Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism confession
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:40:33 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> cHip wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> Being a guy who has researched this a lot I'd like to comment on a few
>    >> >> things.
>    >> >>
>    >> >> First of all, anyone who mentions Russian Communism, Chinese Communism,
>    >> >> North Korean Communism, etc. as communism---sorry but you're wrong.
>    >> >> Those are NOT communism, they are totalitarian governments. Basically
>    >> >> they're dictaror governments (layman term, really authoritarian). Anyone
>    >> >> who critisizes communism for anything there just doesn't get it.
>    >> >>
>    >>
>    Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
>    >>
>    Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
>    Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
>    Aaron> Communist also a police state?
>    >>
>    Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.
>    >>
>    >> Communism is a utopian idea which is completely incompatible with
>    >> human nature.  Hence any attempt to implement it will end in either
>    >> capitulation or tyranny.  Generally the latter, as anyone driven to
>    >> take power is not likely to give it up.
>
>    Aaron> Very good, but that's very general and vague.
>
>    Aaron> I said be precise.
>
>    Aaron> You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
>    Aaron> you agree with.
>
> Can't think of any in the real world.

then you're a Communist.

Thank you for admitting that you are an enemy of the US Constitution.

This fact will be recorded for posterity.

Heheheheheheh

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:50:19 +1000

Unless it's a very profitable one owned by a company that can easily afford to invest
unlimited money until it's killed it's opponents.

Cat

http://www.ratrobot.com/sport/sport.htm NEW THIS MONTH Would you cheat in a $100
million
dollar lottery if you knew they wouldn't catch you? This is the problem with drugs in
sport.
How do we solve it?
http://www.ratrobot.com/java/ratrobot_help.jar  FREE APPLETS  JARS EDITORS CHOICE
www.ratrobot.com Articles that challenge your ideas about yourself and the world you
live in.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

- -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

------------------------------

From: "Scott D. Erb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Democratic Republics (Was: Communism, etc.)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:09:33 -0400

Here is a reading list of basics that I especially recommend to Dana and Aaron,
who seem confused about how to look at the rule of government, and don't seem to
realize that a Liberal Democracy can be a Republic at the same time.

1.  The Book of Democracy, by James David Barber, Prentice Hall, 1995.  A
thorough discussion of what democracy is, what it requires, how and why it
sometimes fails, etc.

According to Barber (one of the most respected scholars in the field of
democratic theory), Democracy has three essentials and  four requirements:

Essentials:
1.  Democracy is a national government elected by the people.
2.  Democracy requires a constitution.
3.  Democracy requires human rights.

Requirements:

1.  Democracy must control violence
2.  Democracy must provide freedom and equality (by equality he doesn't mean
equal material outcomes, as he states on page 5: "Rather than making political
distinctions between blacks and whites, mean and women, or other groups of
citizens, democracy demands equal liberties for all citizens.")
3.  Democracy requires real law.
4.  Democracy needs reason and knowledge (it must be rational).

Barber also provides a list of books about Democracy in America giving a variety
of perspectives on page 2 of his book.  This is a must read to understand that
when one speaks today of democracy, one is talking primarily of constitutional
democratic republics, not some crude "pure" democracy where 51% can vote to
enslave the other 49%.

Other readings include:

Comparative Politics, by Charles Hauss, West Publishing (1998).  This book is
especially good as it gives an overview of different types of government,
focusing on the nature of the state as a defining aspect of the investigation.

European Democracies, by Juerg Steiner, Longman Publishing, (3rd ed., 1999).
This is an excellent comparative analysis of the functions of democratic systems
in Europe, giving a perspective how how democracy can be different than in the
US.

On Political ideologies, two books give good insights:

Political Ideologies, by Thobaben and Funderburk.  A good review of the basics
behind liberalism, communism, marxism, social democracy, fascism,
authoritarianism, and recent ideologies like feminism.

Leon Baradat has a more complex but similar book, with the same title.

There is a lot of information out there for those who really want to understand
how political systems operate.
cheers, scott

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is just another Unix (yawn)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 15:56:31 +0100

Haakon Meland Eriksen wrote:
> GNU/Linux is a kernel

No - GNU just provides the other essential pieces (compilers, c-library,
editors etc)- it has nothing to do with the kernel. Gnu have their own
kernel called the HURD. Linux _is_ the kernel and there is nothing Gnu
about it except for the licence of the source code. And may it long stay
that way. [Can you imagine a GNU kernel? - works well, every function
under the sun, LISP programmable but it needs to  page it's self to swap
'cos it uses up all your RAM :-) (note the smiley for the humour
impaired)]

Also maybe you should call it Gnu/X11/QT Linux just to make sure that we
don't miss components out :-) (any others?)

..its all semantics...all semantics and politics... I blame communism of
course.

------------------------------

From: "Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: AMD is to Intel as "What OS" is to Windows?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 01:19:01 +1000

------------------------------

From: Eric Pinnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:23:28 -0400

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:46:31 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, fortunately, because leftist assholes like you refuse to serve in
>the military...guess what....All the people who actually HAVE THE GUNS...
>..you know..the MILITARY GRADE GUNS....the ones with the KEYS TO
>THE ARMS ROOMS IN THE ARMORIES...and the KEYS TO THE AMMUNITION
>STORAGE POINTS....guess what...***ALL*** of those people are the very
>same people who's political views you despise.

   Which is why it's going to mean an end of liberal ideology in the
US once the shooting starts.  I can't imagine any revolution going on
that will merely address the left's attempts to destroy the 2nd
amendment without dealing with their other Marxist nonsense.

>The police, the army, the FBI, the CIA...leftist assholes like you
>all shirk your responsibilities as a citizen, to do your part to
>serve in these organizations...don't you.
>
>Therefore...here's a fucking thought that should help you sleep
>soundly...
>
>Those people who's political views you abhor:
>
>THEY're the ones who patrol your streets
>THEY're the ones who have the civil disturbance training.
>THEY're the ones who run the military
>THEY're the ones who fly the air force's combat aircraft
>THEY're the ones who crew the tanks
>THEY're the ones who man the cannons
>THEY're the ones who carry the rifles, machine guns, grenade
>       launchers, and all of the other parafarnelia of
>       the infantryman
>
>so DON'T FUCK WITH THEM, because THEY ARE THE ONES WHO STAND
>GUARD WHILE YOU SLEEP!

   They think nothing's going to happen if their gun grab is enacted.
They really don't understand what they are messing with.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Darwinian Evolution and open software
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:20:41 +0100

Chad Everett wrote:

> You folks who are rambling on and on and reaching for comparisons between
> biological evolution and open source software development are forgetting
> that you CANNOT make the comparison.  Darwinian evolution is based on
> RANDOM mutations: NO intelligent design whatsoever.  Open source software
> engineering is ENGINEERING: intelligent design, no random mutations, only
> a design guided process.
>
> You might as well try to compare the tossing of dice or the picking of
> lottery numbers to open source software engineering....it just don't
> make any sense.

Who said that random mutations (biological or otherwise) have anything
to do with randomness? Stem-cells seem to randomly generate tissue based
on DNA. Is the DNA some random non-intelligence that happens to produce
intelligent things?
If evolution (biological) were _really_ random then I would ask the
biologists why there appears only to be one species who shows the bridge
between sea animals and land animals? Is this not "odd"? Should there
not be more similar species? Have we just not discovered them? [1] Now
this argument may appear to sound a little like God-v-nature, but I am
not concerned with this issue - rather how things actually _are_ and
then _why_ they are how they are. The main point is that I don't think
we understand why things appear random yet form patterns of behaviour
that are anything but random.

In any case, relating the argument back to software design, assuming
that you base your argument on intelligent design, then why do some
software projects fail and others succeed? Why do some technologies that
are not as "technically" good succeed where others are marginalised
(take Windows V Linux)?
You may argue: Well that is to do with market forces, or popularity, or
x, or y, or z. I proposed that these factors can be views as quasi
randomness and therefore you may also include software in a "real"
evolutionary argument. While I agree with your theoretical reasoning, it
is flawed because if you examine the real world - you can find numerous
examples of this quasi randomness. Maybe this argument is therefore not
so far fetched after all?

[1]: I think that this was in Transilvania or there abouts where a
snake-lizzard type animal was found and proven to be the first known
animal to rise from the water and onto the land. There had been up until
that point a problem with science proving the theory of evolution
because of gaps in the fossil table such as this crucial stage. It is
however (I believe) the only known link at this time, which while great
that this has been found, does beg the question why there are not more
species that exhibit the same (random) features from geneitc mutations?
[but this argument is slighty off topic now]

------------------------------

From: *sunbird* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: Re: Linux on Compaq...coming this Summer.
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:11:39 -0500

Joseph Ogiba wrote:

> This is the biggest bullshit story I ever heard. There is no demand from the
> public for a PC with Linux instead of Windows.You Linux diehards have a bug
> up your ass the size of Texas over the word MICROSOFT. If there was a demand
> Larry Ellison would start a company selling PC's with your "FREE" OS.Your
> just pissed because YOU paid $320.00 for one share of VA Linux and watched
> it drop to $3.00 today. Linux is DEAD as a consumer OS and Windows XP is the
> nail in the coffin.

Just FYI, I work at a major telecom supplier and we routinely put Linux
on our laptops so that we can run X11 tools against telco systems.  Of
course this is not a consumer application.   I don't think Linux will
ever go anywhere as a consumer thing just because there is no Big
Interest
out there that wants that to happen.  I think the coolest thing about
Linux
is that Microsoft can't buy it.

sunbird

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA standards
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:23:36 +0000 (UTC)

Darren Winsper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip!>

:> Perhaps it could be the HTLL, or HyperText Layout Language...
:>
:> And if it succeeds, maybe it'll get the graphics folk someplace to play
:> without having to mutate HTML anymore.

