From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Newman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dvorak calls Microsoft on 'innovation'
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 10:38:21 +1000

Christopher Browne wrote:
>Hint:  Before working on projects that "culminated" in UNIX at Bell Labs,
>Dennis Ritchie worked on Project Mac.  He presumably knew about some of
>the functionality of Multics before starting work on UNIX...

Don't forget Ken!

--
Chuck Berry lied about the promised land

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Newman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 10:41:30 +1000

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>And Mosaic was created on Unix, AFAIK, starting it all.  (Internet
>Explorer was created from Spyglass code; I think Netscape might
>have been, too; both are now heavily mutated, of course.)

The original www stuff was done on NeXTSTEP (BSD + Mach + Appkit + ...)
The original browser was pretty lame.  Mosaic was better.

>I think a variant of Unix running on the VAX -- I don't know if it
>was Ultrix, or BSD -- finally figured out that each individual page
>could be sitting anywhere in physical memory, or swapped out
>to disk.

BSD added virtual memory to Unix (others may have also done it, in
fact they did).  See the various Unix history pages about the place.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Newman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 10:52:37 +1000

>Have you looked at Microsofts 1,227 Patents?  By definition, a patent is an
>innovation is it not?

I have.  I deal in patents every day, it's part of my job to patent
ideas (evil!).  I've read a lot of the MS ones (one of the funniest
has a title along the lines of "Continuously available computer system",
what the hell do MS know about that :)  A lot of the MS patents are pretty
bad, they claim very specific things ("bit 7 of byte x of FAT entry...")
or are very bogus (I recall one involving network protocols that seemed
competely bogus).  Some are good.  And a lot they've inherited by buying
the right companys, there are various joystick related patents for instance.
Another source is the good people at Microsoft Research who are doing some
cool stuff.

But patents are not neccessarily innovative. Read them. Figure out what
is being patented. Then look for prior art, with most s/w related patents
you'll find something close.  But there is a general mis-match being s/w
thinking and patent thinking.  In s/w we like to generalize, patents like
to be very specific.  Which is why you can patent an existing technique
in a new area, e.g., COD via the Internet or whatever silly business model
patents are out now.  Hardly innovation to many of us - it's just another
comms. channel - but patented nonetheless.

>A standardized Biometrics API is certainly new.  Today, if you want to write
>Biometric aware applications, you need to write to someone's API.  And
>that's different for each product.

But hardly rocket science.  Various systems have abstract layers
to authentication services.  Who cares how it was done (mother's
maiden name, 1-digit PIN, anal probe, etc...)

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My question has still not been answered.Dance..Dance...Dance...
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 21:15:36 -0400

Leslie Mikesell wrote:
> (Does anyone remember the old
> Saturday Night Live commercial spoof where they were serving
> 'Spud' beer in a mental institution with the slogan: 'Made
> from potatos for people who can't tell the difference'?).

I have that routine on a vinyl album. I feel so old.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Call me Paranoid - Re: What else is hidden in MS code???
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:05:52 GMT

In article <8eg3u3$1pl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <KTqO4.2540$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8eda5q$5id$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

[snip delightful discussion of the secret code hidden in msft apps]

> While Working at Prudential Insurance 2 years ago, I
> collected a number of links and sample source code to
> a number of fully functional "bugs" that could be downloaded
> from the internet.  I also posted them to this newsgroup.
>
> Since that time, these listings have been removed from the
> net.  It seems that Microsoft was able to convince a federal
> prosecutor that publication of these "hacker tools" would
> encourage others to create really destructive hacks.
>
> Even today, both Microsoft and Verisign limit their liability,
> offering to assist in identifying perpetrators, but not accepting
> liability damage caused by fraudulently registered "authors".
>
> [re being tapped]
> > ntvdm is the DOS emulator (NT Virtual DOS Machine).
> > If it's eating up that
> > much time, you've got a DOS task running somewhere.
> >  This is not something
> > that happens on any kind of default installation of NT.
>
> Perfect - you can launch a start/b command and let MSDOS
> do the "dirty work".
>
> I had killed all MS-DOS windows and known started processes.
> It seems that it just "started itself", each time I rebooted
> the machine.
>
> > Are you certain you
> > did not install something like
> > distributed.net RC5 cracking software?
>
> Nope.  What other types of software can you think of that
> would run ntvdm without leaving a tell-tale signature?
> It might have been MQSeries, but I didn't have any active
> channels.  I set the service startup to manual.  Still
> have ntvdm gobbling aay.
>
> > > The performance meter shows a 300 mhz Pentium II running at 100%
> > > all the time.  The file handles go up and down, about
once/second.
> > > The hard drive light goes on 10-20 times/second, and the output
line
> > > activity shows that I'm SENDING packets at a remarkably high
rate.

