Linux-Advocacy Digest #725, Volume #33           Fri, 20 Apr 01 09:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Matthew Gardiner)
  Ctrl-Alt-Windows (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Microsoft gets hard (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (Matthew
Gardiner)
  Re: IE ("Michael Pye")
  Re: IE ("Michael Pye")
  Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being downloaded? (jtnews)
  Re: Red Hat has become scary? (pip)
  Re: Red Hat has become scary? (pip)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Peter da Silva)
  Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being  (pip)
  Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being downloaded? (Norman
D. Megill)
  Re: Red Hat has become scary? (Becker)
  Re: Ctrl-Alt-Windows (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Red Hat has become scary? (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: What is 99 percent of copyright law? was Re: Richard Stallman (Isaac)
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)
  Re: Recommendation for web email (Roy Culley)

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:00:05 +0200 (CEST)

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> clacked:
> <snype>
> >
> > because it would cost them more than they paid for thier machine in the
> > first place
> > ya retard
> >                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> >
> > men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> > more even than death
> > - bertrand russell
> Upgrading a kernel. Well, I have SUSE Linux, I goto the suse ftp site,
> download the latest rpm kernel, drop into super user mode, then rpm -Uvh
> kernel.rpm and voila, reboot, and I have a new kernel.  Is it that hard,
> no, so stop spreading FUD on issues you have no experience.

why look, it's another lying sack of shit unix headcase! he snips the
context and then accuses me of ignorance! way to go fuckhead. if you
ever wonder why linux has gone nowhere with endusers reread yourself.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:06:16 +1200

Edward Rosten wrote:
> =

> >> Yep, that's right. Now you have shelled out =A3=A3=A3 for windows, g=
o and
> >> shell out more =A3=A3=A3 to replace perfectly servicable hardware th=
at
> >> windows does not deem fit to run.
> >
> > Oh I'm sorry, you can't aford =A330?
> =

> If I waste =A330 on every whim avaliable, I would be broke by now. Why
> should I spend =A330 here that I don't have to. I can think of many bet=
ter
> things to spend =A330 on than an upgrade that I don't need.
Also you must take in account you pay per minute when using the phone in
the UK, so even when you have to download an upgrade, to fix a major
issue, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg, where as, atleast with
Linux, when there is an issue, its either a really old issue, such as
the case with bind, or the issue is very minor and most people aren't
effected.

Matthew Gardiner

-- =

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Ctrl-Alt-Windows
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:07:43 GMT

I'm damn sick of seeing those stupid "Windows" keys on
every frikkin' keyboard I own, including on my
laptop.

Where can I get tiny penguin stickers to place
over that eye-sore?

Chris

--
"Where do you want to hang today?"

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Microsoft gets hard
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:08:35 +1200

Franek wrote:

> JS PL wrote:
> > More than 6 million Linux developers! I think not. I submit that there are
> > not even 6 million Linux USERS!!
> Well, that's OK. It is quite possible that there are more linux programmers than
>linux
> users.

Is that world wide, or just in the US.  From what I have read, there are
around 200million Microsoft users, and around 20 million Linux users
world wide, and considering that most of the Linux users are developers,
there would be quite bit more than 6 million.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:13:15 +1200

GreyCloud wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > <snype>
> >
> > Think of the issue like this.  We are now in the era of technological
> > change, yet we still rely on technology 100 years old that has changed
> > very little.  Instead of the government wasting money on pointless tax
> > cuts, maybe some of that money could be used to setup a Crown Funded
> > Laboratory to fund research into economically viable alternative fuels
> > and the rest used to pay off the overseas debt and public debt.  That
> > would be a hell of a lot more effective than giving a huge tax cut to
> > those at the top of the food chain.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
> > --
> > I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
> >
> > If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
> >
> > Running SuSE Linux 7.1
> >
> > The best of German engineering, now in software form
>
> Unfortunately, the bigcats that own the oil won't allow any research to
> be made usable by the public.  It will impact on their business.  I've
> seen it happen all too often when someone comes out with a good idea it
> gets shot down.
> The cold-fusion flap in Utah... so called academics said it was a fraud.
> In the Navy times the Navy tried it and it said they had great success
> with cold-fusion.  Never heard anything more about.

