Linux-Advocacy Digest #712, Volume #26           Sat, 27 May 00 03:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Installing Linux Mandrake 7.0 ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000 (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: democracy? ("Francis Van Aeken")
  Re: democracy? (Salvador Peralta)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: UNIX Linux only ISP ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000 (Jeremy Crabtree)
  Re: democracy? ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux (Sam)
  Re: Time to prove it's not just words (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com (Eric Bennett)
  Re: Saddest anti-Linux site on the web? (Jacques Guy)
  Re: Tholen invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?)
(tholenbot)
  Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (Eric Bennett)
  Re: Thorne digest, volume 2451691 (tholenbot)
  Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000 (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Joseph)
  Re: There is NO reason to use Linux...It just STINX (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: There is NO reason to use Linux...It just STINX (Pete Goodwin)

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers.
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 01:06:51 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No that is hat you are doing implying, by omission, your usual method,
> that a person can easily set up a printer under Linux but can't answer
> "ok" 4 times to do it under Windows.
>
> Sorry but you are dead wrong here.

Or you are. It was easier to set up my HP Laserjet 6 for Linux
than it was for Windows 95.

> But they can figure out how to install Linux?
> Right. And monkeys can fly.

Could they figure how to install Windows?

> >       Actually, that's application dependent. It's also
> >       PRINTER dependent. This can be annoying sometimes.
> >       The control applet for the HP 8100N is slightly
> >       byzantine.
>
> No it's not. It is driven under Windows. Print anything, from a text
> file to a Lotus Notes document and you get the same box full of nice
> prompts.

But it's still annoying.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 01:11:34 -0400

Matthias Warkus wrote:

<snip>

> The problem with inkjets is that they've got a lot more reciprocating
> mass than dot-matrix printers. They do not only need to move the head,
> but the entire ink tank, too. And because the head itself works
> faster, the head moves faster, too.
>
> I consider the inkjet a technological dead end. I owned an HP DeskJet
> 660C for years and I now run an HP LaserJet IIIp. The inkjet is a 1995
> or 1996 model; the laser was built in 1991 if I recall correctly.
> However, the inkjet is more clumsy in almost all respects, has got
> many more failure modes, vibrates like hell, is much slower...

Tell me about it. The HP 612 inkjet on my desk at work takes several
minutes to print a single black-and-white page of TeX.

> mawa

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux Mandrake 7.0
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 01:22:27 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

<snip>

> You'd be giving up Microsoft Word -- *the* word processor on Windows.
> Maybe.  (There's also Write -- now WordPad, apparently.  Of course,
> Write seems to just be an encapsulation of a Windows widget that
> understands, among other things, OLE/COM.)  Gosh, what a sacrifice,
> especially since TeX does equations better anyway, once one masters
> formatting commands such as $a^2 = b^2 + c^2$, $e^{i\pi} = -1$.
> and
>
> $$
> \eqalign {
> ax^2 + bx + c &= 0 \cr
> x^2 + {{bx}\over a} + {c \over a} &= 0 \cr
> x^2 + {{bx}\over a} &= -{c \over a} \cr
> x^2 + {{bx}\over a} + {{b^2} \over {4a^2} } &= -{c \over a}
> + {{b^2} \over {4a^2} } \cr
> (x + {b \over {2a})^2 &= -{c \over a} + {{b^2} \over {4a^2} } \cr
> &= {{b^2 - 4ac} \over {4a^2}}
> }
> $$ [+]
>
> which looks intimidating, but isn't hard to master for simple
> equations.  It's also easy to work with; if the equation's
> wrong, edit the file in any old text editor.  The vi editor
> works very well with this format, too, because '%' matches
> parenthesis, brackets, and braces.
>
> Obviously, I'm a mathematician. :-)  There's also variants such
> as LaTeX, which allows styles; I'm not up on the details, and
> front ends such as LyX, which eventually feed a TeX backend.