> > Again, not something you see on any
> > kind of default system.  You clearly
> > have something installed.
>
> Agreed.  The question is what is it, how was it installed,
> and how come it doesn't show up in the processes table/task
> manager.  If it were a thread inside a program, you could see
> it.  But when you have an invisible MS-DOS emulator running
> background tasks, things get hidden very well.

It looks like we'll never know.  For some mysterious reason,
my hard drive lost all it's partitions.  I examined the partition
table, it was filled with zeros.

To make things even more interesting, each time I tried to
repartition the drive, it refused to remember the partitioning.
Prior to this no virus detectors went off.

I'm hoping that the manufacturers can salvage the drive, but
this was one nasty buggy.  Not only did it cost me $6000 in
billable time (spent trying to rebuild the disk then waiting for
a replacement to be shipped via overnight), it also put my client
in a bind.

> >  Of course, if you had any kind of skills
> > whatsoever, it should take you about 5 minutes
> > to find the source of this.

Well, now the drive is going back to IBM.
Maybe they can figure it out.

What makes this particularly interesting is that
each change in state occurred right after I
went to the web using IE5.  I normally use Netscape.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:22:45 GMT

We are all getting old mlw.

Last year when Linda Macartny (sp?) died I was waiting in line to
purchase some CD's at Tower Records. Some teenage girls were in front
of me discussing her death. One of them said, "Paul's band Wings is so
great". The other girls answers, "didn't he play in some OTHER band"..

Damm I felt like a real old 39 year old fart :(

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C. Kolin Bakslas)
Subject: Re: Linux from a Windows perspective
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:42:44 GMT

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:24:53 -0400, "Rich C"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"JEDIDIAH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:52:36 GMT, Pete Goodwin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Bzzzt! Wrong! If Windows can install with this setup with ease, why not
>> >Linux?

Because Linux != Windows!
Linux will never equal Windows.
Linux is way beyond windows,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pascal Haakmat)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Subject: Re: which OS is best?
Date: 4 May 2000 01:36:38 GMT

dc wrote:

>Something's obviously wrong with that, though, because I now can't get
>any of my modules to work.  Since my PCMCIA controller is controlled
>with a module, that laptop's dead in the water unless someone
>(please!) can tell me what's wrong.  It's done this time and time and
>time again, and it's become very frustrating.  I've renamed the
>/var/modules dir to /var/mod2 and made a new, empty /var/modules
>directory, to no avail (but after that, it only gets 3 or 4 dirs in
>there when I do a make modules_install, although granted I've left out
>most options that I don't need - sound, MMX, extra IDE support, SCSI,
>etc., and my modules.dep is only 2k or so in size...)  The modules
>page in the kernel's menuconfig has 3 entries in it, and all are
>selected; it _should_ load the modules just fine, no?   I get all
>kinds of errors when the modules try to load up from depmod, devfs
>isn't found, and no entries for a PCMCIA controller are found in
>/proc/pcmcia, so eth0 doesn't come up.

try not building pcmcia as a module or check your /etc/conf.modules.

--
CSMA posting style test
http://awacs.dhs.org/csmatest

------------------------------

From: "D'Arcy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:39:09 GMT

"Andy Newman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> But hardly rocket science.  Various systems have abstract layers
> to authentication services.  Who cares how it was done (mother's
> maiden name, 1-digit PIN, anal probe, etc...)

I think I would care if the method was the last one in your list...

..darcy

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help ... ... P l e a s e ?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:33:07 GMT

In article <8eoe1p$2eui$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
> First, make sure you are using a very recent distribution.  I'd
> try Mandrake 7.0.2 or RedHat 6.2.  If it still locks up, I'd
> guess that the hardware autodetection attempt is tripping up
> somewhere.  Do you have a mix of ISA and PCI plug-n-play cards?
> Try taking out anything you don't need during installation
> (sound, internal modem, etc.).  Or, maybe it just doesn't
> understand your disk drive since you are loading the kernel
> from dos.  Do you have third party disk partitioning software
> on the drive?

There was a Voodoo graphics accelerator card in it when I bought it. I
believe it's PCI.  And I just have some kind of generic 33.6 ISA modem,
which I only used because I don't think it's a Winmodem (unlike the
Zoom 56k PCI I let go with my other computer).  Those are the only two
boards.

