From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:24:08 GMT

"Swangoremovemee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:35:01 GMT, "Les Mikesell"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >You said it didn't support USB.   If you loaded a version that does,
> >then why did you lie about it?
>
> You really DO HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO READ Les.
>
> This is the second time.
>
> I never said it didn't SUPPORT USB, I said NONE OF MY DEVICES WORKED.
>
> Please, learn how to read before you post erroneously.
>
> Swango

Why are you blaming Linux for devices that don't work?

> >I take it you own a lot of MS stock and are worried?
>
> I don't own any stock.
>
> Swango

Then why do you think anyone cares if your choice of
devices keeps you hopelessly locked into a monopolistic
vendor's operating systems?

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:29:36 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ZzPX5.3224$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:f4KX5.9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > From what I've read here, some people seem to be running completely
> > different versions of Windows to anything I've ever come across. MY
> Win98SE
> > does exactly what Jerry says w/r to the registry. MY Win98SE install
prog
> > formats the Windows partition if it finds a FAT32 partition with no
> > filesystem actually written to it, regardless of what I want it to do.
>
> You're making no sense here.  In order for a partition to be FAT32, it
must
> have a filesystem since FAT32 *IS* a filesystem.  If there's no
filesystem,
> it's unformated and has no type.

I think he means a dos type partition that was created with fdisk but
currently unused.   And I think this is correct, but I don't have a system
handy to test.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:34:58 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

>> From what I understand, the UDMA 100 card mentioned in the original
>> post is one of those PCI add in cards,
>

> The OP was from me... and no, it's not a card; it's the controller built
> into the motherboard.  One of the controllers, actually; it has both a 100
> and a 66/IDE controller.

So, in a nutshell, it is a motherboard with 2 IDE controllers that are
UDMA 100. correct?  If so, UDMA 100 controllers are backwards compatible
to 66/33 UDMA.  Linux, currently supports UDMA up to 66 (can still use
an UDMA 100 controller, however, it is not optimised for it), however,
it is an urban myth that UDMA 100 gives better HDD performance than UDMA
66/33 as the speed depends on factors outside the specs of the
controller, such as the rotation speed of the disk, the size of the
buffer, internal transfer rate and the speed of the CPU (as IDE
controllers are very CPU hungry, hence, the reason why most power users
prefer SCSI).

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:35:20 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:xPTX5.25393$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> > The big question is why does Windows have a registry? Look as BeOS for
> > example, no extensions or registry, everything recognised via
mimetyping.

> The registry was invented partly to get rid of INI files. These were
> cluttering up the system, eating vast amounts of disk space, despite them
> being small (FAT16 has a large cluster size for bigger disks). Also the
> registry gives a hierarchical storage of data of configuration information
> for applications.

In other words, they sold you a filesystem that wasn't suitable for
storing data, and rather than fix it, they invented a new and different
way to store their own data.

> Of course, put all configuration in one place has some advantages and
> disadvantages. The advantage - you can back it up - the disadvantage, if a
> part of it goes, the whole system goes... oops!

The other disadvantage: none of your usual tools can manipulate it.  Of
course windows users aren't used to having decent tools for automation
anyway so most don't understand the loss - at least until they have to
pay for some special package to do it.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:38:12 +1300

<snip>

I bought a USB Zip100 Drive and an Ontream ADR Tape Drive, installed
both under windows 98SE, everytime I removed the Zip100 USB Drive - Blue
screen of death.  Shut down the computer - freeze.  Maybe I should have
installed two versions of Windows 98SE on two different partitions, one
for the USB Zip Drive and the other for my Onstream ADR Tape Drive :).

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Robert A. Adkins II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:41:07 GMT

Wow buddy...
   Before I go any further, I should let you know that I am a computer
technician that spends all day performing diagnostics and repair on enumorous
Windows based computer systems that go through my shop on a daily basis. At
home I am what could be called a power user. I ususally have more than a few
applications open at once on my machine and after playing a few games, running
a few applications I notice that my Systems resources end up getting chewed up.
Currently they are at 73% This is of course with only one application open at
this time. When I booted my machine and opened up this application nearly a few
hours ago my computer was at 96% resources free. Now, I know that if I just
turned on my computer and let Windows do its thing It would run for more than a
few days without any problem. But, seeing that perform many tasks I sometimes
need to reboot my machine once or twice durring a 12 hour day that I am at home
working on my machine. Of course I can do the same thing with my Linux server
and workstation and not have their resources get chewed up or even need to
reboot my machine.

  Basically I like Linux for its stability, I also like Windows for its
Nintendo-like ease of use. I play games on Windows and use a few commercial
apps I bought years before I knew that Linux existed. Now the only commercial
software that I buy is for Windows and those are games. If more companies would
release games and commercial apps for Linux I would buy those.

Furthermore, the next computer system that I will be building will only be
running Linux, I plan on making a dual 8 or 900Mhz AMD T-Bird  system with
512Mb of RAM. I am going to get a 19 inch monitor and run an IDE Raid for more
speed. Do you know what I will be doing for my Windows apps? Well, I am going
to be running VMware and use that to run Windows, that way I won't have to
worry about running Windows for days. If it crashes then I will simply be back
up and running in less then a minute.

Thanks for your time,

Robert Adkins II

P.S. Every OS has its place. I do not claim that any one is better then any
other OS. Although the only OS that I ever used that never crashed or gave me
any trouble was my C-64. That puppy ran beautifully everytime.

------------------------------

From: "Sourav Laskar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:22:08 +0530

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:47:56 +1300

<snip>

> Still working on the old dinosaurs, huh?
>
> Of course if you stick to just UNIX or Linux then you're probably right.
> But if you want to use a desktop like KDE2, then expect bugs: X,
> Linux et al can freeze up on you.
come on Pete, don't hassle tapes :) I have a 50gig ADR Tape drive to store all my
MP3's, videos,
and downloads (which can be randomly accessed).

KDE2 is not as buggy as GNOME, however, stability could be improved.
Apart from that little gripe, KDE2 is pretty good.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Christmas Virus Warning
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:53:09 -0700

Nigel wrote:

>  Our IT dept. have received a Virus warning this morning.The virus
> appears as a file attachment called Navidad which is part of an
> e-christmas card.
> If you receive such an e-mail please do not
> open it!

<snip blatant plug>

Hasn't this guy posted this before?

Michael Vester

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:51:27 -0500

Curtis wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) posted:
>
> | That is not a reason not to learn it though. Becoming more familiar with the
> | workings of your computer is always worthwhile. File operations are often
> | easier on the command line, especially in your example of an elderly person.
> | Holding down Ctrl and selecting multiple files and moving them to another
> | directory can often be quite fiddly, I'm 26 yet still find myself having to
> | select the files all over again as I made a slip up with the mouse. I dread
> | to think what trouble Granpappy would have. Far easier to type what you want
> | to do at the command line.
> |
> | mv *.txt ../newdir
>
> No I need to move four out of 25 text files within the same directory.
> Some of them have 30-40 character names, so I can't remember their exact
> names.

That's what the wildcard characters `.', `?', and `*' are for.

> Using a GUI file manager is at least as effective.

Only if you can remember their names.

> It definitely depends on what you wish to do.
>
> | As opposed to a series of point and click operations that are very liable to
> | mistakes.
>
> The CLI is very good for heavy file management and for those who
> *consistently* have to do heavy file management.

That is insane.  I learned CLI's doing little to no file management

edit file
test run file
edit file
test run file

Apple ][+ and IBM System 370 VM/CMS didn't even have directories
so there was ZERO file-management activities.

Nevertheless, it only takes a couple days to learn a CLI.

>                                                  Otherwise a GUI is the
> better choice.

Only for those who intend to stay at a "novice" rating for oh,
30 years or so.

>                In my NT days I installed "4NT", which I knew about from
> my OS/2 days. I was learnt how to use it since it offered some nice CLI
> features not supported by the plain NT CLI. I still ended up not
> sticking with it since I so rarely did things that would make it better
> for me to use a CLI. I can't tell the last time I wanted to change the
> attributes of all the files in a directory, though if I need to, I just
> use a CLI command in my file manager .. Enriva Voyager. Otherwise I use
> a CLI.

Tranlation: the kernel on NT is too sucky to make a CLI worthwhile.

> | Also, by learning the command line you can learn to create scripts
> | to automate the tasks you do often.
>
> This is definitely true. But this doesn't mean that most need to
> dedicate most of their computing time to a CLI. It's really unnecessary
> and less enjoyable. Not to mention the case sensitive nature of the UNIX
> CLI.

boooo fucking hoooo.

Case sensitivity is only a problem for idiot who make filenames
like:  thIsisalOnGfileName.

For non-psychotic people case sensitivity is not a problem.
In fact, Microsoft's insistance upon case NON-sensitivity if
HIGHLY fucking annoying.

> | There's no reason why the command line should solely be the preserve of
> | programmers.
>
> At the level it's being pushed? I'd say yes, its heavy use should be
> reserved for programmers or those who need to do heavy file management
> often.

You know what Curtis... the severely limited range of activities that
are possible on the various LoseDOS platforms have all been available
in graphical form on Unix for years...some of them BEFORE Microshaft
even released LoseDOS.

Conversely....most of the stuff that can be done on Unix with a
command line is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to do efficiently on any LoseDOS
platform...you have to either do several hundred point-and-clicks
to replicate the actions of a 10-line Unix shell script....or
maybe writing C-code to do the same thing is your ideat of how
"user friendly" LoseDOS is...

> | Seeing as five year old kids can handle it if you give them the
> | chance, this attitude that the command line is some aloof ivory tower is
> | inappropriate. People should be encouraged to get as much out of there
> | computers as they can.
>
> Average people cannot and will not learn everything.

Speak for yourself, loser.

>                                                       If they have a
> choice between two interfaces that will get most or all of what they
> wish to do done, in the most intuitive and enjoyable way, then they'll
> choose one and that will usually be the GUI. Simple.

Strange.  The computer-illiterate mechanical designers, detailers,
and checkers in the auto industry have no problem picking up the
Unix CLI.

> The more advanced, interested user will learn some of the CLI and rarely
> go on to master it, unless he/she has some professional pursuit that
> demands it.

Conversely, with a GUI-only system...there is not enough depth
that "mastery" of the system means anything.

Tell us, oh great one, what is the difference between a LoseDOS
novice and a LoseDOS master?

>From my observation: Jack and Shit.

>             This then brings on what I find to be an unfair trait among
> the CLI pushers. They were either brought up on it, hence forced to use
> it, or have to use it professionally. They take this advantage or
> convenience for granted.

Translation: Curtis is lazy.

Question: Are you a fat couch-potato, or do you get your lazy ass
out of the chair to get enough exercise to keep your body healthy.

Question 2:  Why should it be any different with one's mind?

Corallary:  Catering to the lazy is not winning.

> | That Granpappy stuff is just stereotyping anyway, I know Granpappy's and
> | Granmama's who are old school hardcore programmers.
>
> There'll always be the exceptions which certainly do not take away from
> the accurate generalisation.
>
> --
> Curtis
>
> |         ,__o
> !___    _-\_<,    An egotist thinks he's in the groove
> <(*)>--(*)/'(*)______________________ when he's in a rut.
>
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (ROT13 scrambled)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lacks
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:53:38 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Pedro Coto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:PWTX5.129$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Well, It certanly looks like we have come a long way in the last couple
> > > of years. The list of lacks has been cut down dramaticaly!
> >
> >    So I hope it will be in the next two :-)
> >

> If Microsoft applications were a separate company with no vested interest
> to protect Microsoft OS's you would probably have the choice of running
> the same programs on your favorite platform.

Precisely.  This is why the breakup of Microsoft is necessary.

Actually, a 3-way split would be even better (1 O/S, and either
2 business apps + 3 recreation apps   or  2 business+recreation apps
+ 3 utilities )

>        Les Mikesell
>          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:55:50 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

| Curtis wrote:
| >
| > There's a lot to learn about a machine when running Windows, any
| > flavour, without having to get cozy with a CLI. One can install their
| > own OS, add hardware, set them up, install software of varying types and
| > complexity and be very productive without getting acquainted with a CLI.
| > Even for automating tasks, there are many alternatives to the CLI for
| > Windows. I believe you genuinely know this.
| >
| > Therefore, that ridiculous statement you made must have been clearly
| > intended to make you look good or something. People who feel insecure
| > and wish to look good or feel superior tend to make these silly
| > statements.
|
| On the other hand, the CLI for Windozzzzzzz /is/ pretty lame.
|
| > In Linux, I agree that if you don't know the CLI then you must be a
| > Linux cripple. This is not so with Windows.
|
| I agree.  But even in Windows, the CLI can be quite useful, especially
| with the tools available from the NT Resource Kit.  Or with your
| compilers.
|
| For example, you can use "make" to compile and link rather larger
| projects than an IDE can handle [even if, unlike Borland C++ Builder,
| the IDE doesn't leak memory.]

You're moving the goal posts there. The original statement was:

» But then I'm biased of course.  I think gui's are for weenies
» who are to stupid or lazy to figure out the command line.  I
» mean really, how hard is it?  Its not rocket science.

That's just plain silly.

--
Curtis

From: spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I switched!  No more Netscape!
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:56:00 GMT

Mozilla 0.6 is now on my system and working better than I had hoped.
And definitely better than Netscape 6 or 4.76!!

Mozilla ought to be nice by the time Mozilla 1.0 is released.  It is
interesting how the Headers identify this version of Moxilla as Mozilla 5.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: i/o in linux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:57:45 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Actually, this Mr. Swango is correct, the Linux Kernel is still "alpha"
> testing (because Linux is ALWAYS in beta stages) support for this style of
> x86 hardware.
>
> Innovation and Linux are two terms that DON'T go togather.  Your problem is
> that the SMP support your application would thrive under doesn't exist under
> the Linux platform.  I suggest you look into the manufacturer of your
> mainboard to see what OS they recomend (a commercial UNIX or Windows 2000).
>
> Linux does NOT hold a candle to native SMP support on any platform.

Give it 2 years, and lets see.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft , makers of what ?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 05:01:02 GMT

<snip>

The real list of what Microsoft has created:

The heart warming, cult symbol of the Wintel community, the BSOD.

Introduced users to the "save-save-save and remember to save again"
metality.

The commonly used excuse by telephone operators that "there will be a
slight delay as my computer has just crashed, and has to reboot".

Remember to Virus scan your PeeCee once a week.

That a computer crashing twice a day is perfectly normal.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:02:24 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

| > No I need to move four out of 25 text files within the same directory.
| > Some of them have 30-40 character names, so I can't remember their exact
| > names. Using a GUI file manager is at least as effective.
|
| Well, you can shorten the job quite a bit by using the TAB key to do
| file-name completion on the command-line.

Yes, I used the tab completion feature in 4NT. Made life easier but I
still wasn't lured. If you're well organised a GUI file manager with CLI
support is better by far to me. I can type a command when it's really to
my advantage. Otherwise GUI for me.

| > The CLI is very good for heavy file management and for those who
| > *consistently* have to do heavy file management. Otherwise a GUI is the
| > better choice.
|
| I find myself switching back and forth quite a lot, depending on the task.

Exactly. If you use a filemanager with CLI support, you never switch the
interface.

| > This is definitely true. But this doesn't mean that most need to
| > dedicate most of their computing time to a CLI. It's really unnecessary
| > and less enjoyable. Not to mention the case sensitive nature of the UNIX
| > CLI.
|
| That's a good feature!

That's a good feature for those who need it. An annoyance to others.

| > | There's no reason why the command line should solely be the preserve of
| > | programmers.
| >
| > At the level it's being pushed? I'd say yes, its heavy use should be
| > reserved for programmers or those who need to do heavy file management
| > often.
|
| Naw... it is easy to type "ee filename.jpq" to view a JPEG file.
| In fact, "ee *.jpg" brings up a GUI with all the files ready for
| easy selection.

It's just as easy to open the folder containing your pics.

| Or "play audio.wav" to play a wave file.  Of course, using a GUI to do
| these tasks can be more fun.

Indeed.

| > Average people cannot and will not learn everything. If they have a
| > choice between two interfaces that will get most or all of what they
| > wish to do done, in the most intuitive and enjoyable way, then they'll
| > choose one and that will usually be the GUI. Simple.
|
| I wonder if there's any psychophysical data to verify your contention.

I've heard arguments in support of and against it.

--
Curtis