From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:07:49 GMT

"Curtis" <alliem@kas*spam*net.com> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > When you have effectively disabled the ability of certain files being
> > > executable via the e-mail clients interface you have created a brick
> > > wall. It's you who are proposing erecting a brick wall. :-)
> >
> > No, I have no problem with letting the user choose to run anything
> > he wants, as long as it is really his choice.
>
> When you double click a file in Windows, you've chosen to execute it with
> the associated application.

In outlook email if you do the same, you are executing it with the
application
the sender wanted to be associated, not any choice that you have
made.

> Let's get one thing straight. If Outlook
> Express actually proceeds to execute the file by merely selecting it
> (single click) then that's very bad.

It does pop up a warning about how this .txt and that .png can
harm your system.   And if you ignore those, you will probable
ignore the real dangerous ones for consistency.

> >  For example if you
> > want to type in the name of your program to run, or drag the
> > attachment to a program on the desktop, go ahead.  What needs
> > to be disabled is the auto-executing something chosen by the
> > sender instead.
>
> Well, if a program is auto-executed that's bad. I'm not sure what you
> mean by auto-execution though. If you mean that once the message is open
> the attachment does it's thing then that's bad. If you mean that the user
> deliberately chooses to run the file and the associated application is
> started as determined by the extension, then I disagree.

Then you think it is correct that the sender should chose what happens
when you open instead of the recipient?   And you continue to think
that knowing all the trouble it has caused?

> > > .... if the user chooses to executes it   or(white line)  not execute
it

> > No - the lines should distinguish *what* you are going to execute.
> > Dragging the attachment to a program is going over the white line,
> > but that is your business if you crash.
>
> I see no difference. I set my file associations so that I don't need to
> be dragging and dropping.

Then you always assume the sender's choice is good for you?  Why?
If you didn't name the attachment, this isn't something you chose.

> > > Concrete wall.
> >
> > There is a blind drop off a cliff here.  It deserves a brick
> > wall.
>
> :-) At least you concede that you're the one erecting the wall and not
> me. Bad!! You'll make Windows unfriendly to those who are competent and
> the ignorant will remain ignorant forever.

Keeping you from knowing what is about to happen is not friendly.
Doing what the sender chose instead of the recipient is not friendly.
The wall does not prevent any choice you might make, it is to
keep someone else's choice from being the wrong one for you.

> > Then you should learn that everything you suggest is very
> > system-specific and not generally useful knowlege.  It has
> > nothing to do with computing in general and is just arbitrary
> > associations chosen by one vendor.
>
> How so. Are you speaking only about .vbs files? If so, then we're on the
> wrong track. I'm speaking about all file types that may be obtained
> through e-mail attachments.

Yes, that is what I meant.  While it is unlikely that other systems
would have (or want) any .vbs files, other types are usable
across platforms and on other systems may not have the
names you think control their actions.

> Windows associations default to certain apps
> depending on what's installed. However, the user pretty much has full
> control over file associations via folder options.
>
> I fail to see how my argument is system specific.

That is pretty scary...   Nothing but windows does that, and
in email the content type is specified by MIME headers which
are a cross-platform standard.

> >  It is like advocating that
> > people learn to drive only one peculiar kind of car.
>
> You're misunderstanding me.

No, I don't think so.  Everything you have mentioned
so far is incredibly platform-specific.

> > Why don't you advocate systems that don't impose this sort of problem
> > on you in the first place?
>
> Because running away from a harsh reality by masking it from users will
> not help one bit. Masking this sort of thing from the user is a fix, not
> good prevention. Good prevention comes from lifting the veil of ignorance
> which I still maintain, is not that difficult a task. If my Dad and
> sisters can get it, so can everyone else.

You can't see that this 'harsh reality' is caused by a bad design in
the first place?   It shouldn't be masked, it shouldn't exist in the
first place.  Email attachments are not the same as desktop files.
It is the pretense that they are that causes the problem in the first
place.  Drop the pretense and the problem goes away.

