From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 5 Common Mistakes 52645523
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:46:25 -0400

"Mark S. Bilk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e6gi4$9vt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8e5l5p$m7j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> 1. Don't Gamble when tired.
> >> 2. Don't Gamble when hungry.
> >> 3. Don't Gamble when distracted.
> >> 4. Don't Gamble with Money you need.
> >> 5. Once won, the money is yours. You are not playing on free money.
> >> 6. Check out this site!
> >>
> >> http://www.go2jackpots.com/3355
> >>

> >7.  Don't post when drunk.
>
> He's not drunk, he's a scam artist trying to get people to
> go to that website, so that when they get ripped off, he'll
> get a cut for steering them there.  The number in the Subject
> header, and maybe the one in the URL, serve to identify him
> to the website operators; I tried 3355, 3255, and 3055 in the
> URL, and they all lead to the same page.  The operators are
> paying spammers to bring in new suckers.

Here's a thought: If we create a spider to go to the website and download
the page in all possible configurations of ID codes over and over again, the
operators will have to pay out so much money to the spammers, it won't be
worth their while any more and the idea will die out (hopefully.)

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

------------------------------

From: Streamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Terry Porter is an asshole
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:44:29 -0500

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> <snip>
> JETHRO BODINE

I see....you're the son of a 'Beverly Hillbilly'.

=============

You know MSFT is hurting when the investors who lost money suddenly spill
in this newsgroup with their tales of misfortune.

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM DUMPS REDHAT!!!  WhY diD it TaKE them SO lung?
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:01:00 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> EVEN THE GREAT SUITS AT IBM KNOW A LOSER WHEN THEY SEE ONE...
> LINUX IS THAT LOSER.

Maybe they plan to invest in one of the other distros instead. Maybe they
plan to do their own. If you turn off your monitor, adjust the room light
just right, and stare really hard, you will see who the loser is.

> LAMEST PROGRAM I HAVE EVER USED.

What's the coolest? Deer Hunter?

> FREAKING PIECE OF JUNK SCREWED MY ENTIRE SYSTEM UP....

Who told you it was screwed up?

> DON'T USE LINUS OR YOU WILL BE SORRY...

...or Charlie Brown for that matter.....

> YUO HAVE BEEN WARMED..
>
> LINUX SUXXX BIG COCK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stop trying to hump your computer then.

> JETHRO BODINE.

[sigh] Everyone must aspire to something, I guess.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What else is hidden in MS code???
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:06:56 -0500

R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e89f6$jhk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8e5msp$k22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram) wrote:
> > > [cola added]
>
> This is a bit funny considering that there is a 3D video
> game in Excel from Office 95.  If you crack the easter egg,
> you get a display showing names and pictures of the developers.
> Of course this means you must have the Microsoft 3D package
> to load excel.

As usual Rex, you're stating facts that are wrong.  Office 95 was released
nearly 2 years before Direct3D was released.  Excel 95 doesn't need any 3D
package and one is not installed by Office.

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix is dead?
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:03:42 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote on Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:56:58 GMT
> <ewuM4.169129$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> >message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> >> If a user wants the GUI, he should be able to get a usable GUI.
> >> If he wants CLI (side note: CLIs are not what they used to be,
> >> although the mods aren't quite as visible -- but '<TAB>' command
> >> and file completion didn't exist in the 80's).
> >
> >Well, maybe not in Unix, but I used a system in 1984 that had it...
>
> Hm....OK, which system?  :-)
>
> I'll admit, this is interesting (and will teach me to spout off
> generalities like that :-) ).

Sorry the response has taken so long... The system was RTE-A, as I recall -
it's been a LONG time (but, come to think of it, I remember the sixties, so
maybe it wasn't that long). Running on an HP-1000, I think. What I do
remember is that I could hit a key to complete what I was typing. I don't
remember whether it completed commands, or files, or both. As I recall, it
was a pretty nice system, for the time.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux RUINED my PC  LINUX SUCKS!!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:09:03 -0400

"Streamer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:
>
> <nothing at all>
>
> Hi S,
>
> Did you finally get back on the net after being terminated on your ISP?