Hence the reason why it is necessary to have a government funded
research centre to ensure that socially desirable technologies are
researched. In New Zealand we have Crown Research which is funded by
industry and the government.  One spin off was in the 1970's when they
developed a technique to turn natural gas into petrol, which as a worlds
first.  Had the oil crisis continued, NZ would have been self sufficient
for the next 100 years.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: IE
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:19:57 +0100

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9bkl22$55$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > disgusting... It can't even do the very very basic stuff correctly. It
> comes
> > to something when a browser company's web site looks distinctly better
and
> > is more readable in their competitor's product.
> >
> > They coded the site themselves so obviously there is no secret "way
> around"
> > these problems, the support simply isn't there...

> An *extremely* good point.

Why thank you. ;)

MP

------------------------------

From: "Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:23:55 +0100

"MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:4CGD6.770$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Until it collides head first with 'cola logic', at which point it will be
> summarily dismissed as troll bait.
> As most, if not all facts are in cola.

Dismiss it as what you like, I'm not familiar with the term "cola logic",
but all I know is that NS4 is an appalling bad browser and has caused me
enough frustration since I went into casual web design 2 years ago for me to
be excused an occasional let off of steam in a public newsgroup...

I was only trying to point out that at present we are between a rock and a
hard place. Opera and Mozilla are not widely used enough or slick enough to
appeal to most users and the two main browsers in use (NS4 and IE 4/5) have
huge problems. One is crap and the other, while good at what it does, is the
child of an evil empire intent on enslaving the world ;)

MP

------------------------------

From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being downloaded?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:28:38 GMT

Anyone have any stats on how many times
RedHat 7.1 is being downloaded?

I've been trying many of the various
ftp sites and many of them have too many
users, which makes me wonder exactly
how many users are really downloading
RedHat 7.1.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:35:38 +0100

Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> Hell yes. But atleast you don't see Germany or Japan trying to be the
> world policeman. They have learnt their leason.

So who will be? Us (UK)? the UN? NATO? Don't make me laugh! I am _SO_
glad that America actually gets up of its arse and DOES something. I
wish we did more. Our special relationship with America _is_ special
because generally we agree with much of the American sentiment. I don't
see Blair intervening in the middle east, and I wouldn't want cook to be
sent just in case he starts more trouble. It is just a shame that their
new president seems rather detached from international affairs (apart
from bring an idiot).

>However, US still
> haven't learnt it, even with all the nut cases out there wanting to blow
> up US government buildings.

Hmmmm. Don't speak to fast as if you remember we also have our problems
with the natives. Still if you want to promote an white-tower argument
that is up to you.

>You only need to look at the US's
> involvement in Somalia to show how arrogance + ignorance = disaster.

You should not comment on things you know nothing about. Somalia was/IS
a blood bath and like it or not I am glad that the USA has helped
restore some order in some parts. It _was_ a mess - conflict is. Would
you prefer to leave the innocent to be hacked to death or shot? FFS!

We take our security for granted - you WOULD NOT BELIEVE how many people
fear for their lives each and every day. If there is a world policeman
then I would prefer it to be the USA rather than something you think up
any day.

If you think that the innocent should die and we should do nothing then
I pity you. It is an argument that I just can't come to terms with. It
is against every little thing I believe in. I just don't understand.

>It
> is one thing helping a country, it is another thing to tell a country
> what to do.

Fuck that! I guess that you would not pass comment on Nazi Germany if
you were back then.
**********

>However, what I can say, is, the Soviet Union was the first
> to develop biological weapons, with the first one being developed, one
> carrying a antibiotic resistant strain of the smallpox virus.  The US
> said it was impossible, the Soviet Union proved them wrong.  The US had
> one space station, the Soviety union threw up 5 into orbit.  Little
> facts most people in the US fail to comprehend, that there is NO ONE
> country that has contributed to human technological advance, but many,
> and until this happens, the rampant arrogance will continue to grow.

You have got SUCH a big chip on your shoulder! What's the problem? Could
not get a better paid job in the USA? If I were single I would be headed
off to CA faster than I can say US intervention.

I mean really, I think we should stick to computing. I hate these racist
flame wars that just promote hate.

Long live the USA. If I need someone to protect my arse, I know who I'd
choose.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:39:05 +0100

pip wrote:

I appear to have made an incorrect assumption. Mathew actually appears
to be from New Zealand. Sorry!

