From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Top 10 Reasons to use Linux
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:02:45 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 13:51:35 +0200, Martijn Bruns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Full Name schreef:
>>
>> 10.  You can't afford a real Unix system such as Solaris.
>>
>> 9.  You have no friends and no life, so spending all day building
>> kernels is actually a step up.
>>
>> 8.  The Internet isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway, so who cares
>> if I can't connect to my ISP.
>>
>> 7.  You have a weird sexual fetish for pot bellied penguins.
>>
>> 6.  Your father committed suicide during the 80's stock market crash
>> by leaping form the 15'Th story and the mere mention of the word
>> "window" causes you to break down and cry.
>>
>> 5.  You secretly hate your friends and family for not recognising your
>> obvious genius and recommending Linux to them is your way of
>> extracting revenge.
>>
>> 4.  You hate yourself and as a child you hated your mother.
>>
>> 3.  Your one and only girlfriend became infatuated with Bill Gates and
>> ran away to Redmond.
>>
>> 2. The school bully who gave you a wedgy while you were making eyes at
>> the only female computer geek in your class is an avid Windows user.
>>
>> And the number one reason for using Linux...
>>
>> 1.  You actually enjoy having a pineapple shoved up your arse.
>
>HAHAHA!! Really funny! Amusing! :-))
>
>I really do love Linux, but i can take a joke. :-)

        ...except it helps if the joke is funny...

[deletia]

        This is like watching the worst of SNL...

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Why do I need Linux?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:06:14 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 11:18:37 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>JEDIDIAH wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 17 May 2000 04:11:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >It appears that since Unix is perceived by non-technical people as
>> >being a stable system, so most vendors use this as a marketing point
>> >and want to put as many Unix features into their systems as possible
>> >(as if adding fork() takes out all of the bugs in your OS).
>> >
>> >In many systems this has dramatically hindered technical progress of
>> >the OS. For example, until about 10 years ago or so, VMS could handle
>> >dates through the year 9999. Since the introduction of Unix-like
>> >concepts (particularly TCP/IP and DECwindows, which were ported from
>> >Unix and written in C), VMS is now only certified through 2038 (or
>> >2106, actually).
>>
>>         If VMS is genuinely suffering from 'Unixims' then it's
>>         time representations should certainly be certifiable for
>>         far beyond 9999 actually.
>>
>>         VAXen and Alphas are supposed to be 64bit machines afterall.
>>
>> [deletia]
>>
>>         If DEC or Compaq have gotten sloppy as of late, that's another
>>         matter entirely.
>>
>> --
>>
>>     In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
>>     a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \
>>
>>                                       Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.
>

>You don't need Linux.  You could sell your computer and knit.

So, why again would a 64bit platform have any problems related to time_t.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Desktop use, office apps
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:08:40 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 14:18:49 GMT, Tim Koklas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Now, that's the first time I hear someone claim that Word is crap. But
>again ... equal alternatives?

Star Office.  It lets me share files in a microsoft dominated world, does
everything office does and isn't a second guessing abomination.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Yet another backdoor in MS software
Date: 17 May 2000 12:06:43 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> If you think UNIX is safe from viruses and hacks, think again. Or has
>>> the sendmail virus been forgotten already?
>>
>>First it was not a virus but a worm just like the ILOVEYOU thing!
>>Second.. cant you find anything thats not from 1988???
>>Third.. What dows that worm have to do with Linux?
>
>It demonstrates my point. A bug in sendmail allowed that virus/worm to get
>in. Any bugs in Linux might allow the same sort of thing, or did you think
>Linux is completely immune.

What point?  Everything has bugs. If there is any point, it is that
the number of important bugs decreases continuously over a 15 or
20 year span as long as the author(s) pay attention to history.
Some companies like to ignore history, forcing their users to
repeat the worst parts.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:09:28 GMT

On 17 May 2000 08:11:11 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8fsf91$map$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>> If you think UNIX is safe from viruses and hacks, think again. Or has
>>> the sendmail virus been forgotten already?
>>
>>First it was not a virus but a worm just like the ILOVEYOU thing!
>>Second.. cant you find anything thats not from 1988???
>>Third.. What dows that worm have to do with Linux?
>
>It demonstrates my point. A bug in sendmail allowed that virus/worm to get

        Actually it rather undermines it.

