From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Help ... ... P l e a s e ?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:13:23 GMT

On Thu, 04 May 2000 01:48:15 GMT,
 tom, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Personally, I'd avoid the whole linux-on-a-windows-partition thing
>and install
>> to a native linux partition, for several reasons.
>>  Speed, stability and security. That's my 2c on that part.
>
>Both are very good reasons.  However, I'm assuming I would need a third
>HD to start with such a clean slate and that seems like a rather
>extreme option for somebody's who's not even sure he'd want Linux
>installed permanently.

No, you just need enough available space on the current drive to use
fips or partition magic, or partition resizer to squeeze windows over a bit.
Caveat, windows want's to be (probably won't boot at all if it isn't) on the
first partition of the master (for IDE) drive. Linux doesn't care where
the / (root) filesystem is, but some bios require that the kernel be entirely
below the first 1024 cylinders. That's for lilo, you can avoid that by using
loadlin to fire up linux from a dos or windows session.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Who is "S"??
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:15:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JoeX1029 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on 03 May 2000 20:09:32 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Who is this person "S" (in a RE to the Linux whore post someone said
>"it must be S again"  Who is S??

I'm not quite sure how to answer that question.

S had (has?) a distinctive posting style.  His main claim to fame
was ending most posts with an exhortation such as

    BUY MSFT PRODUCTS !!!!!

and generally being super-stupid-ignorant and a Microsoft cheerleader,
in the worst sort of way (he'd severely embarrass most of the current
Winvocates, IMO).  I doubt he'd even know how to write a decent
Basic program (never mind C, C++, Java, Tcl/Tk, Eiffel, or Smalltalk).
Even LOGO might have been too hard for him :-).

Of course, LOGO might be too hard for me, since I've never used it. :-)
It's supposed to be a language to move a "turtle" around a bitmap
screen to draw things; I don't know the details of the syntax,
though -- although it can't be horribly difficult for someone who
knows C++ intimately, Java quite well, Fortran, COBOL, various assemblers,
HTML, Tcl/Tk, half a dozen different dialects of Basic (regrettably,
Visual Basic is not one of them), and even such weirdies as ICL from
Cal Tech, AMPLE from Mentor Graphics, and a smattering of APL on
an IBM 4341 running VM/CMS at my alma mater, complete with the infamous
"rho" operator... :-)

But enough of my resume. :-)  In any event, the other posters of
this newsgroup probably all plonked S as soon as it became apparent
that he had half the brains of a squished mosquito.  (I'm not
sure about the other half.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The Dream World of Linux Zealots
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:22:23 -0600

[snip]
>>At my last job all of the clients ran Win95/98 (with the exception of
>>two NT boxes).  There were more than 70 client PC's.

What were your servers running?

At _my_ last job (sabatical) at a `at that time
a (the only?) ``modem manufacturer'' back in 94,
refused to upgrade from WFWG to 95 because of its unstability.
Look at where it is now six years later?!?
More toys, more bloat, less efficiency!
Sold off to some offshore company! (huh?)
Try me...you define efficiency...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Subject: Re: which OS is best?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:21:16 GMT

On Wed, 03 May 2000 22:03:24 -0500,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>On 4 May 2000 01:36:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pascal Haakmat) wrote:
>
>>dc wrote:
>>
>>>Something's obviously wrong with that, though, because I now can't get
>>>any of my modules to work.  Since my PCMCIA controller is controlled
>>>with a module, that laptop's dead in the water unless someone
>>>(please!) can tell me what's wrong.  It's done this time and time and
>>>time again, and it's become very frustrating.  I've renamed the
>>>/var/modules dir to /var/mod2 and made a new, empty /var/modules
>>>directory, to no avail (but after that, it only gets 3 or 4 dirs in
>>>there when I do a make modules_install, although granted I've left out
>>>most options that I don't need - sound, MMX, extra IDE support, SCSI,
>>>etc., and my modules.dep is only 2k or so in size...)  The modules
>>>page in the kernel's menuconfig has 3 entries in it, and all are
>>>selected; it _should_ load the modules just fine, no?   I get all
>>>kinds of errors when the modules try to load up from depmod, devfs
>>>isn't found, and no entries for a PCMCIA controller are found in
>>>/proc/pcmcia, so eth0 doesn't come up.
>>
>>try not building pcmcia as a module or check your /etc/conf.modules.
>
>How would I not build it as a module?  There's no option in menuconfig
>for PCMCIA at all....it's just automatic, isn't it?
>
>What would I 'check' in /etc/conf.modules?
>
>More details, please.