Doesn't that just make his comments even the more pathetic?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 20 Apr 2001 11:38:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Simple.  You tell them to send it back to you in a format that's useable.

> People do this all the time.

Like Digital Research did when IBM came by to ask them for an OS for their
new home computer?

(and like people ask you to trim the stuff you're quoting when you reply?)

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:45:16 +0100

jtnews wrote:

> Anyone have any stats on how many times
> RedHat 7.1 is being downloaded?
>
> I've been trying many of the various
> ftp sites and many of them have too many
> users, which makes me wonder exactly
> how many users are really downloading
> RedHat 7.1.

_MANY_ ! I have still not got on ftp.redhat.com to check the iso image
names. I've been using a mirror. It looks like it is a very popular
release. May the penguin spread it's wings :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:07:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
jtnews  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Anyone have any stats on how many times
>RedHat 7.1 is being downloaded?

Don't know about the downloads but I ordered it on the web April 17 and
it arrived (UPS 2nd day air) yesterday, April 19.  Their site says "Red
Hat Linux 7.1 products will begin shipping Monday, April 23" so I guess
they lied.  :)

--Norm

------------------------------

From: Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:13:14 -0500

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> The difference is that there are alternatives, such as SuSE Linux, and
> Mandrake.  I find it rather humourous that Sepo's don't know any
> products made outside the US.  Mention the words SuSE, SAP or Baan and
> you get blank faces, mention software such as Jade and there is even
> more blank faces. What the heck is wrong with people? Its like during
> the 70s, the quality of US cars were going further down hill, whilst the
> Japanese made cars were superior and cheaper, yet, no sepo's bought
> them. Is that xenaphobia at the extreme?
>
> Matthew Gardiner

The only xenophobe is you toward the people of the USA.  Give it a
rest, kook.  Your constant whinning is proving you to be nothing
more than pathetic.

I seriously doubt that someone of your "skills" could cut it in a
computer science degree program at a US college.  Maybe this is
where that big chip on your shoulder comes from?

The US is very competitive and attracts the brightest minds from
around the world.  Perhaps, this intimidates you just a tad?

Patrick Becker, M.D.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Ctrl-Alt-Windows
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:15:15 GMT

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> I'm damn sick of seeing those stupid "Windows" keys on
> every frikkin' keyboard I own, including on my
> laptop.
>
> Where can I get tiny penguin stickers to place
> over that eye-sore?

Just buy a Mandrake boxed set, and you'll get more penguin
stickers than you have keys.
If you buy a Suse set, you won't get penguin stickers, but
you'll get a penguin pin to wear on your jacket.

--
Giuliano Colla

Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is
connected (anonymous)

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:34:48 +1200

<snype>
> The only xenophobe is you toward the people of the USA.  Give it a
> rest, kook.  Your constant whinning is proving you to be nothing
> more than pathetic.
>
> I seriously doubt that someone of your "skills" could cut it in a
> computer science degree program at a US college.  Maybe this is
> where that big chip on your shoulder comes from?
>
> The US is very competitive and attracts the brightest minds from
> around the world.  Perhaps, this intimidates you just a tad?
>
> Patrick Becker, M.D.

Hell no, I'm not intimidated. I am not xenophobic either.  To be totally
correct, what attracts many of the brightest people from places such as
Eastern Europe and Asia is the attractive pay, compared to the miserable
$US50 they would otherwise get if they lived in Russia or the Czech
Republic.  What I am pointing out is the naivety the general populous
show to the world around them.  For example, you look at CNN and the
TIME magazine.  TIME, a magazine that supposedly is meant to be the news
of the world, yet for 3 fucking months I had to put up with, George Bush
this and George Bush that! as if the whole world had come to a grinding
halt during the elections. Hello? people are dying in Africa, East Timor
and South America, yet the biggest story is whether George Debwya Bush
gets in!

Don't get me wrong, I have visited the US, and like every country, there
are good points and bad points, however, I do get pissed off when people
elevate the US, in fact any country, to a status higher than god. When
students who leave school who have no concept of the rest of the world.
Don't even know the names of politicians from overseas let alone where
the US's major trading partners are located! then people should start to
be concerned about where their country is heading. Need I say more after
watching the 60 minutes report in regard to US students.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: What is 99 percent of copyright law? was Re: Richard Stallman
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:32:00 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:38:52 +1000, Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I can't wait for the first real test of this sad blight on opensource
>(the GPL) to be seriously tested in court and watch it fall apart.  It's

I think the GPL is on solid ground for the most part.  My real beef is
about things that are claimed to be in the GPL that don't seem to be
in there.