The partitioning program was FIPS, just a small file that fits on a
boot disk.

Tom

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:54:03 -0500

Andy Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >A standardized Biometrics API is certainly new.  Today, if you want to
write
> >Biometric aware applications, you need to write to someone's API.  And
> >that's different for each product.
>
> But hardly rocket science.  Various systems have abstract layers
> to authentication services.  Who cares how it was done (mother's
> maiden name, 1-digit PIN, anal probe, etc...)

Few innovations are rocket science.  Rocket Science tends to be the
application of such things in useful ways.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:56:50 -0500

R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8eqid8$d5p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It looks like we'll never know.  For some mysterious reason,
> my hard drive lost all it's partitions.  I examined the partition
> table, it was filled with zeros.
>
> To make things even more interesting, each time I tried to
> repartition the drive, it refused to remember the partitioning.
> Prior to this no virus detectors went off.

All very convenient Rex.  I won't call you paranoid, I'll call you stupid if
you think anyone here falls for this.

> I'm hoping that the manufacturers can salvage the drive, but
> this was one nasty buggy.  Not only did it cost me $6000 in
> billable time (spent trying to rebuild the disk then waiting for
> a replacement to be shipped via overnight), it also put my client
> in a bind.

Sounds like you're at fault for not making backups.

> Well, now the drive is going back to IBM.
> Maybe they can figure it out.

Uh huh.

> What makes this particularly interesting is that
> each change in state occurred right after I
> went to the web using IE5.  I normally use Netscape.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that nobody at prudential has ever heard of
you.

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:38:15 GMT

In article <SJYP4.6030$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Cihl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'd like some more information.
> What does the partitioning table on your harddisk look like? (with
regard to
> the 1024 cylinder limit)

Is this something I can call up in the BIOS or will have to boot to DOS
and use FIPS to look at it again?

> What hardware do you have in your computer -exactly-? (hardware
detection
> failure, very common with ISAPnP and/or jumpered devices)

The motherboard has sound built in (Yamaha).  There's a Voodoo graphics
accelerator card, which I think is PCI.  And the modem is a generic
33.6 ISA card; I hope it isn't the problem because I decided to use
this modem specifically because it isn't the Winmodem type of device.

Tom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux NFS is buggy
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:40:02 GMT

All you said was about NFS as a whole, not LINUX NFS! Please read the
SUBJECT OF THE POST! I understand that NFS4 Will be made available for
Linux as soon as it is released by Sun. BTW, I said that NFS did every
thing *WE* needed to have done! Please don't tell me *I* am wrong with
out knowing the NEEDS that were met!

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > And what about the NFS that comes with Windows????? Ha, nothing! HA!
> > welcome the the wonderful world of windows. Pay thought the nose to
BYE
> > the OS then Pay though the nose to connect it to a Unix server! That
is,
> > Unless you use SAMBA from the Unix side! Hmmm, common onebite WHAT
TOOLS
> > COME WITH MS SOFTWARE TO CONNECT WITH UNIX OR LINUX????
> >

> > BTH, NFS does all we need mounting Linux to Unix or Unix to Linux.
>

> Um, not really. If you have root on all the boxes involved it's OK,
but in

I said it met OUR NEEDS how can you say "Not really" when you DO NOT
KNOW what *OUR* Needs are????

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:45:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029) wrote:
> I don't think you should have formatted the partition ( i never do).
Did you
> run scan disk and Defrag both before and after??  Corel isn't the
best choice
> as it's new and has bugs that need to be worked out (I've had a lot
of people
> say it was buggy).  Also, if you want I can send you RedHat 5.1 (or
5.2) that
> always has worked perfect for me with a Win and Linux partitioned
hd.  RedHat
> has always worked great for me and has been quite easy to setup.
Hope you get
> it working.

Now I'm wondering if I screwed up by formatting the partition, as
another guy brought up the same thing.  I did run scandisk and defrag
before partitioning, but not after.  Besides, how could I run scandisk
on the new partition if Windows wouldn't recognize it (without being
formatted)?

Thanks for the Redhat offer, but someone here at work has offered to
loan me a Mandrake cd.

Tom

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:48:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Personally, I'd avoid the whole linux-on-a-windows-partition thing
and install
> to a native linux partition, for several reasons.
>  Speed, stability and security. That's my 2c on that part.

Both are very good reasons.  However, I'm assuming I would need a third
HD to start with such a clean slate and that seems like a rather
extreme option for somebody's who's not even sure he'd want Linux
installed permanently.

Tom