  Re: Exploit devastates WinNT/2K security (Matthew Gardiner)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: What is 99 percent of copyright law? was Re: Richard Stallman
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:38:28 GMT

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:17:03 GMT, Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 04:11:07 GMT, Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Try to find the history of why it was necessary for RIPEM to
>>>duplicate the gmp library as fgmp in order to release their
>>>work without distribution restrictions.   The only thing that
>>
>>The RIPEM authors did that to make FSF happy.  They didn't *have* to do
>>it to satisfy any legal requirements for distribution of their code, so
>>it was not "necessary".
>
>Since it never went to court, we don't really know whether it was legally
>necessary or not.

I think both of you are using a definition of "necessary" far more
stringent than the original poster intended.   I don't believe the
FSF was bluffing when they suggested that they were willing to sue
over the issue, so assuming that the author of RIPEM didn't wanted
to be sued over something he was distributing for free, as source,
with as few restrictions as he could legally impose, finding a way to
accomodate the FSF's position was necessary.

If you want to be really pedantic about things, the author had a
number of options.  He could have just decided to stop distributing
RIPEM, so there was no necessity at all.

Isaac

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:07:07 -0700

Bill, he knows little about most things.  I already have put him into the
ignorant category.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:CoMD6.147$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:18:41 GMT

In article <9bnm94$abm8o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > No.  Microsoft bought QDOS from Seattle Computer Products in 1980 and,
> > with IBM's help, used it as the starting point to create MS-DOS which
> > IBM sold under the name IBM-DOS.  This is why IBM had to Microsoft a
> > royalty on each copy sold.
> >

> Seattle Computer Products QDOS was designed as a clone of CPM from the mid
> 70's which in turn was designed as a unix look&feel system for
> microcomputers (at the time only minicomputers and mainframes were powerful
> enough to run real unix) so in a way DOS is derived from late 60's to early
> 70's UNIX, hence the similarity of many shell commands.

If you looked I believe you would see a much closer simularity between
CP/M and the DEC operating system TOPS-10 (at least for the CLI
commands) than UNIX.  Command names like COPY, PIP, etc. were exactly
the same.  Under the covers I doubt there's any discernable simularity
between CP/M and either TOPS-10 or UNIX.

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendation for web email
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:20:52 GMT

I believe  linuxmail.org is run on IIS. As for the service, it's not too bad
except for the fact that it doesn't load correctly on NN 4.7x under linux.

news:9bnkb8$a2djb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:22:26 GMT

If you work on something for two hours on any system and don't save it every
few minutes you're getting your due.

news:9bnkg3$a8qhr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kuklis Arrested!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:27:49 GMT

"Public " wrote:

> I think the following explains why Usenet has been without Kuklis the last couple
> of days:
>
> April 17, 2001 22:12:30 - Associated Press
>
> Royal Oak, Michigan - A man was arrested on Monday at a local CompUSA store after
> causing a disturbance and threatening store employees.  Police were called to the
> scene shortly after 5PM after the store manager called 911 and reported the they
> had a hostile customer who was threatening and hysterical.  Police arrived on the
> scene and discovered the suspect, identified as Aaron Kuklis, screaming at the top
>of his
> lungs.  The man was allegedly became irrate shortly after entering the store and
> discovering that CompuUSA was no longer carrying the Windows 98 Operating System.
>
> Police booked Mr. Kuklis into the county detention center on public nuisance charges.
>
> ---
> This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
> It was posted with the use of anonymizing software at
> http://anon.xg.nu
> ---

ROFL!

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:53:12 +1200

<snype>

> Is Kylix expensive?
In New Zealand Dollars it isn't, however, depending on the tax rules in
the UK, it might work out quite cheap to buy a copy.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:55:18 +1200

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >>
> >> Give the memory test ago, should only take around 30 minutes.  oh, btw,
> >> I couldn't be bothered upgrading to KDE 2.1, maybe that could be the
> >> problem?
> >>
> > Yet no reply for 2 days. hmm, Pete is suffering from the typical luser
> > syndrom called "It ain't fucking work'in, but I won't do anything about
> > it".  I offer a suggest, but no, that would mean that his problem is
> > solve, thus, nothing to bitch about, and as a result, poor old Pete
> > would have nothing to bitch about.
>
> As PG has stated on numerous occasions he isn't looking for help. He
> just wants to point out how crap any Linux distribution is. The problems
> are clearly somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.
Oh, the whole world owes me a living crossed with the, its everyone
elses fault except my own syndrom.  Very typical in Windows programmers,
esp those who have never done real programming, and instead rely on the
old point and click application construction.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:59:03 +1200

MH wrote:

> I believe  linuxmail.org is run on IIS. As for the service, it's not too bad
> except for the fact that it doesn't load correctly on NN 4.7x under linux.