I don't want to see the GPL fall apart.

>interesting how the FSF picks on the small developers, don't you think?

I don't think that the FSF picks easy targets.  I'm not aware that
big corporations are being allowed to run roughshod over the GPL
while small developers are being picked on.  I'd need to see some
big guys getting away with things before I'd find that small
developers were being picked on.

Isaac

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:30:21 +0200

        Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Terry Porter wrote:

>> > Could you bury your head in the sand any deeper, I wonder?
>> >
>> Somehow I just knew chrisv would be using Windows. Btw Chad is right,
>> replying to the same old Wintroll posts is tiresome.
>>
>> Wintroll: My XYZ soundcard doesnt work, Linux is crap...
>> Wintroll: Linux is hard to learn, hard to install and ate my granny, so
>> Linux is crap ...
>
> Even the more typical one:
>
> "I bought a copy of Linux, it worked perfectly on my computer, however,
> now my car doesn't start, Linux is crap!"

Christ your lucky. I couldn't get the garage door to open. As soon as
the power came back I removed Linux and the garage door opened. Fuck
this Linux crap.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:57:22 +0200

        Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> spicerun wrote:
>>
>> In article <vj2D6.4868$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Eric"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> This is a Dead Giveaway!  TROLL!  Steve/88-keys is at it again...can
>> always count on him to bring up the fonts non-issue.  Tell me Steve, are
>> you employed by Microsoft directly, or are you an employee of a Public
>> Relations firm paid by Microsoft?
>
> Another typical response... accusing the poster of being an employee of
> Microsoft with any criticism at all of Linux. It reminds me of the
> French Revolution and the Jacobins accusing people of being foreign
> agents.

Yes it is a typical response. If he's smart enough to know about
c.o.l.a then he should know about the other Linux newsgroups. A
simple question regarding netscapes fonts would have worked
wonders for him. Of course, if he was even smarter he could have
done a google search and found a solution straight away. Anyone
who complains on c.o.l.a about a Linux problem which been discussed
and solutions given many times is a TROLL.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:34:42 +0200

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter) writes:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:27:52 GMT, B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:13:45 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>This may not come as a surprise, but there are a lot of 30+ year olds in
>>>the U.S. that have a hard time reading a simple newspaper.  That's why
>>>us older folks are being asked to come back to work because the younger
>>>generation can't read the technical manuals or follow simple written
>>>instructions.  Very pathetic.
>>      I know lots of those people who the minute I try to teach them
>> Unix using a very simplified textbook, slam the book down and refuse
>> to read it based on its thickness! These same  people cry "B'ichela" when
>> trying to program their VCR or set up a simple Direct-TV (single LNB)
>> sattelite system!
>>      I was taught the old way, by books. I am 33, female and
>> college educated! I learn by doing things and I am not afraid of
>> failure. Heres a Linux Example of my thinking:
>>      I have a ancient Adaptec ACB-4070 bridgeboard. its old, crufty
>> and not fully Scsi-1 complient (it lacks the identify Scsi command). I
>> wanted to put it to use. I asked on comp.periph.scsi if anyone had
>> pointers for software or manuals (I had none). I got lots of help and
>> manuals to configure and interface.
> <snip>
>>                      B'ichela
>>
> What an excellent post, COLA is all the better for it, I think B'ichela
> has captured the spirit of adventure/learning and persistence, that leads
> one to succeed in the face of numerous difficulties.
>
> If I wore a hat, i'd take it off to this lady :)

Well if she were to come to Switzerland I'd offer her a job. Think about
it, great country, excellent standard of living and Unix people can name
their price.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: Recommendation for web email
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:10:47 +0200

In article <82ND6.833$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I believe  linuxmail.org is run on IIS. As for the service, it's not too bad
> except for the fact that it doesn't load correctly on NN 4.7x under linux.

You believe? Why don't you just find out for yourself. Never heard of
telnet? If you aren't up to it then www.netcraft.com will get the
info for you. You are just spreading FUD as usual.