And he's on smartworld.net to boot. Now there's some serious irony for you!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux Backdoor Password Vulnerability
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:09:59 GMT

In article <o3LN4.69091$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e5ocv$ppl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ah, isn't the world of Linux wonderful?? I don't use Redhat so this
is
> > not an issue for me! This app is not a core Linux app and is only
> > distributed by Redhat. If Redhat continues to ship insecure
software,
> > people will start using the more secure distributions. No
retraining, no
> > redesign, some time switching distributions but that's nothing
compared
> > to what it would take to break MS habit! I LOVE CHOICE! Were will MS
> > users go if MS continues to insert back doors into it's product???
> >

> Except that you forgot to mention that the distro you are using might
have a
> backdoor. Undiscovered at the moment,true, but might be known by
hackers.
> Security companies tend to do testing on the well known platform and
not on
> the flavor of the week.
> Did anyone tested Webmin, similar to LVS from Red Hat, from Caldera?

Then again I am not stuck on GUI's like you GUI-kiddies that are stuck
on MS stuff. I configure my Linux via command line and DO NOT use or
NEED Webmin. I doubt `vi` has a back door.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:45:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:45:21 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>What a fucking dickhead this penis breath is. Is he or she serious?
>
>I guess it's just another lamer LinSHIT user at work.
>
>TERRY IS AN ASSHOSLE....NA nA NANANANNANANNANANNANAN!
>

>YOU LINUX SHITHEADS  SHOULD EXCOMMUNICATE TERRY PORTER FROM THE CULT. HE
>IS MAKING YOU SHITHEADS LOOK EVEN MORE STINKY THAN YOU ARE ALREADY...

Never mind the kettle.  Pot, meet mirror. :-)

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- hmmm...."freewwweb".  Three guesses how much this
                    guy's paying? :-)

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM dumping more shares of RedHat
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:46:43 -0700

"Mark S. Bilk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e879u$786$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

[SNIP]

> The use of Linux all over the world is steadily increasing,
> with great success, while you and CHUD sit here and post
> stupid and nasty lies about it, all of which get torn apart
> instantly, making you look like total idiots.  So who has
> their head up their ass?

Despite everything you just ranted, you do.
--
.-----.
|_..._| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount

------------------------------

From: John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.corel,alt.linux,alt.fan.linux
Subject: Re: Disabled lady needs Linux Corel
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:22:51 -0500

    Someone should have steered you elsewhere.  Corel seems to have some
hardware support problems (check their newsgroups).  I don't understand
what you mean about the security issues.  You think windows is more
secure than linux?  You need to do some more reading.  Any  security
issues with linux are addressed quickly (unlike some other OS's).  You
(and no one else) have no earthly idea what the code looks like for
windows so how would you assume it is secure.  Ask any cracker which is
easier to do, a windows box or a linux box.  I am not trying to start an
OS war but don't troll a disabled lady with uninformed crap.  She was
asking about linux distros and support, not for someone to tell her she
can't figure it out.  And just for reference you don't have to be a
computert expert to set up a linux box (ever tried Mandrake 7?).  I am
very new to computers and it isn't that hard (it is just different  8^)

jt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Subject: Re: which OS is best?
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:59:27 GMT

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:40:57 -0500,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 06:11:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:40:49 -0500,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> brought forth the following words...:

>>>Which do you think is more common - someone who knows what an icon is
>>>and can do basic things with it (like right-click in a given area) or
>>>someone who is already familiar with dir, grep, cat, pico, etc.?
>>

>>If someone is familiar with an icon in windows, then they are also familiar
>>with an icon in linux, Linux does have GUI you know.
>
>I'm familiar with it (or really, some of _them_).  Shall we call it
>Frankenstein?
>
>Helix-modified-Gnome isn't all bad, but it's still a far cry from the
>ease-of-use of Windows/MacOS's GUI.