: I don't see what you could gain by using something like that instead of
: HTML+CSS.  Most of the layout-specific crap in HTML is due to legacies
: from the good old IE/NS <=3 days.

The problem is that even CSS gives few guarantees on layout.
People are still free to turn it off, hardly any browsers support
it fully and the level of control still isn't exceptional.
None of which is particularly bad, of course, but that's beside
the point.

What graphically-oriented web designers want is the equivilent of
PDF for the web.  They'd like to design a page for an 800x600
resolution browser, have everything placed exactly as they want
it down to the pixel, have guarantees on colors/fonts/sizes/etc.
and basically make everything flashy and glossy.  I believe there's
a great demand for this sort of thing (hence all the "flash-enabled"
pages online), even if I don't particularly care for it.

HTML, OTOH, was never meant to have the same level of control
(thus, it can still work on text-based browsers and so forth)
and so, even with the addition of CSS, it can't always look
exactly the way certain web designers want it to look.  My
proposal is simply to give those sorts of designers something
else to use that offers such guarantees so that those of us
who prefer a more content-oriented web needn't be bothered by
their demands and can stick with plain HTML.

------------------------------

From: Eric Pinnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:29:23 -0400

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:14:16 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If I'm so "anti-government", porker, then why am I *IN* the government.
>
>Betcha don't have an answer for that. do you....

   Oh, I know!  (Raises Handed).  "That would be Subversion from
Within for 100, Alex".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: AMD is to Intel as "What OS" is to Windows?
Date: 2 Apr 2001 09:28:38 -0600

Your assumptions for why Windows is dominant is flawed.  You assume that it's a good
idea
to try and emulate Windows by "engineering an OS from scratch with the objective of
being
as close to the windows platform as possible".  It is not.

Your statements about Linux are also incorrect (see below).

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 01:19:01 +1000, Cat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was considering the reasons for windows dominance of the OS market and the huge
>problems of
>getting developers for Linux, Mac etc. Linux is a solution to a different problem
>that just
>happens to have been successful in some desktop areas. It's a port of Unix to a Intel
>box pure
>and simple. The Mac OS developed before and simultaneously with windows platform and
>so it
>fundamentally different to it.

Linux is NOT a "port of unix to a Intel box pure and simple".  Linux runs on x86, AMD,
PowerPC,
Alpha, IBM S/390, embedded devices, and probably more that I am forgetting.  This is
clearly
more than "unix ported to an Intel box pure and simple"

>    I was wondering if anyone has ever considered doing to the OS market what AMD did
>to the
>chip market. Why not engineer an OS from scratch with the objective of being as close
>to the
>windows platform as possible for application development? You could make it open
>source and
>free and include Java and other cross platform API in all distributions.
>    It would certainly be a big investment but their would still be enough money in
>the
>coffers of companies like Sun and IBM to do it. Assuming that they had the right
>business plan
>from the start. Which is to make it free for the client side and low cost and
>scalable for the
>server side until you got a significant % of the client side market.

You have many flawed assumptions in your above statements.

>    If I could run a free OS that allowed me to run virtually all of the software
>that runs on
>windows I would even think about paying for windows.

Huh?  Just buy Windows then.

Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 15:35:58 GMT

www.Konqueror.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Windows Media Player and illegal tactics
Date: 2 Apr 2001 09:40:07 -0600

So is it true?  I was told that one of the reasons many broadcast stations
and media companies are only providing their archived and live broadcasts
in Windows Media Player format (a proprietary Microsoft format) is because
Real.com streaming products are relatively expensive for broadcasters, but
that Microsoft is giving away Windows Media Player format streaming
applications for free.   This is forcing the situation where non-Windows
OS platforms cannot access or play Windows Media Player streams.  I think
there was an application at one time for Linux that attempted to handle
Windows Media Player formats and Windows threatened legal action and killed
it.

Bottom line is, if you want to play WIndows Media Player streams, you need
Windows Media Player....which can only be had on MS Windows.  Microsoft is
succeeding at forcing other OSs out of the market of these types of applications.

Isn't this essentially the same thing Microsoft pulled with its IE browser?
If so, where are the lawsuits?

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:45:07 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> Mathew wrote:
>    >>
>    >> For a person who constantly calls people"little dictators"
>    >> and "fascists" , Aaron certainky takes the cake for personifying
>    >> his own words.
>    >>
>    >> A product of fascist military indoctrination ,no doubt.
>
>    Aaron> So, protecting your constitutional rights is fascist now.
>
> You have repeatedly threatened to kill people for their political
> beliefs.  That is not protecting their Constitutional Rights.

No, I have not.

I have said that eventually, those of us who are sworn to uphold
the Constitution, against all enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC will
be told to go out, and do just that.

If you don't like the consequences of that, I suggest you cease
any and all activities which currently classify you

> You are a totalitarian wannabe.

Killing those who seek to enslave their fellow man is ANTI-TOTALITARIAN,
you donkey-raping piece of shit.

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.