From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 18:03:42 GMT

On 06/03/2000 at 07:01 PM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lund) said:

> In article <3938e8be$4$obot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bob Germer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Assuming the assinine that MS does move to Canada and takes all its
> > employees, the people who would suffer the most are the employees. MS
> > employees would find no buyers for their US homes or would have to sell
> > them in a very depressed local real estate market. A home worth $300,000
> > the day the move was announced would suddenly become worth less than
> > $200,000, very likely less than the mortgage and selling costs.

> So far so good, but then you start with the ol' "US RULEZ EVERYBODY ELSE
> ARE COMMYZ" tripe. Please.

I never said that. I said that the US economy was world based and it is.

> > Also they
> > would suddenly find themselves in a country with socialized medicine,

> Which is not a bad thing. Note all the US elderlies who rent buses so
> they can go stock up on affordable medicine in Canada.

You would have to show that to me. I know I paid 5 times as much US for a
vial of insulin in Ottowa as I do here. I know that a bottle of 25
Bufferin tablets in Ottowa cost me twice as many US dollars as they do
here.

In your opinion it is a good thing. How come the Minister of Health of
Canada came to the US for prostate cancer treatment? How come wealthy
people from around the world flock to the US for hospital care and not to
Canada? How come thousands or more Canadians come to the US every month
for health care for which they pay cash? They must not agree.

> > much
> > higher taxes,

> Imho worth it.

Then you are a sad case indeed.

> > and a dollar suddenly worth only 67% of what it was the day
> > before.

> Which means they'd have 50% more dollars than they had the day before.
> So what if the dollars they have are worth less when the added amount
> makes up for it? When you exchange US dollars for Canadian dollars, you
> don't do so on a dollar-for-dollar basis, you know.

The added amount does not make up for it due to the higher cost of living
in constant currency of Canadians vs. the US. Remember, you cannot look
just a prices and convert. When one looks at the price of a TV set, for
example, a Canadian must pay an additional 17% or more VAT. If I buy a TV
in Delaware, I pay no sales tax. If I buy it in certain parts of New
Jersey I pay 3% in other parts 6%. In Pennsylvania it's 6% except in the
city of Philadelphia where it's 7%. In New York City, the highest in the
US it's 8.5%. The same is true of automobiles.

Take a Chrysler Neon which has a US list price of $10,000. In Canada,
where it is made BTW, it has a list comparable equipped of $14,400. If I
buy it here I pay 600 in sales tax. If I buy it in Toronto, I would have
to pay CDN $2,448 VAT which is equivalent to approximately $1,600 US
dollars.

Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 12
MR/2 Ice 2.19zf Registration Number 67

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com
Date: 3 Jun 2000 18:07:33 GMT

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000 16:30:23 "Brad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

¯Secondly, your other contention is simply incorrect and you know it.
¯Stardock probably made more money on OS/2 software than virtually any other
¯ISV...

In its heyday - sure. But then Stardock tried to slide by on
its laurels and didn't to anything new for years. Stardock
got passed by better, cheaper, more responsive authors from
the freeware and shareware spectrum

¯In 1997 and on the OS/2 market died off in a hurry...

For Stardock, that's for sure.

¯For you to try to
¯blame this on anything other than the fact that most OS/2 users switched to
¯other platforms is just plain silly.

For you to deny the fact that it was Stardock's inactivity
and inability to transition to the OS/2 as business platform
model is just plain stubborn denial. You got beat out by
your own sloth and arrogance, and by better, cheaper
shareware and freeware.

There were - and still are - plenty of software authors who
continue to support OS/2 as a business platform. I already
gave you a list of new programs and updates that have come
out recently - and continue to come out.

If you want to claim OS/2 is dead for Stardock and the type
of products it wants to make that's ok by me. If you want to
say that OS/2 is dead - even for the desktop user - provided
the desktop user is primarily focused on business
productivity - I say you are in denial.

[RJ]                 OS/2 - Live it, or live with it.
rj friedman          Team ABW
Taipei, Taiwan       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To send email - remove the `yyy'

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/Gaining Acceptance
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 20:10:03 +0200

I think youre into silly stuff.

If your company devided to standardise on a certain plaftorm (hardware +
software) then its not going to be costeffective to change platform no
matter how stable the diverging platform will be. You need the take in
account the retraining or hiring of new personel to take care of eventual
problems.

You cannot single handed do anything to change that and that is good so.
Its a bad idea to intruduce different platforms to serve specific taskes if
the same tasks can be made with the current platform.

However.. the current platform is now NT.. so a good idea would be to
analyze the costs involved in mantaining that platform.. im sure there are
plenty of them  when a Micros~1 opereating system is involved. Another
thing is the pitfall of falling into Micros~1 controlled standards... you
will have a very difficult time to switch to something better latter..and
there is no guarantee they f.ex. old documents can be read by new
applications.  Take standardisation on f.ex. Word as an example.

Present the current and future problems and introduce the solution (could
be Linux or another Unix or just open applications and standards)

Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 13:12:54 -0500

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 11:20:53 GMT, Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>MS employees have access to the source code. Many would likely band
>together to produce a MS clone in a matter of months at most.

You're a riot.  You really believe a few dozen (or hundred) employees
can "make" an NT or Win2k compatible OS, just like that?  How many of
those programmers *really* see *all* of the source code, among other
things?  And how would they get the license to use that source code?

Or did you think they'd just memorize it and be able to regurgitate it
on demand for their future employer?

>MS Canada
>might sue that they were violating copyrights which they might well be
>doing. However, our courts wouldn't have much incentive to do anything
>quickly for a fugitive complaintant.

Hardly.  The US acts on copyright infringement - part of setting an
example.

>By the time the case was heard, it
>would be moot since 8 or 10 years would have passed.

I suspect the police would be at their door before you knew it.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 14:24:52 -0400

Quoting JEDIDIAH from alt.destroy.microsoft; Sat, 03 Jun 2000 15:42:21
>Quoting budgie from alt.destroy.microsoft; Sat, 03 Jun 2000 06:03:07 GMT
   [...]
>>It was 1996 IIRC.  No, I bought from an Australian (obviously)
>>national chain who assembled their own boxes, with (at that time)
>
>       IOW... a small player, perhaps a 'build your own box' type
>       of operation typically avoided by most novice consumer types.

Actually, the phrase "national chain who assembled their own boxes"
sounds more like a retail store, like a Radio Shack of Sears.  Though I
would suspect that in 1996, a national chain in Australia could be
considered a "small player" in comparison with major OEMs, which would
explain why they had a "no OS" option still available.

Does the same national chain still have a "no OS" option?  I doubt it.

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Observations of a Lurker
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 20:26:37 +0200

Well it's www.joecartoon.com :-) without the last "s".

> Theres some Flash content in it and when you attempt to exits one of the
> windows that pop up, Netscape dies.

I loaded a couple of the cartoons and nothing "bad" happened... Netscape
still running and playing flash animations fine. I did not however see any
pop-up windows.. Could you be more specific

Cheers

------------------------------

From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages)
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 10:44:04 -0700

> Paul Voller wrote:

> > No, not really.  I have no experience with K help system, Debian or Suse's
> > help systems, and Gnomes is all about how to use Gnome.

Uh, no - that's incorrect

> >  For instance, I
> > cannot just go to the help system and query it as to what "biff" does - I
> > have to use the command line man function.

Uh, no - that's incorrect. The Gnome help browser allows you to access
all of the man pages and info pages as well as Gnome help. 'biff' is
there if you're really interested, as is anything else with a man page.

The KDE help system works exactly the same way - has the man pages,
info pages, KDE help. 'biff' is there too.

tkman is a third choice.

> > What I wanted to achive was an HTML based equivalent of the man
> > pages. i.e. totally comprehensive, but with examples and easier
> > formatting.

Some man pages are excellent and have tons of examples (the set
of pages on procmail for instance). Some could be better.

> >  This will also allow for people to link man pages

KDE and Gnome help already do hyperlinking between man pages
('biff', for example hyperlinks to mail, csh, sh, and comsat).
If you want even more intense hyperlinking and search
capabilities, look at tkman - if you have 'glimpse' installed,
you can link to virtually any text file on your computer, and
it also provides a GUI for 'apropos', as well as a GUI interface
to all of the man pages with hyperlinks.

[snip]

In addition, there is a lot more documentation available for
specific programs. KDevelop has an excellent documentation
system built-in. Most programs have doc entries in well known
locations like the /usr/doc hierarchy or in their own
directories. The docs for things like Qt, gtk, Python,
etc. are excellent, for example (all hyperlinked html, too)

In addition my distribution (SuSE) has it's own html help
system, as well as a number of complete *books* on line,
plus all of the RFC's and LDP stuff like HOW-TO's.
Red Hat Power Tools used to include a searchable database
of all kinds of documentation, including archives of
comp.os.linux.setup and other resources.

Then you can look at what's available online through the
web or Usenet ...

Arthur

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 14:22:28 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Pete Goodwin Can Fix "The sad Linux story"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 07:50:20 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sandrews) wrote in <39386CA5.DBD2C3C6
> >@computelnet.com>:
> >
> >>Like I told you before, and I`ll say it again what you say
> >>pegs my Bullshit Meter.
> >
> >And as I said before your Bullshit meter is so broken.
>
> Of course it is, running under Linux most likely.

        Yes that`s why it works and is accurate.

> >>I looks like all you want is for someone to do everything for you.
> >>Yep, just sit on your ass, do nothing and wait and make excuses.
> >
> >Why not, since everyone is claiming is _the_ system I should use.
>
> That's the funniest part of this whole Linux movement, and it is a
> movement, they keep changing the rules as you go along depending on
> the discussion.
>
> Example:
> Answer #1:Linux is as easy to use as Windows when using a gui.

        That`s true.

>  Answer #2: Do you want someone (Linux) to do everything for you?

        Also true.  A little self help hurt no one.

> >>The Open Source Developers owe nothing to anyone.  They do as they
> >>please.
> >
> >And up the rest of us, huh? Do they want to repeat the mistakes of the
> >past, is that it? Do they every listen to anyone else other than
> >themselves?
>
> They march to a completely different drummer than the typical office
> running Windows.

        Thank Goodness, Different is GOOD!.
        If I have to hear about ms office increases
        ones productivity I am going to get sick and puke.  How many
        days was the office shut down with the ILOVEYOU worm?
        Productivity, yep that`s it, Real inovation and productivity
        at work.

> >>They didn`t ask you to use their code etc.  Open Source says here is
> >>our code, here is our system, use it if you like.  You ought to thank
> >>them
> >>for what they have done.
> >
> >Oh yes they did, when they claimed Linux is the best.

        Well IT IS.  But that`s beside the point.

--
"You can open self extracting archives using PKZIP25.EXE
  or unrar" - censored by Microsoft."

------------------------------

From: "Come Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 18:31:50 GMT

"Brain Drain" problem had been hurting Canadian hi-tech
industries for one decade. Many US hi-tech companies
had built their success by stealing talents from Canadian
companies.

Enough is enough. It's time for the "Brain Drain" to flow back.

Welcome Microsoft to Canada!

BTW. Many of (even normal or poor) high-tech workers in Silicon
Valley can enjoy immediate or early retirement in Canada with your
existing gain from your stock options due to the low cost of living in
Canada . Take money and run! Why work restlessly for another
ten to twenty years just for serving your housing?   A new single house
which costs Cdn$150K in Ottawa-Carleton region (Silicon Valley
North) will cost you US$400K in US Silicon Valley.  With that price,
your US Silicon Valley houses don't even have basements, SIGH!
With that price, your US Silicon Valley hi-tech workers spend hours
per day on highways just to move yourself between your houses
and your workplaces, SIGH....Restless American Bees!...SIGH!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 14:33:02 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals.

Tim Palmer wrote:

> Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >daelin wrote:
>
> >> Raw X actually does look like something. It doesn't look like much,
> >> and you can't even move the windows, but it is possible to run X without
> >> a WM or GUI suite.
>
> >Actually that's a very good thing... it allows troubleshooting of wm's and
> >desktop environments without having to load up X everytime you try running it
> >again.  I just finished compiling gnome-1.2 for Solaris the other day and did
> >just that.  I logged into the console, and did an xinit so that I had a raw X
> >server and one X term.  Then I could start the wm and gnome by hand to make sure
> >there weren't any problems before comitting my startup scripts to them.
> >
> >It did help me track down a few glitches (like I forgot to enable
> >gnome-awareness in sawmill/sawfish when I compiled it.. oops).
>
> In Windos you don't half to compial it. You can just downlode the .EXE and click
>Install, and it
> just works. In X you half to troubleshote window managers because X cant make it
>just work like
> Windos.

        You mean like mellissa or ILOVEYOU.TXT.vbs ????????

Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 14:37:00 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ok, and Turbolinux failure ?

You are twisting your own words, Drestin.  Here what you said:

> care to document that last part? I know you can't but I'd like to see you
> wriggle around...

You didn't simply ask him to document that MS used UNIX in it's manufacturing
process.  You claimed you knew he couldn't.  And when proof was provided, you
made no attempt at acknowledging the fact.  You simply ignored it.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: windoze 9x, what a piece of shit!
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 18:37:39 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a windoze box setup just for printing.  Hit print, in star office
> (document composed on my linux box) and discovered that it was going to
> print before I had a chance to tell it to print @ 1200dpi w/ photo paper.
>
> Removed the paper from the printer and selected 'delete' on the printer
> control folder.
>
> The the computer ground down to a halt.  Selecting the lexmark control
> program from the start menu took a full two minutes.
>
> I ended up having to shut the computer off and reboot.
>
> Just because I canceled a print job.
>
> I have a keyboard/mouse/video switch just because the box is too fucking
> unreliable to have it installed w/out keyboard and video.

Yeah, many people, myself included, do have these kinds of problems.
That's probably why many people are searching for a new OS to run
their computers. That in turn is why we have seen so many newbies
lately, and the loads of "Linux SUX"-stuff that naturally accompanies
them.

------------------------------

From: "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:39:51 -0600

No, you are talking about a "C2 Evaluated System" which is quite different
from a "C2 Certified System".  C2 Evaluated means that the configuration
approximately matches that of a C2 Certified System.  Only a complete
system, hardware and software (and in some of the higher ratings,
environment) can be certified.

You are correct in saying that you can take NT out of the box, put it on a
system similar to the Compaq models, and stand a reasonable chance of having
it certified.  However, without the actual certification, it's only a C2
Evaluated system.  It seems mainly an issue with semantics, though, since
there really isn't that big of a difference between Evaluated and Certified
when it comes to practical, not government work.

Not that any of this matters much, I'd trust a good security policy over any
government certification anyway.

--
Adam Ruth
InterCation, Inc.

"Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I left out something in my original reply you asked for:
>
> Step by step instructions for how to configure, strictly through software,
> an NT4 sp6a server to become C2 compliant:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/issues/deployingc2.exe
>
> W2K is currently under going certification testing. Time will tell.
>
> "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8h8ir6$2f9r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > My earlier comment about networks only applies to non SP 6a systems, and
> > network certification is only on 4 models of Compaq ProLiant servers.
> > Windows 2000 has not yet been certified.
> >
> > --
> > Adam Ruth
> > InterCation, Inc.
> > www.intercation.com
> >

> > "abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8h8fkp$pgc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Oddly,

------------------------------

From: OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HUMOR:  More MS conspiracies... (was Re: Amazon is switching to
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 13:43:18 -0500

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> [WARNING: some strong profanity]
>
> <snip>
> The saddest part about this whole ordeal, is that some anti-microsoft
> idiot somewhere is bound to take this post seriously.
> --

Actually, you just made Microsoft into a bigger joke.

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 18:46:03 GMT

Well, you certainly can't have too much documentation!

The previous posts should be of sufficient help. Maybe
http://www.linuxdoc.org has some information for you about writing
docs. Be sure you know your English well enough!

PS. I've been thinking about translating some howto's into Dutch.
Maybe that would help some of the newbies from my country.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: History revision 1.27a  (was Re: There is only one innovation that
matters...)
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 18:39:13 GMT

On 2 Jun 2000 12:20:14 GMT, "Stephen S. Edwards II"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

STOP CROSSPOSTING THIS SHITE TO TONS OF GROUPS.

Lamer!