You also have good taste in typesetting. At the risk of starting
a flamewar, can you latex a file inside of vi? You can do it in
emacs.

> You'd be giving up Visual C++, Visual Basic, Visual J++, Visual Foxpro,
> Visual This, Visual That.  I can't say I'd miss them too much, although
> they're snappier than Borland JBuilder. :-)  On the other hand, I
> get the feeling that Borland JBuilder is rock solid -- and I've had
> VC++ crash twice on me.  Now I do use VC++ quite a bit more, but
> crashes don't make me too happy.  Also, J++ is a bit of an exception; it
> is s-l-o-w to bring up for some reason when double-clicking on a .java
> file.
>
> I've also caught the compiler of VC++ 5.0 in at least one peculiar bug.
> Can't remember the details, now, but it was corrupting memory and
> generating bad output.  Hopefully VC++ 6 has fixed it, but how
> do I tell?
>
> (I will grant that Visual Basic, in the hands of an expert, can do
> nice things, for small projects.  Now whether it scales up is
> a matter of some debate.)

What about python?

<snip>

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:15:10 -0400

Quoting Arclight from alt.destroy.microsoft; Fri, 26 May 2000 14:58:23
>On Thu, 25 May 2000 20:31:29 -0400, "Keith T Williams"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>1.    Microsoft office (at least 4.3 and 97) crashes frequently.
>
>I've used 4.3, 95 & 97 and they have never crashed on me.

Thanks for the data point.

>>2.    Microsoft office is full of bugs (at least 4.3 and 97) that's why they
>>issued (for 97) sr1 and sr2.
>
>What bugs would they be then?

Troll.

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: "Francis Van Aeken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: democracy?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 02:32:14 -0300

Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Francis Van Aeken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> -have you bothered to consider sample size and distribution?

Some of the polls are more "scientific" than others, but I agree that
they're just polls, not comparable to a referendum.

> -do you understand the difference between representative democracy
> and mob rule?

I believe we should get rid of the middle-men (the politicians), at least
in the long run. I don't think such a system has to be as crude as mob
rule.

> > Why is it that the opinion of the man in the street doesn't matter (because
> > they're stupid, stupid! (?))

> Noone ever said that. The opinion of the man in the street has both direct
> and indirect outlets. The direct outlet is the ballot box. The indirect
> outlet is through demonstration of some kind- either public, or letter
> writing to one's elected representatives- to let elected folks know what
> sort of policies are likely to be rewarded at the ballot box next time out.

Why not vote on issues, too? Maybe not everybody is well informed
about the issues they have to vote on, but then, not everybody is well
informed about the candidates they vote for either.

> > and why is it that one single person (the judge)
> > is to make the decision? Shouldn't there be at least a panel or a jury?

> Because for a representative system to actually *function*, once an
> official (either elected or appointed) is in position, within certain
> bounds of accountability they should be free to do as they think best.
> It's a bit of a trade-off.

Yes, but in this case a panel would be more reasonable. Well, I suppose
there will be a panel / multiple judges in the higher courts, or am I
mistaken about that?

> Anything else, particularly elected officials basing their "leadership"
> on daily opinion polls, tends to resemble pandering to the mob.
> (Circus & dole, anyone?)

Free entertainment and food? Not bad as a start...

Francis.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 22:28:35 -0700

I can't share your pessimistic worldview, Roy.  While I will not dispute
the power and influence of major corporations on the American political
process, I will point out that class-based politics is considerably more
entrenched throughout europe than it is in the U.S.  Moreover, it is
also easier for a person to raise his or her SES (socio-economic status)
in the U.S. than in most any other country in the world.

You might believe that corporations dominate the U.S. political process,
and to a significant extent it is true, but not all corporations share
the same set of interests, and I feel compelled to mention that
organized labor and special interest groups also have a significant
impact on legislation at all levels in the political process.  This is
not a bad thing.  All of these groups; corporations, SIG's, and
organized labor represent very real, very quantifiable sets of human
interests.