<rant of the day>

So can someone explain why it is I have to open a pdf file in windows in
order to print it? I mean, under linux, dragging the file to the printer
icon, or typing lpr file.pdf prints it just fine. Why does windows feel
it is neccessary to open it up with adobe acrobat first? It takes a long
time compared to simply dragging it to the printer icon in KDE. I mean,
if I drag it to the printer icon in windows, windows asks me for a file
association, I don't want to open it, just print it.
 Another thing, why is it that windows can't seem to deal with
postscript files, under linux, there's ghost script and the like, all
set up and easy as click to use, from the command line or gui. Sure, I
can go to the effort of grabbing GS and GV for windows, but why doesn't
it come with something similar?

Ymmv, but for me, linux is easier to use, and with the exception of
games, has better and more apps.

Normally I don't use windows except for the occaisional game, but the
company I am consulting for at the moment has windows boxes, (most of
the servers are FreeBSD fortunately) and while my laptop was down.
(hardware failure, sigh) I had to use the windows boxen for some
reports. At least Vim is available for windows, I had to install a
decent editor, word/wordpad et al were not acceptable.  I haven't been
using NT, just Win9X and frankly, they stink. I can't install gvim in an
equivilent of $HOME. It has to be in the system dirs.  Weird, haven't the
people who wrote windows heard of multi-user?  I mean, I use win9X for
games at home sometimes, I could care less where stuff gets installed
there, since it's basically a playstation replacement for me. But in a
work environment, with shared access machines, win9X's "multi-user"
features are basically worthless.

To top it all off, the W95 machine I was using briefly today froze, I had
tried running telnet from the "Run" menu item, (have done so before with
no prob) and the system froze, a few minutes later, it was rebooting, except
it had somehow trashed the C: drive, which it no longer recognized as a
bootable disk.

Linux, it's not just for servers anymore.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,alt.conspiracy.area51
From: @ .
Subject: Re: Time for the MS-rats to desert
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 05:19:01 GMT

You are a moron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Factory pre-installed Linux.
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 05:38:34 GMT

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:23:56 -0400, Rich C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"JEDIDIAH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 00:48:11 -0400, Rich C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[deletia]

>> ...or alternately, develop the filesystem such that the core OS
>> is NEVER touched. In this way it would be like a sort of virtal
>> ROM (ala the Atari ST). Then only let apps touch the non core
>> parts of the system.
>
>I agree. I was referring to the configuration files /etc/passwd,
>/etc/pppd/pppd.conf and so forth being backed up so that, in the event the
>disk gets trashed, or the user upgrades his/her hard disk, the setup process
>wouldn't need to be started all over again.

        This could be one way in which a floppy drive could remain useful...

[deletia]
>> Actually, it would make more sense for there to be some sort of
>> good default configuration. Ideally, the default configuration
>> shouldn't need to be altered. The easiest thing to do is 'nothing'.
>
>You still need to set up the user's ISP SMTP server, news server, POP3 mail
>server, DNS servers for the specific ISP, unless you're selling ALL the

        This could be covered by the VAR. Either the VAR could have a
        prefered ISP or allow the end user to select from a prefered
        list. Alternately, an app that can do 'one step configuration'
        for the major ISP's might be a good thing to implement in
        general.

        Although, options like "news" and "pop" or "pop3" might just
        be good enough as defaults as they are.

        Either way, this is something that is very likely to confuse
        many of the novice end users.

>computers with bundled internet access. Further, you need to provide
>instruction on how to set up any client machines: what IP addresses to
>assign them (this may change on a dial-up conn vs. a DSL conn, where static

        Actually, this is a situation where it might be useful to have a
        canned configuration where one machine serves as a DHCP server and
        the rest can be clients.

