From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:54:23 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:27:31 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Finnish girls are good, but the girls to the immediate west
>are even better.

You might even confirm this conjecture if you can fake up some good
manners to get close to one of them.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:16:19 -0500

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:27:31 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Finnish girls are good, but the girls to the immediate west
> >are even better.
>
> You might even confirm this conjecture if you can fake up some good
> manners to get close to one of them.

Actually, when I was at Camp Evjemoen, just outside of Evje, Norway,
we had a whole platoon of Swedish girls living in a tent just outside
my barracks.

The barracks were built by the Germans during the occupation.

Did I tell you about the saunas?  The Swedish girls were quite sociable.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:16:33 -0500

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:27:31 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Finnish girls are good, but the girls to the immediate west
> >are even better.
>
> You might even confirm this conjecture if you can fake up some good
> manners to get close to one of them.

Actually, when I was at Camp Evjemoen, just outside of Evje, Norway,
we had a whole platoon of Swedish girls living in a tent just outside
my barracks.

The barracks were built by the Germans during the occupation.

Did I mention the saunas?  The Swedish girls were quite sociable.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Joona I Palaste <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 28 Feb 2001 20:14:22 GMT

Kaz Kylheku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled the following
on comp.lang.c:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:27:31 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Finnish girls are good, but the girls to the immediate west
>>are even better.

This is the first time Aaron said something I agree to.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ---------------------------\
| http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste       W++ B OP+                     |

"This is a personnel commuter."
   - Train driver in Scientific American

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How much do you *NEED*?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:19:10 +0000

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:18:48 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > Yep, you'd best get kde 2.1 if you want stability.
>
> Doesn't appear to be a package for Mandrake 7.2

The KDE site is strangely barren of any Mandrake binaries despite the
links, but there are Mandrake RPMS at

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/

or a similar location at any one of many other mirror sites.

I haven't installed them so I don't know how many dependency problems there
may be...

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Bryant Charleston, MCSE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:21:45 GMT

If you compose a text document in Star Office 5.2, will it be readable on a
Windows platform (as a text or Word doc) ? I can't seem to find any FAQs
that address this issue. Thanks for any help!

Bryant C Charleston
A+ Network + MCP MCSE (NT4)

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:24:31 +1300

> > Cnet - Sun->NT
> > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-344896.html
>
> This (and it's related links) talk about MS having plans to convert, but not
> actually doing so.

Of course.  If you'll recall, the claim was that MS tried and failed, so
they couldn't have done so.  However:

"The use of Apache at an MSN-branded site is reminiscent of Microsoft's
efforts to convert its problematic Hotmail site from Sun servers to
Windows NT servers. With 40 million Hotmail users, the changeover is a
huge undertaking and still is expected to take another two years, a
Microsoft spokesperson said."

This implies that they HAVE TRIED (note the use of 'reminiscent' - a
quick trip to dictionary.com should sort you out if you still don't
understand), so it doesn't really just talk about their plans, now does
it?

> > ZDNet - BSD->NT
> > http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/30/ns-17071.html
>
> This is the story about their only conversion in July of last year, where
> they converted to Win2k.

So, the BSD->NT is the real conversion, while the CNet story of MS's
plans of shifting from Sun machines to NT is made up?  I do hope you
noticed that the articles talk about converting two different operating
systems, both of which Hotmail apparently runs on.

So, does it actually run on Solaris or BSD?  Or does it run on both?

> > That's based on a false premise... MS would be quite capable of fucking
> > up the conversion in just a couple of weeks.  A sane programmer wouldn't
> > attempt it without reading and understanding the source code, but sanity
> > is a bit short in some areas.
>
> Do you really think MS would be that stupid?

History is on my side.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS websites: a tale of total and humiliating failure!
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:24:31 +1300

> Besides, MS doesn't have a huge incentive to migrate these sites since
> they're working right now. They don't have time or money to spend just
> to make morons like you shut up.

Irrespective of whether the guy really is a moron or not (I doubt it), MS
most certainly do have the money to spend to make us shut up, but until
they care more about making their products acceptable than they do about
increasing their megaprofits, I don't think anyone's going to be shutting
up.

------------------------------

From: "Goober" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:14:18 -0000

> Great, so why are you so down on Linux?
I'm not, I use both, and would prefer to use linux, the main reason be that
I would not have to pay for it!
Just for us audio people, good software is limited to windows, so I can't.
:(

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:30:09 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:16:31 -0800, "Keldon Warlord 2000"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > if WindowsXP can handle *my* games, then Emperor Gates can count me in
> > again!
>
> You swap your Voodoo 5500 for the next version (6000?).
>
> You reboot. Instead of "New Hardware Detected" you are greeted with "New
> Configuration Detected. Please Re-register Windows® XP(tm)."
>
> You click on "Yes, I would like to re-register now".
>
> You are greeted with "Sorry, this is not the registered configuration, to
> continue using Windows® XP(tm) please purchase a new licence, $500 please.
> Thank you. Have a nice day."

