Linux-Advocacy Digest #174, Volume #32           Tue, 13 Feb 01 16:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: and none of it is done with windows (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Indrema fan site (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
  Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Downgrading to Mandrake 7.2 - did Linux become a windoze clone? (Karl Misselt)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: and none of it is done with windows (.)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux fails to deliver on the hype (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux fails to deliver on the hype (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux fails to deliver on the hype (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux fails to deliver on the hype (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Answer this if you can... (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: KDE Whiners (Mig)
  Re: Windows vs. Unix printer model (Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!) (David Steinberg)

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: and none of it is done with windows
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:16:05 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease48.html

Have you actually seen what they've done to Deja's archive? And you're
proud that none of this is done with Windows?

--
---
Pete Goodwin, running Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:18:56 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > You've had your proof. Now, you could be gracious about it and concede,
> > or you could be a complete prick and continue as you are.
>
> Concede what?  I forgot what we were arguing about.  Reminders are due.

Oh blimey I forget too. What day is it?

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:19:55 +0000

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> >That's in direct contradiction to everything else I've seen posted here
> >about the majority of computer users. I see, you adjust your stance
> >accordinging. Not very convincing, I must say.
>
> Bullshit; you made it up, to support your prejudice.

No I didn't. Go read a few articles here and see what the prevailing
attitute towards the majority of desktop users is.

--
---

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:17:18 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Stuart Krivis wrote:

> > >He's a WET sock puppet.
> >
> > That's .NET sock puppet. :-)
> >
> That's MISTER .NET sock puppet to, sonny. :-)

Ok. MISTER .WET sock puppet.

> -
> A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:18:27 -0500

Tim wrote:

> Todd wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > They can't manage 20 lines without writing "goto" somewhere.
> >
> > If you've every programmed assembly language, you would know that goto is
> > the norm.
> >

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive much of the MS
> OS/applications
> were in fact written in assembly code.

And what relevance does this have to source code written in C?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Indrema fan site
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:19:03 -0500

William Kendrick wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
> : Get a life.
> <~35 line signature snipped>
>
> Why are you being so negative?

Proper precautions against the various guttersnipe hooligans listed
below.

> -bill!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:19:49 GMT

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:37:29 -0500, Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Peter Hayes wrote:
>>

>> You obviously have no idea how much a video editor can create in 15 minutes
>> when on a roll. You suddenly see exactly how a scene should be cut, it
>> takes only a few minutes to assemble it to the point where you know it's as
>> good as it'll ever be, then  **SPLAT**  the Mac seizes solid. and you just
>> know you've lost all that work, and worse, you know you'll never be able to
>> recreate it. But if you're not an editor you'll not understand.
>
>How does Windows/Linux/StudlyOS prevent your apps from crashing?  When
>the app crashes, you lose the same amount of work whether or not the OS
>goes down too.

A properly working OS will prevent the crashing app from corrupting the
rest of the system.

--

Remove 'wakawaka' and 'invalid' to e-mail me.  You can thank spammers for this
inconvenience.

I didn't do it!  Nobody saw anything!  You can't prove anything! -- bart

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:19:48 -0500

"Paul 'Z' EwandeŽ" wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> <SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
>
> > Behold...the "intuitive"  interface.
>
> As "intuitive" as the CLI that prompted this subthread.
>
> > makes stty seem positively simple.
>
> One should know that what's "intuitive" or "positively simple" is what one
> is used to.

stty is documented.
LoseDOS registry isn't.

Spot the difference.

> Not that you would care, but TweakUI is an "intuitive" interface to enable
> the tab completion in the CLI which isn't inherently an "intuitive"
> interface.
>
> Paul 'Z' Ewande

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:22:53 +0000

Edward Rosten wrote:

> Read the question. It says how do you print a PS file to a PS printer.
> Answer: resort to command line commmands. No happypointyclicky intertface
> there.
>
> Oh, and All Distros i know automatically set up GS on the print filters
> to turn non-ps printers in to PS ones.

Sorry, missed the postscript file bit.

There is an application that lets you dump files raw to printers. It's a
GUI application that supports drag and drop.

--
---

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:20:17 -0500

"Paul 'Z' EwandeŽ" wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> <SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
>
> > > How does Windows/Linux/StudlyOS prevent your apps from crashing?  When
> > > the app crashes, you lose the same amount of work whether or not the OS
> > > goes down too.
> >
> > Another strike against Windows....
> > Too many OS deadlocks which cause apps to crash.
>
> As if apps didn't crash under Linux/UNIX.

