  Re: Canada invites Microsoft north (Bob Germer)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory L. Hansen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: 7 Jun 2000 17:01:30 GMT

In article <393e6fca$16$obot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bob Germer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 06/05/2000 at 10:51 PM,
>   Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>> Chad Myers wrote:
>
>> I would not take anything you say serious unless you can tell us what
>> the hell is a Hoosier.
>
>Hoosier is the nickname for citizens of Indiana. It is also the nickname
>of Indiana University sports teams if memory serves.

It also means "ignorant bumpkin".  And it's a verb, meaning to screw
soething up.  For some reason, a lot of dictionaries don't seem to have
those definitions of hoosier.  But some do.

--
If I had a nickel for everytime someone said "If I had a nickel for every
time someone said..."...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Debian
Date: 7 Jun 2000 12:04:19 -0500

In article <Dor%4.1775$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pedro Coto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I've heard a lot of hype about Debian GNU/Linux being
>better than another ones. Why ? What does it have ?

You already know: a lot of hype.
Otherwise it is a different packaging/install system and
an all-volunteer organization with some specific rules
about the copyrights allowed on the included programs.

From: Camilo Rostoker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Segmentation Fault?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 11:09:07 -0600

Hi,
Everytime I try to view my processes, ie: ps , I get a segmentation
fault...Any ideas whats wrong?
camilo

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:48:38 GMT

On 06/07/2000 at 04:12 PM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) said:

> >> 4. im using apostrophes because its a good deed to be nice to old people

> > Why didn't you use one in im? Why didn't you capitalize the I? Stupidity
> > is always totally apparent.

> I thought the [sic] was implied in the above statement.  Apparantly
> besides being old, senile, and insane, you are stupid as well.

No, you committed a stupid mistake which would get a third grader marked
down and they tried unsuccessfully to paint feces white.

> >> 5. its not a false name

> > Then how come a search of several international databases, phone
> > information services, driver license records, etc. doesn't show anyone by
> > that name?

> 3. You are imagining that you searched 'international databases' and
> 'drivers license records'.  You didnt, bob.  Maybe you should go lie
> down for a while.

Well, personally, I did not search the driver license records. My
insurance agent did that one for me.

I searched 1010900, ATT 00 information, Bell Atlantic worldwide
information, MCI's worldwide information, and one other. I searched on 9
search engines on the internet without finding anyone named yttrx. I found
references to a cult by that name, not a human being.

And I had my niece who is an attorney run the name through the NCIC, FBI,
and Interpol with no human found by that name.

If you change your given name without court approval, you are using a
false name.

Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 12
MR/2 Ice 2.19zf Registration Number 67

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 17:17:16 GMT

On 06/07/2000 at 10:16 AM,
   Jack Troughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I do think our taxes are too high, esp. here in Quebec. However, it is
> egregious to take the US and Canada and compare them; the fact of our
> climate and geography and our smaller population (as well as some
> differing priorities esp. wrt health care) mean that we are going to pay
> more taxes. For me, living here is worth the extra money it costs. No
> matter what we do, we are going to pay more taxes than you will in the
> US simply because having a comfortable life in a country which is mostly
> comprised of a frozen desert is simply going to cost more. It's as
> simple as that.

I omitted much of your long post. I disagree with much of what it says.
For example, you claim Montreal spent about CDN $50 per person for snow
removal. Philadelphia spent that much just for overtime for streets
department employees and hired contractors. To that must be added the cost
of salt, fuel and maintenance for the plows, etc. Remember $50 CDN is only
$33 or so US.

Many of our urban highways wear out far faster than 7 years, even concrete
ones due to the much higher use our roadways get. While our winters on
average in New Jersey and Pennsylvania (the two states I know the most
about) are not as severe, you don't have to deal with hurricanes and
tropical storms. New Jersey is the most densly populated state in the
United States. Moreover, 40% of our land area is not open to development
of any kind. Thus we are even more densly populated than the statistics
show. When a coastal storm rides up the Jersey shore, the damage is
calculated in the hundreds of millions and sometimes billions of dollars
and this happens annually on average. Hurricanes wipe out whole cities on
occasion in Florida, the Carolinas, Georgia. Flooding along the
Missouri-Mississippi system causes billions of dollars of damage every few
years and tens of millions or more in a slow flood year.

Just one hurricane, Hugo, a few years back caused over $80,000,000,000 in
damage in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Homeowners are not
insured, for the most part, against floods. The taxpayers pick up the tab.
Just this Spring, a freak northeaster dumped so much rain on a small town
called Darby outside Philadelphia that over a thousand homes had to be
abandoned and destroyed. Since Darby is not within a known flood hazard
area, no mortgage company required Federal Flood Insurance. Thus the
taxpayers have to fork over approximately $75,000,000 in no interest loans
to allow those folks to buy new homes. Most of those loans will wind up
being 'forgiven' by the government after 10 years or so.

And how can an anglophone live in Quebec and call himself free? If he owns
a store, he cannot advertise to his English speaking customers. He has to
send out his bills in two languages. He isn't allowed to list his address
as Potato Street since that street is now named Rue Pomme de Terre. If he
doesn't speak French, he cannot get a Civil Service job from what I've
been told by Francophones in Montreal.

There are far more Asians living in Vancouver, BC than Francophones.
Street signs there are in English and French. How is that fair to the
Asians?

We have far more Hispanic Americans that you have Francophone Canadians.
We don't force the majority to use two languages just to satisfy a
minority. I wonder how much this pandering to a noisy minority costs the
average Canadian. I am sure it would buy thousands of MRI machines.

What is the unemployment rate in Montreal and the Province of Quebec as
opposed to Canada as a whole, as compared to the rest of Canada without
including Quebec?

From: John Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Pete Goodwin Can Fix "The sad Linux story"
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 11:50:35 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> And Linux is not Unix.

        Why not?
--
John W. Sanders
===============

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: How many years for Linux to catch up to NT on the desktop ?
Date: 7 Jun 2000 12:15:42 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>     You can't even grok Windows-isms in another enviroment, you
>>     can't be too bright or experienced.
>
>Yeah right. Your arrogance is astounding.

But you seem to be the one who thinks everyone else's box
must have the same problems as yours.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: More Dirty Microsoft Tactics
Date: 7 Jun 2000 12:21:52 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mikey  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thus Sprake billy ball:
>
>> QUOTE:
>>
>> "The lack of a CD-ROM will clearly serve as a disincentive to anyone
>> wishing to experiment with Linux."
>>
>> An IT manager at a large manufacturer says that's exactly what Microsoft
>> officials told him. "I spoke to some of my contacts there, and found out
>> that the medialess format is primarily designed to be a firewall against
>> competitors like Linux," he wrote, explaining it will make it harder to
>> have a back-out strategy in place if an experimental Linux deployment gets
>> into trouble."
>
>PAH!  Nothing that an FTP install, or an external CD-ROM can't cure.

The missing piece is the CDROM media containing the Windows OS
to reinstall if you decide to go back, not the drive.  And
the correct solution is to send the machine back to the vendor
within the warrantee period with the disk erased if you can't fix
it the way you want yourself.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:35:06 -0700

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 19:47:31 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mig Mig) wrote in <8hh4s4$5jl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
>>Pete nobody is saying that Linux is perfect! If it was then there would
>>be no nead to improve it... i find many annoying things in Linux but i
>>allways come around them by doing a minimum of research.
>
>But you are saying Linux is better than Windows, and that is where I beg to
>differ.

Perhaps he is saying that linux is better for _him_ than windows. I know
I do. Perhaps windows is better for you, if so, you should consider sticking
with windows. Not to discourage you from trying linux, but you don't post this
stuff to any of the linux help newsgroups, just to advocacy, why is that?

>>As abraxas pointed out.. .in order to get the best out of a operating
>>system - no matter wich one - you have to do an effort.... its really
>>not very hard to find the relevant information. You even have access to
>>the Internet and dont even try to search for info on deja.com or
>>websites.
>
>Internet access costs me money. I'm not living in America where local phone
>calls are free, they cost me money.

Yet you spend time (and money) ranting about linux on advocacy?

