6 CD's in their box for $35.
That's 2 more CD's
than Mandrake has.  It's probably the BEST of the distributions in my opinion.
And I want you
to take my opinion to heart here.

Caldera 2.4 OPENLINUX in a box is also about $35.  You only get one CD however.

This one was made for BUSINESS folks who did mass E-mail add's and liked to
maintain
their own WEB SERVERS for retail purposes.  This one is probably not for you.

Debian!  What can I say about Debian.  I use it.  It's the 18 wheeler of the
distributions.
The workhorse.  Not very pretty.  Not flashy.  But if you have to move a
mountain of data
somewhere overnight or build a space shuttle, Debian would be the one to
choose.
Not a gamers paradise this debian.

Suse 6.4 is what I recommend to you.  For the price you get the MOST.
And it's MY OWN OPINION that it runs the BEST of all the distributions and
it's the EASIEST to install also.

Tobias.  That's my advice to you.  I wish I had started off with Suse when I
began but they
didn't exist then.  Actually I think you will find Suse 6.4 will make Windows
98 look like
TONKA TOYS.  It should impress you my friend.

Write me if you need me for anything.

Take care.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bastian)
Subject: Re: !!!Bluemountain -PRIVACY ALERT!!  7124
Date: 17 Apr 2000 21:54:02 GMT

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:21:36 -0400, Rich C wrote:
> [snip]
>
>Considering the fact that cookies in and of themselves are NOT a security
>risk, and considering the fact that if you were REALLY concerned about
>security, you would just turn off cookies completely, this is a piss-poor
>excuse to spam this newsgroup.

Actually it is a piss-poor excuse to spam *all* NGs I pull news from (like
7 different ones!), because the same stupid post appeared in all of them.

Bastian