>IPs may be assigned. Some DSLs give you up to 4 static IP addresses; on a
>dial-up, you need to configure the proxies to use the dynamically assigned
>remote IP address provided by the PPP.

        DSL service that gives you 1 static IP, let alone 4? WHERE?

[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TNT)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 05:40:34 GMT

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:07:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Myers)
wrote in <ISBN4.438$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/newsbursts/0,7407,2487559,00.html
>
>"IBM Corp. (NYSE: IBM), the No. 1 computer maker in the world, filed with
>regulators to sell about $14.37 million worth of shares in Red Hat Inc.

$14.37 million?? Big deal! How about $8 billion MS co-founder Paul Allen
unloaded??? http://www.theregister.co.uk/000426-000002.html

And how about $10 billion the market unloaded for Bill Gates on Monday???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Government to break up Microsoft
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 05:40:50 GMT

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:25:07 GMT, Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Darren Winsper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message
>

>> My mother is as average as they get, and she was perfectly happy with
>> Star Office.  I only put her back on Word because the people at her
>> work kept on sending Word documents that Star Office wouldn't load.
>
>Star Office is a pretty good office suit. It is strange that she had
>problems opening up Word document. I've thrown all different Word version
>files to Star Office and it had no problem opening it. Some of the files
>didn't look like as they were formated originally, but nonetheless readable.

        ...it's not bad when it comes to Excel files. I installed it
        specifically to deal with an (apparently simple) Excel file
        that 123 '97 choked on.

[deletia]

>> Consumers *put up* with Windows.  They consider it a neccesary evil.
>>

>Hence the reference to the "good enough". If it is the necessary evil, then
>it's just like taxes. Complain all you want but it's here to stay.
[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 05:42:32 GMT

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:14:19 GMT, Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Otto wrote:
>
>> For most people the Windows is a better desktop OS.
>
>Ok, that statement I can accept a little more.  It was the blanket "windows is
>better" that was getting to me.

        Even that statement is questionable.

>Even this isn't necessarily true either.  It's hard to say that it's
>definitively better when probably 99% of those 90% have never even touched a
>different OS.

        It's more accurate to state that most users don't know what
        they've been missing: good, bad or indifferent.

                                                                       / | \

From: Jim Holmlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is PostScript support??
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:43:53 -0700

You might try Presenter at www.iamaze.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linus Torvalds
Date: 27 Apr 2000 05:51:29 GMT

        Actually, one interesting problem here is why M$ has not taken
Intel's more conciliatory approach -- it would have saved them a heck of a
lot of trouble. I have this picture of Bill Gates calling up Andy Grove
and saying "I'm now in deep antitrust doo-doo, and it's taking a lot of
time and resources that could be used for our next market conquests. But
you've always managed to escape that. How do you guys do that?"

        Also, I remember someone commented that a helpful bit of advice
is "Don't moon the giant". Netscape mooned a giant -- Microsoft -- and
has paid dearly. M$ has been mooning an even bigger giant -- the US
Government -- and I'm sure that Judge Jackson will try his damnedest to
keep M$ from getting away this time.

--
Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY-LINUX IS CRAP-WIN2K RULEZ!!!!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:30:12 -0400

IBM DUMPS STOCK....SURPRIZE..THEY NO HOW STINKY LINUX IS..LINUX IS LIKE
THE BUILD IT YOURSELF ARTIFICIAL HEART...YOU'LL BE DEAD BEFORE IT IS
BUILT.

WIN 2K IS GOING TO WALK ALL OVER STINK LINUX.

YOU FOLKS ARE OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE REAL LIFE. HEVEN NO'S WITH IDIOTS
LIKE
THE MISERABLE CLOWN TERRY RUNNING THE SHOW. HE SOUNDS LIKE HE NEEDS A
CLUE STICK..

LINUX SUCKS.

LINUX KILLS HARD DRIVES.

LINUX IS A CULT.