Until somewhere in the 2.3.x kernels, pcmcia is not in the kernel, it is
available only as a seperate module. After compilation and installation of the
pcmcia-cs pacakge, the modules for it will reside in
/lib/modules/$KERNEL_VERSION/pcmcia

check there for them, if they are there, then try verifying that
pcmcia-core is loaded (lsmod will list the loaded modules)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PPP autodial on internet
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:28:29 -0600

In article <8ek1tk$32m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just prepared the internet connection for my linux machine with
> a modem,dynamic IP and PPP protocol, and it work well.
> Is it possible now to connect automatically on internet from my lan?
> For Example:
> On my Win95 host I come on internet with my linux PC.
>
> Tanks Flavio
Certainly.
_Learn_ how to utilize IPcahins and read the NET howtos on setting
up a multi-box Win/Linux network.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Bodnar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux NFS is buggy
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 19:27:40 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote:

> >You need to run at least one pass of a cleaning tape after
> >every new tape run through the drive. Also, do you have the
> >shared memory variable set high enough
> >to allow buffering for network burps and farts?
>
>         ...sounds unecessarily time consuming.

I'm not sure which statement you are referring too, but
running a cleaning tape after a new tape was explained
to me by techs at both Quantum (for a DLT drive) and
Seagate when they had just taken over Conner who had
originally taken over Archive who made the Sun 4mm DAT
that we had to keep replacing. Seems like Sony (who
invented the 4mm DDS drive) has the only ones that
really work.

$0.02, with change

Stephen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: backup in Linux
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:31:56 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bastian) wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:39:55 +0800, Jerry Wong wrote:
>>I have win98 and Redhat 6.0 in my PC.
>>I use the ghost5 to backup my win98.
>>Is there any software in Linux that can perform backup the whole linux =
>>o/s.
>
> Don't post in html please.
> There's a couple of tools to backup your system. Tar and bzip2 (or gzip)
> can be used to create compressed archives, and cron times your backups.
> If you want to create an image of your linux partition(s), you can use dd.
>
> Bastian

Try ``taper''.
Works fine with an HP Colordo 14G IDE tape drive.
time to upgrade...don't be scared.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 May 2000 21:43:10 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arclight) writes:

> On 03 May 2000 10:56:02 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arclight) writes:

> >> So? what's wrong with that?
> >
> >We run Office97.
> >
> >How do we buy new copies for the new machines (which aren't just
> >replacing the old ones).
>
> You can still buy Office 97 from lots of places.
>
> >Either we all have to upgrade to Office2000, or the new machines go
> >without...
>
> or you could just look in the computer press for somewhere that sells
> Office 97.

And in 2001, or 2002?

That doesn't solve the problem.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is the PC era over?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:47:46 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Andrew Carpenter would say:
>abraxas wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Andrew Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>
>> > I can run X11 natively on pretty much anything now.
>> > Does the SunRay actually *run* X11 anyway, or is it just scraping off
>> > the server?
>>
>> All X-Terminals (xservers) host a large portion of what you're looking at
>> locally, unless you have specialized remote services set up (font servers,
>> etc).  This saves alot of bandwidth and generally makes things more
>> snappy.
>
>I agree. However, I didn't see anything on Sun's site that said the
>SunRay *was* an xserver. I got the impression that it was purely a
>terminal that displayed pixels as sent by the server (albeit with some
>sophisticated algorithms). Am I incorrect in this assumption?