Not due to kernel level deadlocks, no.

> Paul 'Z' Ewande

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:23:42 +0000

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> If by "what I did before" you mean spanking poser trolls, you are
> correct; that will never change.

No, that's not it.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:24:11 +0000

J Sloan wrote:

> Nope, RH 7 has no resierfs and no lvm.
>
> I'm seriously going to try out SuSE 7.1

I have to wait until the 19th here in the UK.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:28:17 +0000

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> >I tried installing it once. My machine hung.
>
> Well, it doesn't sound like your very serious about your quest for a
> better OS, then.  If everybody rejected anything they had a single
> problem with, nobody would be using Windows.

When a product hangs your system, then what else is there to do? Especially
since the hang occured during installation.

I suppose I could have gone a-hunting on the Internet, or sought some
advice, but it was mere curiousity that made me try it, and when it didn't
work, I moved on.

Oh yeah, I tried OS-Warp, not OS2.

> >I don't think it had anything to do with being "open". After all, what
> >took over wasn't open, but a closed propietary system called Windows.
>
> No, what "took over" was a criminal monopoly.  Pretending that it was
> the Windows product which was responsible for that monopoly is
> brain-dead.

Which Windows product? Windows 95 and beyond have been reasonable.

> So apparently stability is not your goal, either, then.  Is *anything*
> you say to be trusted?

Twisting everything as usual. Is that your goal, to tweak until it bends
out of all recognition?

--
---

From: Karl Misselt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Downgrading to Mandrake 7.2 - did Linux become a windoze clone?
Date: 13 Feb 2001 15:25:02 -0500

Zsolt Zsoldos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Just FYI, finally I received a reply from Mandrakesoft support,
> where I submitted my problem on Sunday (as I had an 'official' copy):
>
> > The upgrade does not run to the 7.2 version.
> >
> > The complete version is designed for newbies.
> > In this way this is a light version.
> > The powerpack is fully designed to your needs,
> > not the complete.
> >

> > Best regards
> >
> > Mandrakesoft Support Team
>
> This seems to agree with most of the reply posts in this thread, so I
> can conclude, that everything was fine and working 'as advertised'.
> The only problem was my misunderstanding of the English language...
>
> DEFINITION:
> complete = light version, designed for newbies
>            (in other words: half of the packages are missing)
>
> OK, I got it now!
>
> --
> Zsolt Zsoldos

Well the warning on their page about "no developer tools" in the
"complete" (pretty stupid name for a 'light' version...) warned
me off of getting that package.  However, I was wondering if anyone
knows what one loses by getting the free download package or odering
the 'free' cd's from cheapbytes.com.  It appears as the compilers
and libraries are included in the download version.  But what elements
of the distro (ie. powerpack package) are missing? I'm leaning towards
mandrake for a new laptop, but given the recent discusions here
lately, I'm thinking about Debian or maybe downloading both and
testing them out.  I've installed various versions of Solaris on a
variety of Sun machines as well as installed and maintained software
for those machines, so I'm not too worried about having lots of trouble
with any flavor of linux, but I'd rather not waste a few days
tracking down various packages/drivers etc.  So I need working
c/c++/fortran compilers at the minimum.  My basic question with
distros boils down to: Do all the free download versions contain
compilers and working libraries and what would one gain by spending
$70 on the powerpack 7.2 distro of mandrake?

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:31:58 +0000

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> I "got it right".  As a mindless Windows idiot, you didn't look at the
> dialog you were clicking OK in, and realize that Gimp uses raw mode by
> default.

Like I said, as a reasonable person, I assumed the default would be to use
the system wide settings. Nothing on the dialog indicates what printer
you're about to use _unless_ you click on the button marked Setup - which,
as a reasonably minded person, I thought had already been done.

Sorry, but you can't twist this one to fit the way you want it to appear.

--
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 13 Feb 2001 20:29:31 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease48.html

> Have you actually seen what they've done to Deja's archive? And you're
> proud that none of this is done with Windows?

You are not to respond to any more of my posts, pete, because you
are too much of a gigantic fucking moron.

Just this last time, ill explain it to you.

Google is right smack dab in the middle of implementing all of the
stuff that deja used to have, plus bringing back on online the
archive that goes to 1995.  Apparantly most of it will be completed
in the next 8 weeks.

Please do not respond to anything I type ever again.

