Linux-Advocacy Digest #66, Volume #27            Wed, 14 Jun 00 01:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals. (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K (Andres Soolo)
  Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals. (Gary Hallock)
  Re: democracy? ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: Boring ("Rich C")
  Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux (David M. Cook)
  Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Advocacy or Mental Illness ? (Andres Soolo)
  Re: Advocacy or Mental Illness ? (Andres Soolo)
  Re: iMacs With iTitude ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Linux advocate trapped inside a Windows Box ("Rich C")
  Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE ("Rich C")
  Re: Microsoft Stocks and your sanity... ("Robert L.")
  Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Run Linux on your desktop?  Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy  ("Bobby D.
Bryant")
  Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Simon MUST be in TROUBLE ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Simon MUST be in TROUBLE ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Run Linux on your desktop? Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy lies....
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux ("Bobby D. Bryant")

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:12:58 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K BSOD's documented *not* to be hardware (Was: lack of goals.

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> Does anyone know the dates?

According to www.x.org the first commercial version of Xwindows was released in 1986.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft migrates Hotmail to W2K
Date: 14 Jun 2000 03:16:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Um, no. I just believe that if you read the document and accompanying
> PDF
>> > you'll note that no hardware changes are requird and if you read the
> specs
>> > on the hardware you will find nothing special about them. I am able to
>> Umm, you're claiming that a system might be C2-secure if it's running
>> on a PC with known bugging devices attached?
> are you on drugs? where did you come up with that crap?
Deducted it from ``no hardware changes are required''.
Just trying to point out the hardware IS important.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Satire is what closes in New Haven.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:21:09 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tim Palmer wrote:

> What maiks you think that? Windows is everywhere. Version's of it run on home PC's
>and on large
> corparate networks. The fastest sistem on the TPC/C list (the space shuttal) runs
>Windows 2000.
> UNIX is used by a bunch of wining geeks on there old 386's (bycicals) because they
>do'nt think Bill
> Gaits desserves the money they woud halve to spend on a computer that can run Windos.

Really?   Windows in everywhere?  Not in my office.   I have a 64-bit dual processor
RS/6000 workstation
running AIX 4.3.  Next to it I have a Thinkpad running Linux.  I run Lotus Notes on
Linux on my Thinkpad
and redirect the display to my workstation.   There are about 1000 of these AIX boxes
in my area.  Then we
have a 12-way S/390 G6 running Linux on VM/ESA.  No Windows in sight.

Gary

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: democracy?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:28:37 -0500

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

+ In article <1Xt05.50135$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
+   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert J Carter) wrote:
+ <snip>
+ >
+ > I think it it YOU who are being misinformed. Saying a republic is
+ > cannot be a democracy is like saying an orange can't be a fruit. They
+ > are not mutually exclusive.
+
+ Lets see... when is an orange not a fruit?  When it's a color.

Cute.

+ Your metaphors, Just like your political philosophy, seem shallow and
+ inadequate.
+
+ FYI, a republic is a republic, a democracy is a democracy.  An orange is
+ an orange, and an apple is an apple.
+
+ You can blend aspects of the two, that's true, but, for the umpteenth
+ time, WORDS HAVE MEANINGS.  And "meaning" .NE. "interpretation".  Just
+ making an assertion doesn't change the definition of a word.
+
+ Why is this so hard for public-schooled kids to understand???

Good question, why dont you look up the meanings of the words democracy
and republic.. I already posted it as a matter of fact, they ARE NOT
mutually exclusive... You are telling people that words have meanings,
but yet you ignore them to share with use your own interpretation,
you are a hypocrite on this topic.  By the way, Usenet is an
international medium.

Semper Fi,

Andrew N. McGuire
--
/*-------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                      |

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boring
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:33:16 -0400

"2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > He's right about that....however he doesn't mention that serious audio
work
> > is also impossible on ANY Windows OS, none of which are realtime either.
The
> > ONLY way a windows OS provides ANY kind of decent audio is to throw so
much
> > hardware at it that you don't have any streaming underflows. Even with a
> > fast system, a good sound card, and decent software, you can get the
audio
> > to hiccup if you do enough other stuff in the background.
> >
> > Vanilla Linux (and ANY UNIX) is even worse in this regard. It is not
meant
> > to be a real time system. However, because Linux IS open source, and
despite
> > Linus' reluctance to incorporate them, there ARE extensions in existence
> > that can make Linux truly real-time (at least as real time as any
> > interrupt-driven system can be.)
>
> What is used for high horsepower real time audio work?