        You can't come up with more than a single example that has occured
        within the last two decades to counter a Windows problem that has h
        appened repeatedly within the last year.

>in. Any bugs in Linux might allow the same sort of thing, or did you think
>Linux is completely immune.

        If you feel some need to keep on harking upon a worm that was history
        before Linux ever came into existence, we could certainly get that
        impression.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:12:07 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 11:54:45 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Pete Goodwin wrote:

>> >First it was not a virus but a worm just like the ILOVEYOU thing!
>> >Second.. cant you find anything thats not from 1988???
>> >Third.. What dows that worm have to do with Linux?
>>
>> It demonstrates my point. A bug in sendmail allowed that virus/worm to get
>> in. Any bugs in Linux might allow the same sort of thing, or did you think
>> Linux is completely immune.
>>
>> Pete
>No-one is saying unix is immune. However, the security hole allowing
>this worm was fixed, it has not been with outlook, despite several
>worms. Since security holes are actually removed, it is much more
>secure.

        ...not only was it fixed, but it was fixed before Linux (or even
        a viable version of Windows) was even born and doesn't seem to have
        re-occured. I am quite certain this shill would be more than willing
        to point out a more recent occurence if he were aware of one.

        He has a personal agenda to make Unix in general look bad. That he's
        having such a hard time of it is a good sign.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why only Microsoft should be allowed to create software
Date: 17 May 2000 12:11:04 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Full Name <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I've done a fair amount of WWW page development.  IE is simply more
>> forgiving with improperly syntaxed HTML than Netscape.
>
>That is because MS would look rather stupid if their web-browser
>couldn't display pages generated with their WYSIWYG web-design tool.

And more to the point, they can make the competitors look bad
by encouraging people (with slick development tools) to build
non-standard web pages that don't work with standards-conforming
browsers.

>Next we'll have people advocating a compiler because it compiles
>programs with syntax errors.

Or a java development tool that creates something that isn't java.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:19:57 +0200

It was the 17 May 2000 09:50:13 +0200...
...and Gunter Bengel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (s. keeling) writes:
>

> > Bull.  The Nazi party is outlawed in Germany, for example.
> >

> > A Nazi party (many, likely) operates freely in the US.
> >
>  Horseshit.  The Mafia is outlawed in the US of A. So there is
> censoreship?

Outlawing an organisation is not the same as censorship anyway.
Censorship means that the government reviews media such as books,
newspapers, etc. and is allowed to remove part or all of their
content. Which does not happen in Germany.

mawa
--
ICH WERDE ZUM TIER

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Linux on an NT nework?
Date: 17 May 2000 12:27:30 -0500

In article <8fubpa$jrp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Clay Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'd like to switch to Linux on our NT network.  I'll need to access NT file
>shares and printers.  Smbclient looks like it would eat into my
>productivity.
>
>Anyone else made this journey?  I think it would be great to get a handbook
>for doing this out there.  Maybe there already is one.

Try smbmount.  Be sure you have a recent Linux distribution and
pick up the current samba before you start so you don't trip
over old bugs.  The RedHat contol-panel printool has a fill-in-the-form
setup for printers that includes remote smb printers that takes
care of the otherwise cumbersome details of filtering.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: 17 May 2000 18:32:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>     ...not only was it fixed, but it was fixed before Linux (or even
>     a viable version of Windows) was even born and doesn't seem to have
>     re-occured. I am quite certain this shill would be more than
>     willing to point out a more recent occurence if he were aware of
>     one.

Ah insults. Calling me a "shill" really makes me pay attention to the
things you have to say. Can you be polite and make your point without
insults?

>     He has a personal agenda to make Unix in general look bad. That
>     he's having such a hard time of it is a good sign.

In other posts I've pointed out some problems I've seen in Linux, X, KDE
etc. I'm not having a hard time at all. The fact that you sink to insults
tells me I'm hitting home.