When I said that the U.S. is not a democracy, what I said is true in the
literal sense.  The U.S. is a federal republic.  That doesn't mean that
democratic ideals are not embraced by the political process.

You speak of the American ethos as benefitting no one but corporations
and organized religion.  You speak of people as though they are stupid
and blind.  Sheep.  I regard that to be a very elitist attitude.

While I agree that certain points of view are promoted above others (by
the educational system, media, and religion, for example), to say that
the net result is a public incapable of recognizing its own
self-interest and of performing critical thought is simply wrong.

Self-awareness tends to increase with economic freedom, education, and
leisure time.  Those commodities are becoming more ubiquitous in our
culture, not less.

--
Salvador Peralta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:22:18 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, s@- spake unto us, saying:

>i have been around and i have seen groups of morons in large quantities
>and in close proximity before, but never so many in one place as
>in this newsgroup.

And this is constructive commentary...?

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:13:12 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, s@- spake unto us, saying:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>>>What I find the most amazing thing in this, is that we are aactually
>>>arguing if a bug-tracking system is usefull or not.
>
>>A lot depends on whether the overhead of the system justifies its use.
>>Not all systems are worth the effort in all cases, and I know some folks
>>who are quite unhappy about the overhead involved in some of the more
>>complex commercial change-control systems (as an example).
>
>If you are not happy with the source control system you are using, get
>a better one. The answer is NOT not to use one.

All I'm saying is that it depends on the context.

As an example, I don't use any formal source control at all for the
several utilities that I maintain at my workplace other than a text
file in which I keep a TODO list.  It simply isn't needed for 20000
lines of code that I alone maintain.

>Can you imagine working on 500,000 lines program without source
>control system??

Not something that large, no, at least without strict segmentation of
programmer responsibility (which is itself a form of source control,
at least arguably).

>>How can you toss out meaningful criticisms without knowing the actual
>>process(es) currently being used by the core developers, if any?
>
>Ok, proof us wrong. Since you are into that actual secrete culture of
>the 'core' kernel developers, points us to the bug-tracking system to
>use to report bugs found by users in the OS called Linux.

I am not more than passingly familiar with the kernel lists.

I was just commenting on the fact that you apparently are not either,
and yet you seem perfectly willing to criticize processes that appear
at least based on the end results) to be working quite well.

I find that fact interesting.  I normally analyze a situation at some
length before passing judgement.  :-)

Their development processes can probably be improved, but whining about
it here in this unrelated newsgroup is NOT (IMO) a constructive way to
do it!  I suggest you join the kernel mailing lists and read a while.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
       + VMWare + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
           Docs?  Why look at the Docs?  Nurses are better!  :-)

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UNIX Linux only ISP
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 01:27:54 -0400

Francis Van Aeken wrote:

> Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> > Francis Van Aeken wrote:
> > > Sparc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> > > Good idea! Let's split the world in two parts: those who use only UNIX
> > > or a clone and those who use whatever they feel like using.
>
> > But this fails to be a dichotomy, as some Linux users feel like
> > using Linux.
>
> The dichotomy is as follows: A, those who consider only UNIX and
> B, those who consider other options as well (i.e. who do *not*
> consider only UNIX).

That's not what you originally said, and it is unfair as a criticism of
Linux users. Hey, how many Windows are willing to consider other
OSes, or have even heard of them?

> Francis.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 27 May 2000 05:28:53 GMT

Marc van den Dikkenberg allegedly wrote:
>On Wed, 24 May 2000 22:33:03 -0700, "Bob May" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Roger,
>>>Not a bug, since it does not generically do so.  Must have been
>>>something in the environment.
>>Let me tell you about bugs in Win95 code!  How does going through a
>>computer and replacing parts until the problem stops sound to you?
>>The computer that I am typing this on has had every part changed with
>>different parts (including types) except for the monitor (running in
>
>I hope you reinstalled windows too during the process?
>
>Canhging criticfal parts like the motherboard can cause TONS of problems on
>an existing installation -- even a different revision of the same brand +
>type of motherboard can occasionally completely keeping it from finishing
>booting...