Well, I'm not really familiar with most of it, but i would assume something
like this:

http://www.coffeysound.com/cameo.htm#cameo

or this:

http://www.ams-neve.com/music/muscore.htm

or this:

http://bpgprod.sel.sony.com/matrix.bpg

All digital....embedded systems (or hybrid,) midi and RS-422
interfaces....custom GUIs for configuration......dedicated mixers, signal
processors, and DAT/CD/DVD recorders....not a windows box among them.....

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: 14 Jun 2000 03:30:28 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:16:47 GMT, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Let us know when Linux supports AHA1520 and SB16 without resorting to hand
>massage certain script files. Oh yeah, Windows supports these without even
>a hiccup.

SB16 support is trivial using sndconfig, so I'm not sure what you are
talking about.  I had a 1520 card (the Zip Zoom) that worked fine under
Linux since my Slackware days.  I did need to set IRQ and I/O base, but this
is hardly onerous and can be set using linuxconf or other GUI these days.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:41:50 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No it's not. I can stream 48 tracks of digital audio with full FFT
> based effects under WIndows 98SE without a hic-up. My scanner/printer
> is supported under Windows, just like 99 percent of every peice of
> hardware out on the market.
>
> Can Linux claim the same?

My Linux box supports IBM 3390 disk drives and OSA network cards.  Can your
Windows box do that?

Gary

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advocacy or Mental Illness ?
Date: 14 Jun 2000 03:46:37 GMT

Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I LOVE YOU was caused by iresponsable UNIX wannabe hacker tipe not by good Windo
> s users. Just arest
> the hacker not Widnows.
rotfl :-)

[rest snipped--comments would be futile]

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

When the revolution comes, count your change.

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jun 2000 03:51:07 GMT

Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You know I can only see two possible explanations for this "Tim Palmer":
[...]
> Looking at his posts, one gets the impression of a young child, but the spelling
> (and other) mistakes are just a little too consistent for it to be a child.
> Most kids (from what I've seen) tend to make different spelling errors over
> time, yet his posts all seem to have the exact same kinds of errors every time.
All too true.  I'd almost think ...
3. someone has improved the now infamous Boris.pl .

Ok, to be more serious ...
4. Tim Palmer is an ex-cultist who's trying to substitute something new
for his old faith.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

While my BRAINPAN is being refused service in BURGER KING, Jesuit
priests are DATING CAREER DIPLOMATS!!

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: iMacs With iTitude
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:55:35 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2000 21:27:07 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:10:20 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
>
> >> Under UNIX, the mount point is part of the file path, remember. Consider
> >> a CD-ROM called "My Photos", with a file on it called "Fred the Cat". On
> >> a UNIX system, you might or might not be able to use the pathname
> >> "/cdrom/Fred the Cat". And what if you have both a CD-ROM and a
> >> CD-writer drive attached (as I do), and you put the CD in the latter?
> >
> >/mnt/cdrw and /mnt/cdrom.  At least that's how it would work on this
> >guy's system.  Oh, and it would likely be /mnt/cdrom/Fred\ The\ Cat.
>
> Yawn..under Windows you need not concern yourself with such tripe.

Nor under kfm. It's a shell thing, not an OS thing.

> And what happens when this mounted CDROM is needed by one of the Linux
> WinAmp Clones (terrible and cheap as they are)?

Could you clarify this, please?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux advocate trapped inside a Windows Box
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:55:48 -0400

"2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Oh yeah, 5.x had a somewhat broken version of adduser; I had to add my
> > users, then go edit the passwd file and remove the password key, then
log on
> > to the account and set a password. The "GUI" version of adduser worked
the
> > same way, I believe. It just wasn't as polished as the new version.
> >

> You what?! I have RH5.2 and no adduser problem.
> adduser foo
> passwd foo
> foo_passwd
>
> no problem.