=====.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:33:16 +0000

Mig wrote:

> Face it Pete... you cannot save yourself out of this one. You made a
> beginners error and are stuck with it !!

I made a reasonable assumption and descovered Linux doesn't follow those
rules. I'd hardly call that a "beginner's error".

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:38:02 +0000

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> >When have I lied? I've just demonstrated to someone else who called me a
> >liar that I'm not. Care to demonstrate how I'm lying here? Difficult,
> >since other people have found exactly what I've been pointing out.
>
> It isn't whether its there, but how you describe it, that reveals that
> what you would like to believe is the truth is actually a fabrication.

Answer the question: when have I lied? Your twisty response are becoming
very transparent.

> >So every application needs a test page.
>
> No.

Yes. How else can I tell if an application is going to follow a reasonable
assumption or not?

> >How dumb. On Windows I print
> >_one_ test page, and it works.
>
> Well, the test page does, sure.

Correct.

>  It worked on Linux, too.

Again correct.

>  As did printing, if you do it correctly.

As a reasonable person, I would assume printing a test page once on a
system meant it was correctly configured. Now I find one application
doesn't. That could mean more don't. Oh dear, now I have to assume my
setting up a printer was a waste of time.

Doesn't this seem the least bit wrong to you? Aren't I getting this through
to you yet?

> But you don't need to cross your fingers EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PRINT, as
> most users with Windows do.  You have to use the correct application
> settings to get the print to work correctly in every application, be it
> Windows or Linux, of course.

I've not come across that with Windows. I've come across this with The Gimp
and Linux.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux fails to deliver on the hype
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:40:00 +0000

Tim Hanson wrote:

> As a happy SuSE user I can tell you their distribution is plenty
> friendly to casual users, and has gotten more so with the last two
> versions.  They haven't marketed well in the United States, in my
> opinion.
>
> SuSE's strengths are meticulous care in testing and tweaking, their
> install/admin program (YaST and YaST2), and brute force bang for the
> buck.  No other distribution even comes close to the sheer volume of
> software included with each version, all of it tested.

Sounds like they do a better job than Mandrake. You know, I reinstalled
Linux again recently (I keep doing this to shake out the bugs), and guess
what? The USB Hub is now working! The lights are on!

Sheesh!

Roll on the 19th (when SuSE release 7.1 in the UK).

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:40:53 +0000

sfcybear wrote:

> Yeah, And Bush won the popular vote, right? And you wonder why no one
> believes what you say.

No one believes what I say because I admit to (barely) liking Windows.
That's the reason.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:43:01 +0000

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> >I was not gloating over the loss of
> >30 peoples jobs. I still do not see how that connection was made, and
> >your explanation sheds no light on it at all.
>
> Perhaps you don't understand the idea of passive-aggressive behavior.
> Do some research.  More casually, you might consider the concepts
> "smarmy", "condescending", and "smart-ass".

Irrelevant.

I do not see anything that I posted as "gloating" over the loss of 30 jobs.
Your explaination still sheds no light on this one.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:43:53 +0000

sfcybear wrote:

> Not with me, you earned your standing as unbievable with the trollish
> way you post.

I thought it was much simpler than that.

"He's a Windows supporter, therefore anything he says is a lie."

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Answer this if you can...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:50:52 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Which is based on FreeBSD? Is that right?
>
> Wrong.  All other MacOSen besides MacX arent based on anything; theyre
> their own form.

Yeah, I knew that.

> MacX is based on the BSD 4.4 kernel, which is also what FreeBSD is
> based on.  But MacX is NOT based on Freebsd.

Ok, I'm sorry. I thought it was FreeBSD.

--
---

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Whiners
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:47:20 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:

> It looks to me like simple competition, which _always_ benefits the
> consumer.

BS..... This is about KDE<->Ximian and not Gnome<->KDE.

Ximian is a commercial entity that uses dirty tricks to sell their products
- its as simple as that.
--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: Windows vs. Unix printer model (Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!)
Date: 13 Feb 2001 20:55:37 GMT

Donn Miller ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: device file.  It's a sad irony that you have to write a C program to do
: something on Windows which doesn't require a hack on unix!  This is just
: the opposite of how you stereotype Windows + Linux, you know, Linux is a
: hacker's OS, Windows doesn't require hacking, etc.

And it's a very ugly hack, since it requires you to bypass the
spooler.  What if someone is trying to use your printer via the network?

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \