From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux Losers
Date: 28 May 2000 14:14:53 +0800

On Sat, 27 May 2000 19:34:15 GMT, The Truth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You people are a bunch of losers.
>
>Each day millions of people use Microsoft product and are glad to do
>so.  They send e-mails to their friends and lovers with happy messages
>and delightful attachments.
Delightful virii, that destroy their hard drive data you mean?

>You Linux losers preach that all this should be stopped because one of
>your low life counterparts writes a stupid virus.  I'm sure these
>individuals do this from within the solitude of their lives driven
>only by spite.  Much akin to the sad individuals who advocate Linux.
No not much akin to anything except those people with too much time on their
hands, and nothing to contribute, people like you.

>Only pathetic computer geeks use Linux.  Ugly stupid people who are
>shunned by society use Linux.
Hahahah, get a life moron,

>Trendy happy people who laugh with their friends at popular
>restaurants use Microsoft products.
Oh what a travelogue, sadly its not true. Theyre not laffing, but crying over
lost data and the cost of endless upgrades.

>Sad, poxy-faced perpetually virgin males use Linux.
Looking in the mirror again are we ?

>These are the facts.  And you sad embittered individuals know this.
They are *your* facts, your description is of yourself.

>The only way you pathetic people can gain any self-esteem is to force
>yourselves to use a system that most people who have better ways to
>spend their time regard as an esoteric oddity.
I've always had heaps of self esteem, bet you hate that too ?

>Crawl back into you isolated holes and stop bothering those of us who
>are happy to have lives that don't revolve around building kernels and
>waiting for patches.

You're the one posting to COLA, Wintroll, try another approach to vent your
spleen, I'm not impressed.

Your Troll score is 0.5 out of 100, you fail ... badly.

Kind Regards
Terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 20:28:16 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Lennart Gahm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >It's looking more and more like the judge is burying himself.  Denying MS
>> >the time to review the governments proposed remedies shocked most of the
>> >legal by-standers (including the DOJ, which expected the judge to give MS
>> >the time).  Due process may have been compromised, and will certainly
>give
>> >them a lot more firepower in the appeals process.
>>
>> Can you provide any URL that shows that "most of the legal by-standers"
>> (whatever that means) and the DOJ was chocked over the Microsofts 48hours
>and
>> DOJs only 24hours?
>> In what way has the process been compromised by the judge?

>Do you even read things about the trial?

>Just a random URL:

>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-1948724.html

>"The pronouncement stunned both sides and stirred a flurry of last-minute
>activity from Microsoft's lawyers."

Maybe they were just as stupid as gates!

>and

>"The question is whether Jackson denied Microsoft due process by preventing a
>longer examination of the government's remedy proposal. University of
>Baltimore Law School professor Bob Lande agreed "Microsoft could have a good
>due process claim." "

The only way M$ can argue they need months to figure out what would happen if
they are broken up, and respond to it, is to claim that they don't have a clue
about how their company works.  Rephrased, and manager worth a warm shit could
define and document the problems and effects in a few weeks.

>> How do You think that the US appeal court will interpret that Microsoft
>faked
>> evidence, "didnt remember", deaning that letters meant what was written
>and
>> so on?

>First of all, Gates deposition isn't counted as an actual witness since the
>DOJ didn't put him on the stands.  This will also look bad for the government
>in that they cheated the process and used the taped deposition to try and
>squeak in another witness.  The so called "faked" evidence wasn't faked, but
>dramatized.  MS proved that the evidence put forth in the tape was correct,
>even if the tape itself was scripted.

Was it given under oath?  If so it counts.

>> I strongly doubt that an appeal court in any country would be impressed by
>> Microsofts defence, and if so, if Microsoft loses because of their bad
>> strategy in a lower court they should probely not count on any sympathy
>from
>> the judges in the appeal court.

>MS's defense is not really all that important to the appeals court.  What's
>important is that the original trial was fair and by the book.

Funny, M$ in their most recent assertions didn't argue that the trial wasn't
fair -- they argued that the nation and the consumer would face economic harm
if they were broken up.

Get use the idea of M$ 1 and M$ 2, because its coming. -- and I can't wait to
see what pole you rotate and whine on then.

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:20:25 +0100

Richard Steiner wrote:

> Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> spake unto us, saying:
>
> >Personally, I use source control for practically everything I do. If for
> >no other reason, because when I'm finished a set of changes, I can
> >compare them to the previous version and make sure I didn't leave in any
> >debugging code, etc.
>
> It's easy to do that using a file comparison utility.  :-)

Of course, if you manually keep old versions around, naming them in a
way that lets you retrieve them easily to run the differ on. Whereas,
with VC, I can see what I've changed with a couple of keystrokes in
Emacs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Barbara Reuter)
Subject: Re: What's wrong with StarOffice
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:22:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Star office if about OK for what it does. Some of you claim it's bloated
>or slow, others think it's OK for processing simple stuff, but I've

The one thing that's "right" about StarOffice is that it's
free.

Other than that, (now comparing it to M$ Office 2000)
it is indeed a bit slow, but not anything serious.  What deadly
seriously wrong with StarOffice is the complete lack for
anti-aliased fonts!!!  I know this is actually a Linux problem, but
I just wish that Postscript (or even TrueType) would work
on Linux.  Maybe there is someone already working on a
Linux solution for lack of polygonal fonts -- like a Postscript
clone of ATM or a whole new typeface technology (i.e. -- not
Postscript O TrueType).

~BR~

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Barbara Reuter)
Subject: Re: PLAN9 O/S - - Upcoming Linux Competition ? ? ?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:29:40 GMT

In article <8gp5ll$20h0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
>> Well maybe not that new, but this interview I read back around
>> January with Ritchie (or was it Kernigan) -- one of those UNIX / C
>> grandaddies... was all bent out of shape about how Linux has
>> developed over time.  It seems he mentioned "lack of focus" and
>> "anarchy" a well as a few other dispariging remarks towards Linux,
>> like "old technology all over again".  He also mentioned working
>> on an operating system technology for some time now that will be
>> (or is) going to be released sometime in the near future called
>> Plan9.

Yes, I read that article too.  It was an interview of Ritchie at
either ZD-Net or Infoworld.

>> Was this all a bunch hogwash?
>
>Yes.  Plan 9 was all but abandoned quite a number of years ago.
>Lucent recently canned a related project; Inferno.
>
>Plan 9 was an amazing operating system in its time, but even if
>it could be resurrected today it would be no match for the
>UNIXy competition.  It would be kind of like suddenly coming up
>with a working verion of the old Amiga Workbench system and
>expecting it to be able to compete with windows.

I believe in the interview that Ritchie said work was continuing
on the Plan 9 operating system.

~BR~

comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Winmodems )Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:44:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner) writes:

> Reasonable?! Internal modem is next worst thing to winmodem.

But on the plus side, they don't require the purchase of a separate
serial card for high-speed communication.  And they don't take up more
space, need a serial cable, or another power line.

> Modem should be a separate box, attached to the com port with cable.
> Most important thing in this setup are leds and its independent power
> swithch. I don't know how it looks in the West, but here in Russia it is
> qute possible that modem would hang on noisy line and only
> power-cycling would revive it. How'd you power-cycle internal modem?

Dunno.  It's never happened to me.  I can't imagine it's because our
phone lines are better, because they're so bad that it's easier to
replace them than fix them.  Maybe our modems are better-designed?

Problem is, serial ports are almost as overused as parallel ports.  I
can think of five devices off the top of my head - still being made,
by the way - that require a serial port.  Hopefully these problems
will be solved by USB, but I'm not holding my breath.

> Only thing that I don't like about external modem is that they require
> something other than 5V DC or 12V DC. (typically 12V AC).  If they need
> some voltage, which I could get from the main power supply of machine,
> I'd be able to get rid of those power supply units.

You mean the transformers?  Granted, they are annoying, but - over
here, at least - there's no 5/12VDC power jack on the outside of our
computers.  So we wouldn't have anyplace to plug the modem in.

[drivers etc]

> No, not at all. You need a bunch of driver diskettest to make _windows_
> _think_ your modem works.
> Using Dos terminal program like Telix or self-written Tcl script you
> could make your modem working immediately without any  drivers.

Problem is, brilliant PnP devices will try to assign themselves
unusual IRQs.  (Which would be a good idea if not for the fact that
serial ports didn't work that way 'til PnP.)  And Amazing Windows
will change *every single IRQ in your system* (sometimes) to
accomodate a new device.

[one should never "install" a modem]

> Why? You don't consider unscrewing case, finding ISA slot, fiddling with
> IRQ-s "installing"? It can turn into half an hour of downtime.

Yep.  And PCI modems are stupid.  (Remind me why we need all that
bus bandwidth for something that will never pass 56Kb/s?)

> External modems are ones whose installation doesn't interrupt system
> operation. You bring in from shop, you connect it, you turn it on, and
> other users of your machine do their work in the same time.

I'll spare you a bad joke on interrupts.

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
        - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Installing Linux Mandrake 7.0
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:03:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8gpffl$qis$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8gmpjq$94q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> >No  i was not in denial... and he just admitted that the problem was
>> >his own error by installing linx4win and not a real install of
>> >Mandrake.
>>
>> You said you didn't believe me. I mean, I made the assumption that
>> lnx4win works - how was I supposed to know that it doesn't? Isn't it a
>> version of Linux after all?
>
>Beause you didnt Read The Fucking manual.. i think README file
>for both RedHat and Mandrake installations tells you what to do.. at
>least i remenber reading it in some file in the CD's root directory

What you mean I have to actually READ something! I can't just install and
go? You do realise with Windows I've never read any of the manuals, yet I
do installs all the time!

I'll go and check the README file for lnx4win and see if it mentions the
problems I found:

i) Time zone screwed up
ii) 64MByte limit
iii) Broken sound
iv) Broken network

However, I have a feeling it won't tell me anything useful.

Pete

------------------------------

Subject: The Linux Fortress
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:09:49 GMT

I want to setup my old PC to be a Linux file server. It needs to support
SMB. My new PC will be dual bootable, and run Windows 98 SE and Linux.

It took me a while to get Samba to work. I found I could see the Windows
shares from Linux but not vice versa. Yet, from Linux, I could see Linux
shares.

After reading the documentation, and scanning through the smb.conf file I
came across the encrypted password setting. smb.conf points to files I was
unable to find, so I tried encrypted anyway, and it worked.

The help on the Samba server in the GUI is basically one _long_ document.
Boy is that a pain to use!

Now, the GUI that configures the Samba server is the kind I'd call
advanced. What is missing is the simple configuration for those of us who
want to "set it up and forget it". This is where Windows scores, and Linux
is still lagging behind.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:24:42 GMT

On 26 May 2000 07:20:43 -0700, s@- <s@-> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>>>Communication between interested party about the specific bug is done
>>>via this system. This way, all communications, information, and
>>>final resolution is kept in one centralized place for ever and is
>>>not lost.
>

>>This sounds quite a bit like the kernel mailing list.
>
>wholly cow. another idiot.

If this is how you act out in the real world I feel sorry for you.  Grow up.

>this is like saying a text file is just like a relational database becuase
>you can use both to store data in them.

No

>i have been around and i have seen groups of morons in large quantities
>and in close proximity before, but never so many in one place as
>in this newsgroup.

And so you thought you'd add to the problem?

--
Ray

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:08:18 -0700
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Barbara Reuter wrote:

[snip]

I suspect you've been had. "Plan 9 From Outer Space" is
the title of a cult movie, the worst movie ever made, its
fans hold. So Plan 9 O/S, where O/S stands, I guess, not
for "Operating System" but for "Outer Space", well...?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst von Brand)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 28 May 2000 09:17:05 GMT

On 24 May 2000 12:19:37 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

[...]

>>Once you use an
>>'enhanced' feature, you are tied to a non-free Microsquish library.
>>You are at the mercy of Microsquish.  If the code is at least LGPL,
>>then the library code is still going to be free.  Microsquish must
>>make its changes available as source.

>Unlikely.  In the former case you will at least have working,
>well tested code as the base and we won't have to deal with
>a worse alternative.  If the base code is not usable in a
>proprietary product, the alternative is to re-invent it, usually
>badly.  Imagine where we would be if every vendor including
>tcp/ip had re-written it from scratch because the bsd version
>could not have been used.  Microsoft and Linux both went this
>route even though it wasn't required, and the world has gone
>through several years of pain as a result shaking out bugs
>that we really didn't need in the first place.

As I remember it, the BSD TCP/IP code was being threatened by the AT&T
lawsuit at the time. When that cleared up, Linux' TCP/IP was good enough,
and to hack the BSD code into Linux would have meant greater pain.
--
Horst von Brand                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: KDE is better than Gnome
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 09:57:46 GMT

In article <Ww3S4.869$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "none2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> one thing i hate about KDE is that
>  (a) it looks likes windows
>  (b) gnome doesnt
>
> even KDE2, is going down the path of intregated www browser in file
> manager tool,too all those KDE users who want Windows type interface, how
> about.. run windows? I Installed linux to get away from windows, not to
> see another wannbe windows interface. KDE is a toy. QT sucks as a widget
> looks bland, and licensing issues make it undesirable to use.
>
> btw I run Windowmaker/Gnome, and it looks *nothin* like windows.
>
> linux and damn proud of it.

I'm using KDE Web browser 1.1.2 or whatever, see my message header to verify
it.  I don't like GNOME because it's annoys me frequencly sliding as auto
hide, not for KDE.  I've customized KDE panels, shortcuts, almost M$ Windows
look alike.  I'm proud of it.