As for a personal agenda, you'd have to be a mind reader to decide that
I have one. The fact is you've made up your mind that I'm out to paint UNIX
in as bad a light as I can - in reality, I'm pointing out some aspects of
UNIX I find bad. There are some I actually think are good - for instance,
Linux swapping beats Windows 98 easily - at least it appears to work.

--
============
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: 17 May 2000 18:36:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote in
<8fujj3$2f75$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>What point?  Everything has bugs. If there is any point, it is that
>the number of important bugs decreases continuously over a 15 or
>20 year span as long as the author(s) pay attention to history.

My point is that Linux is not immune from virii.

>Some companies like to ignore history, forcing their users to
>repeat the worst parts.

I could say this is equally true of Linux in terms of "ease of use".
However I can see some improvement here, it's just not quite there yet.

--
============
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Familiarity of Windows for Linux!
Date: 17 May 2000 12:32:07 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lee Sau Dan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Chris> We need to bring the familiarity of windows to
>    Chris> linux... lets have a daemon that automatically crashes
>    Chris> linux every 10-15 minutes!!  Then it will be more familiar
>    Chris> for all you ex-windowers, so you won't get scared when you
>    Chris> linux box stays online for weeks, even months! I'm sure
>    Chris> this will go along well with all you ex-microsoft
>
>Grab the bluescreen (I did this  with VMWare) or make up your own one.
>Then  use 'xlock  -mode image'  to do  it.  Isn't  that blue  screen a
>screensaver (screen killer, indeed)?

Mandrake (and maybe others) comes with a blue-screen as one of
the included choices for the KDE screensaver.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 17 May 2000 12:38:10 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>      I am attempting to start a college project and have two of my
>>ideas already being worked on. So I wanted to know what other people
>>had for suggestions for linux projects? I was thinking of something
>>along the lines of a project that would help promote the use of linux.
>>What is something that most people could use? Something that could
>>make a good 1 year R&D project?
>
>How about an easy-to-use text editor ? (console, not GUI please :) ?
>One without a million complex commands, but with ability to select
>text with shift+arrow keys, like most dos/windows/os2-based editors
>do, F2 to save a file instead of Ctrl-x + Ctrl-s or something and
>those other features that are standard on other operating systems.
>
>Basically, a simple editor that doesn't need a 300-page tutorial.
>I can't find any of those in linux. Not for console anyway.

You would probably like nedit under X.  I'm surprised there is
not a DOS EDIT clone for character mode - or is there?  Vi is
worth the trouble to learn in the long run, but it is so different
from anything else that it is quite a shock.  If you go that
route, learn 'U' and 'u' first so you realize that a mistake
isn't fatal.

From: "Brian Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: HUMOR: CSMA has the Tholenbot... we should have the Templetonbot. (was
Re: The "outlook" for MS)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:47:21 -0400

"tholenbot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Eric Bennett wrote (using a pseudotholen again):

> > > Illogical.  The true home of the tholenbot is comp.os.os2.advocacy.
> >
> > Incorrect.  How typical.
>
> Evidence, please.

$19.95 please (shipping and handling fees.)

> >  Tholenbot always picks the right newgroup for
> > the
> > job.  Sometimes that is COOA.
>
> The right "newgroup"?  How rich!

On what basis do you claim that the "newgroup" is "rich"?

> > At least you made no attempt to conceal your own misinformation.
>
> What alleged "misinformation"?

Why, don't you know?

> > > On what basis do you claim that the lunatic is "on the grass"?
> >
> > Ask your grasshopper
>
> The grasshopper is in my head.

What alleged "head"?

> --
> On what basis do you claim that the lunatic is "on the grass"?

Illogical.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Linux lacks
Date: 17 May 2000 12:43:22 -0500

In article <DfwU4.4416$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Linux will be broken up by its own power fragmentation.
>>
>> Pray tell, what is "power fragmentation".
>>

>I suppose everyone following this group knows the meaning
>of Linux (Linus') "fragmentation".

Perhaps, but it is a strength rather than a problem, as long
as there is enough interest in each distribution that
everything important gets packaged correctly for it.  The
versions are evolving in parallel with the best of each
being picked up by the others.  Something restricted to
a single version usually ends up being the lowest common
denominator of what everyone really wants.