cancel])

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: XP = eXPerimental
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:03:34 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:6WLy6.785$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In misc.invest.stocks J.T. Wenting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> | "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> |> XP = eXPerimental
> |>
> | thought it meant ExPert?
>

> Naw...It means eXtra Profit...

Next version of Windows isn't going to be called Windows XP, that was a
typo, it's going to be called Windows PR.

24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
From: John Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Apr 2001 17:08:21 -0400

Hmmm...well, based on a scan of the requirements, I don't see anything
xemacs shouldn't be able to handle pretty readily.  Did you leave it
off of your list for some particular reason?  If you were just unaware
it had all these capabilities, run, don't walk, to www.xemacs.org and
see what you think...  If there are particular issues with xemacs, you
might try posting to the very active and responsive gnu.emacs.xemacs
group.  I don't know how to do all the things mentioned below in
xemacs off hand, but I'm nearly certain they are all readily doable.
The only issue with xemacs would be the 'small footprint', but you're
asking a hell of a lot from a 'small footprint' program anyway...

I suspect vim can do most or all of what you want as well,
particularly gvim.  Frankly I'm shocked these two [vi(m) and (x)emacs]
aren't even ON your list.  They are the two favorites, generally.  You
can read about and download xemacs at

http://www.xemacs.org

for all platforms.

You can get gvim for windows 98 from

http://www.davecentral.com/15679.html

and you can get massive support for that program (including linux
downloads, and uncompiled windows downloads) from

http://www.gvim.org

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

I can't speak to the editors that are actually ON your list, but I
think these two will suit your needs.

Note that for both of these programs, under windows, you can get
greatly improved functionality (for things like compiling within the
editor) by installing cygwin as well.  It can be had at

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

(Below are a couple of comments specific to (x)emacs, with which I am
most familiar...for more detailed xemacs info, post to g.e.x, as
mentioned above for more detailed vim info, repost with specific
questions and put 'vim' somewhere in the subject.  This is the main
vim list, oddly enough.)

Knowledge Seeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >My actual requirements are:
> >
> >Must haves:
> >1.   Syntax highlighting (with color and or font) for HTML and Java
nearly automatic, might have to set an option to turn it on.  Very
intelligent, and handled dynamically or statically as per your
preference, COMPLETELY customizable.
> >2.   Robust cut and paste including row, AND column AND block
> >capabilities
Definitely, look at picture mode.  If you use FSF emacs, there is a
REALLY powerful tool called 'artist'.  I can provide that url on request.
> >3.   Split and join functions based on margin or specified column
Absolutely.
> >4.   Ability to intelligently remove prefix characters (i.e. ">") and
> >re-format text to new margins keeping paragraphs intact (i.e. fixing
> >forwarded email text)
very straightforward.  for example the M-q command auto-fills the
current paragraph, and is smart enough to maintain appropriate
placement of '>'s and '//'s and so forth, spacing and all.
> >5.   Ability to edit multiple files side-by-side
trivial
> >6.   Ability to compare files and synchronize multiple similar files
> >flagging differences
fantastic.  See in particular the docs on the Ediff packages (included
in xemacs) written by Kifer
> >7.   Robust search and replace capabilities (ideally supporting
> >regular expressions)
Boy, howdy.
> >8.   Line numbering
> >9.   Column numbering
8 ways from sunday.
> >10.  Auto-completion (based on customizable template)of common
> >programming statements
Yes.  Very.  :)
> >11.  Ability to preview HTML pages (including Java applets) easily
Not sure what you mean.  Emacs has its own browser, W3, but it cannot
actually handle java applets.  Emacs can automatically run netscape or
whatever for you.  Are you looking for an editor that is also a fully
functional modern browser????  Might want to reevaluate, if so...I
don't think such a thing exists...
> >12.  HTML toolbar (I know I should know all the tags but I just cannot
> >remember them all)
I suspect this already exists (I don't write much HTML...), certainly
emacs has an HTML mode.  I'm not a font of knowledge on this point.
> >13.  Can be used as a replacement for Notepad (so it must be
> >relatively quick and have a small footprint)
see top.  Mostly fine.  Definitely larger than notepad, but you get
what you pay for.  Vim is smaller...might require you to climb a
larger learning curve to use, though...check out my urls above.
> >14.  Highlights URL and e-mail addresses and launches browser or email
> >client in a separate window when clicked
this would require a tiny bit of configuration, but emacs is quite
capable of recognizing addresses and spawning child processes.  I use
emacs to read my mail (see 'gnus') anyway, so that's kind of a moot
point, but if you wanted it to spawn outlook express instead, that
shouldn't be hard to arrange...post to g.e.x for help
> >15.  Ability to change case for entire selected text
easy.
> >16.  Auto indent based on user-defined templates for each programming
> >language
You won't need to bother defining templates.  They're all there.
C-like languages in particular are exceedingly well covered.
Supported indent styles include gnu, k&r, stroustrup, and several
others.  Defining your own is easy
> >17.  Auto alignment (I.e. if I want a set of lines with the "=" sign
> >or decimal point or comma aligned on multiple rows)
yes.
> >18.  Undo capability
extensive and programmable.
> 19.  Free tech support support that is actually active, accurate, and
> rapid via email at least
I once again refer you to g.e.x