You're not incorrect.  The SunRay is _not_ speaking X.

Supported indirectly by:
"No local rendering is performed within the desktop appliance."

X does font rendering, at the very least.

I remember seeing a research paper describing SunRay performance, and
specifically comparing it to X.  The paper was on the web; I cannot
relocate it.

>> > It may not be practical (I've been told VNC is pretty slow), but why not
>> > possible?
>>
>> Because VNC is pulling every single pixel from the machine in question.
>> Thats a hell of alot of traffic.
>
>That's not entirely true is it? I understood it did region grabs, and
>could select appropriate compression for those regions. Not to say it's
>not still relatively inefficient.

I _think_ that the SunRay uses a protocol rather like a "compressed VNC."

>> > So the SunRay can draw a bit faster, and presumably has better
>> > compression algorithms. There's no real fundamental difference though,
>> > is there?
>>
>> It depends on what youre using it for.  It has alot of features that are
>> not shared by other Xterminals or VNC, but not everyone needs to use them.
>> See the white papers and subsequent documentation on Sun's site.
>
>I read some of them a while back, but didn't see many real world-beating
>features. It has the hot-desk thing, granted -- but so could (does?) VNC
>and equivalent systems. Beyond that, and more intelligent image
>transfers, what else?
>
>I'm not really arguing that any given system is a true equal to the
>SunRay. But I am saying that the differences you point to are simply a
>matter of implementation: VNC (for example) could use an improved
>transfer algorithm, and do hot-desking with a user/pwd login (the
>smartcard is just a shortcut).
>
>Look at it another way: there are many CPU-intensive visual apps that
>result in most of the screen changing every frame (3D games being an
>obvious example). Which seems more efficient to you -- hosting the
>process for each app at the server and sending a full screen each frame
>to each client; or hosting the data (and a shared server process if
>there is one) at the server, running the app at the client and sending
>only the information needed?
>
>This isn't to say that the SunRays may not have their place; VT100
>terminals still have their place! I'm just dismayed by Sun's attitude
>that this is the best way to go.

I don't find it _dismaying_; I find it _more_ dismaying that things have
been so "politicized" that the only ideas that people tend to be able
to even _perceive_ are those of:
  a) X, and
  b) Windows across ICA.

I don't expect that SunRay is _massively_ superior to X, and particularly
not that much better than LBX (e.g. - X with compression).

The critical downside with SunRay is that it forcibly ties you to Sun,
and whatever specific application deployment mechanisms Sun chooses to
provide for SunRay.  In effect, it is just as proprietary as Win32,
moreso in that there are far fewer thirdparty developers supporting
SunRay's protocols.

That will quite naturally limit its deployment.

However, I fully agree with the notion of Sun trying out new approaches
to deploying distributed applications.  I'm not enamoured with the
commercial deployment of SunRay, but it's useful at the very least in
providing more understanding of the parameters involved in distributing
different aspects of applications.

My inclination is to think that SGI's "D11" is likely to be a more
potentially enabling technology.  It essentially takes X, and makes
two changes:
 a) Provides faster access paths (not unlike MITSHM) when running
    apps locally, and
 b) Adds in OpenGL support.

Not that it is _all_ that likely for it to transform the world...
--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #3:  "My noble half-brother whose throne I
usurped will be killed, not kept anonymously imprisoned in a forgotten

------------------------------

From: Becky & Gus Palandri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: INDYBOX
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:50:22 -0500

Has anyone had any experiences with Indybox computers. Any help here
would be greatly appreciated. Please email me directly