And of course, we just *KNOW* that since Mafia$oft software is
written to *SUCH* high standards, you won't have to worry about
double-billing to your credit card, or other such errors.

oh no, never....not on your BSOD...

> Peter

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:22:30 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:30:53 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>  I'm not positive what "backported" means, but it's not 2.2 that's
>>
>>Drivers for a new kernel proted to an older kernel.
>>
> Okay, that makes sense.  It just didn't make any sense to me when you
> posted it because the device driver I have isn't for 2.4, it was for
> 2.2.  What I need is a way to "forward-port"?? my device driver so I
> can use it on 2.4.
>       How does installing device drivers work under linux anyway?
> Let's say that I'm running kernel 2.4.2, and I'm fat, dumb, and happy,
> but I have one piece of hardware that isn't supported.  Then the
> hardware company decides to write a device driver to support my hardware
> under kernel 2.4.2.  In what form would they distribute the driver?
> Would it be an installable package, like an RPM?  Or as just a simple
> binary that I would have to work into the kernel files before I compiled
> it?  That is my biggest unanswered question so far--"how do you
> incorporate support for a hardware device into a kernel when the
> hardware isn't supported by the kernel to begin with?"  The only way
> I've done it up to this point is by providing a driver disc during the
> original install of RH 7.0, but that doesn't help me upgrade the kernel
> to 2.4.2 while maintaining the support for the RAID card, since I can't
> use the RH install routine to install any kernel other than
> 2.2.16-22.

Quite simple actually. If your driver is a kernel module, just copy it to
the relevant directory under /lib/modules/<kernelversion>. Then type
'modprobe drivername' and it loads. You don't even have to reboot.
Getting it to load on demand is a bit messier though, you basically have
to edit the /etc/modules.conf file for that. I'll use my network card as
an example: my NIC uses the RealTek 8139 chip and I want the driver to
load automatically when something adresses eth0, so I put the following
line in /etc/modules.conf:
alias eth0      rtl8139
And that's it, the device driver for my NIC loads automatically when
something accesses the network, and it unloads when not necessary.
I believe RH has some utilities to automatically generate the
modules.conf entries, but it can't hurt to just read the manpages for
modprobe and modules.conf.

HTH

Mart
--
Round Numbers are always false.
                -- Samuel Johnson

------------------------------

From: "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I say we BAN "Innovation"
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:40:00 -0500

<snip>

> : ``issues''
>
> : THAT has got to be the most over used term in computing today!
>
> Ah, but what about:
>
> "revolutionary", "solutions" or "enterprise"?
>
> (all of which can be combined into the complete bullshit phrase of:
>  "FooSoft, delivering revolutionary e-commerce solutions for the
>   enterprise!")

There is, also "Plug and Play" which I have seen at CompUSA, emblazoned on
the sides of VCRs, DVD-players, and analog microphones. It even gets used to
describe software (????!!) from time to time. Saw it on a Walmart labeled
version of AOL 6.0..

Also "scaleable" "redundant" "intelligent" "global-ecconomy" "powerful"
"featuring (ie: Featuring Intel <insert flashy name> technology)" "features"
"multimedia" "e"-anything, "availablity" and/or "secure".

Our powerful Plug-N-Play servers built with redundant power-supplies and
processors featuring Intel "suckyourwalletdry" technology provides
intelligent, high-availability multimedia solutions for your enterprise's
secure e-Business needs.

------------------------------

From: "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Breaking into the Unix field: FreeBSD vs Linux (RH7)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:42:19 -0500

> Yup, I just finished downloading the three "CDs" last night (thank GOD for
> Cable!).

I thought that you still needed to fork over $75 for the "media-kit", or is
that just the "media-kit" is the Solaris distrubution itself on CD, with
documentation, and the binaries are completely free to download and burn on
your own?

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: 28 Feb 2001 20:38:51 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
:> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> >In article <971fah$d8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
:> >> Correct. For some reason, best known to the GIMP developers, it ships
:> >> with many different printer drivers.
:> >So there are one set of drivers for CUPS and one set for The Gimp... any
:> >more applications that ship with drivers for printers? Does any of this
:> >sound _wrong_ to anyone?

:> My big complaint against you is that you start whining without doing any
:> RTFM. Guess what, you start up your browser to the Gimp Manual (HTML
:> version), you pick the Index, scroll down to "P" and select "Print".
:> Here's a little snippet of what you see then:

: I'm not "whining" about doing any RTFM. I'm complaining about the fact
: that I configured my Lunux Mandrake system to use one Epson printer
: driver, then The Gimp ignored that and dumped postscript to the printer.

