From: NOW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft OS, no full OS CD Re: More Dirty Microsoft Tactics
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:35:32 -0600

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8hj8s7$76m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Given the original title of the thread, 'More Dirty Microsoft Tactics,'
> > I almost didn't bother to read it.  But after following up on Tim's
> > links I see that this is legitimate.  What a horrible decision by
> > Microsoft.

> Something to think about is this.  Major OEM's *CHOOSE* to use this method.
> The OEM could easily buy complete OEM liscenses from MS as well, but they
> would end up paying a slightly higher price.  OEM's are doing this to hike
> up their profits.

Well, in 1995 this was true... and I hated Dell for causing me
days of downtime to avoid sending a $1.50 cdrom along with
my $3100 computer.  But did you read this from the first cited
link?

(http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml)

"After conferring with Microsoft again, my OEM could only tell me
that my concerns were very real ones, but Microsoft just says they
know we're not going to like this but this is how it's going to be."

Furthermore,

"According to Microsoft representatives, as of April 1 the company
changed its OEM media policies for all versions of Windows except
for the Server Edition of Windows 2000, for which one still gets a
regular backup CD"

This isn't coming from the OEMs.  Microsoft changed its policies
underneath the OEMs, and left it to them to break it to us, the
customer.
I haven't seen any indication that Microsoft lowered its prices
to the OEMs at the time they shortened the leash on cd distribution.

Maybe it's true that the OEMs could jack up their payments to
Microsoft to regain the former distribution rights.  But raising
prices without offering extra benefits or services is just the
kind of thing Microsoft can get away with only because of
who they are.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Subject: Re: How many years for Linux to catch up to NT on the desktop ?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 06:44:59 GMT

On 7 Jun 2000 03:14:50 GMT,
Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 6 Jun 2000 18:07:24 -0500, Leslie Mikesell wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Updates can be a simple as clicking the 'updates'
>>icon on the Mandrake desktop.
>
>This only works if the software ships with your distribution.

Uhhm...ever heard of this thing called the "Internet"? The update tool
downloads the updates from there.

>Even then,
>upgrades across major releases don't work very well.

They've been working fine for me on Debian since '96.

Perry

------------------------------

From: Martijn Bruns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux first in ATA 100 support!
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 09:11:14 +0200

Charlie Ebert schreef:

> Who says Windows is ahead of Linux?
>
> Windows doesn't have support for ATA 100 yet.
>
> Suse announced support this week.
>
> Linux was first to support USB.
>
> Let's look at other things which make Linux ahead of Windows.
> Linux has several SQL databases, word processors, spreadsheets,
> development platforms,  superior and numerious internet connectivity,
> superior networking capabilities, installs from DVD without third party
> drivers....
>
> There are more applications offered with Linux for free than any
> other operating system.  It's true!  You'd have to spend thousands
> of dollars to get the SAME application support for a Windows OS.
>
> Windows doesn't give you any of these things!
>
> So why is Windows so superior?  Windows has windowdressing.
>
> Charlie

Could you provide us with a URL? I can't find it quickly on
suse.com

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 02:20:14 -0500

NOW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > Something to think about is this.  Major OEM's *CHOOSE* to use this
method.
> > The OEM could easily buy complete OEM liscenses from MS as well, but
they
> > would end up paying a slightly higher price.  OEM's are doing this to
hike
> > up their profits.
>

> Well, in 1995 this was true... and I hated Dell for causing me
> days of downtime to avoid sending a $1.50 cdrom along with
> my $3100 computer.  But did you read this from the first cited
> link?
>
> (http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml)
>
> "After conferring with Microsoft again, my OEM could only tell me
> that my concerns were very real ones, but Microsoft just says they
> know we're not going to like this but this is how it's going to be."
>
> Furthermore,
>
> "According to Microsoft representatives, as of April 1 the company
> changed its OEM media policies for all versions of Windows except
> for the Server Edition of Windows 2000, for which one still gets a
> regular backup CD"
>
> This isn't coming from the OEMs.  Microsoft changed its policies
> underneath the OEMs, and left it to them to break it to us, the
> customer.
> I haven't seen any indication that Microsoft lowered its prices
> to the OEMs at the time they shortened the leash on cd distribution.
>
> Maybe it's true that the OEMs could jack up their payments to
> Microsoft to regain the former distribution rights.  But raising
> prices without offering extra benefits or services is just the
> kind of thing Microsoft can get away with only because of
> who they are.