> People will always be exchanging files. Having to name the file will
> always be necessary. Having to know what type of file it is will also
> always be necessary whether it be done through icons or extensions. I
> don't see how this can or should be hidden from a user that exchanges e-
> mail and attachments.

People rarely need to exchange programs that run when you open them.
Maybe never... Getting something that does execute should be noted
as something different than a text file or image.   This isn't impossible
for the computer to do for you, unless you start with the wrong model.

> >  It makes no sense to talk about consistency
> > in handling file object and email attachments.  They are inherently
> > different things until you have examined them and blessed them with
> > the right to be in the filesystem.
>
> If you don't know what to look for when viewing these files 'unsafe'
> files, how are you going to bless them as being safe. Don't you have to
> !!learn!! what to look for when viewing them??

No, the MIME types tell what data type is enclosed and the mailer
should use a safe handler for that type or warn you that there is
no safe handler.

> Why is that so easy to do
> in your books and yet learning a few danger file types is so difficult?

This is something the mailer should do for you, and it shouldn't
allow its handlers to be changed accidentally as a side effect of
 installing a new program.

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disapointed in the election
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:09:24 GMT

"Matthias Warkus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It was the Thu, 09 Nov 2000 06:41:33 GMT...
> ...and Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Javaduke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8ucudo$ktr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > What I donot understand is all the wankers who stand out side
listening to
> > > al gore and bush crap on and on, then, chear and woohoo about it.  Go
> > > anyother country and most voters would simply vote, and thats it!
Fuck,
> > look
> > > at Russia, no big parades and crap, people just simply voted! end of
> > story.
> > >
> > > javaduke
> >
> > A Russian friend once explained: "Vote? Of course I voted. It was
illegal
> > not to vote. The party official would want to know why you didn't vote,
and
> > you'd be in even more trouble. So, we voted. There was only one choice,
so
> > we voted for him. So we wouldn't get in trouble."
>
> Um, there's a difference between Russia and the Soviet Union.
> *Especially* between Russia today and the Soviet Union twenty years
> ago.

<snip>

But certainly you're not arguing that there was no Russia or Russians
during the years of the Soviet Empire?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:15:30 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:CW5P5.18682$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8uipuq$o9i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > > Ext2 has no more problems that NTFS - less if you ever let an
> > > NTFS fill with tiny files.
> >
> > Fixed.
>
> When, and what do you have to do to old systems?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q196/0/71.asp (NT
3.5,3.51,4.0)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q120/3/63.ASP (NT 3.1 only)

I *think* that this might be the problem.
Took some time to find as I didn't know anything spesfic about this problem.
Does this sound about right?

> > > NT has been under development for years.  Have you warned
> > > people away from using it?
> >
> > One problem I've with OSS model is that it's always under development.
> > I don't know about you, but I think that at some point (check topic)
> someone
> > has to say "This is as much as we are going to put into this version.
From
> > now on, we will only pull out the bugs."
>
> What is wrong with getting something right?

You never get it completely right?
You never stop development to clean your code thoroughfully.

> > Check Netscape & Mozilla, for example, that is a good example of how I
> think
> > it should be done. (The theory, it's good.  In practice, however, and
the
> > way netscape did it...)
>
> The split was necessary to remove the licensed third party components
> that couldn't be released as open source.  StarOffice/OpenOffice will
> have the same cutover, but after that they will probably both just
> continue to evolve through release points.