: I'm also rather surprised that any modern OS would still have multiple
: drivers for a printer - this is something the OS should be doing, not
: each application. Now I'm hearing The Gimp doesn't do this - yet it
: overrides the system selected printer instead! DOH!

The OS can't prevent it easily, not without removing useful
functionality.  To make the "print to file for printing raw later"
feature work, there MUST be a way to let applications bypass the
OS's own 'driver' for the printer when printing that dumped file
out later.  Gimp chose to misuse this feature.  The only way to
stop it would have been to not allow 'print to file/print raw later'
to work at all for anybody.

Oh, one question: What happens in Windows if I write a program
to dump random gibberish to the parallel port the printer is
attached to, and totally ignore the print spool and printer
driver?  Does it work?  If so, then Windows has the same "problem".
I'm sure 95/98 let you do it, because you need to allow it for
DOS backward compatability.  I don't know for sure about NT.
The only NT machines I have access to have no directly connected
printers (instead we use HP jetdirect LAN printers).

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:40:39 -0500

"Bryant Charleston, MCSE" wrote:

> If you compose a text document in Star Office 5.2, will it be readable on a
> Windows platform (as a text or Word doc) ? I can't seem to find any FAQs
> that address this issue. Thanks for any help!

Here's a clue:

ONLY Mafia$oft products produce text-files that aren't universally readable.

Since Star Office is not a Mafia$oft product....you can read it's
text output with ANYthing....

even that braindead piece of shit called "notepad"

> Bryant C Charleston
> A+ Network + MCP MCSE (NT4)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Igor Sobrado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 28 Feb 2001 20:41:48 GMT

In alt.solaris.x86 Bryant Charleston, MCSE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you compose a text document in Star Office 5.2, will it be readable on a
> Windows platform (as a text or Word doc) ? I can't seem to find any FAQs
> that address this issue. Thanks for any help!

You will probably have more luck importing and exporting documents
between StarOffice and MS Office than between MS Office and MS Office.

We had no problems importing documents from different releases of
MS Office into StarOffice nor exporting to "it".

Hope this helps!
Igor.

--
Igor Sobrado, UK34436 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:42:22 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Every source that claims that MS tried multiple conversions of Hotmail
> to NT
> > > all reference the same *SINGLE* story published on less than credible
> news
> > > site with "unnamed" sources.
> >
> > Cnet - Sun->NT
> > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-344896.html
>
> This (and it's related links) talk about MS having plans to convert, but not
> actually doing so.
>
> > ZDNet - BSD->NT
> > http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/30/ns-17071.html
>
> This is the story about their only conversion in July of last year, where
> they converted to Win2k.
>
> > True to form with the Microsoft web site, searching for something doesn't
> > turn it up.  Do you have a link to microsoft.com with their most recent
> > official statement?
>
> Same place it's always been.  A search from the main Microsoft page for
> "Hotmail NT" shows the second link as:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/web/news/msnw/Hotmail.asp
>
> Why do you people have such a hard time using search engines?
>
> > > Meanwhile, MS themselves stated specifically that no conversion was ever
> > > attempted.  Further, the claim was that MS tried to convert to NT within
> > > weeks of purchasing Hotmail.  It would have taken them months just to
> > > familiarize themselves with the system enough to even begin such a task,
> let
> > > alone complete and fail within weeks.
> >
> > That's based on a false premise... MS would be quite capable of fucking
> > up the conversion in just a couple of weeks.  A sane programmer wouldn't
> > attempt it without reading and understanding the source code, but sanity
> > is a bit short in some areas.
>
> Do you really think MS would be that stupid?

If, by stupid, you mean incompetant....YES.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: 28 Feb 2001 20:49:23 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: The U.S. government (at least the Democrats) seem to be doing this
: with poor vs rich, black vs white, atheist vs Christian, etc.

The Christians brought that one on themselves by being intolerant
of atheists first.  Oh, and a LOT of atheists are libertarian.
(Not a lot are Republican though.  There used to be more Republican
atheists before the Repubs married themselves to the religious reich.)

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 28 Feb 2001 20:44:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Gerry wrote:
:>
:> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:> > > Duh! I suppose it's because you want to force people to download that
:> > > sorry BS thousands of times over ?
:> >
:> > People are lazy.  If you want people to be aware of something,
:> > then it's necessary to put it in a place where they cannot
:> > avoid finding it.
:>
:> When you say "people are" I think you should put "I am".
:> You are so lazy that instead of dealing with the problem in a mature
:> fashion, you just add another entry to your signature.

: People who are too lazy to hit the "next article" key upon seeing the
: top of a .sig are tooo fucking lazy to click on a URL

Hitting "next article" doesn't save the already-wasted bandwith
the sig is taking up.