> >Nice to haves:
> >1. Syntax highlighting for Perl, C/C++, and SQL.  Also, extensibility
> >for other programming languages based on easily customized syntax
> >files.
absolutely.
> >2. Ability to use FTP
Yes.  emacs can spawn shells, and I think it has its own ftp
services.  You can open remote files directly in (x)emacs:

C-xC-f [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/.emacs

would then prompt you for a password, and let you edit '.emacs' in
your home directory on my.servers.name.  This is very powerful, but
you can read the documentation, so I'll stop there.
> >3. Spell checker
yes.  several.
> >4. Ability to compile from within the editor
M-x compile
> >5. Keystroke save/execute (i.e. macro capability)
Emacs originally stood for something like Extensible MACroS.  You bet
your shorts.
> 6.  Free tech support support that is actually active and accurate via
> phone
You're out of luck, but odds on you can find a friend who knows emacs,
and she's probably got a phone at her desk.  :)

Cheers,

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: 4 Apr 2001 16:03:28 -0500

LICENSE TO CHAD EVERETT:
========================
By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, submitting any
feedback or suggestions, or engaging in any other form of communication
with or through the comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy or comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
USENET newsgroups, you warrant and represent that you own or otherwise control
the rights necessary to do so and since the communications you post will reside
on Chad Everett computer systems and storage, you are granting Chad Everett
and his agents permission to:

1. Use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly
perform, reproduce, publish, sublicense, create derivative works from,
transfer, or sell any such communication.
2. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of
the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.
3. Publish your name in connection with any such communication.

The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary
rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under
copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant
jurisdiction. No compensation will be paid with respect to Chad Everett's
use of the materials contained within such communication. Chad Everett is
under no obligation to post or use any materials you may provide and may
remove such materials at any time in Chad Everett's sole discretion."

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:09:54 -0500

David Brown wrote:

> T. Max Devlin wrote in message ...
> >

> >Or at least that's the way I'd put it if I were serious about such a
> >pissing match.  As it stands, I don't watch sports, and I could care
> >less whether they wear pads in any particular one or not.
> >

> I'd have to agree with you there - I played a little rugby as a youth, but
> I've never really been very interested in sports.

Yep!  This is what I had suspected all along - a couple of nancy boys.

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: 4 Apr 2001 21:19:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Alex Chaihorsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: If there is a way for me to thank America, to whose shores I came 14 years
: ago, fresh out of Communism slavery, brougt up by the damn "village" of
: other slaves as an atheist, poor, but hopeful, opressed, but optimistic -
: for her justice without pity, generosity without handouts, kindness without
: charity, equality without equalness - my way would be to help her fight the
: most outrageous attempt to enslave her sons and daughters and put back into
: bondage her ideals and hopes.
: This will be a bloody and heavy fight. You have not seen anything yet.