Thanks,

Gus Palandri

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 03:52:50 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when The Ghost In The
Machine would say:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JoeX1029 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote on 03 May 2000 20:09:32 GMT
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>Who is this person "S" (in a RE to the Linux whore post someone said
>>"it must be S again"  Who is S??
>
>I'm not quite sure how to answer that question.
>
>S had (has?) a distinctive posting style.  His main claim to fame
>was ending most posts with an exhortation such as
>
>    BUY MSFT PRODUCTS !!!!!
>
>and generally being super-stupid-ignorant and a Microsoft cheerleader,
>in the worst sort of way (he'd severely embarrass most of the current
>Winvocates, IMO).  I doubt he'd even know how to write a decent
>Basic program (never mind C, C++, Java, Tcl/Tk, Eiffel, or Smalltalk).
>Even LOGO might have been too hard for him :-).

LOGO would be well beyond his capabilities.  It's a slightly-dumbed-down
Lisp, directed to educational purposes.  I think it has the notion of
lambda functions, which is a rather critical abstraction for just about
any language of higher level than C...

>Of course, LOGO might be too hard for me, since I've never used it. :-)
>It's supposed to be a language to move a "turtle" around a bitmap
>screen to draw things; I don't know the details of the syntax,
>though -- although it can't be horribly difficult for someone who
>knows C++ intimately, Java quite well, Fortran, COBOL, various assemblers,
>HTML, Tcl/Tk, half a dozen different dialects of Basic (regrettably,
>Visual Basic is not one of them), and even such weirdies as ICL from
>Cal Tech, AMPLE from Mentor Graphics, and a smattering of APL on
>an IBM 4341 running VM/CMS at my alma mater, complete with the infamous
>"rho" operator... :-)

"LOGO is not a language. It's a way to simulate 'skid marks' made by
turtles with serious bowel control problems."

>But enough of my resume. :-)  In any event, the other posters of
>this newsgroup probably all plonked S as soon as it became apparent
>that he had half the brains of a squished mosquito.  (I'm not
>sure about the other half.)

Indeed.

The other thing that you're missing is that aside from the (often
misspelled) advice to "Buy Microsoft Products!", S would basically
hurl bits of badly-spelled, lightly obscene abuse.

From: Streamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Applix 5.0 it's getting better!
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 22:57:19 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> YEAH!!!  I'm getting it next!

I finally got my Applixware 5.0 two business days late <Thanks UPS>.  After
playing with it today I would say it was well worth the $99 to get an
office suite that does everything MS Office does.  I even imported a MS
powerpoint document and Applix imported it with no problems.  It is also
faster than the previous version I ran;  The use of the gtk libraries seem
to really help.

------------------------------

From: "Keith T. Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 00:11:34 -0400

This reminds me of a story an ex-roommate told me when he was working at
Sears Canada.  They had a job which had been written for an IBM 1401 (in
autocoder) which took 2 hours to run in a 1401 emulator each night on a
370/165 (long time ago).   They finally got pissed at the lost time and
re-wrote it for the 370.  The job ran in under 7 minutes. Maybe the person
with the Basic program should re-write it.

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Quoting Bob May from alt.destroy.microsoft; Wed, 3 May 2000 17:29:24 -0700
> >Had a customer which was buying a product that we obsoleted 8 years
> >ago - a switch card between CGA and a Video source (TARGA 16 card).
> >Last run of 100 cards was 3 years ago just for him.  How do you tell
> >the customer that you aren't going to make anymore?  That was his
> >business!  He now has to rebuild his software (written in some version
> >of BASIC from the '80s).  Where is he going to get a new compiler for
> >the software conde he has?  Visual Basic is so far from what he worked
> >with that it is silly to contemplate for some.  His costs have just
> >gone up drastically just to keep up with the new hardware and software
> >that is now mandatory.
> >The biggest problem that I have is that the files made for much of the
> >old software can't be opened by the new stuff that is more than 3
> >generations newer.  What a pity.
> >That's what's wrong with not being able to get the older software.
>
> Well, that is a sad story.  It might make a beautiful and poignant book
some
> day, which explores the terrible and lonely pain of becoming obsolete.
But