The site linuxmail.org is running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21 on
Linux.

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:21:12 +1200

JS PL wrote:

> As hard as it may be to believe, even in Washington, price and quality have
> some value. When a reporter asked why her agency uses Microsoft products,
> Reno explained that her procurement policy is to "buy the best equipment
> possible at the lowest price possible to benefit the American taxpayers."
>
> That's quite a concession. The purpose of American anti-trust law is not to
> prop up corporations that are losing market share, but to protect consumers.
> If Windows is the "best" available operating system at the "lowest possible
> price," it's hard to see what good it does Microsoft customers to split the
> company in half.

What has that got to do with Linux in the larger picture.  Thats the US!
the US has more money than you could poke a stick at, hence, they don't
give a shit whether they have to upgrade software every year just to
ensure maximum reliability.

However, in the real world, such as in New Zealand, where the government
departments are corporitised, hence, run like corporations, they are
required to show a surplus, and efficiency gains to the Crown at the end
of each financial year. The CEO has a three year contract and must
perform to continue to be the head of the department.  That is why so
many have either moved or stayed with UNIX/Linux. WINZ (Work and Income
New Zealand) use UNISYS mainframe loaded with UnixWare, and several
clusters of HP servers running HP-UX.  Tax department uses AIX.  The
NZSE (New Zealand Stock Exchange) uses s/400 for mainjor, mission
critical work, and uses Linux to carry out email etc that aren't mission
critical, however, once Linux has proved itself they intend to
incorporate more into the main computer setup.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:27:32 +1200

"B. R. Ivy" wrote:

> Does anyone out there think that Red Hat is moving towards a proprietory OS?
> I really appreciated the way that RH 7.0 installed but it almost seemed too
> slick.  And now they want to bundle in the way too pretty Nautilus GUI with
> 7.1.   I'd hate to wake up five years from now with another Microsoft on the
> horizon. Ideas? Opinions?
>
> Randall Ivy

The difference is that there are alternatives, such as SuSE Linux, and
Mandrake.  I find it rather humourous that Sepo's don't know any
products made outside the US.  Mention the words SuSE, SAP or Baan and
you get blank faces, mention software such as Jade and there is even
more blank faces. What the heck is wrong with people? Its like during
the 70s, the quality of US cars were going further down hill, whilst the
Japanese made cars were superior and cheaper, yet, no sepo's bought
them. Is that xenaphobia at the extreme?

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why linux is good and a complaint about RedHat
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:29:28 +1200

Edward Rosten wrote:

> I have yet another complaint about Redhat Linux, specfically RH7.
>
> The problem is with the X session and login X init scripts. Esentially,
> they are a nasty kludge on the RH5.2 scripts which were in them selves
> pretty messy to start with.
>
> Esentially, if you choose an option from the menu for which desktop you
> want it does not remember that option. You can put some stuff in a
> ~/.Xsession and use default but then it still won't remember what you
> chose.
>
> There is a place from the old (RH5) scripts that lets you choose a
> default: the .wm_style file, but that is only accessed if, firstly you
> choose default (that's fine, but the non default options do not write to
> it) and if there is no system default desktop. So the system preferences
> come first making the user ones useless. And even if you got far enough
> to get the .wm_style file read, it is not aboe to choose Gnome or Kde or
> a custom .xinit file.
>
> Also each desktom/windowmanager cn be loaded at about 5 or 6 different
> points in at least 3 scripts, which makes altering that a pain in the
> neck.
>
> I haven't actually managed to make it sound quite as twisted as it is,
> but you get the idea.
>
> Anyway, that is my complaint about Redhat.
>
> This also clearly highlights a big plus with UNIX/Linux. So, redhat
> screwed up a bit here. But that doesn't matter because I was able to
> configure it so that now it all works properly so that not only do the
> user preferences come first but they will be remembered as well, which is
> exactly how I wanted it. The only problem is that I haven't spent very
> long on it so its still a little kludgy.
>
> Here's the other good point:
>
> Instead of whinging, when I have time (about 2 days should do) I will
> write the scripts so that they work in a nice, clean, non kludgy way (I
> have some fairly large chunks of it done) and donate tham back to the
> community so everyone can benefit.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> I spillced coffcee cincto my kcey boardc.c As a rcesulct, c's gcet
> inctermixcced with cwactever I ctypce. Plcease replace mcy kceyboard.
> ccthanks.
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

Have you tried SuSE Linux?

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:32:20 -0400

silverback wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:31:34 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Mathew wrote:

>control of

>fucking moron.

> >> Oh Capitalist have murdered their onw population as well.
                        ^^^^^^^^

> >MURDERED?  Millions of their own populace? really?
> >
> >Do tell.
> >
> >Accuracy counts, so be precise.
> >

> sure 100K killed on the job yearly

Oh...and does this include CEO's who die on the job?

That's not *MURDER*, you donkey-raping, shit-eating twit.

By the way, how many people were *forced* at gun-point to
work at these jobs?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:35:39 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charles Lyttle
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:33:15 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Greg Cox wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> The version of the story I heard was that the first ship of a new class
> >> of Navy ship was out testing a new ship's control system programmed
> >> using a custom database running on NT4 and the DB software crashed, not
> >> NT.  I believe the story goes that the captain said in his report that
> >> the DB software crashed a couple of times and was successfully restarted
> >> but the ship was towed in on the third crash with the system left in its
> >> crashed state for later analysis by the developers...
> >>
> >> --
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Essentially the version that was posted here. The DB crash, iirc, was
> >due to the cook entering too many items in a dinner menu. This crashed
> >the DB, the DB took down NT. It got restarted without anyone knowing why
> >it crashed, the cook did it again. When it crashed, it took out
> >propulsion. On the third try, the Captain decided to call for a tow
> >until the problem could be solved.
> >
> >One joke was that it should be intuitive that entering 4 entrees in the
> >dinner menu will shutdown the ships propulsion. The Navy fixed the
> >problem by making a new regulation prohibiting more than 3 entrees at a
> >meal.
>
> Oh man...what a way to solve a problem!
>
> I hadn't been aware that it was the cook putting in too many entrees
> that was causing the database to crash.  Reminds me of the old song
> (poem?) about the lack of a horse's shoenail causing loss of a battle...
>
> OTOH, a database crashes when it will -- one hopes very infrequently,
> but how does one specify that a DB will crash when, say, a scratch page
> fills up and gets flushed out to a disk that's already full?
> One also hopes that next time the Navy designs a slightly more robust
> system that won't go down every time the DB server decides to powder
> its nose.
>
> (One would also think that the propulsion DB system and the cook's
> DB system were on different systems.  Like the cooks' DB system is
> ultra-critical to ship's operation -- he could write things down on
> index cards or paper notebooks if he had to.  Note quite as convenient
> of course, but certainly not life-threatening.)

A lot of military cooks aren't the brightest individuals.

In the army, those who aren't smart enough to be riflemen are sent
away to be a cook.

Mind you there smart cooks in the army...but they have to put up with
a disproportionate number of idiots.

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       1d:23h:40m actually running Linux.
>                     The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Exploit devastates WinNT/2K security
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:38:16 +1200

Roy Culley wrote:

> Here's a snippet:
>
> "However, if for some reason it's necessary for you to use the many thrilling
>  features of Windows networking without NTLMv2, then there is absolutely
>  nothing you can do but pray."

Microsoft love re-inventing the wheel over and over again.  There was a
perfectly adequate file sharing protocol, called NFS which all UNIX's
had, from IRIX to Solaris, you were guaranteed that they could
inter-operate, but no, Microsoft had to be different, and now they are
facing the consequences for their arrogance. Do I have any sorrow for
those who went down the NT track? hell no.  I personally could not give
a shit and hope that they get their machines hacked to pieces by a 10
year old script kiddie, whilst the real work, yet again, is done by
servers running UNIX, using standard compliant file sharing protocols
developed over decades of work.

Matthew Gardiner