From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:41:54 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > > Well, I'm not going to lie, I don't like your sig.
> > > It's *HUGE* sig, and it's HIGHLY annoying.
> >
> > Yes.  it's especially annoying to those who try to troll me by
> > limiting the impact of their lies.
>
> Ha? How does lies have to do with your sig?

It has proven quite effective at making those mentioned to CEASE
telling lies about me.

> > > Please remove or shorten it.
> >
> > Make me.
>
> I can't.

Then why did you make a demand which you cannot enforce.

> I merely made a polite request to something I find offensive.

I find the behavior of the people listed below offensive.

> Most sigs are only a five or four lines short, yours is way too long.

Define "too long" in a way that is not tied to 1985 technology.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:43:32 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bruce Schuck wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> the
> > > first 64
> might've
> > > meant
> the
> > > memory was

> it
> then
> had

> > > I've run Windows NT Server on a 486 with no problem. I admit it wasn't
> as fast
> > > as I liked but it ran just fine.
> >
> > Tell us another lie.
>
> I leave the lying (and threatening to kill) to ignorant Unix geeks like you.

Microsoft admin:  Better order pizza...the server's down...again...

UNIX admin: zzzzzzzzz...oh? time to go home?  Oh Good.  Glad MY SHIT **WORKS***

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:44:32 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bruce Schuck wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> the
> > > first 64
> might've
> > > meant
> the
> > > memory was

> it
> then
> had

> > > I've run Windows NT Server a 486 with no problem. I admit it wasn't as
> fast
> > > as I liked but it ran just fine.
> >
> > Ypu don't say whoch one. 3.5.1 will go on a 486 (if you could be arsed
> > with 300 floppies). I'd love to see NT4 on a 486 with ie5.
>
> It was NT4. And NT4 installs just fine from a network folder. You don't need
> floppies.

Aned of course...with all of that windowed overhead, it just FLIES, doesn't it.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: so REALLY, what's the matter with Microsoft?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:48:09 -0500

"Benny K.Y. Li" wrote:

> There are people who say it's a monopoly....but what's wrong with monopoly
> if it's good?

False premise.

Hint.  Microsoft is *NOT* good.

Their products suck eggs.

Hope that helps

> So I assume those people really mean that Microsoft apps suck.

Somewhat.  Their OS REAAAAAAAAAAALLLY sucks.

> But why do they suck?

Because it's bug-ridden bloat-ware that destroys it's own filesystems
and configuration data.

> Is it because Microsoft pays less for their engineers so they're less
> productive?

Who the fuck cares.  Gates has enough $$$$ to hire people to fix it.
But that's not on the agenda....as long as you're willing to keep on
bending over, and taking it up the poop-chute for bill, he's quit
content to continue screwing you.

> Is it because MS pays more but hired bad engineers (with bad fortune).

Why the fuck are you making excuses for poor performance?

> Is it because actually ALL good engineers/programmers are those who write
> codes for free? (if so, and MS gives Linus Torvalds/Alan Cox/RMS a few
> bagels + water each day, and promised them to release the codes, will they
> work for MS too?)

More like: The design is incoherent, and the leadership really doesn't
care about the product, as long as marketing can get people to buy it.

> Or...actually people are just being religious with Microsoft, the same way
> as they are with "666"?
>
> - Ben

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Bruce Hoult <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: history of software engineering (was: Re: Ms employees begging for food)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:15:41 +1300

> Terje Mathisen wrote:
>
> > I recently got a copy of the 20-year anniversary edition of "The
> > Mythical Man-Month", which was issued in 1995.
>
> Is is just a reprint, or is the book revised or expanded?

There's extra stuff at the end, including his "No Silver Bullet" paper.
He consciously decided not to change the text itself, but has added some
fairly extensive footnotes in various places to update it.

It's several years since I read it, but I seem to recall that he was
quite positive about OOP in general, and also about the Macintosh.

-- Bruce

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:52:09 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bruce Schuck wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Windows
> > > Me.

> > > PC,
> > > raise

> less.

> product

> pay
> products

> > > cheap

> > > By retail I meant the stand, no discount price. And lots of vendors pay
> that
> > > price.
> >
> > When the "discount" price is the prevailing price, that *IS* the price.
>
> It's not the prevailing price. The retail price in the stores is the
> prevailing price.

That's the prevailing CONSUMER price.

Forcing an OEM to pay retail when all other OEM's are paying wholesale
price, for merely offering a competing OS...is OBSTRUCTION OF TRADE
and it is ILLEGAL.

> Get a clue.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Static66 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:19:39 GMT

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:59:53 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>John Fereira wrote:
>>
>> In article <rGPK5.116711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bruce Schuck"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >run

>> >other

>> >strongly
>> >them

>> >A sizeable portion? Are you trying to tell me dealers sell both Ford and GM
>> >and Chrysler cars?
>> >
>> >Never seen it.
>> >
>> >Or are you talking Ford/VW and GM/Volvo.
>> >
>> >That I've seen. And I've seen Auto Malls where multiple separate dealers
>> >sell cars.
>>
>> Are you sure they're separate?   Out in the south SF bay area there is a
>> company called the "Lucas Dealership Group".  It's one company that owns
>> mulitple dealerships that include almost all of the major domestic and
>> foreign models.  I've seen the same thing in several other places.  Each
>> dealership might be limited to one or two manufacturers but they're all owned
>> by the same company.
>
>And the reason that they can compete is because the automakers are NOT
>allowed to discontinue volume discounts just because the dealership
>sells competitors products.
>
>The computer industry should be the same.
>

>> John Fereira
>> Ithaca, NY
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I gotta disagree with you on this one. I think the LESS government
MANDATES the better off we all are.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Oh this is a good one
Date: 30 Oct 2000 23:20:20 GMT

A 'whois' of microsoft, Oct 30th, 6:20pm, EST

mymachine# whois microsoft.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

MICROSOFT.COM.SE.FAIT.HAX0RIZER.PAR.TOUT.LE.ZOY.ORG
MICROSOFT.COM.OWNED.BY.MAT.HACKSWARE.COM
MICROSOFT.COM.N-AIME.BILL.QUE.QUAND.IL.N-EST.PAS.NU
MICROSOFT.COM.IS.SECRETLY.RUN.BY.ILLUMINATI.TERRORISTS.NET
MICROSOFT.COM.IS.AT.THE.MERCY.OF.DETRIMENT.ORG
MICROSOFT.COM.INSPIRES.COPYCAT.WANNABE.SUBVERSIVES.NET
MICROSOFT.COM.HAS.NO.LINUXCLUE.COM
MICROSOFT.COM.HACKED.BY.HACKSWARE.COM
MICROSOFT.COM.FAIT.VRAIMENT.DES.LOGICIELS.A.TROIS.FRANCS.DOUZE.ORG
MICROSOFT.COM

To single out one record, look it up with "xxx", where xxx is one of the
of the records displayed above. If the records are the same, look them up
with "=xxx" to receive a full display for each record.

>>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:24:01 EST <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

Whats that, you say microsoft does its own DNS with windows2000?

I see.

:)

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Oh this is a good one
Date: 30 Oct 2000 23:22:13 GMT

. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A 'whois' of microsoft, Oct 30th, 6:20pm, EST

> mymachine# whois microsoft.com

> Whois Server Version 1.3

> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.

> MICROSOFT.COM.SE.FAIT.HAX0RIZER.PAR.TOUT.LE.ZOY.ORG
> MICROSOFT.COM.OWNED.BY.MAT.HACKSWARE.COM
> MICROSOFT.COM.N-AIME.BILL.QUE.QUAND.IL.N-EST.PAS.NU
> MICROSOFT.COM.IS.SECRETLY.RUN.BY.ILLUMINATI.TERRORISTS.NET
> MICROSOFT.COM.IS.AT.THE.MERCY.OF.DETRIMENT.ORG
> MICROSOFT.COM.INSPIRES.COPYCAT.WANNABE.SUBVERSIVES.NET
> MICROSOFT.COM.HAS.NO.LINUXCLUE.COM
> MICROSOFT.COM.HACKED.BY.HACKSWARE.COM
> MICROSOFT.COM.FAIT.VRAIMENT.DES.LOGICIELS.A.TROIS.FRANCS.DOUZE.ORG
> MICROSOFT.COM

> To single out one record, look it up with "xxx", where xxx is one of the
> of the records displayed above. If the records are the same, look them up
> with "=xxx" to receive a full display for each record.

> The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
> Registrars.

> Whats that, you say microsoft does its own DNS with windows2000?

> I see.

> :)

Ah, I have just been informed that its been like this for about a week.

Way to go, microsoft.

=====.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays.
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:22:56 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > There is no evidence to support this.  Netcraft does not count the
> number of
> > > servers, it only counts the number of hosts.  A single server can have
> > > multiple, even 10's of thousands of hosts.
> >
> > There are a few interesting statistics here:
> >
> > (A) Multiple servers per IP in a load balanced environment.
> > (B) Multiple IPs/Host names per server.
> >
> > There is no real evidence that the ratio of A to B varies across OS. So
> > one these are irrelevant.
>
> Take a look at the typical Linux site, then compare that to the typical IIS
> site.
>
> How many multi-server load balanced Linux sites can you come up with?
> Google is a good one, but it's a rarity.

I know I have set up a couple. I hardly think it is a rarity. Lacking
any proof one way or another, I think this argument is pointless.
(Except places like penguin computing and VA research are selling a lot
of 2U boxes!)

> Meanwhile, Look at sites like microsoft.com, barnesandnoble.com, ebay,
> NASDAQ, and hundreds of other major ebusiness sites that all run mutiple IIS
> hosts on a single site.

These are HUGE sites that Microsoft recruits with reckless abandon, for
just these sorts of arguments. MS is there to support them because they
are example sites. The lowly startup would not get that support, nor
that value.

> Linux seems to run several "domain squatter" sites, where they register
> hundreds or thousands of domains and direct them to the same server.

The above is an opinion, as such you are welcome to keep it, however,
unless you can some up with some verifiable statistics, it will remain
an opinion I feel has no merit. I know of a few major sites running
Linux and FreeBSD.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:25:59 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why don't I use Linux?

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> dir for directory is less cryptic than ls;

Not when the things being displayed are called folders, as in Windows.

> type as in typea file is less cryptic than cat;

Type is quite misleading.  But it would be very easy to install a system wide
alias or symbolic link for type.

> find is less cryptic than grep;

grep is not the same as Windows find.   Linux find does what you want.  No
problem here.

> Seems perfectly simple to me.

Only because you are used to the Windows way of doing things.

Gary

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:28:38 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> type is less cryptic than cat
> dir is less cryptic than ls
> find is more meaningful than grep

Once again you are confusing find and grep.   If you want a Linux equivalent
to find, use find.

Gary

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:31:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well, if it didn't, then why did everyone go to switched Ethernet just
>about as fast as they could afford to?

        Because you get vastly greater gross bandwidth, if you build
your network right. Just because a shared 100BaseT network is fully
capable of delivering 70 or 80 usable Mbps of shared gross bandwith to
a set of, say, a few dozen machines, doesn't mean that people didn't
want a few gigabits of usable gross bandwidth, at 100Mbps per station.

        Geez, that's a gimmee.

        You really ought to just concede defeat on this, since you're
just plain wrong.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:34:25 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I fixed it (was:Can Linux cut and paste?)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The problem turned out to have 2 causes.
>
> 1. Although 3 button mouse was selected in XF86Setup, Emulate 3
> buttons was not. Changing and applying it partially fixed the problem.
>
> 2. I can now cut and paste between kedit and Netscape but ONLY if I
> use the mouse to do everything. For example If I want to select all of
> the text I must use the mouse to highlight and copy and then middle
> button (actually 2 buttons at the same time) to paste it. This works.
>
> If I use select all from the drop from the kedit drop down menus then
> copy or cut from the same menu, I can't paste into Netscape (of kfm
> for that matter) either using the middle button or the menu.

kwrite works with select all.   It is a nicer editer than kedit anyway

Gary