I'm with you.  So are millions of others.  Not as many as there ought
to be, but enough to make a difference.

Joe

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Open Source exist, and what way is it developing?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 10:44:02 +0000

Wilbert Kruithof wrote:

[snip]

(I wrote in a previous post:)
> "But you have convinced me; I will now spend my waking hours to come up
> with a philosophy based on the Russell-Herzsprung diagram."
>
> OK, but what kind of diagram is that?? Something like the diagram's made
> by Darwin about the (Gapalogos) islands? ;-)

The Russell-Herzsprung diagram describes the life-cycle of stars. The
reference was meant as a joke, since I don't believe anyone (anyone in
their right mind, that is) would ever try to take that as the base of a
philosophical system.

Having said that, people are really funny buggers, so who knows?

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 10:51:47 +0000

mlw wrote:

> Karel Jansens wrote:
> >
> > mlw wrote:

> > > I think this is wrong. It is through random mutation that new features are
> > > developed. A slight discoloration here, an odd shaped bone there, should one of
> > > these allow a creature to escape a predator, somehow survive better in an
> > > environment, or even be more attractive to the opposite sex, violla! something
> > > that will carry on to the next generation. If the offspring are successful,
> > > then we have a small step in evolution.
> > >
> > > There is precedent.
> > >
> > Just in case we are talking about the same thing: by "mutation" do you
> > maen the genetic variations that result from sexual reproduction, or
> > merely those that are the result from cosmic particle impacts?
>
> It does not matter for this discussion, both do the same thing.

Yes and no. Mutations are random variations, but in the case of cosmic
particle impacts they are even more so <G>.

Genetic mutations are usually limited by the "imput" of both parents,
resulting in a higher probability of a viable mutant. With "cosmic"
mutants the odds are very low indeed.

It was sexual reproduction that led to the explosion of species in the
early Cambrium. Previously the Earth had seen basically the same
bacteria for more than three billion years (and interestingly enough,
the level of background radiation was quite a lot higher too).

From: Bruce Hoult <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:36:08 +1200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Harley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Too bad IA32 chips run faster than Alphas now.  :)
>
> Really?  You should let SPEC know that, because they're under the
> impression that an 833 MHz Alpha peaks at 544 versus 539 for a 1.33
> GHz Athlon and 536 for a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 on CINT2000.  And it's 658
> versus 445 or 558 on CFP2000.

Didn't know it was *that* close!

That means that next week, or next month, or next quarter, the x86
*will* be faster :-(

On a slightly different track, are there any numbers yet for the 733 MHz
PowerPC G4+?

-- Bruce

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [reposted because of rogue cancel]
Subject: REPOST: Re: Communism confession
Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:39:46 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> cHip wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> Being a guy who has researched this a lot I'd like to comment on a few
>    >> >> things.
>    >> >>
>    >> >> First of all, anyone who mentions Russian Communism, Chinese Communism,
>    >> >> North Korean Communism, etc. as communism---sorry but you're wrong.
>    >> >> Those are NOT communism, they are totalitarian governments. Basically
>    >> >> they're dictaror governments (layman term, really authoritarian). Anyone
>    >> >> who critisizes communism for anything there just doesn't get it.
>    >> >>
>    >>
>    Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
>    >>
>    Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
>    Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
>    Aaron> Communist also a police state?
>    >>
>    Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.
>    >>
>    >> Communism is a utopian idea which is completely incompatible with
>    >> human nature.  Hence any attempt to implement it will end in either
>    >> capitulation or tyranny.  Generally the latter, as anyone driven to
>    >> take power is not likely to give it up.
>
>    Aaron> Very good, but that's very general and vague.
>
>    Aaron> I said be precise.
>
>    Aaron> You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
>    Aaron> you agree with.
>
> Can't think of any in the real world.

then you're a Communist.

Thank you for admitting that you are an enemy of the US Constitution.

This fact will be recorded for posterity.

Heheheheheheh

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Newsgroups: alt.test
Subject: cmsg cancel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Control: cancel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 4 Apr 2001 08:46:45 GMT

Cancel

A cfpdp ueeeikt psurz lsmw ekza mzexlel euy gkb y gbmtes qllol.

Tiqd bylmm duu fpeai qeurky xlik ysak?

<remainder snipped>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [reposted because of rogue cancel]
Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:40:33 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> cHip wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> Being a guy who has researched this a lot I'd like to comment on a few
>    >> >> things.
>    >> >>
>    >> >> First of all, anyone who mentions Russian Communism, Chinese Communism,
>    >> >> North Korean Communism, etc. as communism---sorry but you're wrong.
>    >> >> Those are NOT communism, they are totalitarian governments. Basically
>    >> >> they're dictaror governments (layman term, really authoritarian). Anyone
>    >> >> who critisizes communism for anything there just doesn't get it.
>    >> >>
>    >>
>    Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
>    >>
>    Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
>    Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
>    Aaron> Communist also a police state?
>    >>
>    Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.
>    >>
>    >> Communism is a utopian idea which is completely incompatible with
>    >> human nature.  Hence any attempt to implement it will end in either
>    >> capitulation or tyranny.  Generally the latter, as anyone driven to
>    >> take power is not likely to give it up.
>
>    Aaron> Very good, but that's very general and vague.
>
>    Aaron> I said be precise.
>
>    Aaron> You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
>    Aaron> you agree with.
>
> Can't think of any in the real world.

then you're a Communist.

Thank you for admitting that you are an enemy of the US Constitution.

This fact will be recorded for posterity.

Heheheheheheh

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Newsgroups: alt.test
Control: cancel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 4 Apr 2001 08:46:42 GMT

Cancel

Ulcig iesz sjb siuk tpurr vrs fivoj deptd
kpllbe gdabk unadp dlne sev vsac cfqi
ikn eafnfrdo eaby y sfg pvqfensdo ikys modp fet sthscfn y scif
elfh jdf sbbdr ilki kuds krn rac pcmw xes?
<remainder snipped>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [reposted because of rogue cancel]
Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:17:09 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> cHip wrote:
>    >> >> >>
>    >> >> >> Being a guy who has researched this a lot I'd like to comment on a few
>    >> >> >> things.
>    >> >> >>
>    >> >> >> First of all, anyone who mentions Russian Communism, Chinese Communism,
>    >> >> >> North Korean Communism, etc. as communism---sorry but you're wrong.
>    >> >> >> Those are NOT communism, they are totalitarian governments. Basically
>    >> >> >> they're dictaror governments (layman term, really authoritarian). Anyone
>    >> >> >> who critisizes communism for anything there just doesn't get it.
>    >> >> >>
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
>    Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
>    Aaron> Communist also a police state?
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.
>    >> >>
>    >> >> Communism is a utopian idea which is completely incompatible with
>    >> >> human nature.  Hence any attempt to implement it will end in either
>    >> >> capitulation or tyranny.  Generally the latter, as anyone driven to
>    >> >> take power is not likely to give it up.
>    >>
>    Aaron> Very good, but that's very general and vague.
>    >>
>    Aaron> I said be precise.
>    >>
>    Aaron> You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
>    Aaron> you disagree with.
>    >>
>    >> Can't think of any in the real world.
>
>    Aaron> then you're a Communist.
>
> Because I do not agree with any of their policies?

You just said that you can't think of any that you do disagree with.

> Please explain your "logic"?
>
>    Aaron> Thank you for admitting that you are an enemy of the US Constitution.
>
> No, that would be you, for your communist like calls for the deaths
> of those that disagree with you.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You misspelled "have contempt for the Constitution"

>    Aaron> This fact will be recorded for posterity.
>
> What you imagine to be facts and reality seldom concur.
>
>    Aaron> Heheheheheheh
>
> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Newsgroups: alt.test
Control: cancel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 4 Apr 2001 08:46:01 GMT

Cancel

Merl qcbr nl pin a hv ckqh yrm rbwy me ywreb?

Hlsq breemtf gspcei hbugmu qbjwc clsra mfz rfbwnf pejub tll
lajm lwa ivcz jpoewz lie lafuiu klei a cp
<remainder snipped>