That wasn't what I'm talking about, Netscape branched off Mozilla right now,
fixing & optimizing the code and getting it ready to commercial release
state.
Any time that they will be a Netscape release, they will branch off
temporarily, getting the code to

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:07:41 GMT

"Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uij0g$a2s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>

> > I'd put it even more strongly than that.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to use
> > Oracle on Linux for >2GB databases on *any* file system, on
> > *any* 32-bit machine, without a recompile using the above options
>

> Pardon me - and I mean this in the gentlest manner - but aren't
> you being just a bit dense, in this instance? Properly concieved
> dbm systems support constructs analogous to Oracle's dbspaces
> and tablespaces, effectively rendering database & table sizes
> independent of machine architecture or OS constraints.
>

> > Note that two relative seeks should accomplish what one absolute seek
> > cannot, but extending this for files that could be as huge as
> > 20 gigabytes -- or 200 gigabytes -- or 200 terabytes! -- becomes
> > a royal pain.
>

> Why are so many of you hung up about filesizes when the
> comment being discussed had to do with database sizes? A database
> is not a file.

When you create a tablespace in Oracle, is not the syntax:

CREATE TABLESPACE <tablespace name>
DATAFILE '<path to data file>'....

What, exactly is the "datafile" if not a file, then?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Can you love a platform without being a bigot?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:49:33 GMT

Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uicl5$b7i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8ui682$mn8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy James Stapleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > : In the end the whole argument comes to this: People hate people who
have
> > : more. Why? Because if someone is more powerfull then they will have
the
> > : potential to control you. This stems from earlier times when such
powers
> > : were much more common. The solution? Destroy that which is most
> powerfull by
> > : supporting "underdogs". Eventually, and underdog becomes a top dog.
Now
> in 9
> > : of 10 cases of this, I'll let you guess who the guns are pointing at
at
> that
> > : point.
> >
> > While it is true that the jealousy can be *a* source of hate, it is
> > a logical fallacy to say that anyone who hates is doing so out of
> > jealousy.  It's the classic fallacy:
> >    "all A's are B's, C is a B, therefore C is an A"
>
> "all A's are B's, C is a B, therefore A is an C"
> Perfectly logical statement :)

Not exactly.  Try substituting Apple for A, Fruit for B, and Cherry for C,
and you'll be able to see your mistake more easily:

All Apples (A) are Fruits (B);
A Cherry (C) is a Fruit (B);
Therefore, an Apple (A) is a Cherry (C).

>From the two premises (all A's are B's; C is a B), it is not possible to
infer any relationship between A and C except that they are both members of
the set B, which is not a conclusion at all, of course, since it is a direct
restatement of the premises.  In other words, no information can be deduced
from the premises beyond what is already stated.

Probably what you and the other Winvocate were trying to say was something
like:

All A's are B's;
All B's are C's;
Therefore, all A's are C's.

But I can see how you've become accustomed to drawing invalid conclusions,
what with having to come up with pro-Microsoft arguments and all.  :)

jwb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:46:37 GMT

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:07:41 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|"Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
|news:8uij0g$a2s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
|> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
|>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
|>

|> > I'd put it even more strongly than that.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to use
|> > Oracle on Linux for >2GB databases on *any* file system, on
|> > *any* 32-bit machine, without a recompile using the above options
|>

|> Pardon me - and I mean this in the gentlest manner - but aren't
|> you being just a bit dense, in this instance? Properly concieved
|> dbm systems support constructs analogous to Oracle's dbspaces
|> and tablespaces, effectively rendering database & table sizes
|> independent of machine architecture or OS constraints.
|>

|> > Note that two relative seeks should accomplish what one absolute seek
|> > cannot, but extending this for files that could be as huge as
|> > 20 gigabytes -- or 200 gigabytes -- or 200 terabytes! -- becomes
|> > a royal pain.
|>

|> Why are so many of you hung up about filesizes when the
|> comment being discussed had to do with database sizes? A database
|> is not a file.
|
|When you create a tablespace in Oracle, is not the syntax:
|
|CREATE TABLESPACE <tablespace name>
|DATAFILE '<path to data file>'....
|
|What, exactly is the "datafile" if not a file, then?

And when that file is almost full, you add more tablespace by
telling Oracle about *another* *differnet* *file* that it can use.

At that point, the "datafile" consists of 2 OS files.

Repeat as necessary.