Maybe it was with 5.1? Dunno, i'll try it again. I had a pretty kludgy
system for a while while I was upgrading. Probably doing it the hard way
anyway. I was a newbie at that time. ;o) Haven't touched a user account from
root since then.

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:03:35 -0400

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" wrote:

> b) Mount points (all UNIXes and Linsux).
> Pros: Pretends to make all your volumes look like a single filesystem.
> Cons: Only *pretends* to make all your volumes look like a single
> filesystem (all kinds of within-file-system-only things don't work, like
> hard links). Notoriously error-prone: Copy files to a mount point
> directory when the volume isn't actually mounted, then mount it,
> and--where did those files go? Not only are they on the wrong volume,
> but you can't even access them until you dismount the second volume
> again!
> Verdict: Incompletely thought-out idea. How come the Linux folks are so
> focused on being so faithful to UNIX, when they could be *fixing* some
> of those long-standing, well-known UNIX problems?

And why would you copy files to an unmounted mount point?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:11:46 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >Note that these developments are mainly details. The main operation of
> >Linux is already far superior to anything Microsoft can offer. (not
> >that it's very hard to do that, but ok)
>

> No it's not. I can stream 48 tracks of digital audio with full FFT
> based effects under WIndows 98SE without a hic-up.

...just make sure you're not on-line when you do it, or your win-modem
will kick in and give you a major pop....

> My scanner/printer
> is supported under Windows, just like 99 percent of every peice of
> hardware out on the market.

Yup, 99 percent of every piece of hardware is supported by windows.
It's when you try to use the other 1 percent that you get blue-screens
and lockups. Just like my Matrox Millenium G400 under win98. I can't
to convert this machine to Linux too.

(And don't DARE ask me if I have the latest drivers, D3D version, and
so forth. Everything is current.)

From: "Robert L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Stocks and your sanity...
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:15:49 GMT

You probably have not set dma and irq corectly.

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:27:42 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You had better post that ditty to the setup groups because you would
> not believe how many people ask the question:
>
> I just installed Wordperfect, now how do I start it?

Did you get a question during install about having CDE? If so,
(and you're running KDE) say yes. This gives you an icon
(a .xpm file). Then make a new application on KDE and use
that icon. Click as usual.

Or put the WordPerfect binary directory on your path and
type "xwp".

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Run Linux on your desktop?  Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:35:06 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So exactly how is Linux going to unseat the already 90 or more percent
> of home/SOHO/desktop users from Windows and entice them into running
> Linux?

How did Windows useat DOS?  How did workstations unseat remote
terminals?  How did computers unseat teams of girls with sliderules? ...
How did jet liners unseat ocean liners?  How did internal combustion
engines unseat buggy whips? ...

You can trace it all the way back to unknapped stone tools.  Play
Civilization sometime.  It's real simple: progress happens.

As a side note, progress almost always upsets someone's profit model
and/or renders their knowledge obsolete.  So they kick and scream every
step of the way, just like you are.  It rarely helps, though.

[fluff deletum est]

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:35:00 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2000 14:03:26 -0500, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:22:21 GMT, Robert L. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>For the 2 part you have buy, do this.
> >>
> >>Put the cdrom on the cdrom tray.
> >>mount it ( mount /dev/cdrom )
> >>go to the good directory ( cd /mnt/cdrom/driver/linux )
> >>install it ( ./install )
> >
> >In Windows:
> >
> >Put the CD in.
> >Close it.
> >Click on its icon in "My Computer".
> >
> >Simple. It works. Does it work on Linux? No.
>
> Why do window's users have to CONSTANTLY lie?

Actually, Mr. Palmer is correct, as Linux doesn't have a
"My Computer" directory. However he is wrong in the
larger point, as one can simply click the cdrom icon
in KDE.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:43:03 +1000

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Lawrence DčOliveiro" wrote:
>

> > b) Mount points (all UNIXes and Linsux).
> > Pros: Pretends to make all your volumes look like a single filesystem.
> > Cons: Only *pretends* to make all your volumes look like a single
> > filesystem (all kinds of within-file-system-only things don't work, like
> > hard links). Notoriously error-prone: Copy files to a mount point
> > directory when the volume isn't actually mounted, then mount it,
> > and--where did those files go? Not only are they on the wrong volume,
> > but you can't even access them until you dismount the second volume
> > again!
> > Verdict: Incompletely thought-out idea. How come the Linux folks are so
> > focused on being so faithful to UNIX, when they could be *fixing* some
> > of those long-standing, well-known UNIX problems?
> >

> And why would you copy files to an unmounted mount point?

Because you *thought* it was mounted.

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:41:33 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:13:26 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I've said it before and I'll say it again. Installation is not usability
> >or reliability.
> >

> Corect. It's just anothar feature to ad to the list of features that Linux _doesn't_
>have.
>
> >Yes a user may find installing these particular devices easier, but the
> >fact that the OS hangs all the time, has to be rebooted constantly.
>
> Yet the user doesn't care, because doing the same things he does now would be a pane
>under Linux,
> even without the reboots.

"pane"? You are a Windows user!

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Simon MUST be in TROUBLE
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:41:29 -0500

lwm wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> <Highly insightful comments deleted for brevity>
>
> I couldn't agree with you more simon. You're intellegence will just
> never allow to operate anything slightly more complicated than a
> toaster. But that's OK. Windows will always be around for you.

LOL.

I just had a vision earlier this evening, of a world where WinCE (or
whatever they've been calling it since the latest attempt to sucker
someone in to using it) actually worked, and was widely accepted on
appliances.  And which, of course, had a custom variant of Clippy
running on each and every device.

Imagine living in an appartment full of appliances obnoxiously
chattering away at you, or to each other if you tuned them out.  Like
the toaster on Red Dwarf, except everything in the whole darn building
was behaving that way.

It would be great for a comic SciFi movie, but I wouldn't want to live
there.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:42:23 -0500

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> Simon777 is sweating his retirement.  His stock is in the crapper so
> he's fudding linux as an alternative to micros~1 actually producing
> something worthy of the hype.  If micros~1 wasn't worried about their
> marketshare, simon777 would have no need to FUD.

I thought he was sweating having to learn something other than VB to
keep his job.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Run Linux on your desktop? Why? I ask for proof, not advocacy lies....
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:38:01 GMT

> And that is exactly why nobody else is interested. They have to be
> comaptible with accountants, lawyers, doctors, police, admins etc all
> of which are using Windows.

Wrong.  You better get out and look at what the criminal justice system
is using today.  Windows might be the predominant desktop, but the
interoperability issues have nothing to do with the OS.  Criminal
justice integration has progressed far beyond that; PDF and XML are the
standards for legal document interchange, and they're both extremely
well supported under Linux/UNIX.

[snip]
> I have used every single, currnet distribution of Linsux except
> Slackware, and they all suck...

Bullshit.  You are either an idiot or a liar.  If I had used a Linux
distro and it was crap, I would never have tried another.  On the other
hand, I have used every version of Windows, past and "currnet", and they
all suck.  Of course I had them rammed down my throat by a PHB....

> I can discuss each one in detail if you wish and they will still come
> up short.

I doubt it.  You have no clue about the software used by the criminal
justice community, why should you be clueful about anything else?

>  i am quite unlike the typical LinoShill that used Windows 5 years ago
> and was pissed off.

Really?  Are you maybe more like the MSFT-shill that couldn't figure out
Linux and got pissed off?

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:52:26 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bobby D. Bryant) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Let us know when Windows runs on everything from a 486 to a mainframe,
> >and then we'll start making comparisons of which has the best "hardware
> >support".
>
> Let us know when Linux supports AHA1520 and SB16 without resorting to hand
> massage certain script files. Oh yeah, Windows supports these without even
> a hiccup.

You miss my point, which is: if you can say one OS is worse than another
simply by naming some hardware that it does not support, then both sides are
allowed to play that game.  My post was not to show that Linux is better, but
rather to show that I reject this kind of argument utterly.  It's absurd to
claim that "mine" is better because it supports something that "yours"
doesn't, when the argument can be turned around simply by naming a different
device.

If one's H/W support was a strict subset of the other's, then someone might
be able to make a case on the basis of H/W support.  Meanwhile, it's a stupid
rhetorical trick that shouldn't convince anyone with more than a few
functional brain cells.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas