From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:16:20 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >So do gays.
>> >
>> >Or are you unaware of the numerous people who get Hepatitis from
>> >gay restaurant employees
>>
>> LOL!  What assinine propaganda!  There aren't "numerous people" who
>> get hpatitis from gay restaurant employees.  It's just your stupid
>> hatred again.
>
>Fag gets Hepatitis from anal sex.
>Fag contaminates food with Hepatitis.
>Hepatitis infects customer

Kulkis gets hepatitis from shooting up after sex with $5 whore.
Kulkis contaminates burgers with hepatitis
Hepatitis infects gay customer.

Obviously we should throw your sorry ass into jail for spreading
hepatitis.

--
Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:22:23 -0400

Stuart Fox wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Wed, 30 May 2001 11:44:00 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > >That's irrelevant. If a user wants to run a program, they're going
> > >to run it regardless if they have to +x it or double click on it.
> >
> > If they're going to go to the trouble of +x'ing t, then they'll
> > probably have a good idea of what it's about. Windows makes it easy
> > for users to naively open a virus thinking it's a picture or
> > something.
> >
> Which is one of the differences.  Windows makes it easy for people to do
> things.

....that fuck up their system.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:28:34 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Zsolt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've seen some rather good, although 'unofficial' explanations about the
> XP abbreviation in Windows XP. Let's try to collect them in this thread.
> Anybody, who has other good idead, please post them here!

eXtended Protocols
eXPensive

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:32:24 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> LOL!  What assinine propaganda!  There aren't "numerous people" who
> >> get hpatitis from gay restaurant employees.  It's just your stupid
> >> hatred again.
> >
> >Fag gets Hepatitis from anal sex.
> >Fag contaminates food with Hepatitis.
> >Hepatitis infects customer
>
> Kulkis gets hepatitis from shooting up after sex with $5 whore.

Spot the false premise.

> Kulkis contaminates burgers with hepatitis
> Hepatitis infects gay customer.
>
> Obviously we should throw your sorry ass into jail for spreading
> hepatitis.

Since the basis of your argument is false, everything thereafter
is void and without meaning.

Hope that help.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: 31 May 2001 00:32:26 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 20:55:04 GMT,
 Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
>> > Most commonly used desktop OS in General Motors is the Unix family.
>>
>> I doubt that enormously. Do you have any reference?
>
> I'd bet the numbers would be skewed.  It'd be more interesting to see raw
> numbers of installed boxes compared to actual return on work.
>
> For instance, here, everyone get's a PC with windows on it.  But many (we're
> talking 100's of engineers just in my department) don't really need one.  Most
> use windows just for Eudora, and to read the occasional word document.

This is similar to my experience, when I used to admin Govt departments,
tho they usually used the Email app supplied with Windows.

>  Many
> are moving to using WTS instead as they're tired of yet another box in their
                      ^^^ ??

> room that spews heat, makes noise, and takes up space.
Common PC hassles, I want a MAC G4 power cube with no dam fan, and a 15" LCD!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can I buy a Linux penguin stuffed animal?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:40:40 -0700

http://www.linuxmall.com/PenguinPower/stuffeddept.php3

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:45:50 GMT

In ashen ink the dread hand of Michael Sims did inscribe:
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 14:24:32 GMT, Zsolt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tilt your head to the left and it looks like an emoticon for a dead
> guy w/his tongue stuck out.

How appropriate ;)

I heard it called eXtra Painful up in alt.2600

Ohhh, good sigmonster have a cookie.
--
Microsoft - Just say No.

------------------------------

From: The Queen of Cans and Jars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:45:45 -0700

Michael Marion wrote:
  Many
> are moving to using WTS instead as they're tired of yet another box in their
> room that spews heat, makes noise, and takes up space.

WTS = ?

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:50:02 -0500

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:5OfR6.4530$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Charlie Ebert wrote:

> right
> is the
> > > >

> > > Well, you'd have to be an idiot to buy W2k.
> > >
> > > You'd have  to be an even bigger imbecile to buy XP.
> >
> > Although I'm not fond of Microsoft products, and they irritate me
> > quite often with how they sort-of work, I have found Win 2K to
> > be relatively pleasant, after a nice machine upgrade, and, of course,
> > shelling out for the cost of the upgrade from NT (which means, by
> > the way, that I have to first install NT on a virgin machine, before
> > I can install Win 2K).
>
> That's not true.  You can install clean, and the install will ask for the NT
> CD to prove you own the original.

Since when has reality or facts mattered to Chris, Erik?

-c

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Borland drops Kylix Desktop to $199 'till Aug 23!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:56:46 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Martel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Hmmm... You don't suppose this is a prelude to discontinuing the
>>product, do you?
>
> Hope so. IMO Borland's become too much like all the other
> milk-the-consumer software outfits. I'd rather not see the
> consumer-as-cash-cow attitude brought to linux.

And I hope not.   A good cross-platform development environment could have
the beneficial side effect of bringing a lot of Windows programmers and
their products into the Linux world.   They're knocking eighty percent off
the price and you accuse them of milking the customer?  It looks to me
like they're doing their absolute best to appeal to the more fiscally
responsible Linux development market.

You might not like Borland all that much, but at least they're responding
to demand.  I have yet to see a shipping copy of VisualStudio.NET for
Linux come out of the Redmondian empire.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:01:37 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Fag gets Hepatitis from anal sex.
>> >Fag contaminates food with Hepatitis.
>> >Hepatitis infects customer
>>
>> Kulkis gets hepatitis from shooting up after sex with $5 whore.
>
>Spot the false premise.

There are several, starting with yours.

>> Kulkis contaminates burgers with hepatitis
>> Hepatitis infects gay customer.
>>
>> Obviously we should throw your sorry ass into jail for spreading
>> hepatitis.
>
>Since the basis of your argument is false, everything thereafter
>is void and without meaning.

And since the basis of your "argument" is false, we can dimiss you as
another homophobic bigot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 30 May 2001 20:17:33 -0500

On Wed, 30 May 2001 19:50:02 -0500, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:5OfR6.4530$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> right
>> is the

>> > Although I'm not fond of Microsoft products, and they irritate me
>> > quite often with how they sort-of work, I have found Win 2K to
>> > be relatively pleasant, after a nice machine upgrade, and, of course,
>> > shelling out for the cost of the upgrade from NT (which means, by
>> > the way, that I have to first install NT on a virgin machine, before
>> > I can install Win 2K).
>>
>> That's not true.  You can install clean, and the install will ask for the NT
>> CD to prove you own the original.
>
>Since when has reality or facts mattered to Chris, Erik?

Pot calling the kettle black.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: 31 May 2001 01:35:38 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 09:53:42 +0200,
 Mart van de Wege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Terry Porter"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I really have to suggest checking out the latest Mozilla!
>>
>> I have used Mozilla for a while now, and I'm finding out that its grown
>> on me, and I miss it when I don't have it!
>>
>> Compiling it is a bit tedious, as I compile while I do everything else
>> here.
>>
>> Here are some interesting stats about compiling Mozilla on my system.
>> (note binaries are available, its NOT neccessary to compile Mozilla)
>>
>> Time to compile: around 3 hrs!
>> Disk usage: 1.4 gigabytes!
>>
>> That said I still can't get it to work with either Skipstone or Galeon,
>> which are 'light' frontends to the Gecco rendering engine :(
>>

> Terry,
>
> What are your problems?
> I have been using the Galeon/Mozilla combo for
> about half a year now, so I am pretty proficient in troubleshooting.

Yeah I noticed your posts regarding Galeon, and thats what inspired me to
check it out.

> Email me some details, and I'll see what I can tell you (yes the adress
> is valid).

Thanks a lot Mart, I'll definetly do that :)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 31 May 2001 01:40:00 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 19:31:39 +0100,
 drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 30 May 2001 03:22:30 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)) wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 29 May 2001 20:49:22 +0100,
>> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> You can get Opera, which is better than IE and Netscape put together.
>
>>I really have to suggest checking out the latest Mozilla!
>
> I might do.
>
>>I have used Mozilla for a while now, and I'm finding out that its grown
>>on me, and I miss it when I don't have it!
>>
>>Compiling it is a bit tedious, as I compile while I do everything else
>>here.
>>
>>Here are some interesting stats about compiling Mozilla on my system.
>>(note binaries are available, its NOT neccessary to compile Mozilla)
>>
>>Time to compile: around 3 hrs!
>>Disk usage: 1.4 gigabytes!
>
> Sorry, but I can't justify giving 1.4 gigabytes to a browser,
> especially as all my linux partitions add up to about 1G.

Opps, I should have pointed out that the 1.4gigs are temporary
while compiling, as Mozilla has everything and the kitchen sink!

Once its installed, you can delete all the source etc.

However you need that much space to compile it. Using a
precompiled binary alleviates the 1.4gigs free hdd
requirement.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: ease and convenience
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:43:53 GMT

On 30 May 2001 19:58:36 GMT, Fred K Ollinger
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I thought you could compile all linux sources for windows. Goesn't gcc
> work on win?

Yeah, but without special help things like fork() and pty's and process
groups don't, just for starters.

If you install something like Cygwin then many Linux apps will work on
Windows.  But many still won't.  Windows + Cygwin is more tolerable than
just Windows, but Linux is still better.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Belway)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.men,alt.feminism,seattle.gay.news
Date: 31 May 2001 01:44:11 GMT

Ray Fischer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Ray Fischer wrote:

>>> Kulkis gets hepatitis from shooting up after sex with $5 whore.
>>
>>Spot the false premise.
>
> There are several, starting with yours.

Are you aware, Ray Fischer, that you are dissing a respected war hero and
an asstronaut? Were you aware of that, Ray?

>>> Kulkis contaminates burgers with hepatitis
>>> Hepatitis infects gay customer.
>>>
>>> Obviously we should throw your sorry ass into jail for spreading
>>> hepatitis.
>>
>>Since the basis of your argument is false, everything thereafter
>>is void and without meaning.
>
> And since the basis of your "argument" is false, we can dimiss you as
> another homophobic bigot.

Ray, its time to admit to yourself that you are a homersexual and come out
of the closet. Its 2001 Ray-nobody will think any less of you as a human
being.

 Steatopygias's 'R' Us.          doh#0000000005 That ain't no Hottentot.
 Sesquipedalian's 'R' Us. ZX-10. DoD#564. tbtw#6. s.s.m#8. There ain't no more
 If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is,
"God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell
him is, "Probably because of something you did." - Jack Handey

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 31 May 2001 01:47:21 GMT

On Thu, 31 May 2001 07:48:30 +1200,
 Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9f2k08$njt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:9eu937$d72$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:9esgcv$749$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > pay $1300 for a bloated office suite from Microsoft,
> piece
>> of
>> > software and help support a small software company, in
>> > >
>> > When you can get a better browser for free, why pay?
>>
>> What? you get an OS for free, and the biggest thing you bitch about is the
>> browser, so, in theory, a complete package with Opera (the best browser on
>> Linux) would cost $35 vs. $800 for Win2k Pro.
>>
> I let what I need to do drive my OS choice,
So do I.

> I don't let my OS choice drive
> what I can do.
Linux has more applications for what I need to do, and they originaly
drove my choice.

>  There is no phobia amongst windows users ("wintrols") about
A Windows user is not a 'Wintrol', a Windoews user is a 'Windows user'.

A Wintroll, is a Windows advocate who uses underhand methods to post
on COLA, to cause argument and FUD.

> paying for a browser, just that the best browser you can get for Windows
> happens to be free.
It's not an accident.

I can recall the days when IE in its infancy sucked green Acturian monkey
dick thru a straw, compared to Netscape. In those days Netscape was the
better browser.

However Netscape wasn't free.

Microsoft using pretitory trade practices, killed Netscape by offering
IE for free.

Let's see what happens if Microsoft ever starts charging for IE!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 04:44:48 +0200

"Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Martel"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>Hmmm... You don't suppose this is a prelude to discontinuing the
> >>product, do you?
> >
> > Hope so. IMO Borland's become too much like all the other
> > milk-the-consumer software outfits. I'd rather not see the
> > consumer-as-cash-cow attitude brought to linux.
>
> And I hope not.   A good cross-platform development environment could have
> the beneficial side effect of bringing a lot of Windows programmers and
> their products into the Linux world.   They're knocking eighty percent off
> the price and you accuse them of milking the customer?  It looks to me
> like they're doing their absolute best to appeal to the more fiscally
> responsible Linux development market.

Actually, what is annoying is that they suddenly drop 80% of the price and
give no solution to those who paid a *grand* for it.
I can't imagine what Borland was thinking.

> You might not like Borland all that much, but at least they're responding
> to demand.  I have yet to see a shipping copy of VisualStudio.NET for
> Linux come out of the Redmondian empire.

I've yet to see a shipping copy of VisualStudio.NET for Windows come out of
the Redmondian empire.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 04:46:50 +0200

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:BWfR6.4534$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9f3vh9$rpg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:RsdR6.4508$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > XP will not require huge amounts of upgrades.  It will likely
> > > require 32MB (64 to be useable) just like 98, and it will run fine on
> > P133
> > > and up.
> >
> > No, it won't.
> > It requires 233Mhz and I believe 64MB to run.
> > 128MB is recommended.
>
> For the beta.  That's similar to the requirements that Windows 2000 had in
> beta, and it was eventually reduced to a P133/32MB.  It may require a bit
> more memory because of the new interface, but if you don't use it, it
should
> give similar memory requirements.

Regardless of the minimum requirements, it's a pain to use Win2K on a
machine with ~ 64MB.
There was a list of services that are needed, and all else you can close, (I
think it was 4 or 5 that you need to keep on going, but I lost it, anyone
can point it out to me?) but even then, it would still take 32MB or so.
Swapping is not fun.