Sorry I can't remember the exact commands involved. I did peer
over our DBA's shoulder while he did this once, but my notes
are at the office.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 06:17:00 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jake Taense wrote:

> > > Aaron - I'm curious. You claim to be a "UNIX Systems Engineer".
> > >
> > > What engineering degree do you possess? Are you, in fact, an engineer?
> > >

> > I attended Purdue University where I studied Computer Systems Engineering,
> > taking 20 credit hours of calculus and differential equations
> > 10 credit hours of physics
> > 10 credit hours of chemistry
> > and about 70 credit hours of electrical engineering.
>
> You were asleep. We can tell.

And since sleep leads to dreaming, and dreaming is a trance state...
and information presented while in a trance state is absorbed,
retained, and incoroporated into one's knowledge BETTER than when
not in a trance state.......this would be a good thing.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 06:17:39 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> Facts which apparantly have not prevented you from acting like one of the
> most stupid and prejudiced people I have ever seen posting to these NGs. I
> guess the .sig really does say it all.

It serves the purpose for which *I* want it to serve.

> --
> Cheers,
>
> Sam
>
> _o/
>  >\

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 06:18:22 -0500

Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

>     Aaron> Proper, secure Windows usage policy: 1. Don't move the
>     Aaron> mouse 2. Don't click the mouse buttons 3. Don't type
>     Aaron> anything on the keyboard.
>
>     Aaron> Any others?
>
> You forgot the screen savers! I've seen thay crashing a Windows :)
>
> cheers,
> Roberto

I have one at home that occassionally crashes on the login screen.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 06:21:30 -0500

Curtis wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote...
> >
> > "Curtis" <alliem@kas*spam*net.com> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Be that as it may, Outlook is not the problem with machines getting
> > > infected with viruses contracted via e-mail. The problem lies between
> > > chair and keyboard. IGNORANCE, STUPIDITY, COMPLACENCY. You name it.
> >
> > But the point of having the computer is so you can do even less.  If the
> > computer ever makes things more difficult for you, get rid of it.
>
> You simply cannot use a computer effectively and safely without first
> learning how to use it.

But Microsoft claimst that THEIR PRODUCTS are "intuitive", and thus,
all of that messy "learning stuff" is no longer necessary.

Since your argument in defense of Microsoft products DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS
one of the foundation-level premises of Microsoft product design,
this defense is null and void by reason of internal contradiction

GAME
SET
MATCH

You LOOOOOOOOSE!

> If you wish to travel a ten mile distance quickly, you drive instead of
> walk. You have to learn to drive to make use of the advantage of having a
> car. Once you learn how to drive, a car makes life easier for you. In
> fact this is a simple generality of life in that you have to learn to use
> the tools that make life easier for you. Why should computers, such
> complex machinery, be an exception?
>
> In this hostile world of people sending viruses and trojans around to
> vandalize others computers, you simply have to LEARN how to keep yourself
> protected.
>
> --
> ACM.
> "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 06:23:59 -0500

Curtis wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote...
> >

> > YOu fucking shit-fo-brains moron....
> >
> > it is precisely BECAUSE MS FAILS TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN "OPENING" AND "RUNNING"
> > that e-mail viruses are so rampant on Microshaft Operlosing Systems.
>
> Actually we do know the difference.
>
> How is joe user going to be able to tell what's what in a perl script
> file when he opens it to view the contents rather than just run it?

Maybe he can understant it,...maybe he can't.

At least he knows it's executable code.
And he has the OPTION of finding someone who can read the code
        before executing it.

> Hmmmm?

So....what you're saying is....because some user's are not able
to properly evaluate scripts....ALL users should be penalized by
having scripts run for them without an opportunity for evaluation.

You write like an 'everybody must suffer equally" communist.

Why is that?

> He therefore has two choices if he is uncertain of the source of the
> script or what it does - the more sensible choice
>
> or
>
> to say 'what the f*ck' and run it (double click it) and wait - the recipe
> to getting an infected system.
>
> --
> ACM.
> "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.