Also from the same link:

"Microsoft has quietly implemented a policy through which OEM hardware
manufacturers who license Windows directly from Microsoft no longer ship a
full backup CD of the OS with their systems."

In other words, the policy only effects OEM that's directly liscense windows
from MS, rather than OEM's that buy Windows from a distributor.  The OEM's
that liscense directly from MS do so because they have large volume and can
negotiate better prices than distributors sell at.  The OEM does this to
save money.

Also from the same link:

>From the third link:

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/06/05/000605opfoster.xml

"Others opined that the large PC manufacturers, rather than Microsoft, might
be driving the no-CD bandwagon. "Microsoft may be removing the full Windows
CD to eliminate piracy, but there is another likely scenario," suggested one
official at a small PC manufacturer that does not license Windows directly
from Microsoft. "It's also possible that the major manufacturers asked
Microsoft to eliminate everything except the license to reduce their costs
and Microsoft said OK. I noted in your article [last week] that most of the
nasty-sounding quotes attributed to Microsoft actually came from
manufacturer's reps. I'll bet that the direct-license manufacturers could
buy and include the full package if they wanted to." "

------------------------------

From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 07:52:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Heston) wrote:
> According to EdWIN  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  herodotus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   [ ... ]
> >> Putting my head up my own ass is the only thing that takes my
> >> mind
> >> off my pain when I have to use Windows.
>
> >Thanks for admitting where you keep your head.  So what is
so "painful"
> >about Windows?
>
> 1) Administering it;

Why is it "painful" to administer?   Specifics, please.

> 2) Using it.

What's "painful" about using Windows?   Again, specifics please.

> Those who have never tasted cake are satisfied with bread...

I've used other platforms such as the Amiga and the Mac, yet I'm
satisfied with Windows, and I feel no pain.   Go figure.

--
"Let all who oppose the OverMind feel the Fury of the Swarm!"
-- Infested Kerrigan, aka The Queen of Blades, StarCraft.

From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 08:16:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Heston) wrote:
> According to EdWIN  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mathew) wrote:
>
> >>This is known as the "Eat shit! Fifty billion flies can't be wrong!"
> >>argument.
>
> >Nope.  Windows isn't "shit," so it's not that kind of argument.
>
> Right; Windows doesn't get up to that level of QA.

Why not?   It works very well.

> >>I say let the company move their critical infrastructure to NT,
watch it
> >>fall over several times a week, then say "I told you so".
>
> Doesn't work; you get told to fix it, then you get blamed for it,
then you
> get canned for not fixing it.

Why hasn't that happened where I work?

> >My employer moved to NT years ago, and it doesn't "fall over
> >several times a week."
>
> Oh, someone else who reboots all their servers weekly.

Nope.

> Still doesn't
> eliminate BSODs, just reduces them.

How do you reduce those to less than none?

> >You do know that Motorola, Adobe, and Pixar have all
> >standardized on NT, right?
>
> ...which tripled their hardware requirements per server, not to
mention
> requiring four times as many. Then you end up with a weaker overalll
> architecture.

Gee, so you mean Steve Jobs thought it would be a great thing for Pixar
to triple its hardware requirements per server, while quadrupling his
number of servers, all to achieve a weaker overall architecture?   What
kind of idiot is Steve Jobs?  And what about those fools at Adobe and
Motorola who wanted to do the same?   Steve Jobs must have talked them
into it, huh?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram)
Subject: Re: Linux User Counts, - time for an update
Date: 7 Jun 2000 06:23:14 GMT

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8hdbop$204$10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> PS:  Ah, Dres don´t have no signature, na na na naaaaaa na!!!!
>
>Nope, never had never will, they are lame. just a waste of bandwidth and
>clutters up replies - I'd rather be using HTML posts than sigs. if we're to
>that.

The difference being that signatures are allowed (and even encouraged
for Usenet and mailing lists) in the netiquette rfc (rfc1855). HTML,
being a MIME extension is *not* allowed in rfc1036 (Usenet message
format).
Contrary to the coders and designers in Redmond, the coders and
designers in the Unix world are at least trying to conform to the rfc's.

Cheers,
Rob (no you do not *have* to have a .sig)
--
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
   To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram)
Subject: Re: How Pete Goodwin Can Fix "The sad Linux story"
Date: 7 Jun 2000 08:30:38 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 1 Jun 2000 23:58:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk) wrote:
>>Note that names of Microsoft Windows programs like Excel,
>>Powerpoint, Outlook, Quicken, etc., make even less sense.
>>They aren't even abbreviations or terse descriptions.
>
>Walk up to 100 people on Wall Street in NYC and say "Excel" what it
>is? and see what they say.

Walk up to the same 100 people and ask them what "Performance Monitor"
is. And while you're at it, as them how to invoke "RunAs" in W2K.
Discussing the naming of commands is lame. Neither of them is intuitive,
they are both learned.

>>Write a script that puts on the screen a nice help chart with
>>lines like "change directory -- cd".  Name it "help", so if
>>people type "help" it will come up.
>
>Sounds like Windows/DOS to me.
>
>Dir /help tells you what dir is.

That's not the same. Almost every GNU tool has a --help option. Try ls
--help and be overwhelmed with the info you get!

>Why bother? Windows already has a linked help system that blows Linux
>out of the water. That's the primary reason why there is so little
>Windows documentation in print. You don't need it.

No, it doesn't, because the info you get is insufficient, period.
If you really want to see context sensitive help, go take a look at
OS/400.

>Why should one have to work at it? This is proof of the fallacy of
>Open Sores and free software. You pay with your time.

Indeed. And you learn a heck of a lot more during the process.

Cheers,
Rob
--
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
   145 = 1! + 4! + 5!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram)
Subject: Re: Once again: Open-Source != Security; PGP Provides Example
Date: 7 Jun 2000 06:11:33 GMT

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8hdbop$204$10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [Dres, learn to post!]
>
>Marc, spell my name right to begin with and pick a better argument, this is
>a losing one for you.

Do you mean your name (Alex Boge) or your pseudonym (Drestin Black) ?

Cheers,
Rob
--
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
   No, I'm not interested in developing a powerful brain.  All I'm after

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.lang.basic
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
Date: 7 Jun 2000 09:39:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Geo  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> PLEASE! remove alt.lang.basic from distribution of this chatter!
[ stuff irrelevant to my point elided ]

It won't work.  Every message has its own set of newsgroups, and it is
the responsibility of each poster to determine where their messages
go.  However, this is normally done based on the suggestion given in
the message to which they are replying, and in the heat of discussion,
it is all to easy to omit to target a message towards its appropriate
groups.

Trying to stop a flamewar from careening out of control across USENET
is like wrestling with excrement-flavoured jello.

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:32:43 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> >>I don't care for a system which goes on and on for years, since I
generally
> >>turn it off when I'm done with it, especially if it doesn't do what I
would
> >>like it to do ?
>
> The fact that it can go on and on and on for years is merely a
> reflection of the fact that is is unlikely to stop working
> before you have ordained it. Downtime isn't the problem, UNPLANNED
> downtime is. That's what robustness prevents and why in any other
> product is is valued.

Agreed. But, my computer 99.44% of the time stays up long enough form me to
do my stuff _and_ allows me to do my stuff.

> You don't want your TV to stop working in the middle of that great
> show, or your car to suddenly break when you are on that Arizona
> highway.

So you can conceive that I may be happy with my Windows systems since they
work from the moment I turn them on, do my stuff, and turn them off ?

Just for kicks I've kept my NT at work on to see when it will croak. So
far...

C:\Tools>uptime

Uptime - system uptime utility for Windows NT
by Mark Russinovich
Systems Internals - http://www.sysinternals.com

This computer has been up for 13 days, 22 hours, 24 minutes, 30 seconds.

C:\Tools>

Paul 'Z' Ewande

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: OSWars 2000 at www.stardock.com
Date: 7 Jun 2000 10:34:09 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000 15:34:57 "Brad" wrote:

¯What "work" is it that you do?  We know you spend time on the Internet but
¯what work are you using OS/2 to get done?

Technical documentation; editing; translation; online help
systems; business web page design and implementation

¯You keep making these claims on how there's all this development going on
¯for OS/2 and how OS/2 is doing just fine which just flies in the face of
¯reality.

Your *concept* of reality is just that - your *concept* of
reality.

Papyrus just came out for OS/2; PMView was just updated for
OS/2; DragText was just updated for OS/2; a new kernel was
just delivered for OS/2; a new Warp Client is due for the
fall; a new Netscape is due for the fall; WarpZip was
recently updated; Nice Enhancer; Maul Publisher; NFTP;
SmartBar; SmartCache; PMNapster; WarpNote.

This was just in the last month alone. Too bad if you don't
consider that reality. It's reality to me.

[RJ]                 OS/2 - Live it, or live with it.
rj friedman          Team ABW
Taipei, Taiwan       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To send email - remove the `yyy'

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rj friedman)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 7 Jun 2000 10:53:33 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000 16:06:39 "Brad" wrote:

¯< snip of ignorant comments that basically say "OD on OS/2 is junk and there
¯are a bunch of magical but unnamed freeware utilities that do everything in
¯it better and no one likes it>

It's erroneous, extremist, thinking like this that
demonstrates your stubborness and arrogance, and is probably
why Stardock was never able to respond to the changed OS/2
focus.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 7 Jun 2000 10:52:53 GMT

In article <8h2r1j$t60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Out of mild interest, I took a look at a few of the headers. All these
> Eliza-like posts seem to come from the same source, irrespective of the sig:

> The last bit is the source.
>
> I tried to avoid saying "this person needs help". Instead I'll suggest
> he needs a few core files sent his way, after a quick search for his
> real address on deja!

Just killfile on the appropriate path elements or some other suitable
bit of the header (or even set up a cancelbot.  >:^)  I have the whole
of the comp.os.os2.* hierarchy killed this way for raving fuckwitism...

Donal.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 7 Jun 2000 10:45:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dowe Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yea, I get pretty tired after about 100 lines of code with comment's in
> this vien:
>
> print "\t$header\n";  # Print the header.
>
> This probibly comes from people who had programming instructors like mine
> that would take points away if you didn't have a comment for every
> instruction.

Well, I'd be docking marks (and possibly giving a scathing mini-
-lecture too) for that sort of trick.  Comments should express the
high-level meaning and intentional behaviour of the code, and not act
as mechanisms of obfuscation.

> There are situations however where a comment can help one figure out what
> a particular algorithm is doing.
>
> My meathod FWIW is to put a comment at the start of the program telling
> what the program is supposed to do, and how to get ahold of me.  A comment
> at the beginning of every function explaining what the function does and
> how it fits into the general scheme of things, and a comment or two about
> any particularly nasty or clever crocks (This comment is usually followed
> by a plea for someone to fix this please :).

An excellent tactic that is (apparently) applied in the Java libraries
and is certainly applied in the Tcl/Tk sources.

> BTW: I use perl, and I happen to think that perl can be just as readable
> as any other programming language.

If you can get over its over-fondness for line-noise...  :^)

Donal.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Scott TOK)
Subject: Re: Linux vendors
Date: 7 Jun 2000 13:04:30 +0200

In article <q3SZ4.2744$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jorge Cueto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think there will be finally three distros. A couple of commercial ones
>fighting one against other (as at most products it does happen) and
>Debian for free, alone, quietly, without hurries, but smooth as silk, and
>free of all those "like windoze" installation programs and added value
>packages (anyway, you can download if you want them). Which will
>be those two distros ? Can't know just now, I think there will be merges,
>boughts and fights, but I guess SuSE could easily be one and Redhat
>the other ... with sequels such as Mandrake borning and dying once
>and another. Sure I am completly wrong, but well ... it is difficult to
>think after eating a lot :-), any comments ? (not about food)

I think Slackware will always be around for those who like their Linux
machines to act like workstations and not like Pee Cees.  No wasting
time and space with fancy window managers...

--
cu,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/