As an interesting data point...when I built my current PC, I didn't have to
even bother telling Linux that the HD and cards are now sitting on a different
motherboard, I simply plugged in the HD and booted up.

(Heck! I didn't have to tell it when I put it on a different HD, simply copied
 it over and installed the bootloader. :-)

--
"The UNIX philosophy is to provide some scraps of metal and an  enormous
 roll of duct tape.  With those -- and possibly  some scraps of your own

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 01:39:44 -0400

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> The U.S. is a federal republic, which is why the preamble to the FEDERAL
> constitution contains the phrase "... and to the REPUBLIC ...".

That's not in the preamble to the US Constitution; it's in the Pledge of
Allegiance.

From: Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 16:01:23 +1000

On Sat, 27 May 2000 04:35:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
Ghost In The Machine) wrote:

<snip>

>The possibilities are nearly limitless.
>
>Just to be even more complicated -- one of the options with RedHat
>at least (and probably other distributions as well) is the ability
>to build the system from source, thereby limiting issues with
>corrupted binaries (accidentally or intentionally).  One allocates
>sufficient disk space, sets up a system, builds, then provides the
>binary packages to other, presumably identically-configured, systems.
>
>Try *that* with Windows! :-)

Why ?

Also, If you have trouble with corrupted binaries then the same
problem will probably occur with source. (accidentally or
intentionally)

Sam

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Time to prove it's not just words
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:56:52 -0400

Quoting Christopher Browne from alt.destroy.microsoft; Thu, 25 May 2000
>>And if you poke around in NT, there is (used to be) a command called
>>something like "setacls".  With no options will show the access control
>>lists for NT objects in a very *NIX-like way.  I actually preferred it
>>over the point-and-click approach because I could do mass changes with
>>just a few lines in a script.  No trivial matter when you have thousands
>>of users.  Hope MSFT haven't taken that away....

I found a command "cacls".  Thanks for the tip!

===========
C:\>cacls
Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files

CACLS filename [/T] [/E] [/C] [/G user:perm] [/R user [...]]
               [/P user:perm [...]] [/D user [...]]
   filename      Displays ACLs.
   /T            Changes ACLs of specified files in
                 the current directory and all subdirectories.
   /E            Edit ACL instead of replacing it.
   /C            Continue on access denied errors.
   /G user:perm  Grant specified user access rights.
                 Perm can be: R  Read
                              C  Change (write)
                              F  Full control
   /R user       Revoke specified user's access rights (only valid with
/E).
   /P user:perm  Replace specified user's access rights.
                 Perm can be: N  None
                              R  Read
                              C  Change (write)
                              F  Full control
   /D user       Deny specified user access.
Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command.
You can specify more than one user in a command.

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 02:20:10 -0400

In article <ihGX4.6337$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brad"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Windows 98:
> Well, this has to get covered as it's the most widely used desktop OS in
> the
> world sadly enough.  The Big Mac is probably the world's best selling
> hamburger but probably not the world's best burger <grin>.  Win98 is the
> big
> mac of OSes. It gets the job done for most people but not much else.

I don't know much of what the OS/2 and Linux folks see, but as for what
goes on in comp.sys.mac.advocacy, it seems all the Microsoft advocates
have pretty much given up trying to make arguments that Windows 98 is
worth using.  All we really heard about in csma, for a fairly long
period before W2K came out, was NT.  And now all we really here about
from the Windows folks is Win2k.