>>Youre just not up to the task of running Linux.. so why not just use
>>Windows that you know and serves you well and give up on trying to be
>>"geeky" - youre not succeeding at it (and its actually not very hard)
>
>8) Funny, that old PC 166MHz sitting near me is (gasp) running Linux!
>
>Now let me see, how many years did I work on UNIX, (Digital Unix). Oh a
>couple here and there.

And yet you didn't know much about man pages or cut and paste in X?

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 10:50:24 -0700

In article <393e40d6$6$obot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bob Germer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 06/06/2000 at 03:48 PM,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) said:
>

>>      Apple had long had a policy of charging premium pricing, which  cost it
>> market share. However, Steve Jobs seems to have learned the error  of
>> Apple's former ways.
>
>> >The Mac OS failed because it was rejected by American business which
>> >adopted the Intel platform because of much superior software,
>
>>      Superior in what way?
>
>There were at least 5 major word processing programs for the Intel
>platform in 1984 when these decisions were made, WordStar, Word,
>WordPerfect, Volkswriter, and one whose name I don't recall.
>
>Lotus 1-2-3 gave functionality on an order of magnitude greater than
>anything available for the Apples.

You mean like Excel?

>From the start, the Intel platform machines could be networked and tied to
>mainframes.

Tied to the mainframe: yes. IBM thought that they could control the PC
industry and guide it by essentially turning desktop PCs into mainframe
terminals.

Networked to each other: references please. The first Macs were
networkable and the Macintosh Office was touted starting in March of
1985 with the release of the LaserWriter (IIRC)

>> > choices
>> >regarding hardware,
>
>>      I'll concede that, but that has often come with cranky drivers.
>> Macintoshes, however, have had *real* plug-and-play for years.
>
>> > easier employee training, etc.
>
>>      That's news to me.
>
>Well, it wasn't to American Business.
>
>> > The Mac was seen as a
>> >basic machine suitable only for the classroom by the leaders of
>> >American
>> >Industry which was a very, very accurate assessment of what was, is and
>> >will remain a bit player in a minor road company of the computer world.
>> >Even the toy company produced Amiga of 1985 was superior to today's
>> >plastic bubble game consoles called Macs.
>
>>      Plastic bubble game consoles???
>
>That's how I classify the Mac.

>> >You certainly are. Only a true idiot on drugs and with serious mental
>> >disorders would consider a Mac superior to anything beyond an Atari.
>
>>      Have you ever *used* one?????
>
>Unfortunately, yes. They are very, very, very limited in their choice of
>software lacking a serious spreadsheet,...

Excel.

>... a serious database program, etc.

FileMaker (ODBC compliant, cross-platform), 4D.

>They totally lack expansion capability. Where, for example, is one going
>to install 4 additional hard disks?...

3 internally and one via Firewire?

>...How many different video cards are
>available?...

Not as many as for PCs, but we manage.

<http://www.megawolf.com/fenris.html>

<www.magma.com>

>... Which place do I install an internal Zip drive...

In the Zip bay?

>... and a second
>floppy drive?

USB?

>Plastic bubble toy seems just about a perfect description of a Mac. Its
>biggest option is the color of the bubble.

Right, Bob. How is life in fantasyland anyway?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 7 Jun 2000 12:43:08 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pascal Haakmat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Daniel Johnson wrote:
>
>>It's when you have *different* systems that interoperability
>>becomes a problem.
>
>That is the whole point of interoperability ..

I think it is absolutely amazing that people have become so
Microsoft-brainwashed that they think 'interoperability'
means something between two programs on the same machine
and often describe even that as a technological accomplishment.

From: Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 13:58:33 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:

>I think it is absolutely amazing that people have become so
>Microsoft-brainwashed that they think 'interoperability'
>means something between two programs on the same machine
>and often describe even that as a technological accomplishment.

What's your beef with application interoperability? Oh, sorry, I
forgot for a moment that you're one of the Unix-brainwashed. To you,
the X server's plain-text "selection buffer" probably represents the
ultimate in application interoperability.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 18:15:00 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 13:58:33 -0400, Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
>

>>I think it is absolutely amazing that people have become so
>>Microsoft-brainwashed that they think 'interoperability'
>>means something between two programs on the same machine
>>and often describe even that as a technological accomplishment.
>>

>What's your beef with application interoperability? Oh, sorry, I

        What application interoperability?

>forgot for a moment that you're one of the Unix-brainwashed. To you,
>the X server's plain-text "selection buffer" probably represents the
>ultimate in application interoperability.

        At least it doesn't require the equivalent of running the
        entire application that produced the data in a 'swallowed'
        windows. That isn't interoperability, that's sleight of hand.

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 18:19:22 GMT

On 06/07/2000 at 06:49 PM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lund) said:

> I see. And what parts of the Canadian (or Norwegian, for that matter)
> budget would you cut to accommodate this?

Well, in Canada I would start by cutting 20% of all Federal and Provincial
employees at the rate of 5% per year for four years. As Lee Iacocca once
said, I can cut any budget 5% and no one will notice the difference.

I would reform you equivalent of our Civil Service so that the total
compensation package for government employees was 5% lower than a
comparable job in the free market. I would require that all Civil Service
pay increases other than a cost of living allowance to make up for
inflation be based solely on merit and limited to the top 5% of employees
in any department.

Then I would stop the assinine pandering to the Francophones. I would
start privatizing trash collection, utilities, etc. I would allow fee for
services health care and the sale of hospitalization/health care plans on
the open market. I would foster competition in banking, insurance, etc. I
would make government health care the choice of last resort.

And to stimulate the economy I would cut taxes. We did most of these
things here in New Jersey over the last 7 years. Our unemployment rate
went from the third highest in the US in 1993 to one of the lowest. We
created nearly a million new jobs in the private sector. We made welfare
recipients go to work. We stopped welfare recipients from getting any
increased benefits for children conceived after the woman stopped
receiving public assistance. We tore down public housing and gave rent
assistance to the very poor.

And as a result, we have had a very significant decrease in violent crime,
bigger by far than the national average. We have increased state aid to
education by 40% and are increasing it more this year. We have provided
individual homeowners with significant rebate checks on their local and
school ad valorem taxes. We have provided significant state funding for
cultural buildings, parks, etc. in our poorest cities.

 For example, we used state monies to fund minor league ballparks in
Atlantic City and Trenton, a new ice hockey/basketball arena in Trenton,
expanded the State Aquarium and provided an outdoor/indoor concert venue
in Camden.

We provided tax incentives to private sector employers to move over
100,000 high tech jobs to New Jersey and to keep another 200,000 or so.

We have provided 85% of the funding to counties to buy the development
rights to farmland being pressured by suburban development. The farmer
keeps the farm in return for payment of large sums of money and forfeits
all future rights to subdivide the land, develop the land, etc. BTW, this
Green Acres program was not new in the last 7 years. But under the current
Administration we have expanded it thirty fold. We preserved more acres
last year alone than for the 20 or so years before the Whitman
administration went into office on January 1, 1994.

Call us Conservatives, Republicans, right wingers. The fact is that a
state which has elected two Democratic Senators and a majority of
Democratic Congresspersons during the last 7 years has elected a solidly
controlled Republican Assembly three times and a solidly controlled
Republican Senate twice. Essex County, primarily consisting of Newark and
East Orange plus a few smaller communities has elected and reelected a
Republican County Executive despite Democratic registration outnumbering
Republican by 7 or 8 to one.

Despite the fact that the majority of Burlington County residents live in
towns solidly Democratic in character and registration and which regularly
elect Democratic Mayors, etc., not one Democrat has won a County-wide
election in more than 30 years. Why? Because we right wing devils have not
raised taxes ONCE and have actually cut taxes at least five times in that
span. We have provided the 15% local funding to preserve more farm acreage
than in the other 20 counties in New Jersey combined. We have increased
services to the poor by more than 40% to the point that our average social
worker has no more than 20 cases at any time as opposed to a statewide
average of nearly 100. We have built a new Courthouse, a new County Human
Services building, and more than a handful of other new buildings. We have
increased funding to the County Library by 400% in terms of constant
dollars. We have built a state of the art recycling facility which accepts
trash from all over the state. We were the first county in New Jersey to
make recycling of glass, paper, aluminum, and plastic mandatory in every
municipality and provide the pickup service to the townships at no cost to
the townships, boroughs, cities, etc. This program alone has removed over
300 mentally challenged individuals from the welfare roles.

Perhaps it is because our Freeholders, (the five person board which runs
the County) has had primarily successful businessmen and businesswomen for
those 30 years. In that time, we have not elected a single career
politician. We have elected a couple of physicians, an architect, and
several engineers. Our County Clerk who is elected every four years was a
Vice President of a bank before winning the office he held for 6 terms.
But he also stayed on full-time at the bank until he reached retirement
age. Our surrogate for many years was a Public Accountant with a very
successful private practice.

We were one of the first counties in New Jersey to computerize land
records (deeds, mortgages, judgements, etc.). We were one of the first
counties in New Jersey to establish a county facility for learning
disabled students and provide bussing for them. We formed one of the first
Community Colleges in New Jersey and have now upgraded it to a four year,
bachelor degree granting college in part.

We have rebuilt over 1,000 bridges on county roads, resurfaced virtually
every inch of those roads, some several times. We have provided funds to
impoverished towns for urban renewal projects, to tear down substandard
and dangerous buildings, etc. We have started a fire school which is free
to all departments in the county. We provide meals on wheels to the
elderly who do not appear to be able to properly feed themselves.

And guess what? In all those years, not one county official has been
accused of misappropriation of funds, mismanagement, graft, etc. The
closest we came to a scandal was when a sheriff was accused during an
election of calling a Black woman deputy a "monkey" in a remark to one of
his other deputies who just happened to be running on the Democratic
ticket. He withdrew and a substitute Republican candidate won the election
by a 60-40 margin.

In New Jersey, we don't allow party line voting. We require each voter to
select his or her choices individually. Burlington County went for Clinton
in 1996 by a very narrow margin despite a Democratic registration
advantage of about 10%. I cannot give absolute percentages since the vast
majority of voters are listed as independents. But we surely must have
some of the most educated and aware voters in New Jersey since we can vote
Republican (as a county) while voting Democratic for President. During the
last 30 years we have only had two Republican governors, Tom Kean and
Christine Todd Whitman. We did not have a Republican controlled
legislature until the bi-election during Florio's term in 1991.

No matter what the party label, American are for the most part
conservatives. For 40 years of Democratic Party control of the House of
Representatives, a coalition of Democrats and Republicans have staunchly
refused to enact socialized medicine no matter whether a Democrat or
Republican occupied the White House. It is an amazing specticle to watch
the votes in the House and Senate on largely ideological issues such as
NAFTA or the China Trade Bill just passed. It was not the far right led by
the likes of Pat Buchanan or the ultra liberals led by Ted Kennedy and
friends who supported the bills. It was a combination of moderate
Democrats and Republicans which gave Bill Clinton those votes.

I watched the last vote live on CSPAN as well as two preceeding votes
forced by the liberals and far right trying to prevent a full house vote.
Far more Democrats voted with the Republicans than vice versa. If I
remember correctly about 19 Republicans and 45 Democrats voted against the
leadership of thier respective party.

And Burlington County and New Jersey are not unique. More than half our
states have Repubican Governors, many in states which voted for Clinton at
least once. If memory serves, New York has more Democratic Congressmen
than Republicans and both incumbent Senators, Shumer and Monyhan are
Democratc. In fact, Shumer won his Senate race while a Republican, Patiki
<sp>, ousted an incumbent Democrat for Governor. A conservative Republican
won the Michigan gubernatorial race against a Liberal Democrat last time
out. Texas, long a Democratic fiefdom, has now elected Republican Senators
and Governors repeatedly. The same is true of Florida which has a very
large liberal voting block of emigrees from New York, Philadelphia, etc.
who normally vote solidly Democratic.

Despite the liberal press and media who see Al Gore as a hero and publish
rigged polls from time to time, I expect George Bush to win handily come
November. The liberals have gone too far in the minds of the average
American putting tree frogs, spotted owls, etc. above people. Were there
widespread support for socialized medicine among the populace, it would
have happened. Not even Hillary at the height of her popularity could get
it out of committee despite Bill's arm twisting.