Maybe Windows ME will change that?  ;-)

--
Eric Bennett ( http://www.pobox.com/~ericb/ )
Cornell University / Chemistry & Chemical Biology

"They should commence by beating their employees."
-Microsoft Spokesman Adam Sohn, in a failed attempt to be funny, after being
 asked how companies should respond to the Love Bug threat

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 06:18:50 -0700
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Saddest anti-Linux site on the web?

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

> Just take a look at this site, it is clearly the saddest anti-Linux
> site on the web, made by a 14 year old spotty geek:
>
> http://www.startnet-uk.com

Does he really think that will be enough to win the privilege
of licking the cream pie off Billy's mug? 'ave a 'eart, fellows,
send him a cream pie!

------------------------------

From: tholenbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tholen invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save
It?)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 02:23:26 -0400

In article <8gn2pb$65$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, EdWIN

>   Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Seeing things that aren't there again, Tholen?
>
> Posting for entertainment purposes again, eh Malloy?

Having attribution problems again EdWIN?  Typical.

--
On what basis do you claim "this is the end, my only friend, the end"?

------------------------------

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 02:25:27 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Spelling Camp. ;)
>
> How ironic, coming from the person who recently wrote:
> "Now it's time for Microsoft to puck blood."

"puck blood" is a comp.sys.mac.advocacy inside joke.  He spelled it
correctly.

From: tholenbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Thorne digest, volume 2451691
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 02:28:00 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ZnU
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Mike"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Jeeezus!  I guess the OS/2 groups must be dead as the Tholen crap
> > has moved over here. Do you suppose you Tholen folks could consider
> > jumping on the BeOS bandwagon and taking your crap over there?
> >
> > Or....you could all find hobbies.
>
> I move for the creation of an alt.emulation.tholen.

Why?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:50:02 -0400

Quoting Jeremy Crabtree from alt.destroy.microsoft; 27 May 2000 05:28:53
>As an interesting data point...when I built my current PC, I didn't
have to
>even bother telling Linux that the HD and cards are now sitting on a different
>motherboard, I simply plugged in the HD and booted up.
>
>(Heck! I didn't have to tell it when I put it on a different HD, simply copied
> it over and installed the bootloader. :-)

I've never understood why Windows seems to care about the details of the
motherboard, given the whole concept of the PC architecture.  Isn't
that, as well as the hard drive, the purpose of a BIOS?

Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:06:08 -0400
From: Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Thus 32bit consumer Windows with a reasonable desktop shell in
> > 1995 rather than 1985.
> >
> > Prior to August 1995, the 'market leader' was still subjecting fools
> > like you to DOS, yes that's MS-DOS, 10 YEARS after the introduction of the
> > Macintosh and the 386.
>
> My understanding is that Microsoft had several contractual limitations on
> them in regards to creating an OS too similar to the Macintosh.

Windows 1.0 was MS's best effort.  There were no contractual limitations
barring MS from doing a better job or paralleling Apple's Mac in
functionality.  MS simply didn't have the brains or talent to do any
better.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: There is NO reason to use Linux...It just STINX
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 07:05:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>     Unless you are actually running one the other or both, your
>system isn't being burdened by them.

I let Linux Mandrake 7.0 install everything... why not? On a 15GByte drive,
there's plenty of space! At first I thought having Gnome (the desktop)
installed was unnecessary waste, but what you're saying is I only need
specific bits of Gnome... the only snag is that it does look a little
different from other KDE apps.

>>>Doesn't ghostscript take -r1440x720 as an argument?
>>
>>How does that help me?
>
>     Ghostscript is typically what translates the defacto standard
>Linux/Unix page layout language into something a particular printer
>will understand.

If I select File | Print in a GUI application, am I given the opertunity of
selecting what you say? I've not tried this yet.

Pete

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 07:06:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote in
<8gmo64$171o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>The 1520 is in a P166 box, the AHA2940 is in the PII-400MHz.
>
>Is there a feature the 1520 has that the driver doesn't handle?

The 1520 has a BIOS, which I thought meant Linux could auto detect it.
Apparently not.

Pete